Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Rode to work misfiring on 1 cylinder until the engine got hot enough to boil the rainwater out from around the spark plug. Man, I gotta get a cover.

Also, tried out my $21.50 ebay Nolan helmet.:c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Pulled the carbs back off the Nighthawk (hopefully for the last time). Reattached the carb & filter boots to the airbox with contact adhesive--poo poo's hard enough to reassemble without all the boots popping out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Reassembled the Nighthawk carbs with new fuel tube o-rings, bench-synched 'em, threw 'em back on...

...and they leak worse than ever. :suicide:

Time to stop being a cheap, impatient bastard and just order the correct o-rings.

Edit: Individual o-rings? Naw, gently caress that, sell me a $35 kit. Assholes.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^ Sounds like fun. Seriously, I love this kind of stuff. Price was right, too.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Where are you having trouble? Lever end or clutch end? What exactly have you loosened/removed? Pics would help, too.

'Sup, ChengShin-shod '82 CB650 buddy!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Both ends. I can go grab some pictures and post.

Please do. We'll figure it out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Okay, here we go:

Remove clutch lever pivot bolt.
Remove lever from perch, and cable end from lever.
Loosen adjuster stop collar and unscrew adjuster from clutch perch.
Loosen jamnuts on engine bracket (picture 2).
Using needlenose pliers, small screwdriver, etc., pull cable end (just the cable, not the sheath) toward the rear of the bike, then out the slot in the actuator lever (picture 1).
Unscrew rear jamnut all the way, and pull the sheath forward far enough to get the cable sideways out of the slot in the engine bracket.
Un-route the whole assembly out of the frame. Pay attention to the routing.
Turn the stop collar so that the slot aligns with the slot in the adjuster.
Transfer adjuster assembly, jamnuts, and shredded remains of boot to new cable.
Reassemble and adjust.

Lemme know if you get stuck.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Once you pull the lever out of the perch, the barrel/ball on the end of the cable should practically fall out of the lever. It will not pull through the perch with the adjuster screwed in--see step 3.

^^ What he said. Typed a hurried reply, may not be in absolutely ideal order.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Okay, ignore what I said about removing the adjuster--there's a slot in the perch. Just align the adjuster, stop collar, and perch slots (pic 3).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

Didn't take a very long ride, but got a nice panorama. http://djmarvin.org/17mai/askpano.jpg

Why must you taunt us so, with your beautiful vistas?

E: double post--sorry. :downs:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

mangled adjuster

Holy poo poo. Problem identified.
Cable won't go into what clamp?

dietcokefiend posted:

I dont have anything else to say except those are some of the most delightful repair shots ever. If only everyone could shoot pictures of parts with bright colors in the background :3:

Focusing on the bike; they just came out that way. No shutter skillz here.

The tree nursery in the background is preferable to corn, or godawful McMansions. Plus, it's funny to see the workers in long pants and sleeves in 80* weather. :ese:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nono, don't pry on it, you'll crack/break it. Just go at it with some sandpaper wrapped around a pencil/screwdriver/whatever, or a round file. There's probably just enough corrosion built up on the aluminum to cause trouble.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^ Ah, yes. 100YiI, the sheathing (where the nuts thread on) only fits through the round hole in the center of the bracket--it won't slip through the notch in the side.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yeah, I've got that part. The actual little bracket on the bottom of the clutch housing itself is what's giving me trouble.

Oh, okay. The slot that the cable goes through? Put a flat-blade screwdriver in there, then give it a little twist like you're turning a screw. Then try the cable. Keep going, a little at a time, until you get it. You'd really have to reef on it to do any damage. (Put the screwdriver in from the front, where the round hole is--not from the side.)

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 18, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Glad I could help.

*eagerly awaits Superhawk build thread* :munch:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dietcokefiend posted:

I love the weather right now. Entire week of riding ahead :dance:

drat straight! Last 2 mornings it's been 30* with frost. Caged it to work 'cause I'm a pussy.

Content! Today I made this:

Click here for the full 1066x1600 image.

Tomorrow we'll see if it works. Note the shutoff valve at bottom-center, which can be closed to allow use on 2-carb setups. :science:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

Tomorrow we'll see if it works.

Nope. Abject failure. The oil is too light; carbs started sucking it out of the tubes almost immediately. Installed cigarette filters flow restrictors, but it was pulsing so badly there was no way it was going to work.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The NonBornKing posted:

I used automatic transmission fluid in a similar 2 carb setup and it worked beautifully, are you sure there is unrestricted flow between the base of the four tubes?

Yep, it's all brass fittings. I may undo the fancy-pants brass and just tie the tubes together with vacuum tees.

Content: I fiddled around with the synch screws and got acceptable starting and idle. Revs right up with no bogging, settles right back to idle. Swapped the tail cowl over to the slightly-less-tattered fleabay seat, and reinstalled seat and tank. Aired up forks and tires. Lubed cables and chain. Turned rear shock preload all the way up. :btroll:

Swapped out the floppy Emgo left-hand mirror for the rusty round one off the CB750:

:pwn:

Main fuse upgrade:

Shiny new registration sticker!

Registration and insurance card in hand, I hopped on and took off down the road. It ran like poo poo. Missing on at least 2 cylinders. Closing the choke had no noticeable effect. 40mph in 3rd was all she had. Limped it back home. Time to bust out the meter and test the coils and plug wires. If I don't find anything there, I'll pull the carbs. Again. :suicide:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That looks awesome. Something about long-rear end pipes sticking way out past the rear wheel just rubs me the wrong way.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
LH controls go for ~$20 on Ebay, if you're not feeling adventurous. Hell, tear it apart anyway, just to learn how it works.

So when are we going to see pics of this heap beast?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^ You're right, I'm overthinking it. Chairon, pull it apart and look for wear/damage.

Of all the crazy, stupid poo poo...

On a whim, I pulled the air filter and took another spin. Holy poo poo, does this thing run. I'm so elated right now, I can barely type. 650 Four > 200 Twin.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've read about that. Since I don't have sidecovers (:argh: HONDA), I'm going to try taking a hole saw and cutting the "hump" out of the middle of the cover. I'll get a new filter, new plugs, and an 18mm plug socket (:argh: HONDA), get the basics squared away, then do some serious carb/timing/valve tuning.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Chairon posted:

tomorrow, lads and lasses, I am going to the parts store, picking up my o-rings, cranking my radio as high as it goes playing "Born to Run" and shes going to start.

Well?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm new here. I should behave.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 27, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced my air filter with a new Emgo:

Honda OE filter medium is black, right? :downs:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh for gently caress's sake. Other than the bike running poorly, how are you to know when it's dirty? ("Replace after every X miles" is not the answer I'm looking for.)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*fills air filter with feces, puts it in a box, mails it to Canada*

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Checked valve clearances. Everything was okay. Pulled the carbs. (Again.) Swapped out the #120 Keyster main jets for the SC-specific 118's. Popped the caps to see if any of the CV pistons were sticking. Looked everything over with a more discerning eye than I did when I assembled them, and noticed things like this:

Click here for the full 1712x1082 image.

Worst one shown for dramatic effect, but all 4 were hosed. Dug out the piston/needle assemblies from the original carbs, cleaned them, then swapped them around amongst the carbs until I found the best fit for each one.

Lunch break, I'll report back later.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Update:

Fired right up, idled OK at ~1100 rpm. Not buttery-smooth, but it doesn't sound like it's about to die, either. Pilots are set at 1-1/2 turns out, that's where they'll stay for now (if it ain't broke...). There's still a noticeable (but not frightening) stutter between 5500 and 7500, especially in 5th, but not as bad as it was. The biggest difference? It actually redlines now! 75 in 3rd gear? Yes, please.

*eagerly awaits Ola's trip report*

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Went up to Mohican State Forest, putted around and looked at the scenery. Got home, shut it off, then decided to park in a different spot.

Starter: *click*

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phat_Albert posted:

It is my dream to work on a bike while sitting on a couch :allears:

Gold brocade chaise lounge, some potted palms, and a naked slave girl feeding you grapes. :hist101:

Or a couple chairs.

Off-topic, e/n content: Not doing anything to my ride today; I'm watching the kids while my wife attends her cousin's funeral. :cry:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 22, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phat_Albert posted:

Oy, I hope it was a quick death because it doesnt sound like a painless one.

They pried him out, he said "Where's my wife", and dropped dead. He also had a broken neck. RIP, Little Kenny.

Ola posted:

Parked on shards of glass.

Were you in Hollister? (Please tell me someone gets this.)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^ 1947, specifically.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

UserNotFound posted:

Today I put new bars on my 82 GS550l, and realized that yes, the old one had weight to dampen vibrations. My hands are all rattly now, and I think it will be less comfortable around town, but at highway speeds it's much more comfortable, I think.

(Its also more fun in the twisties, and less fun in parking lots)

What style of bars are those (superbike, Daytona, etc.)?

Your WD-40 appears to be paying homage to its creator.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Rode to work.
Pulled into parking space.
Switched ignition off.
Shut petcock off.
Dismounted

...with the kickstand still up.:doh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Did it fall to the ground or did you gain the strengths of 10 men with the adrenaline pumping through your veins to save it? I've had some miraculous garage tip over saves in my time

No, it fell against the truck next to it*. Gouged his fender flare, cracked my windshield right down the middle. Didn't give a poo poo about the bike, don't like damaging other people's property.
(Truck's owner shrugged it off, said he was just glad I came & told him.)

Pvt. Public posted:

Are you really supposed to turn the petcock to off? I only ever touch it when I have to get to reserve gas.

27-year-old Honda. Ounce of prevention.

Mercator posted:

:ssh:This is how you should dismount. Kickstand out after you've dismounted.

I'm trying to picture myself holding the bike up while I swing a leg over. Ain't seein' it.

*I leave room for other riders to share the space.

VVV This, with sad emphasis on "usually".

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 2, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gr3y posted:

Why, oh why! can I not readily find parts for a bizarre edition of a bike that Honda built for one year?

'82 CB650SC owner here. I feel your pain. :glomp:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Went for a ~3 hour ride, logged my 2000th mile on this bike (it wasn't road-ready until late May).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

There's no brakes at the moment either. :downs:

That never stopped you before :downsrim: