Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Crayvex posted:

pics of my Cobra Commander outfit on the bike.

That's incredibly awesome if you're not bullshitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Washed the bike and buffed out tons of gravel scratches with 2000 grit sandpaper and polishing compound. Some of the deeper ones need paint, so I'm ordering some red and black touchup paint.

Tried to find out why my right turn signals won't engage, but to no avail without starting to strip the bike down.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Pulled this friendly little fellow out of my rear tire.

I tried four times to patch it with those awful tar threads, but each time it developed a slow leak once the tire hit ~40 psi. I'm leaving one in overnight without putting it under pressure and seeing what that does.

Thank gently caress the tire is nearly bald, I'd have been livid if I caught that one in the new Pirelli I'm looking at.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Oh no, something is missing!

Oh, there you are.
Time to change tires the cheap-rear end redneck way! :clint:

I placed it down there and using the wood as a lever on a smaller block, broke the bead of the tire. (The paint scratched off was from some jackass a PO payed 50 bux to gently caress their rims up)

To actually get the tire off, I used cut outs from the thick plastic Folger cans to protect the rim while I pried the rubber off with a tire rod. It is absolutely critical that you use Classic Roast™.

The green piss is Slime tire sealant, which did not work worth poo poo. I'm a bit confused on why it stayed a liquid instead of actually doing anything to plug the hole.

Using the magic Folger slips, I muscled the tire back on with a friend. Tada!

A quick and shoddy balance job later, the wheel went on with a bit of a fight.

One thing I learned was that when the bike is in neutral, the chain is a little shorter in slack than when it is in gear, which stopped us from getting the wheel seated for a good 20 minutes.

In the future, I'm never paying some rear end to scratch my rims up for me, but I'm definitely ponying up for a rear stand after that.

Bixington fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 18, 2011

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Patched a leak I got from a toothpick (seriously, a loving toothpick), rebalanced the tire, and tensioned the chain down. Added bonus, I forgot to tighten the axle bolt all the way in since I was so giddy to go riding, but I remembered after a couple of minutes down the road.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Roommate cleaned and unfucked his carbs for the second time and got his beater XJ600 running. I managed to give it a little bit of a wheelie accidentally after riding it back from filling it up and it even started cold this morning without drama, so the bike is getting serviceable.

I have to fix my bike too... :unsmith:

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

:smith: Winter, I hate you.

Cleaned the ice off my seat and lubed my chain while helping my friend get his carbed bike's rear brake flushed and engine running in 25 degree weather. Then we rode around all day like men who don't let some cold weather freeze their vaginas off.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Where did you order those?

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Man, just yesterday some guy with an Impreza with a sticker saying some crap like "Keep drooling I'm spooling" on it would not piss off. My roommate with a literally taped together XJ600 smoked him off the line eventually.

Also somebody tried to steal his bike last night but left mine mysteriously alone. Assholes tried to screwdriver the key, then pulled random wires to try to hotwire it. Luckily they managed not to short anything and he got it working fine within the hour.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Deeters posted:

Hearing it prime when I first turn the key makes me feel like a fighter pilot :c00l:

Flicking the killswitch and hearing everything turn on is awesome.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Parked it in a sweetass shed the landlords built for us after somebody tried to steal them. For free! :swoon:

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Seems like you'd want diesel to detonate at fairly low pressures, you're not hitting the detonation point by pressure in gas engines (at least I don't think you are...)

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

The internet says diesel has an RON of ~20

My logic was probably all wrong for assuming it being low though. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Definitively diagnosed the rolling knock I've had for a little while. I was afraid the front sprocket had chucked a tooth or something, but there's just a smallish section of chain with different slack. How's that happen anyway?

Edit: Oh, I also bent the broken peg return spring on the left side until it worked again.

Bixington fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2012