Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

The News posted:

Britain is about to experience an early winter, with snow expected to arrive as soon as next month, forecasters have warned.

Temperatures over the next three months will plummet to below average with one long-range forecaster predicting snowfalls in October.

Installing grip cuffs in anticipation of the above. Brr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't see the problem.

Anustart?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Looked forlornly at it under its cover. Hasn't really stopped raining here for weeks.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
New shock absorber, new brake pads, new indicators, new tyres, new indicators, new rear end..

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Rode for the first time after a week of torrential rain.

It's still raining, I just decided to deal with it.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Rode it through 2ft deep flooding. Splashed the cars despondently deciding to risk it on the other side a little. Was pretty fun.

malal posted:

This is kind of a cross post, I'm building an Ork warbike and put occasional updates in the warhammer modeling/painting thread. I though someone here might get a kick out of it.

I finished the fairing skull and fixed the teeth on the iron gob.

I also got the sights mounted for the yet-to-be-built Dakka cannons

Lastly, I pulled the front pieces off to do the final clay and plastic work on them. almost ready for the painter!

Speaking of, I have the tank ready for paint. Just waiting to here when is a good time to bring it to my guy.

Hands down the best custom I have ever seen!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bought my bike with aftermarket Renthal bars but the PO provided the old ones, which were narrower and had a slightly lower profile. Decided to fit them today for the hell of it, and I love the result. The steering feels much more responsive, and the position is a little more comfortable.

Edit: Also, when cleaning, I found a little bit of tape on the exhaust. Peeling it off, underneath was written "not for road use." Great!

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2014

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Supradog posted:

Refreshed the k&n air filter and installed a Honeycomb seat cover.
Keeps me an extra 5mm off the seat. Mainly to get some better airflow during the summer and reduce the sitting in a puddle effect.

Not gotten a chance to try it yet, but looks to work as advertized.

Edit: rode to work this morning. Improved airflow actually made it a bit cold on my rear end with it only being 8c outside. Gonna be nice for summer riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOqqsSYzto

Does it stop your significant other from continually butt-sliding into your seating area on steep declines or moderate braking?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Decided that I needed a project while off work, and started looking at improvements to make on my Honda NVT650. I picked it up about 6 months ago and have been riding it every day regardless of weather on a long commute, and since it was pretty apalling cosmetically to begin with, I decided to have a go at respraying the panels and generally touching it up.

No before image unfortunately. I initially sprayed plasti-dip on the panels and tank and it looked great, but even after a day the 4-coat started to rub off the tank where my leather clad knees go. Pulled it all off and used proper spray paint instead. Fortunately, the tank and panels are laughably easy to remove on the Honda, a matter of two minutes work and some swearing.

Rubbed it all down and used a grey primer coat. Discovered a couple of things; 1) Primer nozzle need to be treated with respect or when you put the can gun on it will explode in your hand and become unusable, 2) Don't drop your debit card in halfords car park or some prick will steal it and attempt to buy a £1,200 quid telly from Curries and you'll receive a call from the bank wondering if you really wanted to drain your overdraft on pizza and consumer electronics, and 3) If you spray paint in your garden, every loving insect will flock to the smell of fresh paint and affix themselves to your fresh paint, smudging minute-old coat and requiring tweezers to remove. I digress. Followed up with matte black which looks pretty nifty. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Since I want to do two-up camping trips over easter, I looked into getting a back/pannier rack too. The standard ones for the NVT cost anywhere between £120-£200 new, so instead I cobbled one together out of aluminium bars which were lying around the house, and the end result is pretty pleasing, and can withstand me sitting on it without shifting, setting me back about a fiver for m8 bolts the right length. Going to make some struts that go from behind the passenger footpegs to the bottom of the frame and affix some panniers once I find some, probably some ex-army lockable jerrycans I saw outside the surplus shop in town.

Overall pleased, the bike looks a lot tider and actually quite attractive. Will post pictures from a camera not made in 1997 when I get a chance.

EDIt: Oh, and also sprayed ceramic heat-proof paint on the exhaust which was a rusty chrome affair. Pretty productive day overall.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 27, 2015

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Nice sunny day. Decided to paint the frame and logo electric blue.

Also bolted the panniers on properly with nylocks. Wingnuts were convenient but would shake off on the bypass.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

clutchpuck posted:

I'd like some nylock wing nuts.

Q.F. F'in T.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Marv Hushman posted:

Thanks for the unintended 80s ear worm from Icehouse. NOT.

I was wondering why I had David Bowie stuck in my head all day.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I .. bought it back.

I sold my Xr650r in December, thinking I wouldn't need it in London and hoping somebody would put it to proper use.
The new owner is emigrating and asked if I knew anyone who'd like to buy it. Turns out that somebody is me.

I am very, very pleased to have it back.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Collateral Damage posted:

If you love something, set it free. :3:

Coydog posted:

The only better choice than this would be to have never sold it in the first place.

I actually love it more now it returned to me. Like a boomerang that somehow picked up an icecream up on the way back.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Revvik posted:

Safari 28L white tank to finish the color swap from yellow. Where I’m moving (AZ), this will probably be an important component of its dirt clothes.

The dirt wheels otoh have been soaking every day in PB blaster to get the old loving disc and sprockets off.

I’m probably going to be posting a sale ad for the original yellow plastics, metal tank, and the oversized yellow plastic tank I ruined. I’d take a small white tank for street in trade probs.

Really like how this looks. The all white really suits. Slightly jealous of the monster tank, I'd love one for my 650r, though 21l is quite enough for now. On that note..

- Entire bottle of muc-off for winter crud build up.
- Resprayed side panels in white, luggage rack and exhaust guard in matte black. They all had started to look a bit tatty.
- Deliberated on trying to colour match the front shield to the acerbis race red of the guards/tank but decided on white, too. Big improvement of the slightly wrong red before.
- Replaced front headlamp.
- Cleaned carburettor of some red gunk that had clogged up the bottom and caused the entire fuel tank to drained out of the overflow, into a drain, and caused my entire building to stink of petrol. Also installed a fuel line filter: suspect there's a dodgy lining on the inside of the acerbis tank and it's causiing the carburettor cack.
- Handlebar phone/GPS mount installed.

Next week-

- New front indicators, they keep burning out.
- Respray side stand.
- Fit pillion foot pegs for SO.

Sometime-

- Strengthen subframe for future pillion/luggage for motorventuring.
- Get custom seat for long distance comfort.

Wall of text due to free time and 2 consecutive hours of sunlight for the first time this year.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Need another bracket and a terminal, but like how it looks.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 10, 2018

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
... gently caress.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Fixed the new headlights/rack with galvanized steel brackets, as the provided ones felt a bit flimsy. Protaper contour handlebars and pillow top grips.

Despite the robot aardvark styling and chortling of goons, I'm actually pleased. The rack is useful for extending the sparse luggage options, and removing the shield removed the blind spot, making London filtering much easier.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

giant baja headlight.

Hunted around for the Baja style ones, found them to be prohibitively expensive. Might switch if I see one come up cheaper.

Slavvy posted:

gently caress I didn't realise that was THAT bike.

Once again: goddamn you to hell, give it to me immediately.

Once I've ridden it across Asia and it's shaken my rear end to bits I'll probably hand it over willingly.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Took tank off, cleaned petcock filters, rinsed entire tank, changed all the fuel hosing cleaned carb, reassembled. Went for a ride and engine started to struggle after a mile.

Home, tank off, carb cleaned (once again mysterious red grit), valves adjusted (way out, also the R has no way to manually crank other than turning the back wheel so that was fun), cursed, changed fuel lines again, put all back together with the intention of limping to a mechanic.

Ran perfectly, cursed again, bought a new filter. My next bike will have efi and a warranty.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

So after more fiddling and considering a coat, I discovered the cause of my problems: fuel pressure too high.

When I first got the bike back I changed the fuel lines to be more direct and less kinky, as well as rotating the carb to be upright when the bike was upright- I think the interim owner aligned it to upright on side stand. With two petcocks open the carb was flooding out and (somehow) getting the mix wrong. Now with one petcock open it is back to buckets of power and effortless wheelies; spent 300 very happy miles on it yesterday in the sun.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not today, but I installed handlebar end weights, and had a new seat upholstered by a local guy.

Vibration is down to almost nothing and the highway is uncomfortable after 2-3 hours rather than 1. Relatively small change for a huge quality of life improvement.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I don't know if its the photographs but that's a really nice softer pastel-y red on a lovely bike

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm biking down to spend a month in the Sahara later this year as part of a larger trip, and one of the things I've battled with has been getting a lighting/front fairing solution I like. Thumper vibration seems to be anathema to filament bulbs, and they chuck out mediocre light in any case, especially on the xr's lovely stock stator.

My old rallyraid fairing was full of holes so I did some (sloppy) fiberglass repair and some (even sloppier) painting to at least get it in the same colour spectrum as the rest of the bike. Then I built an aluminium frame inside it and a mounting kit, and bolted some LED lamps to it.

The result is a comically bright lighting system and better wind protection. And when I say comical I mean the 36w led, where the 36w filament bulbs produced a barely legal firefly glow, scorches the eyeballs of all those with the temerity to gaze upon it. I'll need to make some sort of shroud; temporarily a rubber flap is doing little to protect the public.

There's also a little storage pouch Infront of the handlebars now, which is nice.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

That’s pretty great. Are you planning on doing a lot of riding at night or just want to be safe just in case?

Bit of both. I also commute before sunrise and after sunset on country roads so more light always helps.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Rebuilt the lighting system into the rally fairing, as well as installing a dry box that houses an also-new phone charger for longer trips.
The charger runs off the (redundant) high beam switch and works great.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

Got my intake adapter made, eBay FCR cleaned and mounted, and then took a heat gun to my tank until it all fit. Pilot circuit is perfect, easiest bike I've ever kickstarted. Gotta check the AP squirt timing tomorrow.

Nice, what year?
Still have the stock carb, is the aftermarket a big upgrade?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

It's a 2000. The OEM carb is totally fine and I know multiple people that never messed with theirs other than jetting. You can find an FCR40MX from a CRF250 between 06 and 08 on ebay for anywhere from $100 to $250. The throttle response is great and worth it to me but requires tank reshaping and fabricating an intake adapter or just buying something from NOSS:

http://nossmachine.com/carburetor-adapters/

I'll have more feedback on the carb once I convince WI to accept my title and issue me a plate.

Yeah the OEM does bog down if you snatch the throttle but otherwise not problematic. Probably a little outside my ability to fit a new one.

I'm taking a motorcycle mechanic course at the local college this year so maybe I'll think about changing it up when I'm a little more confident.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

Not to mention the reliability and how easy they are to work on. Particularly compared to something like a honda or a yamaha!

He's already back, are you trying to give him an aneurysm

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Made bedside table lamps out of the old sprocket and brake disc

Also took apart the rear caliper, lubed the moving bits and polished with acf50.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Finally got my wheel back from being refurbished, added new sprocket and chain and put back on the bike. First step in a winter of rebuilding and learning. Next is steering head bearings and front brake rebuild.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
It looks pretty awesome

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Ordered a FCR carb from an 08 crf250.
Looked good on the advert, but on arrival the pilot screw was completely mangled and missing the spring/oring. The housing felt pretty mangled too, so I'm sending it back.
I don't mind replacing parts and expected to at least change the jets, but if the carb housing itself is buggered there's no chance

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

I sent my first ebay FCR back for being mis-listed as the wrong year, making it an FCR37 besides which it was crusty as poo poo. The second one was also crusty as poo poo but the casting numbers indicated it was actually a 40mm carb so I just sent the seller a picture of the inside of the float bowl and he gave me half my money back. After a dip in the ultrasonic and thorough cleaning it seems totally fine. Here's wishing you better luck the second time around.

The second attempt one was really clean, had the right size jets to start with and an aftermarket fuel screw. I took it as positive karma for being nice to the guy who sold me the busted one.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not my ride but changed the cylinder head gasket on a gsxr1000 at college today. Was pretty cool

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There's a shitton of companies rebranding cheaply made Chinese accessories for an insane markup re. the above. Pretty smart business model

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bit the bullet and ripped the old electrical harness out to see what I can salvage before building a new one. It's icky and gross under there.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I actually despise London drivers so much I told my agency I no longer wanted to go there to work

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

I started by sanding out the deep pits in the clutch cover that have worsened over the years and got a bit carried away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Steakandchips posted:

Why is the coiled Gerbing extension cable (a pretty much mandatory part) not included with the heated gloves?

Why does it cost 17 quid? It’s a wire.

Fucks sake. Ordered it. But I’m not pleased.

I mean.. Apple still sells people chargers for 30 quid each and removed the headphone jack for a similar reason.