Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

There's a farmers coop on the way into town that sells ethanol free gas, I always gas up there. Same price as E10 even.

http://pure-gas.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I sometimes wish I could get premium gas that supposedly has no ethanol, but I swear the engine runs worse on premium for some reason. It just feels less snappy and acts more cold-blooded. 87 octane is where my bike is happiest.

That sounds about right, higher octane gas is more detonation resistant, so is less efficient for an engine that is specced for 87, which most non ss bikes are.

But why are you looking premium ethanol free in the first place? Place I go to only has 87 non ethanol anyway, and like you said 87 is best.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Oh, that sucks for you guys.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

IIRC the SV650 in general has issues with that particular spark plug location and moisture, so I'd look into that.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

That's the brake you use when you don't need to layer dan.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Alceste posted:

Did the R6 throttle tube mod on my 2000 SV650N. I had to loosen the big adjusters at the carb rack to get enough slack on the cables to get the drat thing on, so it wasn't a quick 10 minute job, and I had to loosen all four adjusters all the way just to get to the factory spec for cable tension.

But it feels "right" now, in a way that's hard to explain since I've never known it any other way. Throttle action, particularly rev matching on downshifts, feels a lot more natural now and the bike seems to be running and idling exceptionally smoothly. Maybe it's the warm weather. I think I almost got busted testing the WOT action on a tollway access road but the cop didn't see me until I had slowed back down again, so it was a good day.

Gen 1 or 2? I've been wanting to do it to my Ninja 500, impossible to get near anywhere near WOT without regripping or creeping. I went ahead and ordered both, and did the zip tie method while waiting for them to arrive to see how much a difference it made.

Stock is 33.5 mm, zip tie was 1.1 mm thick, so 2.2 added total for an end result of 35.4.

Gen 1 R6 is 1/5 turn throttle with diameter of 36.9, gen 2 is 1/6 turn with a diameter of 40.8. Zip tie didn't really make an appreciable difference so I think I'm just going to stick the 1/6 turn on there, though it will probably require dremeling some of the throttle housing out. I wish someone made a progressive cam, I tapered the zip tie so it was pretty much the same at the beginning and only really made a difference once you got on it. It's only a 500 though, not like it's going to rip the bars out of my hands.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Put some extra heavy bar end weights on and Pro Grip 719 gel grips. I like the grips, even discounting how much better they feel in general, they are stickier so less gripping needed. Bar end weights helped a lot too, Ninja 500 is buzzy as gently caress.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I drink whiskey (bourbon or scotch) these days, my debilitating alcoholism almost feels classy.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Budweiser? I don't know a single person who drinks that honestly, besides the guys who just pick up a 6 pack of whatever from the gas station, either cause they're broke, don't care, or don't know any better.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Added a mount for my phone for GPS, ram had a pretty cool thing that replaces a bolt on the handlebar bracket with one a bit longer that accommodates the ball. Also swingarm spools.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Alternatively, do you only bleed them once because it's a pain in the rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I always feel bad when clutchpuck posts, it's like some twisted version of stockholm syndrome.