Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aired up the tires and rode it. Finally.

The rejet seemed to go well. Its just a little lean, which means it will probably be fine once the weather warms up.

Now I just have to get some braided lines and tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Ninja looks sharp in those colors. You dont see that scheme very often.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rejetted the Bandit for the 90th time this spring. I'm getting it really close. Almost to the point that I'll need to stick it on a dyno just to get an a/f reading from the sniffer.

Its running good though, if you roll on the throttle over 3K in first its wheelie time, which is really crazy, as I'm more used to the top-end rush of my old GSXR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Twas, yes. The RD was a whole different animal though. A tiny, smoky, electrically iffy animal.

I dont have any plans to get rid of the Bandit in the near future, its pretty much exactly what I want in a street bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FINALLY got a new chain and sprocket for ye olde Bandit. The parts counter guy warned me that going to a front sprocket without the goofy Suzuki rubber baffle on it might make the chain louder, but I havent noticed anything.

I hand-filed the old chain rivets off because I am a man. A man who doesnt own a grinder.

For anyone looking for a chain breaker, this thing works like a charm, and its only $9 to boot.

Now I have the rear-end torn apart because I am replacing the stock rear shock with one from a 2008 GSXR-1000, should be a nice upgrade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Swapping a GSXR shock into my Bandit did one thing: make me realize how mushy the front end is :(

Pretty soon its going to be Busa front-end time, I can tell already.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Went for a ride with some internet people, didn't get far. :( A guy backed into me at a gas station, bike went over and clutch lever broke. We agreed on a cash deal, he gave me ~$190. Just ordered the clutch lever, it was $10. :D

Some scratches on the stator cover and mirror, but I can live with that.

edit: at least I have the day to finish my ride report.

poo poo you could get your bike tipped over for a living

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Moved it into a new storage unit:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Actually have enough space to work on the bike now. And now it's time to acquire a project of some sort...

It is my dream to work on a bike while sitting on a couch :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

Off-topic, e/n content: Not doing anything to my ride today; I'm watching the kids while my wife attends her cousin's funeral. :cry:

Oy, I hope it was a quick death because it doesnt sound like a painless one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ari.gato posted:

Tightened, and lubed the chain / sprockets, and cleaned out the area where the front sprocket resides. Lot's of greasy buildup in there.

Nextup, order a Factory Pro Jet Kit and clean my carbs. Yay.

EDIT - Would any of you know which jet kit is better? They Dynojet or Factory Pro?

Dynojet probably. In the Bandit world, FP is known for making horrible jet kits that are way too rich for the settings they recommend. My Bandit came with an FP kit installed by the previous owner, and it was garbage. I rejetted with stock mikuni parts, and its a world of difference.

I cant imagine that this problem is limited only to the Bandit kits. Dynojet uses weird jet numbering, but they do work well. I'd go with them over FP.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a Sportster? :staredog:

Man, I should keep my eyes open for one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

A 1992+ sportster is a great bike for someone who wants to mess around with riding configuration. The amount of aftermarket parts is enormous.

One of my dreams is to pick up a ratty sportster for cheap and either give it the Storz treatment, or build it like the one pictured.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Deleted the rear fairing from my Bandit. Moved the computer and its harness, and the lighting/fuse harness. Deleted the PAIR can and its hoses. Rerouted the seat lock cable to under the seat. I used a couple of angle brackets (inside corner braces) to reattach the taillight; It looks pretty OK, and would look great if I could be arsed to put some black paint on it.

I reinstalled the PAIR check valves directly under the carbs, but I'd like to get rid of all of that. What's the approved method to block vacuum hose from the carb? I was just going to put a screw with RTV in the hose.

Also, the fuel tank vent hose now points at nothing somewhere under the battery box. Is that OK? Should I cap that as well, or is it important to have a tank vent?

Edit: I have no idea what this stupid canister was. I don't see it in the service manual, and can't find it described online. It's not PAIR; that's a valve and some hoses leading to the cylinders. This was a California-model bike, but the California hose routing diagram has the hose that goes to the canister leading straight to the ground. I found it in a parts diagram as "canister" with some fuel and purge hoses and valves. I don't know, but it's not there anymore.

There is an actual PAIR delete kit available from Holeshot. My first-gen doesnt have the PAIR system, so I'm not too familiar with it. I dont believe you can just pull everything out and expect it to run right though.

The tank vent under the tank is actually an overflow drain. It needs to be open and working, because if the tank is overfilled, the gas will pool up in the area where the cap is and just sit forever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a non-stock wheel on the CB, or is it the picture or what? That tire looks excessively meaty for a CB750.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

This. My Bandit only has the rear license plate light for rear visibility. And this makes me nervous thinking about riding at night/rain.

I'm pretty sure all bikes that have the turn signals normally on for visibility only have them in the front. The rear on all bikes is just tail light and license plate light. From the factory anyway. I think thats a DOT rule.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it is in the US at least.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anything with it's indicators on before, though I'm in Oz. I took flash-to-pass as meaning flash the high beams, that's what the pass switch on my GSXR does.

In the US some bikes have the indicators on all the time, and using the turn signal just intermittently turns one of them off. Not all though, leading me to believe that the bikes that have it are also offered in a country that requires it, and they just didn't change the wiring for the US.

Flash to pass is the same here, just flashes the high beams, my GSXR had the same thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Did anyone (in the US) have a bike come with red rear turn signals? I'm 95% sure it's illegal to have always-on rear-facing lights that aren't red, so if all bikes are coming with amber turn signals in the rear (maybe another DOT req?) then of course they couldn't be on in the back.

Older bikes run red turn signals. They switched to orange some time in the mid 70's. My 72 RV90 has red turn signals, but my 75 F11 has orange. It was a rule change by the DOT.

If you're seeing bikes newer than that with red signals, chances are someone changed them out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pulled into my garage in my car and looked at the bike today :smith:

Thought about the other bikes sitting in storage :smith:

Theres salt on the ground, so even though its warm enough to ride, I still cant (wont) :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

I swapped upper triples and attached the factory naked headlight brackets on my Bandit since the rest of the parts will arrive on Tuesday.

SO CLOSE.

You'd better just barf pictures into this thread when its done. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

I thought standard/naked were the same thing. I wasn't planning on telling my insurance anything since they already class my bike as a standard.

Standard is more riding position, naked is a lack of fairings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was under the assumption (and I may be wrong) that dry clutches were different, materials-wise than oil-bathed ones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That has to be the most common bike cover on the planet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mootmoot posted:

Easier to pop a power wheelie :riker:

Ugh just get out already

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If its like other Yamahas of that vintage, I think you'll be floored when you find out:

A) How bad and sloppy the old bushings were

and

B) How much better it handles with new bushings.

Putting new bushings in my RD350 was pretty night and day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

_Dav posted:

No.

Everyone look at how wrong this guy is. Look at him and laugh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sv650's have two headers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

_Dav posted:

http://coolbikes1.blogspot.com/2011/08/suzuki-z400.html

Eh? I have a feeling I've got the wrong word here. Header, like header pipes?

You have the right word, there are two of them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Split rim is the best design. Makes changing tires super quick and easy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuuuuuuck I'm jealous

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bikes are all carbed, so when I turn them on I feel like a ninja :ninja:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont finance a DRZ.

But DO buy a DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone on supermotojunkie did it with adhesive vinyl, which is a great way to get 99% of the look without risking expensive wheels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the walkin dude posted:

Yeah. That's part of insurance requirements here too, if I want to get my bike off insurance.

Huh, that sucks. I keep all my old plates. They wind up on my garage wall.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Took the day off and finished the front wheel, didn't clean any overspray though :\

Thats awesome, also scrub the overspray off with some cornering

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the plan, although the overspray on the bead will have to be cleaned off I think. There's a video of them spinning with my fat bod on a small bike. Girlfriend is uploading it now.

:siren: fat guy warning :siren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdc_imGRLSs

Sweeeeeeet!

-A fat guy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I run premium in my two strokes just to be sure because they can be prone to detonation, and it will kill them in short order.

The four strokes? Regular unless the manufacturer recommends it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

http://www.bikebandit.com/brake-rotors/n1011?m=12818

Depends how much you want to make it cost.

http://www.bikebandit.com/braking-race-rotor?m=12818

That seems waaaaaaaay too cheap for what it is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wouldnt think a CB is at much risk for detonation, which is really the only reason an older bike should be running premium

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

That's what I rode at my MSF and I found it to be a bunch of fun. Pulls pretty nicely for a 200. The stock balloon tire on the back is a little weird but you could get rid of it.

Try to find one in this pattern for maximum bitchin' radical tubularity:

If a TW200 owner were to "get rid of" the ballon tire, then they need to get rid of their TW200.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, run away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

I finally took my Naked bike on the highway for the first time.

I'm still relatively new, and only took it with fairings on a small 90kmh highway before the winter where I tore off the fairing.

120kmh seems to be where the windblast picks up. As people said, you just lean into it a bit. I still felt comfy and as safe as you can feel with nothing around you. It as apparently a windy day. The one thing I need to get used to is using my mirrors on the highway. They aren't big. Bit when I lean forward, they become much less useful. My neck muscles also aren't used to that much wind so shoulder checking is pretty hilarious since my body doesn't expect the helmet turning into a sail the moment I turn it. So I need to practice making sure I can keep track of what's going on around me using my mirrors and shoulder checking more. It was fun popping my highway cherry. One of those experiences you only get once.

As promised Mr. Weird. Vetter bucket and all. (Bucket may change soon, but for now, everything works a treat.)

Looks drat good! After you see a Bandit without the fairings, it makes you wonder why Suzuki ever decided to put fairings on them at all, they just look so good naked!

The wind thing you'll get used to after a while. You wont even notice it once you get used to it.