Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just a little routine maintenance oh my GS500 I bought a little over a month ago.

Oil changed, used 10w40 mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil.

New Bridgestone upfront, although the shop said I should do the rear too so I am going to get that taken care of this week. replaced air filter as well.

I've put about 700 miles on my baby, I'm a new rider and i'm loving it! Commutes are awesome, I can park just about anywhere, and I got about 59mpg last fill up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Workin on the F2.

I finally confirmed my rectifier/regulator is bad by figuring out how to work my dad's multimter and doing a diode test, sure enough, one of them is bad. New one comes in tommorow ( well technically today) hopefully that cures my current charging issues.

I took off the left side fairing, was kind of a pain in the rear end, I want to drain and flush the coolant though. I noticed a tiny oil leak coming out of the generator side case, it's only a few drops every day or so, so no biggie, I suspect it's the gasket possibly not sealed probably or maybe the previous owner reused it. I'll just open it up on the next oil change and swap it out, current oil looks brand new so no need yet.

I'm almost sorta regretting buying the bike, it needs a few little thing but then again i'm learning a lot about it, and learning how to use the multimeter functions is useful. But I don't know, the bike is just so drat FUN. I'm sure i'll get her good to go soon. At least I do'nt have to remove any pesky ROTORS, gently caress those things.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 3, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
replaced the stupidly designed failed Honda Rectifier/Regulator on the Honda F2, was anticipating the UPS guy all day to bring the new one.

Shot of the old one:

God it was fuggered to hell, I noticed it when I bought it just covered in black tape, I didn't know what it was at the time until recently. did a diode test and one of them failed, so I was pretty sure this was the failed part. It takes the AC from the alternator and converts it to DC to the battery, also regulates the flow to the battery so it doesn't over/undercharge. Apparently the original Honda ones get really hot and are prone to fail and lack cooling.

Picture of the new one, much beefier, heavier duty feeling one, with cooling fins!

Started her back up and yay shes got 14.XX volts from measuring the battery when the engine is revved around 3-5k which is a good sign.

I took her out for a spin, picked up a replacement brake lever since the one that was on it was broken in half somehow, bike feels good as new.

I think i'm going to do a radiator flush tommorow. Oil looks new and can wait a while. I ordered a new battery too just in case, i'm not sure if I should swap it or not the current one seems fine.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
1993 Honda CBR F2, Picked it up on Friday posted pictures in the other thread. pretty awesome and fun bike, I don't regret buying it now that i've fixed it's problem of battery dying.

Got a call from the shop this morning about mt GS500 telling me that they retapped the crank and ordered a new rotor/starter clutch/gaskets etc. The bills isn't going to be pretty but I still miss it :( least it'll be good as new again when I get it back. From now on i'm not doing any rotor pulling ever again because I made things worse and more expensive than they needed to be, oh well lesson learned.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I noticed there were a few drops of oil on the ground below my f2, not enough to be seriously concerned about the oil level but might need a top off every few weeks. :argh: took off the left fairing, noticed there was a bit of oil on the bottom of the generator case, so I busted out the torque wrench and torqued all the bolts down evenly, sat all night, and most of today, no more leaks/oil on the ground, i'm happy I don't need to replace the gasket now.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Nothing. Because it's STILL IN THE loving SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^

GS500 still in the shop, apparently the 3 allen bolts that screw into the starter clutch and hold it against the rotor are coming from the east coast, and the place the shop ordered it from is closed down from the blizzard, gently caress.

I'm feeling so much better about buying the F2...

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

I do this quite a bit. The F2 is listed for 1500$, I'd take 1200$ from someone random, or less from a friend or someone I know from a site.

The 636 was listed for 3600$, I sold it for 3450, I would have taken 3200$.

Z1000 was listed for 2600$, sold for 2400$, was considering at one point selling for 2k.

Hah i'd totally take your F2 if I had the funds right now, I love the bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I replaced the radiator cap on my F2, hopefully I stop dripping little drops of predator blood all over the streets of San Francisco. My next day off i'll be replacing the gasket on the stator cover, it's dripping a tiny bit of oil, not enough to be worried about but it's getting on the garage floor, also doing an oil change on top of that since i'm not sure when the last owner did it and i'll have to drain the old stuff anyways.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Changed the oil for the first time in the F2 since I didn't know when the previous owner did it. Also had to put in a new gasket on the stator cover side of the engine.

The drain bolt was easy enough to find.

Ok so apparently the previous owner or whoever worked on it had to have opened up the side cover for some reason.... and they didn't even put a new gasket on :wtf: so there was no gasket all, just some weird rubbery sealer stuff that didn't work because it was leaking a tiny bit of oil before.

Good god trying to get that gasket and the cover and the dowel for the idler gear and cover all lined up and on there was a huge pain in the rear end, it took me a good hour or maybe more to get it all bolted up again.

Ok that old lovely fram filter was on there TIGHT, I didn't have a big enough channel lock to get it off, so I eventually twisted it milimeter by milimeter by hand and it eventually came free, notice my clever little cardboard ramp to channel the old oil away instead of having it drip on the exhaust headers. it's got a nice little bosch filter now. That clutch cable is new too :)

Umm found this semi synthetic Castrol motorcycle oil online for about 6$ a liter so I bought 4 and had to add nearly all 4 of them to fill it up to the correct level. I fired up the bike and it was running great and I double checked the charging system and it was correct. I put the fairings back on and took it for a spin, it could just be me but the bike seems a lot quieter now but maybe it's just me. The oil I drained out didn't look bad at all though. Doing routine maintenance like this is very satisfying.

Next project: changing rear brake pads on the GS500, looks really easy actually, my pads are really badly worn on it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have the Pilot Road 2s, I think i've put about 800 miles or so on them, i'm really liking them a lot compared to the old Metzler Z6s I had before. Great grip with good feel, never had any traction problems. supposedly they're excellent in the rain but I don't think i've taken my F2 in the rain.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The more I tinker with my F2 the more poo poo I discover that the PO hosed up. Properly screwed in the throttle cable to the throttle housing. Fixed the brakelight switch for the front. Fixed the twisted forks. Re-oriented the right clipon so that the kill switch/starter housing was properly placed. Re-aligned the front brake lever so the master cylinder is level. I could go on, but GOD drat. And that's just the controls! Never mind the actual mechanics of the bike, or the electricals...

Haha what are the miles on your F2? I have some interesting quirks with my F2 i've been kinda finding out a little about. The guy or whoever worked on it popped the stator cover off to probably work on something, and didn't put on the old or any gaskte at all back on the cover so it would slowly drip little bits of oil in my garage every week. It's kinda fun fixing little bits of it, like just his last weekend I popped off the instrument cluster to replace one of the bulbs in the tach section, it was surprisingly easy.

Although i've got some weird problem with coolant leaking out of the cap area, I have yet to figure it out, I replaced the cap with a new one, but I still get the same problem, it usually just drips little bits of coolant if i'm sitting at a stoplight and the engine temperature rises, it never overheats or anything, and the fan motor kicks on when it gets to a certain point. Maybe it's my overflow tube? i'm gonna recheck the cap to make sure it's on there tight.

I think i'm going to order a chain riveting/breaking kit, and a chain and sprocket set in another 2000 miles.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So I was going to check if my F2's radiator cap wasn't screwed on all the way, but I happened to find a small pair of pliers and realized this would work really well in removing those pins from the 2 pins that hold the rear brake pads into the caliper on my GS500. The rear brakes seemed to be dragging on the rotor slightly

Hmm

Oh dear god!

Do NOT let your brake pads get so low :( I didn't even realize.

So I inserted back the old calipers, after trying to use a C clamp to push the calipers back, I found a small channel lock instead and gave it a squeeze, worked really well for pushing the pistons back.

New pads in, those little pin holes are pretty trickey, also holding the springs down. Good as new!

late night wrenching past midnight is fun.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

I'd say yes.

I've had brakes not squeal until they hit the metal backing plate.

Gnaghi, Some antisqueal on the back of the brake pad will usually sort any squealing issues out.

Hmm yeah my rear brakes didn't squeak at all when I used them, I only pulled them out because I noticed the rotor was dragging a bit on the calipers, I had a feeling they'd need to be changed soon so I ordered a pair from bike bandit a week ago.

I also hosed up the left side chain adjuster on my GS.... I stripped the threads with the nut somehow, don't try to adjust the chain without taking off or loosening the axle bolt. :( Oh well it's only 15 bucks.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

The real problem is when you ride a bike like that regularly...and it starts to feel slow. And you start doing 110mph everywhere, wondering why your bike isn't pulling like it normally does.

It's funny when I first started riding my F2 I thought i'd never need a bike more powerful than this, I mean it's still crazy how fast I could be going in 2nd gear, easily above the speed limit, sounds great too, but i've gotten slightly used to it, even though I only really rev it up there when i'm on a nice long on ramp or something. It does have me REALLY curious though as to what a modern fuel injected 600cc bike would feel like, or even what a liter bike would feel like.

Also I think i'll be ordering a new chain and sprocket kit for the F2 next week along with a breaker/riveting tool. It's recommended that I grind off the rivets before I attempt to punch it through right? It looks like it'll be fairly straight-forward, I have an impact gun to deal with any really stuck on bolts and a grinding tool to remove the rivet head if I have to.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Heh learned an important lesson last week, DO NOT try to adjust your chain unless it's supported on a center stand or a swingarm stand heh and you actually loosen the axle nut, I ended up bending it and stripping the threads, leaving it useless and the chain was just flopping around.

I ordered a new adjuster earlier in the week and the plate and nut since the old ones were messed up and the threads were pretty stripped. Was pretty easy, i've never removed the axle to the rear wheel before, you just have to kind of support it with a foot and work the axle out. I greased up the axle a bit for good measure and just popped out the old adjuster and popped the new one in and the axle goes right through it, takes a bit of wiggling and fidgeting but it went in.

Re-adjusted the chain properly and it looks good now :) It's kinda fun learning little things and little lessons.

Picture of the old one.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 1, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Organics are just "normal" pads...the metallic are designed for aggressive use. The organics will probably last longer and have slightly less initial bite and grab. Not a big deal :)

Oh crap I bought metallic pads for the GS500 rear brakes, no wonder the rear locks up real easy now :(

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yesterday, I was leaving my driveway, unfortunately I live on a hill with a slightly sloped driveway. As I slowly left the driveway, some subaru legacy comes barrelling down the hill as i'm leaving the driveway, I instinctively grabbed the brakes but the momentum of the hill + turned handlebars caused me to drop my F2 :(. Amazingly only broke the brake lever in half, was able to pick one up in the city for 25$ the same day and replaced it. Just a few scratches on the mirror and a sticker on the right side for the most part.

Nearly Tboned a person on a bicycle WHO RAN A RED LIGHT in San francisco, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? I literally stopped about 2 inches from this guy's right calf.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 13, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Had a mechanic in the bay area come over and did a valve check on my GS, found out the exhaust valve on cylinder #2 was super tight, like going into negative clearance, so basically the exhaust valve was staying open all the time, pretty much explains why the bike was running like poo poo. So after a bit of cursing managed to hold the shim bucket down, and pried the little shim out. Also had the carbs synced.

Took it for a test ride, AMAZING, no more hesistation at idle/low rpms, and mainly, no more stalling out when coming to a stop. Best 100$ ever spent.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

AnnoyBot posted:

To hold the bucket down, do this:

- Remove the spark plug
- rotate the cam fully down so the valve is wide open
- shove a folded over, medium size zip tie in the spark plug hole. If your cylinder head is anything like my XJ650, it should jam itself between the valve and valve seat quite nicely
- rotate the cam 180 deg and remove the shim
- removal is reverse of installation (duh)

Holding the bucket down wasn't an issue, more like trying to pry the shim out of it since it was quite literally in loving NEGATIVE clearance. Also the exhaust valves are a pain in the rear end to work around because of a big piece of metal thats part of the frame is quite in the way.. Wasn't too bad though, funny because we had to go from a 2.75 shim to a 2.50 shim, which is a big gap to go to.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 19, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Broke the 20k mark on the CBR.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I found out the 636 hits about 60mph in first gear and was reading triple digits in 2nd.... oops! It was a long empty on ramp :D.

I think i'm ready for a 1000CC sportbike!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My GS500 was cranking a bit weakly after I got off work, it was super cold out here in the bay area, the battery just didn't have it in it after a few tries.

I managed to bump start it, rode it 28 miles home, I just checked the battery voltage, I guess 12.2 volts is on the weak side (ignition off)

Ordered an AGM battery to replace the old acid filled one.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Argh I pulled the ZX6 out of the garage to take to work today and noticed my right turn signal is missing >:(

I hadn't ridden it since last week, I thought i'd maybe knocked it off against something, but i was no where to be seen on the floor of the garage...

I guess some jerkbag stole it? But who the gently caress steals a stock ugly turn signal?

Well I ordered a pair of flushmounts anyways.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Installed the flushmounts! They look pretty slick in blue matching the fairings like that I think.

Also removing the side fairings was a bit more complicated than I thought, at least compared to my other bikes.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
What kind of bike is it? I know my GS500 would start easily all the time but still die when warmed up.... all it needed was a valve adjustment. Valves clearances that are too tight can create negative clearances where the exhaust valve is almost always being pushed down causing it to run funny and usually die after idling.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Well I put new proper motorcycle tyres on my heavy rear end bike today! I'm pleasantly surprised about how easy and straight forward it is working on this BMW so far, the rear single sided swing arm makes removing the rear wheel as easy as removing the 4 bolts, removing 2 bolts that hold the exhaust to the rearset, loosening up the rear drum a bit and it slides right off. A simple jack under the engine lifts the front an inch or 2 and removing and putting on the front was surprisingly easy. Oh I found out a bit later than the rear wheel was modified and made wider, i'm guessing to put on larger radial tires instead of stock bias plys, luckily Michelin makes PR2s for 18 inch wheels and the same width as the old Metzlers.

I took it for a little spin today, it feels WAY better than when I bought it with it's worn as hell Metzlers, turn in very smooth and crisp, the bike is also surprisingly quick and smooth as hell, I think i'm starting to really like it. I like its unusual exhaust note and how it's so non-Japanesey. I might have to keep it.

You can see the weld around the wheel edge.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Installed manual cam chain tensioner in the F2, gone with the rattles! (most of it)

Pretty easy job once you get all the hoses and clutch cable outta the way. I tightened the plunger screw until it was finger tight then started it up, still had the rattle so I kept tightening slowly until the obnoxious rattle went away. Revved it a few times and it sounded fine with no more rattles!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Took me about 2 days but I finally got my CBR F2 carbs removed. Took some serious tugging and prying.

I of course destroyed one of them in the process by puncturing one of the carbs with a prybar, also snapped off a little vacuum joint thing thats in the #1 cylinder head, i'll have to carefully drill it out and screw a new one in, it's a 4$ part. found a new set of carbs on ebay for ~100$

Also going to replace the 4 intake boots, those things were NASTY on my bike, hard rear end 18 year old rubber. Going to install new throttle cables, along with a valve adjustment.

It has been an interesting learning experience, good thing I have 3 other bikes to ride. :)

Yeah don't make a hole in the side like I did.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Sold my F2 today ! :( It wasn't running because I did't clean up my replacement carbs for it. but i'm 800$ richer now, time to shop for a literbike!

Great bike though i'm going to miss it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
a 100$ should be a reasonable amount of money to pay to reverse a permaban :)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bah ! got stopped by law enforcement for the 2nd time in a month, I guess I better lay back an be content doing under the speed limit behind some cages for a while :(

both times let off with a warning.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Haha oh god so my folks are from Vietnam and my dad's basically loved motorcycles like Harleys forever but hes never owned one in the States so I let him ride the GS500, zx636, and my BMW today, he actually liked the GS500 the best because it was easy to ride, fun, and he liked the riding position over the sportbikes and he liked it over the heavier BMW.

No drops! I didn't let him ride the gsx-r 1k though oh hell no! Hes a decent rider i'm just worried because it's been a while, hes been back to Vietnam a lot and always rents a bike over there, but those are ~150cc bikes and even the GS500 is a significant bump in power and weight.

Hes taking the DMV riding test next week I think, hes got his permit, i'm all for him getting his license, i've tried talking him into taking the MSF but time and his relative stubborness get in the way. It's tough for him to get sat + sun off and a Thursday.

It'll be cool if he gets his license overall, he wants his friend's Harley Sportster 1200 I think, he doesn't mind that I just bought the gsx-r 1k, heck i'd probably let him have the GS500 which would give me room for a replacement :).

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

nsaP posted:

Sounds pretty cool man. For his bit of stubbornness, maybe try to explain that people drive differently here, and that the class helps teach you to prepare for the hazards of driving on the street here. Not only that, but it helps on insurance and getting your license, and it's just a refresher course. In my class there were 2 guys who hadn't ridden in a while and were getting back into it.

Also in this area, different places have different days for classes. Of course most do Sat/Sun, but there are some with Wed, Thurs, or Fri classes.

Glad you got him riding over here :)

Umm my dad is actually the one who told me to get into motorcycling, so now i'm owning da 4 bikes and I think hes just nostalgic. I think all the MSF courses within 25 miles of us are on weekends only.... and he wont listen, hes pretty stubborn like that. I have a feeling he'll mess up the DMV skills test, i'll let him use the GS500.

If he crashes it horribly it just gives me an excuse to pickup a ninja 650r.

Oh god I hope my dad gets gear. He doesn't mind the full helmet but the jacket/gloves thing seems to annoy him.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I don't notice any exhaust heat on the 636 with the stock undertail exhaust.

I've only read of it happening with Yamaha R1s and Ducatis.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Welp this is why we can't have nice things.

After just a week of ownership my dad managed to knock over my gsx-r 1000 in the garage, bikes never been dropped before this. I'm so loving pissed. He broke off the rubber end of the shifter so it's basically un-ridable until I get a new one. loving awesome.

Some cosmetic damage to the front fairing, side fairing is unscathed thank god PO put frame sliders on, nice scratch on the tail section.

He must have knocked it over trying to get the GS500 out or putting it back into the garage.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
yes the bike does 90+ in first gear so theoretically I can just ride around in first!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

DID 530VM: 150.99 Renthal 530 rear: 63.99, front: 23.99.
RK Kit: $218; OEM replacement, although it lists a 112-link chain.

Edit: I can maybe knock some individual prices down by going to different sites, but both of these options include free shipping for the order, which can add up fast by getting the three parts from three places.

A lot of websites usually do combos of chain/sprockets and are under 200$ for a good X ring chain, 238$ is pretty high.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1063 an example. Free shipping too.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Awesome my dad dropped my Kawasaki too, I just noticed it today. He took it out while I was at work, this is a guy who decided to take out my 600 supersport without a license, just a permit, and hasn't ridden anything beyond 50cc cubs.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

nsaP posted:

Stop leaving the keys out :psyduck:

I mean I know accidents happen, but when it's not your bike and something similar just happened, what? 2 weeks ago or something?

:smith:

Believe me i'm absolutely furious, i'm just exhausted because it was my birthday yesterday and I come home from a fun over nighter in the city to find that the 636 went down.

All extra keys are now locked in my personal safe.

Yes he dropped my GSX-R 1000 that I had owned for one week that hadn't been dropped in it's life. I did my best with touch up paint and some rubbing compound/polish, replaced the frame slider, and broken shifter.

Sigh it's so ugly now when the light shines on the upper fairing, it's about 450$ for a new one, luckily it doesn't need any stickers or decals. The left fairing itself is pretty unscathed along with the tail, the shifter is slightly bent, and I realized the clutch lever is bent into a candy cane. I haven't dropped it or even come close to dropping it since owning it for almost a year, it may have taken a tumble on it's right at some point before I owned it but the left side was flawless :(

It's even more ridiculous because i'm been pushing the dad to take the drat MSF, he attempted the DMV skills test on my GS500 and failed horribly, which I think is a stupidly easy bike to ride. He still refuses to take the MSF because he thinks hes a pro when clearly he is not, also hes a total squid and is too cheap to buy gear but apparently doesn't mind costing me hundreds/thousands in dropped bikes.

GSX-R photos after my patch ups:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I did about 166.2 miles on the zx6r before filling up.... I put about 4.480 gallons in the tank and I believe the tank is about 4.5 gallons :v