Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I came home from class to find a teensy package on my doorstep.

My replacement oil reservoir cap and spark plug arrived. Last weekend, I bought a non-running 2001 Vino and brought it back from undeath by cleaning the corrosion out of the carburetor jets with a twig and am now replacing broken or worn-out bits as I get to them. Soon, I'll find out if the iffy turn signals, lack of electric start, and asthmatic horn can all be remedied with a new battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

New battery arrived after FedEx called to confirm that I lived in a house. Now, the turn signals work at all revs, the horn is louder, and oddly, the engine no longer races on cold starts. Unfortunately, the electric start still doesn't work. I'll poke around in there some other time to see if it's the relay and not the motor that's hosed.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Isn't that a Japanese bike? I wonder if he's one of those white supremacists who considers Asians to be de-facto whites.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The Vino as it was...

I wasn't a huge fan of the color, so I removed the body panels and painted them.

I discovered just how much damage that a previous owner's spill caused.

And after applying a few zillion coats of Krylon Fusion and letting it sit for an hour , I bolted it back together.

Now the unnecessary warning labels are covered up.

It's unknown how durable that finish will be, but it was a few bucks so I'm not going to care too much.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you explain it by telling people about your avatar?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Urmom's vagina is pretty scabbard. And in other news, I'm still waiting for my JDM YO turn signals to show up so I can replace the 80's-tastic ones that the Vino comes with stock.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Sweet! My new JDM turn signals showed up in the mail.

By "new" and "JDM", the eBay seller obviously meant "used" and "Chinese". Since he refuses to take returns, I wound up yanking the guts out and modifying them to accept the bulbs and wires from the factory turn signals.

And now the factory tail light looks obnoxiously clunky.

I spray painted some soda bottle caps and used them to plug the holes where the original turn signals were.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Thanks. The 2-stroke Vino design has been copied by a zillion no-name Chinese manufacturers. I saw one on my (relatively tiny) campus the other day and while it was neat to see a front disc brake on it, all the metal parts had begun to rust already. It couldn't have been more than a few years old, whereas mine's 10 and the only rusty bits are the (soon to be replaced) exhaust and a couple of tiny spots on the frame that you can only see when you remove the foot board.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Couldn't download the manual here?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I began stripping 2 screws holding on my electric starter, so I gave up there. Then I managed to break a screwdriver while trying to remove a screw holding on my transmission cover. Also, it rained while I was at work and now it's a bit difficult to get the key in the ignition or remove it once it's in there.

Tomorrow: buy a new screwdriver, lubricate the keyhole and use easy-outs to hopefully remove the old screws. I want to either have my variator deregulated or my electric start cleaned and operable before Monday. But it's supposed to rain some more, so maybe not.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I wore out a drill bit attempting to make a pilot hole for a screw extractor. At this rate, I shall always have a busted starter button and a regulated variator.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

Get a cobalt bit, and keep it cool by drilling in small increments and cooling with some kind of thin oil, WD40 in a pinch.
Off to the hardware store. I have an exhaust coming soon and need to tweak the drivetrain's goodies anyway once I install it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Yay! Broke the end of the screw extractor off inside the stuck screw. Tomorrow I'll try cutting a deeper groove in the head and turning it with a giant screwdriver before ramming it up my nose and then bashing my face against a table until I am dead.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I received a Vino carburetor in the mail today. It replaces the one that came with the scooter, but I doubt it's going to be anywhere near as corroded on the inside as the current one is. I'm still amazed how well it runs considering the innards are orange/green/white.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Finally was able to get the last of the stuck screws unstuck and removed the sheave cover. Then it was the simple matter of finding a place to stick the strap wrench handle to hold the variator in place while loosening the nut. I checked the belt and removed the restrictor washer before putting it all back together.

I didn't bother putting the black plastic sheave cover...cover on since it seems to only collect dirt, moisture, and spider eggs and the aluminum case draws your eye to it instead of the ratty-rear end seat. Top speed is now in excess of 40 MPH.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Yesterday, I installed a LeoVince ZX pipe on the Vino. I'd never dealt with crush gaskets before today. Interesting stuff. I pulled the sheave cover off again to install the weights and springs that came with the pipe only to discover I didn't have a large enough socket to remove the clutch housing. I had to go to 2 different stores to get a 24mm socket and then a 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapter so I can use my torque wrench when putting everything back together.

As it is with just the pipe, it's pretty pokey up until about 20 MPH and then it feels like VTEC just kicked in, yo. Now I just need for death to stop raining upon Missouri for a while so I can finish installing everything.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I'd rather be "silly" than have achy knees.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Might want to wear really comfy underpants.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Hey he didn't say he's American. He may be heading across Monaco.
Maybe he meant "county".

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

How heavy was it?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I did these things yesterday but didn't have evidence until today.

I installed a smaller rear tail light and now should probably paint the old screws and washers black. I also replaced the worn out and somewhat oxidized screws on the transmission case with stainless steel ones.

I also installed a LeoVince ZX exhaust and the lighter rollers that came with it. I couldn't get the tighter springs to go in the clutch and mangled some snap ring pliers in the process. Oh well, the variator spins more easily now but the clutch still engages at a low RPM. I reused the stock crush gasket because it looked much beefier than the LeoVince one. I still have a tiny leak which could either be attributed to the gasket or a bent exhaust bolt. Looks like I'll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I replaced the exhaust bolts with some stainless steel ones and washers for good measure. Also cleaned up the carbon and grime from the crush ring gasket and the engine. Afterward, I applied a bead of copper silicone gasket goo on the crush ring before reinstalling everything.

Now to let it cure for a day before firing up the engine again to check for further leaks.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Does getting pooped on by a bird at speed count as doing something? I can hose off the scooter and throw my pants in the washing machine, but trying to get oven-baked air-dried bird poo poo out of a mesh jacket is no fun at all.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I hit a bump which somehow caused my new exhaust to explode. It's hard to tell, but it split in half at the head.

It happened right before work. I wound up late because I had to push it back to my house and take my car. I just got home, so I'll have to wait until morning to see just how much carnage there is.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I pulled the new exhaust off to find that it wasn't split after all. I was just looking at a piece of metal welded to the pipe. However, the flange is still bent to hell. Other casualties were two bent exhaust bolts and possibly a slightly elongated bolt hole in the head. Eek. Still, the old stock exhaust bolted right back up with little difficulty. I only had time to replace that before I had to go to work. I'll need to put the old stock weights back in the variator, too. My top speed with the lighter weights right now is around 35. Stock with just the restrictions removed from the exhaust and variator was over 40.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

I washed all the mud off it that the squirrel that lives in my garage got all over it. Also took the opportunity to wax it.
What's it like waxing a squirrel?

My stock carburetor had a mixture of corroded innards and varnish. White residue was most prominent, but the jets had green crap in them, too.

So I removed it and installed another stock, but non-corroded, carburetor. So fresh and so clean.

Also, I broke an exhaust bolt while loosening it to see how my exhaust would fit after I did my best to bend back the flange into a flat shape. Lovely.

Since I have to take the pipe somewhere to get bent back into shape and probably get a new flange anyway, I might as well have them remove the broken exhaust bolt and get me a fresh pair.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I bought a spring hook tool and replaced the Vino's clutch springs without having to remove the clutch. Then I yanked off the variator only to find that the sliding V bushings I bought for it don't fit. Oh well, the stock ones look pretty good still.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I tipped the Vino over in an attempt to drill out the broken exhaust bolt, only to find that the kickstand mount gets in the way of any form of drill. So that means I'm going to have to pull off the cylinder head. Lovely.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

One of 2 o-rings on my carburetor's slow jet corroded and sent bits of itself throughout the carburetor's nooks and crannies. I took it apart, cleaned it, and reinstalled the slow jet without the o-ring for now until I can find a replacement. It runs like dick, but it ran either like rear end or not at all, previously. So that's an improvement right there.

Oh, and the air hose for my pump was apparently dry-rotted and broke in half as I was inflating one of the hermaphrobike's tires, causing turquoise-colored goo to spew out of the broken end until I could remove the nozzle, covering my arm in the process. Lovely.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 23, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I had to remove the Vino's cylinder to extract a broken exhaust bolt. While apart, I checked the piston for wear and it has a nice even coating of carbon on it and no scuffing. After lord knows how many previous owners, that's a relief.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Not actually today, but I now have photographic evidence. I had to remove my cylinder to get a piece of broken exhaust bolt out of it. Thankfully, all I had to do was use needle nose pliers on the other side and turn it.

Also I had to order some properly-sized O-rings for the HermaphroBike's slow jet before it would run properly again. Now it's all back together with its new custom sprocket.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I removed my seat to have the 10-year-old splitting and tape-covered vinyl replaced with a seamless hunk of marine-grade stuff. Storms are forecast for the next few days and I hope to have it finished by the time the weather turns nice again.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I just installed a YSS adjustable shock to replace the 10-year-old stock rear on the Vino. I'm hoping this will help keep my exhaust from scraping on the ground, but only time will tell. Also since it's nearing 100° in the daytime, it's nice to be able to work outside at night.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm curious how their scooter shocks work. I almost bought a nice set for my CB750.
Well I got the bottom-of-the-line coilover with the preload/height adjustment at the base. They make fancier stuff, but nothing it seems that will fit my scooter. So far, on the stock setting (as I don't have a spring compressor to let me get at the adjustment nut) it seems to sit a tad lower, yet absorb bumps without the clunk and spine shock that the original had. I'm looking to raise the height a bit before getting new tires.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I figured out my tail light issues were caused by the socket popping out of the housing, thus losing contact with the ground wire every time I hit a bump. Guess I'll just jam the ground into the socket itself tomorrow. Also I lost a screw. Dammit!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Installed a K&N air filter to replace the stock airbox and its assorted tubes. Bonus shot of the freshly-installed YSS coilover shock. I'm hoping all I need to do is fiddle with the air/fuel mixture without having to adjust the carburetor needle.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Looks like I'll need to rejet the carburetor on the Vino again. :sigh: I put my needle clip at its lowest (richest) setting and at 2 turns out it still bogs in weird places and a 1/2 throttle plug chop came out white.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Kids are awesome. How else can you have one of these?

You used to be able to get one if you bought a new Volkswagen a few years ago.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

After installing my pod air filter and having it bog and die under throttle even when changing jets from a #70 to a #80, I found out I have a head gasket leak. I thought I blew a hole in my piston at first but apparently the stock piston looks like that.

I dismantled the top end and cleaned the surfaces and gasket before applying a coat of copper spray only to discover that the can I purchased that afternoon did not contain a spray nozzle. So now I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to exchange it. I figured I'd try the spray first before ordering a new gasket set and having to wait another week for it to arrive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I exchanged my nozzle-less can of gasket spray with a proper one and applied coats to both sides of the old gasket before reinstalling it. I did the carburetor cleaner trick and it worked fine for a bit, but started leaking again after a steady 35 MPH or so run to the grocery store and back.

I also taped up about 2/3 of my K&N filter and that seems to have stopped it from starving for fuel once I get up to speed. It is still less restrictive than the stock air box. Tomorrow I'll be ordering a new gasket set and try to figure out how to install the temperature sensor I bought, as the space between the cooling fins is too narrow for the ring and wire to fit properly.