Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Winter maintenance!

This is the first winter that I have had her, so I am going through and cleaning everything, doing valve checks and replacing whatever is needed.

Winter Stupidity!

By the beginning of riding season, I plan on having a new clutch hub and pack, and maybe a new basket. I have to crack the carb open and see if the needles are worn...if so I will grab a jet kit.

Thinking of it, there is a shitload of work to be done, but progress is going pretty well for a newbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Try some DuPont Teflon lube...it's in the blue can. It's cheap, works, and doesn't have any fling once you wipe the excess off.

They also have the chain saver (yellow can), but I haven't found it near me yet. Reports are that it is thicker and will fling.

I clean my chain first with kerosene and a small paint brush to get what little dirt/grit is in there.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/lubricants.html

Dellikose fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 11, 2012

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I love the underslung look of the Quad D.

Plus it shows off that swingarm, nice!

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Now to solve the problem of the leaky exhaust headers...

This did the trick for me.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...asket_maker.htm

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I replaced the dry clutch assembly on my Monster.

The old basket and pack had 25,000 miles on it and was starting to slip pretty bad. I broke one of the posts off the hub earlier and was running with 4 springs instead of 6 for a while.

I got a new aluminum pack, and slightly used aluminum basket and hub. The whole job took about two hours, since I was going slow. The only thing I didn't have was a torque wrench that went to 150 ft-lb, mine only goes to 75.

After borrowing it from the neighbor I was good to go. It's hard to believe how sloppy the engagement was compared to new. It also cleared up the bucking at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd.

It's also a lot quieter now, but you still know it's a dry clutch.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Those dubs need some rimtape.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
If it's just generic spray paint, some hot water and dish soap should take it out. I had someone tag my work truck last year.

It was on the body though...not sure how well it will work on the seat.

Halo_4am posted:

Brakes were dragging a bit so I cleaned them up following this helpful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNz00OTRLzM

Good video...maybe he can post a video on winter fairing chain maintenance.

Dellikose fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 25, 2012

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Dulatte

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I removed the head off of my horizontal cylinder to remove a burr off of the exhaust valve stem. I noticed it when I was adjusting valves and couldn't get clearances. As it turns out, one of the keepers broke and caused the burr. It seems like it's a fairly common problem. The burr was ground off and valves adjusted.

Well, everything removed/installed without a problem. I got the bike running and now I have a leak at the base between the cylinder and the case. So now I get to tear everything back down again and put it all back together in order to clean a gasket and apply some sealer.

At least it's fairly simple procedure, just time consuming. So, what's the proper sealant? I have RTV red and high temperature copper.

e: The bike is a 1999 Ducati Monster 900

Dellikose fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 11, 2013

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Yes, the plan is to use a fresh gasket plus some sealant.

It looks like the manual calls for Loctite 510 used sparingly.

As for the head bolts, you mean replace the studs? Can these stretch over time?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
A little digging found that around model year '95 or so a change was made to better studs. The old studs had a ridiculously high breakage rate. The reason for them breaking was because they were too brittle, so yes - they definitely stretch.

I'll look into getting them replaced, thanks.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

The tank looks like it says "the sour pissturd", please confirm.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Washed it, discovered an annoying grinding noise from the rear wheel when I turn it over slowly. At first I thought it was the chain, but it remained even after cleaning the chain, so now I'm worried it's coming from the axle or bearings. The bearings feel fine when trying to twist the wheel though.

This happened on my Monster when I got new tires. The most likely culprit is the axle being slightly out of round.

It's more of a creak, only in one particular spot. Like this, but not as bad:
http://youtu.be/JTG_B_uHjDo

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
You forgot to replace the tool box under the seat.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If it hasn't been said before, I've had plenty of luck just using ethanol stabilizer in ethanol gas when storing bikes.

Have you had any :smug: plastic tank :smug: issues?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I tried the RIT dye on my covers too, but it only worked on one piece. It was weird, but I pieced the set together...so maybe they were different types of plastic? I ended up spray painting them, but the dye definitely looks better.

You get that DP fender off of ducatimonsterforum.org? I was eyeing one on there.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Make sure you pump the brakes back up.

I forgot to do this once and it was a bad thing.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
For extra comedy I did both front and rear brakes. So I head down the street and have NOTHING. I downshifted and engined braked just enough (thank you l-twin) that I was able to get them back just before I hit a major street. It ruined the whole ride because I kept thinking about what could have happened if I didn't stop.

Now I tie a piece of string or put a ziptie on the levers to remind me.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Got everything hooked up and ready to go. Rolled it out and hit the starter...nothing.

Rechecked the wiring and couldn't find anything wrong, and the fuses are all good.

The kill switch was on :frogbon:

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
That would cause a vacuum leak, not an oil leak right?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I wanted QUACK, but no dice.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Going from squared off Shinkos to new Pirelli Angel STs certainly was noticeable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

astrollinthepork posted:

Completely failed at brake bleeding, even with a helper. Fluid is clean but spongy. Guess I gotta go to the shop with my tail between my legs.

Successfully changed the coolant though!

You probably just have some air in the lines. The normal bleed process is hold down the lever, crack the bleed screw so fluid comes out (lever will lose pressure), close bleed screw, release lever, and repeat until no air bubbles are present. Remember to keep the reservoir topped off so you don't suck in air.

Personally, I just installed speedbleeders. You crack them open, and start pumping the lever and adding fluid until there are no more bubbles.

Also, be very careful if you're going to ride your bike to the shop with improperly bled brakes.