Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I rode it. For the first time. I got it running and I rode it. Sweet victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Wow, that looks like a completely new bike. And it looks really cool too. Great job!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Replaced the entire charging system. Stator, regulator and wires. 14V at just about every rmp. Finally!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Actually yesterday, but when I cleaned some of the gunk off the chain with some WD-40 I must have accidentally sprayed some on the rear brake disc. Don't do this if you like braking. Hopefully equal amounts of brake cleaner will undo this poor display of spraycanmanship.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Valve adjustment day! Had to drain the coolant and remove the radiator, but eventually I got my hands on those tiny, oily, little bastards. They weren't off by much so it didn't fix the weird engine noise, but at least the bike still runs.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I replaced the spark plug caps and magic happened!

After stalling twice in the rain and having constant problems with the no.3 cylinder I checked the spark plug caps. I found horror upon horror. Pretty much all rubber boots were rotten and cracked.

Click here for the full 1575x1050 image.

And lo and behold, the number three cylinder which has been fouling up the plugs and not running quite well displayed this atrocity of a plug cap:

Click here for the full 700x1050 image.

Four new caps later and the bike runs much better. It seems to have more power, some of the weird engine noise is gone and even when I sprayed lots of water over the plugs the engine kept on truckin'.

Although it is a Suzuki, this was a Triumph.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Took a short but sweet first ride of the season. Hells yeah!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
After three weeks and 1200km since I bought it I mounted a pair of frame sliders, adjusted the horrible swept back handlebar and put on some :rice: rim tape.

The handlebars on the FZ6 are notoriously swept back and it hurt the outside of my palms since my forward weight wasn't evenly distributed over the entire grip. The factory mounting even had them pointing up a bit.

I just tilted the bars back, making them feel a little more like high clipons. It really made a difference, although it made the riding position even more aggressive. To compensate for the new angle I tilted the brake and clutch handles a bit forward but I left the electrical controls where they are, I can reach all buttons just fine.

No danger of hitting the tank either. Still a couple of inches to spare.

I also got the frame sliders on. I bought a little more expensive ones from German Metisse. They are called x-pads and have built in shock absorbers to lessen the impact on the mount when tipped over. I'm really not expecting them to keep my bike undamaged in case of a crash, but any parking lot tip-overs should leave the bike fairly undamaged.

Next stop was the obligatory and oh so tacky rim tape. Good? Bad?

Next stop will be a fender eliminator and some discrete LED turn signals, but I will leave that for another day. Now, It's ridin' time.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I took the FZ6n past the 10000 km mark. 7000 of them took four years and two previous owners, the last 3000 are mine from April and May.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Yes it's the coolant temperature. But I would be much happier if the gauge just said "Fine, keep donging it up" or "Overheating, back off the revs hotshot". I really don't need more data input to process while riding.

You can switch it over to display the intake air temp, but that has to be done manually each time you start the bike.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Ripped out the carbs on the old GSX. Again. This time to check the o-rings under the intake boots for leaks. The o-rings look a bit flatted out but the seal seemed perfectly ok. One of the intake boots had a big tear in it though. So far I have not found any online seller that have fitting boots for sale. It seems like scrapyards or glue is my last hope.

On the positive side I've gotten carb removal down to a 15-minute job :dance:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Thanks, I will definitely replace the o-rings. Some pages suggests that I should be careful which type of rubber O-rings to use, would these be fine?

Casting my own intake boots seems really interesting, but I think I'll try to seal the one I've got if I can't find a proper replacement.
The rubber isn't really brittle, it's still pretty soft and there are no cracks except the tear. And that probably came from me being an idiot last time I removed and reinstalled the carbs.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Penguin of Agony posted:

In that case you'll need some polyeurethane adhesive sealant. Loctite, 3M and Sika all makes products that'll repair your tear.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Penguin of Agony posted:

Regarding the O-rings

Searching for O-rings sucks. No luck yet.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Penguin of Agony posted:

Call a Suzuki dealer. I'm pretty sure he won't rape you for original intake O-rings for a GSX.

I went to a local Suzuki dealer but they didn't even have my bike in their database. They sort of recognized the model number and guessed it had been removed a few years ago from lack of parts and demand thereof. They had a bunch of o-rings but only sorted by model. They couldn't get 30mm ones without searching through their storage room, opening all the bags and measuring the o-rings manually.

I have sent a request to a shop that specializes in old bike parts, hoping for better luck there :)

I also noticed that my left fork leg is leaking oil like Deepwater Horizon. +1 on the to-do list!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
It's a Suzuki GSX-400 FWS. Info.

What makes it difficult is that it uses a kind of dual-barrel carbs which makes it drat near impossible to switch out the carbs for more common replacements.

cycleorings seems to have 30mm rings. I'll check them out, thanks!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I built a USB-charger for my bike!

I didn't bother with a 12v cig outlet, I just put the proper connector directly on a car USB charger. I insulated the cig connector and ran a wire through the plastic case. It has two ports that allows 2A total max load. Since I tap directly into the charger plug on the bike it already has a fuse, but that also means that it draws directly from the battery. I would have liked a switched outlet that only comes on when the engine is running, now I'll just have to make sure I don't leave stuff plugged in when I am stopped. That might be a project for another weekend. The plug I used isn't waterproof so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to use it when it's raining, even if the charger itself is in a tank bag or in my pocket. Might fix that someday too.

Total cost 123 SEK ($19).

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

nsaP posted:

So are you just plugging that straight into the battery via a battery tender cable? Does the charger step down the voltage itself, or how does that work?

That's right. The tender cable goes straight to the battery, so using it in reverse is just like adding a 12v outlet straight to the battery.

Normally you install a 12v cig outlet and to that you connect whatever devices need power. To simplify things I just cut out the 12v outlet part and soldered a 12v USB charger directly to the tender connector. That means I get 5v for any device that can be charged from USB. And yes, the USB charger is really a step-down transformer from 12v to 5v.

Now I can charge my phone, my Gopro, my DSLR and probably any GPS I may or may not buy in the future. I can also use it for USB crapgadgets like mini vacuum cleaners, light-up christmas trees or cup warmers. Life is good!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Today I did a little work on the old GSX again. I checked float heights and discovered that the needle valve had jumped off the float tab in one of the carbs. The float height was therefor set like 13mm off. No wonder it ran like crap!

I synced the butterfly valves visually and re-set the pilot screws too. Everything should be pretty factory default and ready for assembly as soon as I get my intake boot O-rings in the mail. Excitement!

I also found some inspiration. Some guy had taken on-board video from this type of bike. 400cc at 11500rpm zipping through the Swedish country roads :sweden:

https://vimeo.com/3406878

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I installed my new intake O-rings on the GSX but it just sent me back to square one.

Just like before it runs weird but at least I can't find any air leaks. I sprayed the area around the carbs with quite a lot of starter fluid but no change in rpm. When I sprayed some directly into the air box the rpms dropped however. Rich idle perhaps? Next stop pilot screws... for the 7th time.

I also discovered that the fork seal leak have completely disabled the front brake on both rotors. I sense a brake teardown in the future.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Huge McPunch posted:

Do a bench synchronization.

fork oil won't destroy anything but your pads.

I did something similarly, but I used a small flashlight to see when the butterfly valves closed all the way.

I'll probably just take the calipers apart enough to clean them thoroughly.

It's pretty scary to see how fast a leak develops. Last time I actually rode the bike in April you could just about make out a drop of oil around the fork seals. Since then the leaks have made quite a large puddle under the front wheel. Inspect your seals often, people!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I have a carbtune too :) The flashlight stuff was just to get a baseline to start from.

The chrome on the forks looks great and everything is straight as an arrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the seals are just a million years old.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Forty Two posted:

That really sucks, especially with the insurance. But remember, when life gives you lemons, you just say 'gently caress the lemons' and make yourself a ratbike.

May I suggest an alternate route. gently caress those loving thieving bastards and fix it back up again. Replace the missing parts, repaint and restore it to perfect original condition and ride it with your chin held high. Otherwise the terrorists win. :jihad:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I reluctantly parked it for the winter. The temperature is still above freezing but the concentration of screws sticking through my front tire has reached dangerous levels (1).

I was going to get new tires by spring anyway but I was hoping to keep the bike in running order during winter in case of mild weather. It still holds air but I'm not taking any chances.

makka-setan fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 26, 2011

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Washed it in the dark using only a bucket and a sponge. Had to go up to the apartment to fill the bucket up thrice. Looks hell of a lot better than before though.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The FZ6 got some new shoes. I got Pilot Road 3's to replace the five year old, worn down tires with a screw in the front.

Also first ride of the season at glorious +5 degrees celsius.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

quote:

I've currently got Pilot Road 2s on mine and need to replace them soon. How are the PR3s? What did you have before?

I replaced the stock Bridgestone tires. I only rode a few miles back from the shop so I don't have much data to go on, but they felt pretty nice.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I dropped it. Two bikes, three years and 30000 km and now I drop it on my own walkway. The frame slider took most of the damage, the shiny bits fell on the grass.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Lubed the throttle and clutch cables and fed the engine some delicous looking Motul synthetic 10w40.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I was going to do a throttle sync on the FZ6 but there was no vacuum on cylinder 3. Turns out the sync tube was cut just where it enters the throttle body, underneath the airbox.

Just cut the loose part and stuck the hose back again.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Never thought about that, maybe I'll get a replacement later on. But right now I'm just happy to have any vacuum at all.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Took it to the track. Somehow I had managed to neglect my brakepads for a long time and I got shot down in scruteneering. Luckily they had an on-site mechanic who fixed me up a new set on the spot. Not cheap, but cheaper than wasting a pre-paid track course.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

SMC BKK Arlanda TT?

Yup, that's it! I was in the medium/slow group, step 1 with Anders.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Thats a 2014 FZ/MT-09, right? Did you wear out the factory tires already or are you just upgrading?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Put some Techspec Gripster pads on my FZ6. Hanging off good. Falling off bad.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I sold my old GSX. Cheap. But at least it has a home.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I finally put some Leo Vince pipes on my FZ6. At speed it just sounds louder but at low rpms it really growls like an angry walrus.

I almost feel bad riding through my quiet neighborhood but on the other hand I can do throttle flirts like RoyalJordanian. :heysexy:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I was actually surprised at how quiet the Leo Vinces are at higher rpms. Of course the wind noise drowns out some of the exhaust sounds at speed but cruising at 5k rpm and up sounds pretty much like stock.

Puttering about at 3k rpm, trying to be quiet, is another story. I guess the system resonates at lower revs, increasing the noise. Starting from standstill sounds like ear sex. Figuratively speaking.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I replaced this

With this

(Pilot Road 3 to Pilot Road 4)

I actually replaced both front and back. The rear had lots of tread left but the front was close to needing replacement anyway. Three years and 23000 km on the old tires.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The bike is a 2007 FZ6n S2.

I'll post some first impressions in a couple of days but the comparison will be sort of biased by the fact that the old rear tire have had a pronounced flat spot for the last 5000 km and felt really wobbly at certain lean angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Yeah so after a couple of days on the PR4s I can really only say they feel nice. I had the PR3 for a long time so it's impossible to compare the brand spanking new PR4 to how the PR3 felt two years ago. I liked the PR3 and I like the PR4.