Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

bung posted:

The Mini 10 is supposed to have addressed the keyboard layout problems.

Yup. I used to sell Mini 9's over the summer and now Mini 10's, and their keyboards are definitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Took the Ninja 500 in Cycle Stop here in Rochester yesterday for a new rear tire yesterday, a Sport Demon. I've been riding on a bald Sport Demon since Nov/Dec, and I lasted this long while riding whenever I could. I got it back with the clutch cable lubed up and the chain cleaned up. There's a definite difference with clutching in, and I'm quite happy.

Click here for the full 604x531 image.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

sirbeefalot posted:

Where is that on campus? Its been almost two years since I was last there, but the windows look really familiar. Right near the quarter mile bridge?

Yup. I was picking up me girl from the SHC. Looks like you really etched the minuscule details of that stretch into your mind with your kazillion trudges on it, eh?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Recently I accepted my fate for 2010, that I would keep my Ninja 500 instead of selling it and getting a SV650. That said, today I was cleaning my chain and noticed that on the exterior side, it's pretty clean, but on the other, inside side there's thin layers of rust on the chain links. I scrubbed them pretty hard with my grunge brush but couldn't get much off, just got speckles off. The o-rings look mostly clean, with slight, slight blushing of rusty red in some areas. Is this chain allright?

Also, rust spots have now appeared on my exhaust pipes. How do I fight this? :(

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The girlfriend dropped my Ninja 500 today.

She was practicing going around campus on it, her first foray on the road. After meeting a detour at an intersection where some guy had hosed up his front tire on a turn and blocked the intersection, we pulled into an adjacent parking lot. I was talking to her from the driver's seat of my car, then we started to leave. She gave too little power and the engine stalled, and she fell over with the Ninja a few feet away from my door.

Ensue jumping out and helping the Ninja back up. Her ego was bruised, she had a small wound on her knee. But the Ninja was just fine. It already had a cracked fairing on the left side, which she fell upon. No further damage.

We talked about how it had happened. It was sudden for her, and the sudden stop and fall overwhelmed her left leg (she's a black belt in TKD even). Emphasized smoothness of throttle control, etc.

Geez. Thank god for already-cracked fairings.

We finished the rest of campus, and she's excited to see the rise of her Ninja 250 from the dead. I can't wait either. 75 less pounds to manage.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I finally put my ex250 on a trailer and drove it to a shop. It needs carbs cleaned, and to be put back into running shape. Stuff that I can't afford to do by myself at the moment.

Click here for the full 599x800 image.

It should be done next week. Then I can ride the little fucker again. I'm sick of riding solely my EX500.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

shipwrek posted:

Rode it. been doing quite a bit of highway riding lately so for a change I headed into town. Thought I would go check out some of the Olympic areas now that they are back to normal and see what kind upgrades/horrible damage has been done to my fair city.

what bike is that? :) looks like a naked GSXR?

Imperador, good luck on recovery. I hope the culprit gets what's coming to him/her/it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My girlfriend bought this tint and installed it, all for my birthday.

I can't get over how much better my Ninja looks. Especially at night.

Click here for the full 599x800 image.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My girlfriend is a pledge for a sorority now, and she just experienced being auctioned for as part of a "maid bid" even today. For $10 for a private bid, I got her to be the one doing chain cleaning on my Ninja 250 and 500 tomorrow. It'll be fun.

I just added Cobra F1r slip-ons to my Ninja 250. I posted the video of it in the pics & video thread. I just ordered Kerker slip-ons for my 500 tonight. Goodbye, stock buzzy exhaust. Hello, eternally staring car drivers and pedestrians.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 10, 2010

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I installed Kerker slip-ons on my Ninja 500 to change the "buzzy" stock exhaust noise and make it louder. But not obnoxiously loud. So far I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXC630PxaQ

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
2 weeks ago I noticed that my 500's chain was awfully loose. Loose enough that when I decelerated quickly, it would slap against the retracted centerstand. I figured that the chain needed adjusting. I took it in today and on the way there, the bike jerked hard a few times, which I hadn't experienced before. The shop mechanic looked at it and said it needed new sprockets along with a new chain. He said that was why it was hanging so low, that it was dangerous to ride.

Goddammit. I'm sad because today is the first 80-degree day in upstate NY and I was hoping to get the bike back this afternoon to ride. Now it's looking like later next week. Time to console myself with some chinese food.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Replaced the radiator on my Ninja 250. It apparently cracked and gushed in the middle, from some minature demon on the highway. I also cleaned up the wheels and lower plastics for the very first time since I got it almost a year ago.

Nothing like a Ninjette with new Pirelli MT tires, making everybody deaf like myself with the Cobras. I'm such an rear end on the bike while I'm real chill on the SV. Fun.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Installed a 225mm Delkevic carbon fiber stubby silencer on my SV. A friend said I sounded like a herd of stampeding horses. Roar, fuckers, roar.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 1, 2010

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I got a screw in the front tire of my SV, two weeks ago. I didn't notice until the handling started feeling slow, and I checked the PSI. It was ~25, and I filled it back up. Next day, the same slowness. And I walk around to look at the front tire, and there's a glittering metal head staring at me from the tire.

Cue ordering a new tire, which takes 1.5 weeks to get here, then an appointment for the tire switch. I ride the bike in that time span, filling it up when necessary.

Upon picking the bike up, the bike counterperson shows me the screw - a half inch long, whittled down at the head by approximately 200 miles.

Thank DEAR god it was not a nail. When I first got my first bike, a EX500, on the 2nd day, the front tire got flattened by a nail. And knowing how Rochester's summers are only a few weeks' worth, being able to ride makes everything.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Click here for the full 789x591 image.

Two Brothers slip-on install: check
Oil drailed & replaced with fresh oil: check
Battery installed: check
Finding a chain o-ring rusted, with horror: check

The SV rides on. I forgot how fast a bike was.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

That is a gorgeous bike.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Removed my chain guard and cleaned the chain on my yellow SV650 for the first time since I bought it recently.

It used to be a dull gray shade. Winter and grime.

Marvelous.

Also added a 2nd mirror. My SV's rockin' bicycle mirrors. Eventually I'll have to get some pricey CRG bar-end mirrors.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I tend to rock leathers... or a pair of teacher pants (simple non-baggy l.l. bean cloth pants).

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My K5 SV650's throttle tube gained a significant amount of looseness after I installed a set of ProGrip Dual Density 724's. I found it difficult putting on the throttle grip and felt something pop. Crap.

So I ordered a new R6 throttle tube and installed it. Problem went away. Yay. I left the R6 grip on, and liking it so far...

Also installed CRG Arrow mirrors on the same bike. WAY BETTER than the Mirrcycle $16 bicycle mirrors I had on there previously. Well worth the $180 cost of both mirrors.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
New CRG Arrow mirrors, ProGrip on clutch side, R6 throttle on right side, 350mm Delkevic.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Ordered a pair of SpeedBleeders to help with my bleeding my K5 SV's front brakes. Looking forward to making the annoying job much more fun.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Those things prevent air from going back into the bleed-hole. And they make the job much more faster, from what I read.

Last night I worked for 45 minutes in an attempt to bleed from one caliper. No progress. gently caress that.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Gnaghi posted:

Relocated my ECU on the 636. :argh:

Apparently the random shutting off problem I was having wasn't coolant related, as it came back along with bogging down after about 40 minutes of riding. On Kawiforums there is a 26 page thread about this problem where most came to the conclusion the problem is the ECU and its location in the tail, right above the exhaust. Repeated heat cycles eventually damage it and cause this problem.

I wanted my bike in order by monday, so rather then blow $200-400 on a new ECU off ebay, I relocated mine in between the battery and fuel tank (as one guy in the thread did). Had to extend a few wires and it is a really tight fit but it seems to be fixed after an hours ride and extended idling. Hopefully I make it to work and back tomorrow.

Really who makes a decision to put the ecu right on top of the exhaust anyway? Undertail exhausts seem really dumb all together; excess heat cooks the tail and the riders and adds extra weight too.

Yikes. Do you know if carbon fiber exhausts help with this issue?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What exhaust are you running with? Does it matter?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I hope that ECU's plug and play?

I just got a CBR1000RR R/R and a wiring kit from D'Ecosse of SVRider. Gotta pick up a soldering gun and learn how to solder before I replace the R/R in my 2000 sv.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So the P.O. definitely used gobs of threadlock to attach the pointy decorative bar ends to my Ninja. I tried a rubber strap wrench, vice grips, a heat gun, and now I'm gonna go ahead and drill the fuckers through and toss bolts in there and try again with channel locks.

Got a Battlax BT016 rear tire in the mail today, gonna replace the bald and squared-off BT014 in the back and hopefully that cleans up some of the twitchiness in corners.

Has the market died down for SV650s? Or is that just the economy making GBS threads itself even more? Thankfully, a good friend of mine wants to grab my bike from me, only later in October when he starts at Intel.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Half of my bike issues would be resolved if I had a garage. A warm, comfortable place to work in with easy access to everything instead of a oil-stained, small and dim carport or environmentally busy and time-limited street.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Installed the new rear Battlax BT016 on the Ninja this morning. :woop: No more jarring squared-off-tire sensation while switching from side to side.

Also successfully installed the CRG Arrow mirrors on the same bike last night. It's a truly breathtaking sensation to finally be able to see behind myself.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 5, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I finally fixed my K5 SV650's front brake issue. I was having trouble with the brake lever continuously being loose even though I bled both calipers with SpeedBleeders installed in them. I saw some fluid coming out of the MC's banjo bolt. So I loosened that, then tightened it so it was more tight than before. Then I tackled the MC's bleed nipple, and bled that motherfucker.

Finally the bike's GSXR brakes came to life. They brake loving hard with the merest pull. Yay!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
You seem so sedate after discovering that. Shouldn't you be :supaburn:?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Right now, I:

- live on my own
- in a city that's absurdly cheap to rent/live/eat/booze in
- own four motorcycles
- own no car
- have a girlfriend with a new car under warranty & a hidden carport that I use for my bikes.

If I lived with my parents, I'd be competing with my stepbro who's a massive gearhead that takes up the entire garage for his tools, equipment, and random muscle car or ancient Jap car he takes home to fix up and flip. Not to mention the other caveats of living with parents, and the general shittiness and priciness of living in Chicagoland, which negates the prospect of free residency and free food.

move out dude.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Installed Vortex bar end sliders on the Ninja.

Also did the zip tie mod; super-glued zip tie to the throttle cable portion of the throttle tube. Saved myself some dollars in not buying a R6 throttle tube. Shorter throttle throw. Now I zoom more furiously past 7k into the stratosphere and without re-positioning my fist.

Then tossed on my Throttle Boss, which had been laying around unused since I crashed its main attachment, the K3 SV650.

Whoa nelly. More fun in traffic :D

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
OMG. My 2000 SV650, after I tried my own hand at re-wiring the bike and installing a new R/R a month ago, didn't respond successfully to the mods. So I kept it on a charger since. A recently-moved-in roommate of my girlfriend's, who had extensive electrical experience as a kid and built his own motorcycle, asked to look at the bike after hearing my story.

Turns out I configured the red and black wiring connector, which goes from the R/R to the battery, the wrong way. The black/red was switched. He showed me how fuses kept on blowing due to that. D-loving-oh.

And now the bike's one happy girl. Volts show a healthy charging system. I rejoiced heavily with some jagermeister with the extremely helpful roommate after the fact last night.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
This is no longer my ride anymore, but I'm posting it here anyway. The guy who bought my crashed mainly-stock blue 2003 SV650N from me for $800 with a salvage title, emailed me and let me know that he had done a bunch of work to the bike and was enjoying it a whole lot:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I've been thinking about heated grips, it's maddening I haven't installed them and I live in upstate New York. What's a good brand?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The Ninja's been down for the past 2 weeks due to a dead battery. Now that midterms are coming to a close, I tackled the bike. Had to take off some screws, claddings, a protective bar, and the gas tank to get the battery out, that was a pain. But it was so worth it to blast down the highway with the I-4 fury.

The clip-ons are totally pushing me toward:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
How about some Buell headlights (w/ or w/o the front grill)? Doesn't protrude out as far.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I also put seafoam in my 2000 SV650. It was backfiring at startup and was not having a consistently smooth revving range. The P.O. last cleaned the carbs this recent spring so I wasn't having it. Now going through a full tank of seafoam'd gasoline and the engine is responding much better. ^.^

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Taking out the battery to re-charge before I try testing it for electrical draws. Also took off the fairings and put them in my basement. I'll be storing the Ninja in a friend's heated basement storage for the nice low price of $17. It looks way awesome now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
In the warmth-apex of crazy Rochesterian weather, I finally got around to cleaning the chains on the Ninja and Sv650. I really liked the can of Maxima lube that came with the 636, and now thats depleted, i'm shifting back to that Teflon stuff. I think I prefer the Maxima. Last year I stopped riding in early October. Let's see how long it takes for me to ride on, this week seems like the last before I go on a Thanksgiving vacation and come back to an absolutely frigid city. Not looking forward to enslavement and death under the automobile boot :(