Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Rasamune posted:

This whole "respect the players" thing... create your campaign world according to player preferences... What if different players want different things?

IME currying to player preference is often a bad idea. Some players are never satisfied. I once had an aristocratic sexist Norwegian Viking and a Nietzschean-feminist German ex-bodyguard in one group - and yes those were players, not PCs! The Viking didn't think women should be allowed to be adventurers; the ex-bodyguard took against my campaign world and was seeing sexist oppression where IMO it didn't exist. Neither were happy with what was a pretty run of the mill D&D campaign world in the Greyhawk mold.

Often it's better for the GM to make a decision about their campaign world, and stick to it.

The correct answer is obviously to mock anyone who claims to be a Viking in the modern world.

Also, welcome once more to Geek Social Fallacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Armani posted:

I really loved the part where he assumed that all her drinking buddies are sluts thats my favorite!!

Yeah, anytime I hear "all (gender) does is TALK" its usually a red flag that they (the complainer) actually mean they can't carry more than a sentence in public and will full shut into a zone and never actually interject, thus letting the person talk for a while.
Actually those were her words.
But you guys seem to be having a lot of fun with this so carry on.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Said by noted satanist Liesmith...

Hail satan

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Armani posted:

Because he'd rather Grog about bullshit rather than actually play a loving game

Would it bother you if I told you about all the games I played this week and it turned out
to be a lot or would you just be like "Hey, its the internet, I make up facts and type them,
don't get mad about it." ?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Zak S posted:

Actually those were her words.
But you guys seem to be having a lot of fun with this so carry on.

You're right.

Tell me more about how this woman being overly social means you're terrified of her having a position of power over military-grade weapons.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Armani posted:

You're right.

Tell me more about how this woman being overly social means you're terrified of her having a position of power over military-grade weapons.

Either you missed the point or I did not write well enough to explain how obviously conflicted and confused and angry this girl obviously was in a way that had nothing to do with gender or you decided I was a jerk before you even read that thing and assumed it means something it does not mean.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Evil Mastermind posted:

Guys, please don't get me called out again. :(

Look what you did, EM. This is your fault.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Zak S posted:

Would it bother you if I told you about all the games I played this week and it turned out
to be a lot or would you just be like "Hey, its the internet, I make up facts and type them,
don't get mad about it." ?

I can vouch for this. Zak talks about games he is in on G+ all the time. He plays more than anyone I know, in a variety of systems.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Assumethisisreal posted:

I can vouch for this. Zak talks about games he is in on G+ all the time. He plays more than anyone I know, in a variety of systems.

It's really impressive to play that many systems and still have bad old D&D opinions.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Assumethisisreal posted:

Just because he's too much of a Grog morphodite to play in person.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Zak S posted:

Wow, you're right guys, this IS fun.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Zak S posted:

Either you missed the point or I did not write well enough to explain how obviously conflicted and confused and angry this girl obviously was in a way that had nothing to do with gender or you decided I was a jerk before you even read that thing and assumed it means something it does not mean.

Actually, I can attest that what you wrote was confusing. Either the quote didn't catch the context or you made some sort of stylistic choice in how you told the story that didn't really convey how crazy this girl was. We were left with: "She was a young woman and I was annoyed that she was talking to me/scared that she was in charge of bombs and personnel". The things you quoted her saying didn't seem that angry or crazy.

Zak S posted:

Do people actually use the word "morphodite" in real life? The only place I've ever heard it is in "To Kill A Mockingbird" and I've always assumed it was fairly offensive.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Zak S posted:

I'm not sure where you get the impression transphobia is a vital part of posting in grognards.txt

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Mikan posted:

It's really impressive to play that many systems and still have bad old D&D opinions.

Don't be juvenile. You're a way better poster in this forum than to resort to generalizations and personal attacks.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Assumethisisreal posted:

Don't be juvenile. You're a way better poster in this forum than to resort to generalizations and personal attacks.

I would argue otherwise. Exhibit A: My post history.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
You don't understand, someone in the Navy doesn't question authority over meaningless inculcated behaviors! Truely chilling.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Nick posted:

Actually, I can attest that what you wrote was confusing. Either the quote didn't catch the context or you made some sort of stylistic choice in how you told the story that didn't really convey how crazy this girl was. We were left with: "She was a young woman and I was annoyed that she was talking to me/scared that she was in charge of bombs and personnel". The things you quoted her saying didn't seem that angry or crazy.

Well then Dr Nick, we have once again discovered that when you read what I write your takeaway is completely different than what I meant or actually think. It is apparently an insoluble problem unless next time you think I just said something cuh-rayyyyzy like "Oh noes a girl talks a lot to me!" you just ask me what I meant.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Zak S posted:

Well then Dr Nick, we have once again discovered that when you read what I write your takeaway is completely different than what I meant or actually think. It is apparently an insoluble problem unless next time you think I just said something cuh-rayyyyzy like "Oh noes a girl talks a lot to me!" you just ask me what I meant.

No need to get defensive. I'm not the one who said that I'm just giving you a heads up that it's a valid interpretation of the words you wrote. If it's not what you meant you may want to think about that. If you don't care then don't but just understand that people reading it might get confused.

If I had cared more about the things you wrote I might have asked you for clarification. As it is, I don't read your blog so the only exposure I have to you is here (however unfortunate that may be for you)

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Zak S posted:

Zak S posted:

Snapple Cap Fact: 'I Hit It Wth My Axe' was the first thing I ever favorited on Facebook.

I'll be straight with you, since you don't post like an rear end in a top hat: aside from the bit were you talk about your '3 anna half hour' conversation with a girl who had, what seemed like, a lot going on for her and a lot to say -- that post says nothing new or insightful. I had to read it, completely, three times since you are addicted to horrific Wordpress format that makes my eyes cross.

As an outsider to your blog circle, your military analogy fit like a kid smashing his toys together. It was clumsy, at worst, and [i]completely a self-masturbatory exercise at best.[\i] The bit you quoted from PJ was all you needed to do. You also need to buy a couple of commas.

I admot my post was really projecty but that I cherry-picked- to me -the most interesting part of it out of your blogpost and that it was enough to bring you over here to post how that is past the point is much more telling than anything you had to say about rules of a fantasy elfgame, or the military in all of it's varieties.

That said: you seem to make a lot of D&D fans happy, and I didn't know you painted. When you have the time, you should check out our military forum here at Something Awful.

mandrake776
Nov 6, 2006

There's nothing quite like urinating in the open air.

Zak S posted:

If you keep putting out things that people interpret in a way you didn't intend, maybe it's not everyone else who is bad at listening, maybe you're bad at talking.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Also the above is the opinion of one Forums User Armani and not of Grognards.txt as a Whole (which is full of a lot of sick dudes and dudettes who're loving olympic gods at talking on the internet about elfgames so please stick around zak!!!).

Please consult your doctor if Armani persists for longer than four hours, may cause heart failure, etc.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Zak S posted:

Well then Dr Nick, we have once again discovered that when you read what I write your takeaway is completely different than what I meant or actually think.

Sometimes this isn't the fault of the reader. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes the writer needs to write better. (and also not have bad grog opinions) (because you do, you have those)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Armani posted:

You also need to buy a couple of commas.
Yeah when you are trying communicate ideas and information make sure that you didn't commit violent crimes against the English language like turning a paragraph of information into a single sentence, neglect to use commas, use parenthesis inside of parenthesis, and use the word and every other word.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Armani posted:

I admot my post was really projecty but that I cherry-picked- to me -the most interesting part of it out of your blogpost and that it was enough to bring you over here to post how that is past the point is much more telling than anything you had to say about rules of a fantasy elfgame, or the military in all of it's varieties.

The fact that Zak S shows up like Beetlejuice is probably the best development in grognards.txt.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zak S posted:

you just ask me what I meant.

Well, that's one way to get comments on your blog. Most people usually go the "write clearly, stimulate discussion" route though.

mandrake776
Nov 6, 2006

There's nothing quite like urinating in the open air.

mllaneza posted:

Well, that's one way to get comments on your blog. Most people usually go the "write clearly, stimulate discussion" route though.

The best part is that he invites people to comment on his blog, then deletes whole conversations or just the last thing people say so he looks like he won.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Nick posted:

No need to get defensive. I'm not the one who said that I'm just giving you a heads up that it's a valid interpretation of the words you wrote. If it's not what you meant you may want to think about that. If you don't care then don't but just understand that people reading it might get confused.

If I had cared more about the things you wrote I might have asked you for clarification. As it is, I don't read your blog so the only exposure I have to you is here (however unfortunate that may be for you)

if you actually care what I think about women or games or anything: please ask, I am always eager to talk about games with anyone. If you don't care: then please stop talking about me altogether since you don't care but maybe realize I'm an actual person and so are the girls in my group. Is that a reasonable thing to ask?

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

mandrake776 posted:

The best part is that he invites people to comment on his blog, then deletes whole conversations or just the last thing people say so he looks like he won.

I know this is sort of difficult, but can you actually prove that? Or is it just anecdotal? Seriously, I'm legitimately curious.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Zak S posted:

if you actually care what I think about women or games or anything: please ask, I am always eager to talk about games with anyone. If you don't care: then please stop talking about me altogether since you don't care but maybe realize I'm an actual person and so are the girls in my group. Is that a reasonable thing to ask?

Why did you do the morphodite thing as an insult, transphobia is Not Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zak S posted:

Let's go back to the thing about the commas. I think you're missing at least two in that paragraph.