Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

pawsplay posted:

Actually, it is. That is the basis of the empirical method. The guy who said "The plural of anecdote is not data" was being snarky and was talking about unscientific anecdotal evidence, and was, when he said it, definitely wrong.

There is literally no such thing as sound evidence other than collected anecdotes, and the evidence of pure logic.
I missed this because I have a life but this is completely and utterly wrong. You sir are an idiot. Anecdotes by its very nature are unscientific cherry picked pieces of information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Liesmith posted:

at the risk of reigniting that whole argument I want to point out that none of you were right anyway. 4E is NOT D&D, 3.5E was not D&D. 2E was the pure essence. Druids capped at level 14, fighters getting boss fortresses while rogues get thieves guilds and druids get stupid groves. Elfs not being resurrectable because they have no souls. Thats why they called that poo poo advanced
Read this as fighters getting booze fortresses. Was disappointed, hope they fix this in 5e.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Read this as fighters getting booze fortresses. Was disappointed, hope they fix this in 5e.
Step 1) Be a dwarf
Step 2) Get a fortress

( Step 3 is everyone dying of magma)

Wearsyourgodnow
Jul 21, 2009

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Literally NOBODY is annoyed that you disagree with them. We're all actually annoyed because you say things that are obviously, demonstrably false as if they are gods-ordained fact. And, in my case at least, because we know that you know that you are saying things that aren't true, and yet keep on saying them.

We're calling you a LIAR, because you are saying LIES, and yet you keep on LYING as though nobody knows what's up. It's actually insulting, that you think "save-or-lose = death saves" is an argument that you can get past me. Like, you think I am genuinely stupid enough to buy into such an idiotic equivalency. I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that post, merely out of shock and nausea over the idea that somebody could actually post such incredibly putrid nonsense with a straight face. If I were a superhero I would read your posts and weep, knowing that the humanity I defended was not worth my tears. If I were a supervillain I might cite your posts as a reason that all humanity deserves to perish in a nuclear holocaust.

It's one thing when Trollman says something terrible because he's too dumb to realize otherwise. It's another when somebody I thought had at least a reasonable intellect says things that are obviously stupid to "win" some dumb edition war.

The Hate Song of J. Alfred Prufrock :razz:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Liesmith posted:

I loving love monopoly, making deals that aren't in the rules like "I'll sell you all my railroads in exchange for your two green properties but I never have to pay for the railroads"

or giving people loans so that they don't get wiped out by another player, but making a deal that every time the other player has to pay them for a property it goes to you instead
That is so beautifully in the spirit of the game.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

That is so beautifully in the spirit of the game.

Collateralized Boardwalk Swaps

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gul Banana posted:

monopoly is deliberately awful because it was invented by a communist to demonstrate the evils of private ownership

I know this, and I'm sure a lot of people here know this, because there are a lot of nerds that study :pcgaming:GAME HISTORY:pcgaming:

However, most people who play monopoly do so because they had it when they were a kid and their desire to play monopoly is fueled by that nostalgia and not the desire to parody capitalism. I'm totally fine with demonstrating how capitalism is Not Good, but monopoly is also a bad game that people only play because nobody knows better.

:goonsay:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I know monopoly is bad but sometimes I play it anyway, because that and risk were my family's two go-to games whenever a major power outage hit. I must have played like 11 games of monopoly during the ice storm of '98. nostalgia is a hell of a thing

Splicer posted:

Step 1) Be a dwarf
Step 2) Get a fortress

( Step 3 is everyone dying of magma)

nah there's definitely some kind of "keg of something alcoholic that never needs refilling" wondrous item in both 3.x and 4e, and probably a permanent stronghold upgrade that does the same thing only better. just buy like a million of those and make your fortune renting out your facilities to rich nobles and adventurers. if someone gets set to invade just be like "uhh partyfort literally has no strategic value, I only built this fort here because there's a mystic dryad grove nearby and watching dryads get drunk is funny as gently caress"

then offer them a literally infinite quantity of free booze to leave you alone, while simultaneously pointing out that you are armed with an equally infinite quantity of homemade firebombs. if they attack anyway then they are probably prohibitionists and it's time for boozefort to make its glorious mark on history

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Drox posted:

I know this, and I'm sure a lot of people here know this, because there are a lot of nerds that study :pcgaming:GAME HISTORY:pcgaming:

Anti-Monopoly is a thing.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wearsyourgodnow posted:

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a hot pocket?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and live in my mom's basement.
I have heard the grognards whining, each to each.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Drox posted:

However, most people who play monopoly do so because they had it when they were a kid and their desire to play monopoly is fueled by that nostalgia and not the desire to parody capitalism. I'm totally fine with demonstrating how capitalism is Not Good, but monopoly is also a bad game that people only play because nobody knows better.
I'm pretty sure that monopoly is popular because of its flaws. It's something that gets dragged out on a rainy day or a shot-to-hell evening when you have a lot of time to kill, and it's good at killing time and providing some structure for social interaction while also being utterly undemanding. The fact that most people play it with a set of passed-along house rules that make the game even more boring and interminable (no auctions, fines go into a pot to be rewarded to people who land of free parking, etc.) would seem to indicate that most people play it for its time-passing ability, not its strengths as a game.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Wearsyourgodnow posted:

LET us argue then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a wizard decapitated upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted keeps,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in forgotten random hexes
And random encounters with Grell or Skexis:
Grogs that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question …
Oh, do not ask, “Which edition is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the grognards come and relax
Talking of Arneson and Gygax.

We have lingered in the local gaming store
By gamers wreathed with boxes red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we get off the loving internet and do something else for christ's sake.

Edit: Gaaah gently caress you Liesmith.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
On last night's Colbert Report the Threatdown put the new computer-guided, simplified version of Monopoly as the #1 threat to America. (Skip to around the 5-minute mark for the Monopoly part.)

"Monopoly is supposed to be a grueling 9-hour marathon that dad always wins because his bedtime is later!"

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Liesmith posted:

at the risk of reigniting that whole argument I want to point out that none of you were right anyway. 4E is NOT D&D, 3.5E was not D&D. 2E was the pure essence. Druids capped at level 14, fighters getting boss fortresses while rogues get thieves guilds and druids get stupid groves. Elfs not being resurrectable because they have no souls. Thats why they called that poo poo advanced

There wasn't a lot that a Magic User could do in AD&D that a Fighter with his 1,000 followers couldn't do better and faster.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gomi posted:

Anti-Monopoly is a thing.

man if you don't think I don't know everything about board games then I just don't know what to tell you.

FMguru posted:

I'm pretty sure that monopoly is popular because of its flaws. It's something that gets dragged out on a rainy day or a shot-to-hell evening when you have a lot of time to kill, and it's good at killing time and providing some structure for social interaction while also being utterly undemanding. The fact that most people play it with a set of passed-along house rules that make the game even more boring and interminable (no auctions, fines go into a pot to be rewarded to people who land of free parking, etc.) would seem to indicate that most people play it for its time-passing ability, not its strengths as a game.

My counterpoint to that is that the vast majority of people don't put a lot of thought into what makes a game a good game or even just one that they like. They play monopoly because they have it and they have it because their parents had a copy. I know several people (most of them old folks (my grandparents)) who in earnest say that monopoly is fun.

If you want to pass time I think drinking is a better option.

edit: see also risk and how every time you break it out everyone is excited and pumped and then around the 3rd hour or so you remember that it usually takes 4 more hours and everyone goes home because you have work in the morning and you're not 14 anymore with unlimited free time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Doug Lombardi posted:

There wasn't a lot that a Magic User could do in AD&D that a Fighter with his 1,000 followers couldn't do better and faster.

This is the kind of poo poo I'm gonna be putting into my DnD Campaign.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
It really owns. Fully half of the fighter's description in the Player's Handbook is dedicated to the kind of troops he gets at level 9.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Liesmith posted:

All hail the distinction between demi-humans and humanoids. Also, if your gnome died, you could pay a druid to reincarnate (not resurrect) him and roll on a table to see what he came back as. Perhaps a raccoon, or a troll!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
In my experience, its because now "everyone has something to do in combat", a few weeks ago I was playing a trapmaker rogue in a high-level pathfinder campaign, and the DM threw a couple of red dragons against us, 20 minutes into combat I took out my ereader and completely disconnected myself from the game until it was my turn because everyone else one way or another had access to spells and had to sit down and go through their lists, ironically combat went a lot faster than in 4E, but it was mostly because both the fighter and I had a lot less to think about so our turns went by pretty quickly.

Now, before this becomes a criticism on pathfinder, I have to say that in 3.X the cool toys are only half of the fun, a fighter played by someone with a little skill in tactics is a nightmare in the battlefield, and the highest damage output came from the fighter and myself, of course, I spent half the combat finding hiding places (as a range rogue) so I could get my sneak attack damage, fluff wise, the rogue that always kept the dragon second guessing was way too awesome, but mechanics wise it was kind of dull.

The problem lies with the fact that -at least to my eyes-, Pre-3.X were games with complex mechanics, but a fairly well though out game experience, a regular combat lasted on average no more than 15 minutes, (more if the character were facing something akin to a Beholder) so the rogue or the bard, who weren't combat proficient didn ´t had to wait long to get back into adventuring and roleplaying -which was their strength-, when 3.X came around the designers added a layer of tactics around combat to challenge the players, but a tactical game usually takes longer to resolve, this brought forward the fact that some classes were more involved in combat than others, so when 4E comes around they could´ve fixed it by either making the combats faster, or giving those "utility classes" more to do in combat... guess which one they picked.

This of course is not a flaw, it was a design decision, but a lot of us who actually enjoyed the adventuring aspect of the game find this over-emphasis in combat a tad jarring, and we cant deny that even if 4e has all they aspects of a roleplaying game, what really makes it shine its the combat, to the point that sometimes the game forgets its other aspects -for example, what does being a "striker" mean in out of combat situations?, with all the options available to a rogue -awesome utility powers for example- I would have a role called "infiltrator" which means "this is a characters that solves problems with deception, wits and trickery"-... but I digress.

Thing is, what I find most appealing about pathinder is that the game strives to give every aspect of the game world the same level of complexity, so yeah, a bard can lie to a tavern keeper and present himself as the moon, but think about it, he´s using magic potions and spells to get to that level of deception, how is that different from casting a charm person or an "insta-friend" spell on an enemy and having it fight your battle?, as a player of 4E and Pathfinder I say,, the reason why I prefer pathfinder is because of the level of depth the system gives to different areas of "adventuring".

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drox posted:

edit: see also risk and how every time you break it out everyone is excited and pumped and then around the 3rd hour or so you remember that it usually takes 4 more hours and everyone goes home because you have work in the morning and you're not 14 anymore with unlimited free time.

Risk is a good game to play when you're getting sick of your little brother's poo poo and he hasn't given you a good reason to put him in his place recently. Because it always ends in a fistfight

loser cleans up

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Liesmith posted:

Risk is a good game to play when you're getting sick of your little brother's poo poo and he hasn't given you a good reason to put him in his place recently. Because it always ends in a fistfight

Play Risk 2210, Nuke the Moon Edition

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

S.J. posted:

Play Risk 2210, Nuke the Moon Edition

Risk 2210 owns. 420 nuke undersea colonies every day.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

quote:

Coming soon: I'm Going to Put a Nail Up Your Dick, The RPG!
by thedungeondelver » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 pm

all you weak sauce so-called "A"D&D players had better beware, I'm releasing my homegrown D&D variant, paid for with blood plasma and food stamp sales. "I'm Going To Put A Nail Up Your Dick" will be the most off the (bloody, chunky meat-)hook RPG ever released. The guys who wrote FATAL will commit suicide when they see it. Some sample elements it will include:

What Is That Thing Oh God Oh God gently caress gently caress Melt Out My Eyes With A Red Hot Stiff Wire creature generation! That's right! Don't sit around using some namby-pamby monsters that you can actually describe with sounds that don't cause babies to spontaneously abort! The WITTOGOGFFMOMEYEWARHSWCG will create things that will make you saw off your own privates* just to make sure you don't have kids that might grow up and see what your infernal hands have wrought!

PainPages: the edge of every page will come with an affixed glass blade formerly used** for eye surgery! Nobody should enjoy RPGs, so your hands will suffer compulsory maiming every time you play.

Supplement VI VI VI : I Spit On Gary's Grave will introduce new classes like nun-Rapist and spells like Char The Village, Eat The Maimed Twitching Survivors In Front Of Their Weeping Children, Then Murder The Children.

Of course, no RPG published by me is complete without a 900 page list of Why All AD&D Should Resemble Cannibal Corpse Album Covers And Why I'm Right About That And I'll Kill You*** If You Suggest Otherwise Or Try To Actually Have Fun Gaming, so that will make up the balance of what you get in the Blasphemy Box.

Initially there were plans to include a campaign world, but it was so awesome it went back in time and butchered your parents and siblings in front of you on Christmas Morning so release has been pushed back until I can create a ward that will contain the Anti-God energy.

Like all RPGs, this one is community supported, by which I mean I swindled the government into paying for it under the guise of performance art. Also it means if you don't buy it I'm going to take a page out of the Esoteric Deathbook and do it to everyone in your community. So buy plenty of copies! First 666 purchasers get a picture of me with a prolapsed dice bag!

So that's I'm Going to Put a Nail Up Your Dick, The RPG! A game where "dark horror, murder, childrape and torture" is how you say "good morning!" to your players!

*=only men should play RPGs, ever. AND ESPECIALLY NOT HAVE FUN WITH THEM.
**=Not cleaned, just used.
***=...by which I whine smugly at you (yes, I have the ability to whine smugly) on various forums.
Американская фирма Transceptor Technologies приступила к производству компьютеров «Персонaльный спутник»

This is probably old but it made me smile. I can't tell if its grog or anti grog. (BTW if you can't tell this is making fun of that LotFP guy's ICP inspired Grindhouse edition of his retroclone.)

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Red_Mage posted:

LET us argue then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a wizard decapitated upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted keeps,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in forgotten random hexes
And random encounters with Grell or Skexis:
Grogs that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question …
Oh, do not ask, “Which edition is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the grognards come and relax
Talking of Arneson and Gygax.

We have lingered in the local gaming store
By gamers wreathed with boxes red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we get off the loving internet and do something else for christ's sake.

In the room the grognards come and go
Vaster than empires, and more slow

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, wait. "I prefer PF even though I literally ignored the entire game until it was my turn regularly" and the idea that somehow rogues and bards are somehow better at roleplaying? What?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red_Mage posted:

I grow old, I grow old
I played with Gygax

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Drox posted:

My counterpoint to that is that the vast majority of people don't put a lot of thought into what makes a game a good game or even just one that they like. They play monopoly because they have it and they have it because their parents had a copy. I know several people (most of them old folks (my grandparents)) who in earnest say that monopoly is fun.

If you want to pass time I think drinking is a better option.

A lot of Monopoly's appeal is just inertia and people not knowing any better, I agree, but its persistence in American life for almost a century indicates that it has to have something going for it that's more than just cultural momentum. The way that the preferred way to play it is the even more boring house-ruled version is a strong hint that it's time-wasting nature is a feature, not a bug.

Drinking is a fine way to pass time, but it's not recommended for keeping kids distracted on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Also it's not free, unlike that battered Monopoly box that has been in the family for 25 years.

(I also think a lot of Monopoly's appeal is in the fact that it has stacks and stacks of pretend money that you play with and shuffle around and daydream about being real.)

And yeah Risk is another game that's utterly terrible yet ever-present. There's also the way that everyone thinks that they were the first person to come up with the brilliant "just hole up in Australia" strategy.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FMguru posted:

The way that the preferred way to play it is the even more boring house-ruled version is a strong hint that it's time-wasting nature is a feature, not a bug.
Or maybe that people who don't devote an inordinate amount of energy to thinking about game design (like our pathetic selves) have no idea how to improve games!

quote:

Drinking is a fine way to pass time, but it's not recommended for keeping kids distracted on a rainy Sunday afternoon
Bullshit.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
if your mom didn't rub whisky on your gums when you were teething as a baby she's basically abusive hth

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, wait. "I prefer PF even though I literally ignored the entire game until it was my turn regularly" and the idea that somehow rogues and bards are somehow better at roleplaying? What?

Yeah apparently 4e also removed all the "Adventuring" for non spellcasters, I am pressing him for more, because I am just befuddled.

also

For I have played them all already, known them all:—
Have known the Old, Advanced, And New,
I have measured out my life with mountain dew;
I know my characters dying with a dying fall
Beneath the laughter from the other rooms.
So how should I presume?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Drox posted:

Risk 2210 owns. 420 nuke undersea colonies every day.

that game really does own. anyone who hasn't played it should do so at the earliest opportunity. in my first game, I fought a protracted land war against my wife while keeping a friend at bay with diplomatic trickery and underhanded dealings. eventually I lost and my army retreated to its lunar colony, steadily conquering the entire moon for itself while my wife's dread army spread unchecked back on earth. then someone played some kind of doomsday card and my wife launched every nuke she had at once, which turned out to be enough to blow up about two thirds of the world. in the end the irradiated remnants of earth were hers to command, while my moon people huddled in their moon domes, fearful of the madwoman who'd subjugated the human race with nuclear fire.

best game.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oh my god the Hate Song of J. Alfred Prufrock is amazing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'd like to echo the sentiment that Risk 2210 is amazing. Lunar land grabs erryday.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'd do a grog translation of The Waste Land but I think I'd start taking it seriously and just do the whole thing

ed: and then I guess probably kill myself

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 79 days!
Soiled Meat
Isn't there a version of Risk with the continent of Atlantis, wherein one player always sinks Atlantis and wins the game?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Etherwind posted:

Isn't there a version of Risk with the continent of Atlantis, wherein one player always sinks Atlantis and wins the game?

Risk: Godstorm. Also, your armies that die get sent to Hades and have the chance to fight back into the realm of the living.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OtspIII posted:

You should elaborate on this. I've basically enjoyed all my sessions of Catan, but there totally is something weird about the game I can't put my finger down on.

EDIT: Did you two seriously just throw down 4 posts in the time it took me to write two sentences?

Sometimes if the dice frowns on you a game can be lovely since nothing happens. Like for some reason even though say every brick producing territory has a 6 or 8 those two just don't come up as often as they should and we were starved for it.
Or I've found if too early on resources are spent utterly dicking someone over (so instead of spending resources to gain victory points, or more resources it's just a race to cut off other people's roads or encircle their colony) it can make for a boring game.
Like in magic when a player has a deck consisting solely of control and a 1 damage pinger so in like 20 turns they can win!

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

FMguru posted:

I don't know that I agree that this is true about Monopoly, but I totally think that card/board/roleplaying games have two major things that make them fun.

The first is being a good game, mechanically. Having solid rules that don't suck. This is pretty straightforward. The second is some combo of being a good social experience/making a good story. Roleplaying games obviously are way into this, but I think it's easy to underestimate how much enjoyment people get from this in card games/etc, too. "Nuke the moon!" is way more fun than "remove 1/2 of all p-tokens from each square in area 7," even if they're the exact same mechanically.

This is how I justify games like Fluxx. Fluxx is The Worst game on a purely mechanical level, since there's basically no skill involved or meaningful room for player input beyond maybe a very low 'don't gently caress up' threshold. What it does do, though, is provide just enough stimulation to keep people busy during lulls in the conversation, not so engaged that table-chatter doesn't rule, and is absolutely amazing at introducing the right type of randomized story-props that get people really into forming their own little mini-stories trying to make a narrative out of the fact that they have a shotgun, some toast, and the moon laying on the table in front of them. It gives people something to talk about and doesn't keep them from talking about other things, which makes it just about the perfect low-key social game. It's utter poo poo if you pay any attention to the mechanics, though.

I guess the flip side is something like Go, where it's pretty drat hard to make a narrative out of a bunch of black and white stones on a board, but the mechanics are just perfect. Go is in no way a good social game, though, and is kind of exhausting to play in a way that Fluxx could never be. (Although on a side-note, I don't think I've ever found a game as good as Go at letting you really get a feel for the person you're playing's personality via purely the gameplay choices they make.)

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liesmith posted:

loser cleans up

This must be why I never liked risk, my copy was missing a piece. I don't have a little brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011
I exercised poor judgment in replying post by post. Sorry. I thought it would be rude to simply ignore people who seemed to be posting earnestly, but in the end, what actually happened was worse. At some point, the posts were going too fast for anyone to actually read what I was saying, even if they had the inclination, and a fruitless argument is most definitely a sin.