Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
His sig:

"Intolerant to tolerance. Do not attempt to reason with."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dr Nick posted:

I still get the strong feeling that that guy probably beats his wife and it makes me really :smith: so I'm trying to make light of it but it's not really helping.

You're assuming that he's married-

quote:

You're going to have to concede that while we may hold the stance that we don't want chicks to game with us, we can still be normal social human beings and function normally in real life.

quote:

Also, I thought the whole purpose of divorce was so that you could actually spend some time living the way you envisioned when you were unhappily married. just sayin'.

A lot of guys here have yet to experience the "joy" of marriage and think we old geezers are straight woman-haters.

EDIT: Well, it seems that I misread his post. But still, scarequotes? Really?

Evil Mastermind posted:

This guy's on RPGSite, right? I'm assuming he's got a nice "preach it, brother!" following going on.

I haven't gone through all the thread, but at least a couple people have gotten zingers off at him.

quote:

Must be a joy for your wife to be with you.

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes

Evil Mastermind posted:

This guy's on RPGSite, right? I'm assuming he's got a nice "preach it, brother!" following going on.

Actually, not really. Quite a few members are sick of his poo poo, and the rest make fun of him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ ^ I'm honestly surprised by that.

RPGPundit posted:

No. If it turns out that most people end up liking storygames more than RPGs, that still doesn't make them RPGs. You don't get to redefine something based on liking it, unless what you're defining is "what kind of games are popular".
If tomorrow Pictionary becomes more popular than Chess, that doesn't turn it into chess, it just makes it popular.

Note that this goes both ways; just because a real RPG is unpopular does not suddenly and magicall turn it into a storygame.

RPGPundit

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Evil Mastermind posted:

pundit

Having communed with the spirits of both gygax and plato, I have determined the Ideal Form of Role Playing Games, described as follows:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Drox posted:

Having communed with the spirits of both gygax and plato, I have determined the Ideal Form of Role Playing Games, described as follows:
I would totally play an RPG in a cave, all making shadow puppets of my badass fighter, all rolling d20 to discern the nature of truth.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Drox posted:

Aristotleian Swine! I received the definition of Role-Playing Games from Arneson himself, who wrote them in letters of fire upon two stone tablets on Mt. Sinai. I can't show you them- I broke them in my wrath upon seeing people playing Apocalypse World and FATE- but believe me, they were there.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: ^ ^ ^ I'm honestly surprised by that.

Most nerds love casual misogyny, but are at least socially aware enough to realize that being direct about woman hate is unacceptable. Also, most nerds aren't comfortable with someone not being passive-aggressive in general, regardless of the loathesomeness of their viewpoint.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
TheRPGsite on players having influence on the setting:

quote:

quote:

Or you could ask the player "How about if this awesome vorpal sword is intelligent and has it's own plan, only later will we learn about the dark secret in your family and why no one ever touches that sword you're carrying."
No. That's stupid and destroys immersion. If his character should have no idea about the sword's intelligence then neither should the player.

RPGPundit

quote:

The players get to define as much about the world around them as they do the real world around them.

If they're really lucky, they get to define as much as an actor might.

quote:

When a player or group of players build a stronghold, they can make their input to the setting.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

JDCorley posted:

not all bitches (who want to game) are worth gaming with.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ettin posted:

Really, this should be the response to anything that dude says.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

I know I've said this before, but I cannot get over how fake that cigar looks.

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Mornacale posted:

Most nerds love casual misogyny, but are at least socially aware enough to realize that being direct about woman hate is unacceptable. Also, most nerds aren't comfortable with someone not being passive-aggressive in general, regardless of the loathesomeness of their viewpoint.

Few exceptions aside, I find the folks at therpgsite to be fairly chill when it comes to social/nonRPG stuff. Much better than the average RPGnet poster, IMO.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Turnus posted:

A goon wrote this. Seven paragraphs have been omitted. This could have been boiled down to "I do not like this game".

Where is this? Because this person may need therapy.

Catastropost
Feb 17, 2011

by angerbrat

Dr Nick posted:

I still get the strong feeling that that guy probably beats his wife and it makes me really :smith: so I'm trying to make light of it but it's not really helping.
He probably doesn't beat his wife, he just has a typical cliche also-ran marriage where the guy hides from his wife and mutters angrily about women, if anything she probably runs the house.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Catastropost posted:

He probably doesn't beat his wife, he just has a typical cliche also-ran marriage where the guy hides from his wife and mutters angrily about women, if anything she probably runs the house.

This sounds way more likely. The way he talks is the way a dude who has a really unhappy marriage because she runs everything and he doesn't know how to respond talks.

Edit: Thus why his games are MEN ONLY because he conflates his wife with "all women" and needs to be away from her.

It also fits in with his real TOUGH GUY internet machoism.

Jesus are we psychoanalyzing him?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Where is this? Because this person may need therapy.

It's from this thing, apparently.

He also has exciting and important thoughts about gender relations! Except that for "exciting" and "important" you should substitute your preferred terms of abuse against terrible human beings.

quote:

In terms of success rate, we can see that catering to the people who do not like to be challenged and stressed, and catering to the people who *do* like it, are equally lucrative, only one incurs a tremendous amount of suffering for a certain type of creative mind, which, nevertheless, may drive an urge to excel, and the other incurs less of one.

Since gaming, during my formative years was an industry in which femininity controlled the relationship, it was not enticing to women--it was a rival. Now that there are industry voices with an essentially masculine approach to abuse the gamer population, women are gaming as much, if not more than men.

Video games, as a whole, are a form of self abuse, since if we really wanted to relax, we'd pick something much more passive, like reading or watching a movie.

And yes, company culture is transsexual. I'm not sure why that is, but it's interesting. Some would say spicy.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would totally play an RPG in a cave, all making shadow puppets of my badass fighter, all rolling d20 to discern the nature of truth.

Also wasn't there an indie rpg where you took the rolls of philosophers, gave them wrestling moves, and fought? My google-fu is failing me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that the party are all different levels shows it's a poo poo game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
As a further preview of the nearly finished first volume of the Dwimmermount Codex, here's the table of contents.

Edit:

I love that cultist at the bottom right, he's just so happy with his sacrificial dagger and evil god!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Ettin posted:

Is that a real picture of Pundit?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

chrisoya posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I will never have an understanding of the OSR. These old games still exist. You can buy them cheap. If so many people claim to love and consider them the apex of game-crafting, why aren't they playing the originals instead?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

chrisoya posted:

I love that cultist at the bottom right, he's just so happy with his sacrificial dagger and evil god!
There is actually a similar picture in my AD&D book I have with a skeleton smiling as he blasts a Wizard in the face. Even evil people can enjoy their jobs.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

chrisoya posted:

That is aggressively old school. It seems like obsessively emulating the form of the old 1st edition stuff is just as important as making sure the completely pointless "sytem shock" check is still in place. I wonder if there's any traction in the idea of a CRPG OSR; taking Bard's Tale and filing the serial numbers off everything and re-releasing it for money in glorious 640 x 200 resolution.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That guy is, at least - Dwimmermount is just his campaign setting/megadungeon/house rules document. He's still using OD&D or something as a baseline.

This doesn't excuse everyone else, though. I think there's a retroclone for AD&D 2e these days. You know, in addition to AD&D 1e's retroclone, and the commercial expansion to the B/X retroclone that turns it into more or less AD&D...

The original retroclone(s) were perfectly justified - OSRIC wasn't even intended to be played, just to give module writers something they could say they were writing for that coincidentally happened to be almost indistinguishable from AD&D, and I guess Swords & Wizardry is good if you want to play the original edition without figuring out what Gygax was on about and whether you should use the alternate combat system or the chainmail one(s) and how you'd even go about playing D&D with chainmail.

There is also a retroclone based around OD&D-with-the-chainmail-combat-system! :eng101:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

There is actually a similar picture in my AD&D book I have with a skeleton smiling as he blasts a Wizard in the face. EvenEspecially evil people can enjoy their jobs.

The good guys don't have nearly as much evil laughter and "Begone, fool, lest I blast you with my magic!" Good guys don't get to cast the Spell of the Macroid Toe on interlopers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

chrisoya posted:

As a further preview of the nearly finished first volume of the Dwimmermount Codex, here's the table of contents.
I think you're mistaken; that game was completed thirty five loving years ago.

whydirt posted:

Is that a real picture of Pundit?
No, that's just a guy on RPGSite. Pundit has hidden his identity completely up to and including his first name.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

chrisoya posted:

Edit:

Got kinda lazy at the end with the priest titles. High Priest High Priest High Priest High Priest

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

moths posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I will never have an understanding of the OSR. These old games still exist. You can buy them cheap. If so many people claim to love and consider them the apex of game-crafting, why aren't they playing the originals instead?
Part of the OSR is producing new material--adventure modules and whatnot--for the old games, and that seems to be the one place where they can shine. Retroclones started as a way to keep the old style rules in print and maybe make small refinements, but it's gotten to the point where the OSR guys themselves are complaining that there are just too many of the things out there, and too many that amount to some guy turning his house rules into a rulebook to jump on the bandwagon.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NorgLyle posted:

That is aggressively old school. It seems like obsessively emulating the form of the old 1st edition stuff is just as important as making sure the completely pointless "sytem shock" check is still in place. I wonder if there's any traction in the idea of a CRPG OSR; taking Bard's Tale and filing the serial numbers off everything and re-releasing it for money in glorious 640 x 200 resolution.

http://www.grimrock.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnTeQFBIq0

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ulta posted:

Also wasn't there an indie rpg where you took the rolls of philosophers, gave them wrestling moves, and fought? My google-fu is failing me.

Cage of Reason.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Liesmith posted:

Got kinda lazy at the end with the priest titles. High Priest High Priest High Priest High Priest

The Cultist table's better.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

That's not a retroclone.

This is a retroclone.

It's even made by ClassicGamesRemade.com

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Also, Grimoire! An old-school rpg that's been vapourware for so long that the dev gave in and started a blog for his playthrough of it to prove that it really exists, even if it's not done yet.

Also, it's not for fags.

quote:

What is Grimoire, you ask?

Let me give you a little history on video games first.

The video games that we play nowadays, aren’t as great as their gaming forefathers were. Nowadays, video games are uncreative and repetitive. They rely on fancy shmancy graphics, gimmicks and “High-Octane” action to keep the player involved.

Where’s the immersion?

Where’s the creativity?

If a game is making you smash your head against the wall and scream obscenities because of “Uber Hax Lag”, it sounds like that game is more addictive than fun.

So why are we playing these games?

Well, maybe it’s because these are the only games left that we have to play.

You know what I’m talking about, these generic FPS Shooters where you regenerate health and have to fight terrorists or aliens… sometimes zombies.

They were really cool the first couple times, but now they’re just getting old.

Occasionally, a great and unique title comes out…

But, it seems like 99.9% of the games that are released nowadays are just clones of each other. Clones of Clone of Clones.

So wouldn’t it be great if you could play one of those old classic games.

Super old Role-Playing Games like Wizardry, Ultima Underworld or Eye of the Beholder.

These games had shameful graphics, so the only thing they could count on was gameplay and story.

And you know what?

Those games kicked-rear end.

So does that sound good to you?

Of course it does!

So, without further adieu, let me introduce you to Grimoire!

A fantastic, old-school adventure game.

This isn’t an effeminate girly-man’s FPS, this is a hardcore RPG!

To succeed on your impossible quest, you’ll have to be strategic, you’ll have to make tough decisions and most of all, you’ll need a bit of luck.

Craploads of riddles and puzzles, epic player creation and customisation, a brutal turn-based combat system, hundreds of NPCs, Monsters and spells, an engaging, thought-provoking, king-sized storyline and wonderful cartoon graphics for that old-fashioned charm.

The video game industry will never be as great as it used to be, but maybe, just once, we can relive the glory days.

That, my friends, is what Grimoire is.

Worked on by legendary Cyber-Nerd, Cleve “Tex Arcane” Blakemore for over 15 years, (Which means, if it’s ever finished, we should get the World Record for longest game in development) Grimoire aims to please that acne-ridden, pasty-skinned nerd, hiding inside each and every one of us.

This blog is the description of the Beta play through that I, Cooper Blakemore, son of Cleve, am currently doing. I’ll be describing in intricate detail my experience, as well as putting up the occasional screenshot. You could consider it a novel, as so far, some pretty exciting stuff has happened in the game, most of which wasn’t even scripted.

When Grimoire is finally finished, it will be released on PC. After that, we may try to port it to other platforms, most likely the iPhone and iPad.

So stick around, take a look at the posts every now and then, and spread the word to your buddies!

When you finally play Grimoire, you will believe a Golden Baby can fly… and that they can also do a drive-by on a tough enemy.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

chrisoya posted:

Also, Grimoire! An old-school rpg that's been vapourware for so long that the dev gave in and started a blog for his playthrough of it to prove that it really exists, even if it's not done yet.

Also, it's not for fags.

Its not really a retroclone if it was started when these games were still being made.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think it was started a few years after the original games mostly stopped, but yes, you're right.

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

chrisoya posted:

Also, it's not for fags.

More proof immersion is a bullshit term only used to denote "What I like."

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Why would I play any of those games when I can play things like Etrian Odyssey?

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

chrisoya posted:

It took me a very interesting second to correctly parse the "only men worship deities," bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Drox posted:

Why would I play any of those games when I can play things like Etrian Odyssey?

Why not play both? :v: