Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We talk a lot about various specific rpg systems. People often submit ones they are working on. But what do people have as the ideal in their heads? What properties does your ideal system have? What are the effects, the implications?

For myself, an ideal system has a number of properties, many being about how combat works. I have always had trouble with some of the less realistic aspects of most rpg systems - owing in large part to my experiences fighting in the SCA. Although I admit greater realism is not of great importance, I cannot help but be bugged by certain things. On the other hand, I don't want a high crunch system as I find power-gaming takes away from the role-playing. So, my ideal system has some properties, like:
  • Combat does not take an overly long time to run through.
  • Tactical decisions are simple, analysis paralysis is avoided (as much as possible)
  • More important than whether you're using a bastard sword, or a longsword, or a flail, is what you're overall weapon form is. Ie, sword-and-shield, two-handed weapon, two-weapon, reach-weapon, etc
  • The weapon form implies offensive and defensive relative effectiveness
    two equally skilled fighters, one using a sword and shield, the other using a glaive (or other two-handed weapon) - the fighter with the glaive gets mauled most of the time
  • yet, there remain excellent reasons to be two-handed weapon fighter
  • shields matter - a lot, but differently from armor
  • armor matters - a lot, but differently from shields and defensive skill
    offensive and defensive skills are distinct
  • attributes do not overwhelm skill, even at lower levels. Skill level should dominate. The effect of attributes should be secondary.
  • teamwork, both in the sense of combat tactics and character design, is of great importance
  • Mobility plays an important part in combat
  • length of combat does not change as characters progress in levels (ie, combat between "1st" level fighters takes the same time as combat between "20th" level fighters
  • Magic looks like Magic, not like skill or craft - ie, it is powerful, even unbalanced, but has drawbacks to it's use, as in risks or other consequences
  • Not classed based, but rather skill-based
  • If you are human, and go toe-to-toe against a T. Rex with your sword and shield - you are going to be eaten, 20th level or not. Indeed, coming upon a tiger would be terrifying in my ideal combat system.
  • character death should be mostly a matter of choice by the participants - ie, you shouldn't be at risk of getting hit by a lucky critical hit and dying suddenly - there should be opportunity to disengage before dying, and even when knocked out of combat, death should be only one possible outcome, regardless of the degree of trauma of the last "hit" that took you out. Hopefully, that made sense. Basically, I want it to be that you only die if you're an idiot or otherwise chose to risk death, or the dm's a jackass. something like that.

These are some of the properties of my ideal system. What about yours?

My favorite response from that thread posted:

Mine doesn't have separate rules for combat.

Separate from what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I think he wants a game like FATE where the rules for physical combat aren't greatly different and more complicated than the rules for social combat or exhibiting a feat of prowess.

Okay, I see that I formatted it wrong.

See, someone responded to him saying, "It shouldn't have combat rules separate from anything else".

And then he said "Anything else? I don't understand."

And then I killed myself.

e: so my use of "favorite" was unironic, i guess

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tolan posted:

But neither is more than vaguely close to actual combat.

But the system that does not recognize the difference is less than ideal :colbert:

Oh, and also, because this thread forced me to remember this rear end in a top hat:
--------------------------
RPGs "just a game"?

Someone has pointed it out on an RPGsite thread, that one of most annoying things around are when someone in a debate about RPGs, in a forum about RPGs, goes around saying (sarcastically) that RPGs are "serious business" or in other words that "its all just a game".

Now, I go out of my way very often to remind the Swine that the RPG is a GAME, not a story-telling device or an excuse to act pretentious or a vehicle to express your disgust at being constantly forced to obey social norms. But that doesn't mean that its "just" a game. There's no just about it; and that's where the Swine always fail: they always unconsciously put that "just" in front of the term, feeling like if all they were doing was the game itself it'd somehow be inappropriate use of their time. They have to make it MORE than a game; except when they're losing an argument, and then they try to make it "JUST" a game to try to shut down all possibility of someone pointing out what asses they're making of themselves.

Here was my response in the thread:

"I mean seriously, either poo poo or get off the pot. If you're on THIS forum (or any other forum dedicated to RPGs) you clearly do not feel that RPGs are "just a game", and you're just using one of the lamest tactics ever as a pathetic attempt to shut down debate that you don't feel you have the intellectual or moral backbone to defend your position on. Its bullshit.

Obviously, every one of us here feels that RPGs are "serious business" as a game, as a hobby, as a pass-time or a creative endeavour. That doesn't mean that we should treat them as motherfucking High Art or as some kind of pseudo-intellectual academic study, but that we should be willing to go all-in on actually standing up for our vision of what RPGs are, and take them seriously within that context. To say that RPGs are a serious thing does not mean that you have to go the Swine route; on the contrary, its usually those who are utter failures at grokking the concept of RPGs for what they really are who rally around these movements to try to bring utterly un-necessary pretentiousness to the hobby, and then (when they are losing an argument) very quickly turn around and pull the "Its Just A Game" card when they want to try to silence the victorious opposition.

On the other end of clearly circular spectrum are the would-be Hipsters who think that by trying to say "Its Just A Game" they're showing off some kind of faux-"Cool" at investing years of their lives into the hobby but not actually being willing to engage with that in a serious way. Seriously, motherfucker?! The guys who have put in time to the hobby but DON'T act like they're ashamed of it are the losers? Seriously?!

Man up, bucky. Buy the ticket, take the ride."

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Meerschaum Masonic + Planta's Image Latakia

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

John Wick could probably make a great game if he learned about the wonders of editing and play-testing.

I mean, Houses of the Blooded has several cool ideas in it, and can be a lot of fun, but BYO houserules, is what I'm saying. (e: but don't just take my word for it when you can buy all 300+ pages for 5 bucks)

Also, if the way he talks annoys you, the way he writes might drive you rabidly insane.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

No poo poo, my local gaming gang has an image macro just for our dozen-person email list of John Wick getting punched from every direction at once.

I don't think I ever knew he was the "your character is in jail, but not dead, so hang out for a year doing nothing" guy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

quote:

MUST be:
From a reputable company. If I can't order it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble I'm not interested.

Oh, isn't he the cutest? I just want to pinch his adorable little cheeks! :swoon:

quote:

all collectible card and roleplaying games and all associated things are for manchildren. to draw distinctions between them and be all "no yours is dumb and lame mine is better" is directly equivalent to being that annoying kid on the playground who always had to smugly one-up everyone else

I play games about the Warsaw Uprising and pain and redemption, so I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. :smugdog::pipe:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Turing sex machine posted:

you swine

What is it like?

I am a poster-child for ADHD immediate-gratification "story-now"ed-ness. And yet, it got me to calm the gently caress down and soak in the redolent atmosphere of a mystery and horror that we were all making together. I created my character, and then I started to learn more about them.

Some indie poo poo, you play like you used to play with action figures: take one in each hand, immediately start bashing them into one another, stop when you're tired. Annalise you play like you're leaning back in an outdoor hot tub, staring up at the cold-burning stars, trying to figure out how you got to this point in your life, and who you are, really, and does the horror in your life come from your own nature, or can you find some other awful inhuman thing to blame for it?

Except you're actually another person, because it's for-babies imagination-play.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

happyelf posted:

Uh actually, nanotech is mostly bullshit atm, and the stff that isn't is moving closer and closer to biotech.

I'm going to write a letter to Science: by moving over to the flash-in-the-pan, MMO-style "biotech" that all the 12-year old boys love so much, they've alienated their true fans forever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

quote:

It's me, isn't it?
Don't worry, bro: there's room enough for both of us to have our own separate imagination spaces. The Fading Suns setting floats my personal boat just fine, though the base system has problems severe enough you'd be better off using Star Wars Saga or d6 or just about anything.

Of course, what I really want is for someone to make a new edition that changes all the bad parts, so I could read some grognards complaining about it.

Content:

TheRPGPundit posted:

Nobilis is one of the worst RPGs ever written; its a convoluted mess hiding an utterly mediocre beancounting system. Its also one of the most pretentious systems ever designed, where every page bleeds with the attitude that "this is for SPECIAL people, and if you don't actually "GET" it, you are one of the great unwashed" so all the Swine pretend to "get" it.
Its filth.

But it is an RPG, barely.

Games that are different in theme and style from the games I already know are PERSONAL INSULTS MOTHERFUCKER

Smoking: page after page of your stupid slut of a game, that'll teach her to mock me

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

This such a bizarre stance to take...the whole "new gamers = dumbing down" argument seems to assume there's some limited amount of "gaming" in the universe, and the more people there are who tap into this resource, the less there is to go around.

It's all in-group signalling. You've probably heard many times someone say something like: "SUBCULTURE used to be cool, but now a bunch of NEGATIVE TRAIT people got into it, and I'm embarrassed to be seen enjoying it."

Or a slightly different take: "people like me used to appear relatively important in this particular field of human endeavor, but now they do not."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I take slight issue with your use of "fact." Other folks are arguing about balance and letting people have fun, whereas you are reifying imaginary tiny people.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I forgot it was a competition to do more cool poo poo than everybody else.

TG Discussion: a competition to do more cool poo poo than everybody elsetogether

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fire posted:

'If I were you,' said a soft, yet gravelly voice from the shadowed corner of the room, 'I would remove your hands from my valuables and leave my mansion at once. Ah! But do not over-rush, for Lakshmi has quite a fragile disposition, and if anything were to startle her, she would no doubt strike you stone dead. No, please do not speak either. If you are seeking to provide for your many children, then may I recommend a profession where you do not tempt death nightly, such as...well, such as almost any that does not involve trying to steal from men far too old, rich and opium-besotted to care whether anyone lives or dies.'

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Trouble Man posted:

Thanks, RPGnet.

If evocatively-named hyperspace kung-fu is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

But, you'll remember it, and what's more, if the dice go his way and he wins, it'll be really boring and annoying for you.

He's not playing, he's griefing. Just like all those "Haw haw I killed all the players" DMs.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

As a veteran of other gaming forums, I still have difficulty accepting Discussion being a sub-forum of PBP.

In a strange way, it reflects good priorities: we should play more than we discuss playing.

In a normal way, it reflects bad priorities: we should play with people geographically close to us more than we play with folks online, and forums are made for discussing things.

But, that's all half-nard theory bullshit: I can't complain about the results, so who gives a poo poo.

Gerund posted:

Much like every time someone "wins" at EDH

Do you mean this? I am dubious of an open weirdo variant with only 31 banned cards being "casual" with "a low barrier to entry."

I think you have a post to make in the worst rules thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Look guys, the problem is that in 4e, because of the point buy system and no stat prerequisites, everyone can be whatever class they want, so every large city is divided more or less evenly into all the levels of all the classes, so by my calculations, it's 144% unrealistic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Laex posted:

but 1.7% of the population has trained as amage so its natural to have several hundreds of mages just hanging around waiting for an elder dragon attack that may or may not happen. Like some sort of magical cold war.

Where did this bizzarely specific 1.7% number come from? Is it from an old setting book or something? Because it's probably not at all inaccurate for the Forgotten Realms or some poo poo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Didn't take the Jail-Bait package? Then you can't buy Fanservice as a Loli.

Creepy Anime Heartbreakers are the new Fantasy Heartbreakers, it seems.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Turing sex machine posted:

Guys it's not supposed to simulate real life.

Ah yes, because simulating an a broad swathe of unrelated fictional works is a much more sane task to undertake.

quote:

4th ed roles are like communism

"And when everyone is special, then no one will be!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dominion posted:

No, but I can see how you would think that, since basically every other force-based spell did. MM just didn't for some reason.

Forward-thinking Gygaxian Naturalism.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

He flips through some of it, eyes go wide as he realizes that it's got a bunch of new stuff in alongside the old dungeon, and then he PUNCHES A WALL AND SCREAMS.

If I were in that situation, I think I might be sufficiently concerned to contact someone in HR. It's not that they could be terminated or disciplined for it (unless you work in day care or something), but it's important for incidents like this to go on record, in case they establish a pattern of violent behavior. What if that guy does the same thing when his wife gets his toast wrong?

Alternately I'm being a big scardey-cat and you should just spread stories about what an immense loser he is.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I kind of want to see if it would be workable to run a game using the exalted ruleset and the d&d cosmology. unfortunately I hear bad things about the exalted rules, so maybe not

If you want characters that can steal suns, the game you probably want is Nobilis.

To sumarize the system briefly, there are...

RPGPundit posted:

Goddamnit that woman can't write worth poo poo. She is loving hell-bent for leather in her determination to be the most incomprehensible producer of byzantine unbearable drivel in the entire hobby.

I knew a lot of people like that, mostly over-eager full-of-themselves college- undergrads that grew out of it, but a few that never did. They talk not so that they can communicate, but for the express purpose of being misunderstood, so that they can get wood over how clever they are, what with being so wordy and pseudo-intellectual that they can't actually say anything successfully at all. Yeah, because that's just infinitely useful for anything other than stroking their own dicks. :rolleyes:

...I guess if you want to know more there's a thread for it. :eng99:

edit: but yeah, you could roll it with the classic D&D cosmology, and Nobilis' whole system of embodying, serving and questioning primal concepts frequently reminds people of Planescape, so I'm not just throwing around a pet favorite system I swear.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 26, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Norglyle posted:

This is pretty much how every online RPG playtest that I've ever heard of or been involved with goes.
A playtest of Danger Patrol I participated in invented "Danger Cadet Timmy," who became a sidebar-talking-head for later drafts. Which were extremely different in ways that matched issues that we reported to the author.

Vaguely similar effects with microscope and Misspent Youth (that guy actually listened to a recording of our entire session, what a loving glutton for punishment).

So what I'm saying is, it need not be so!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

TBZ has been playtested a bunch of times, whachoo talking about? I remember folks playing it at Camp Nerdly two years ago.

Gerund posted:

Much of web 2.0 is self-selected public relations? Say it isn't so!

I am unironically confused. NorgLyle self-selected to share his negative experiences (which I don't mean to deny or criticize) and I self-selected to share my positive experiences, just to say that positive experiences happen too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Locus Cosecant posted:

Unfortunately, the other RPGs on the market aren't even games

That is one incredibly broad brush you've painting with there.

Unless by "market" you mean some strange new concept I'm not familiar with, in which case I'd love to know more about it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Locus Cosecant posted:

If there is an RPG out there that is a better game qua game than 4e (Dread does not count, my hands are too twitchy for Jenga) I would like to know about it.

I was more responding to "aren't even games." If I understand your criterion right, there's a few of those; Agon and mechaton should count, and Capes might.

It's very likely that 4e is the best tactical experience in an RPG you'll see until 5e. WotC has experience, focus, and vast design & testing resources, as far as RPGs go.

edit: oh, if you don't mind fighters having magic powers, you might also enjoy Weapons of the Gods.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 11, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

Typical goon always sucking the latest version of everything's cock... I have evidence of this in anecdote form.

Y...you think I'm a typical goon? :swoon:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Welp, heard an unironic "He's based off an anime I doubt you've heard of" at the game last night, time to burn my PHB and find a new hobby

I know a guy who doesn't play characters who aren't exact imitations of characters from television or film. Like, he's opposed to making original ideas, and he doesn't like games that he can't easily fit unoriginal ideas into. That poo poo amazes me. He's the roleplaying version of the person who writes nothing but fanfiction, or the 40+-year-old version of the kid who wants to be Naruto in every game.

Still, it's you, etc.

The only way the catchphrase could be worse is if someone made a smiley for it, so get on that people, tia

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 11, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

C'est vous. Vous est "le vrai canard."

e: wheee first page

Thread about someone who started with 4e learning to GM Pathfinder posted:

No offense intended. I was referring to my gaming group, four of us are 45 to 48 years old and three of us are 24 year olds - one is the daughter of our former DM who was killed in car wreck over a decade ago. She's all grown up and playing D&D/Pathfidner good for her. I don't know why it is, but any time we are calculating XP division, gold piece splitting or anything like that - oh and reading analog clocks, they can't do it without grabbing their cell phones and hack it out. I don't get it. 'They' being all three 24 year olds, and they're smart and have great system mastery, but they can't seem to add, subtract, multiply or divide in their head.

I usually do it in my head then announce the amount their looking for right before all their clicking gets the answer. So I didn't mean to reflect you, unless you were in that 25 year old and under age bracket that relies on calculators too much. Even the slowest members of our older group does it in their head, accurately and quickly. So a reflection of the times, compared to us old farts?

:corsair: + :smug: = "No offense, I just noticed you youngsters have trouble with your algebra, no doubt due to playing baby-simple (yet overcomplicated) games which are ruining my hobby."

e2:

Click here for the full 640x481 image.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 11, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This dude chose his game in order to blow the mind of the young'uns in his gaming store. Lets focus on that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

GURPS Blood Types taught me about the Pennagglen (or something): a beautiful woman whose head comes off her shoulders at night, pulling her guts out with it. This delightful combo then flies around the village eating people.

The worst part was, there were no rules to play as one!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

aaagggh fuckin weeabo0 asian vamps ruining mah game of personal horror

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I've read the whole thread over a couple of weeks, and I regret nothing.

Android Blues posted:

It's GURPS. Those rules are in the Basic Set.

Not necessarily. There are "NPC" style stat blocks in some supplements that aren't written with skills, advantages, disadvantages and the like.

Of course, this was all before 4th, which I haven't seen much of, but which I'm sure ruined everything, killing imagination, being too anime, blah blah blah.

...Actually, I've been looking for almost five ten whole minutes now, and GURPS nard seems to be of a different breed. Apparently, they all switched over to 4th with nary a hiccup? I remember the mailing list always being full of arguments about pricing DR on a logarithmic scale, or which sword is the swordiest because we're all SCA combat veterans, or kinetic energy calculations to find out whether your new sci-fi gun should do either 4d+2 or 5d-3 damage.

So yeah, they're neckbeards, but they lacked the venom I now crave.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Locus Cosecant posted:

IQ bonus to guns was the stupidest thing

It was GURPS' nod to the beating-up-jocks fantasy, just like D&D had wizards vs fighters.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

They should have let the Broadsword skill default to History Channel skill at -2.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ah, of course: Strength was the most useless attribute. It all becomes clear.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Quick, someone make something NASCAR-legal with GURPS Vehicles to re-summon him.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I remember a long thread, maybe on a mailing list, started by a guy who wanted to stat Star Wars walker vehicles (the AT-ST, I believe). He wanted to know what he was doing wrong: it was so unbalanced, it could barely walk over uneven terrain, and when it was hit by almost any weapons fire, you needed to roll at -16 just to keep it standing!

And so it was that young Hawkins realized that realism should never be the highest principle in gaming.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

S.J. posted:

This is the actual text of the power:

He deliberate left out part of the effect text to come up with a terrible, terrible argument.

It...it's right there, isn't it. He couldn't possibly have done that by accident, no matter how blinded by hatred of 4e he has become.

How much contempt do you need to have for your internet friends when you start feeding them trivially disprovable lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

angrylinuxgeek posted:

Well, there a problem with the Tyr Region; if Athas rotates with the sun raising in the East, then the Forest Ridge Rain shadow is on the wrong side; that is, the forest should be in the Tyr region unless it's not near the equator as in the Brax world map.

If you look at the world map, you'll notice forest that shouldn't be there. That means only one thing; Avangion/Druid etc. If you note my Sundra Peninsula, you'll notice that the trees are on the wrong side compared to the Forest Ridge and there's no source of water; so, Avangion.

A wizard did it, Dark Sun Edition.

It is, of course, impossible that the Elemental Chaos, which created a physics-defying silt ocean, might be more watery in those areas.

Actually, I do like the idea of the sun going from west to east, or rather, of maps being oriented towards what we would call the "south" pole.