Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

World of Darkness to him is an episode of the Superfriends.

To be fair, Superfriends with a werewolf and a Promethean sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Trollman comments read like some sort of bizarro version of Atlas Shrugged where the horrible "basketweaver" parasites try to interfere with the glorious power gamer Randian supermen.

I am Frank Trollman, and I am here to ask you a question. Is a fan not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

'No,' says Wizards of the Coast, 'he's getting an MMO.'
'No,' says Mike Mearls, 'it should be "balanced"'.'
'No,' says Ed Greenwood, 'it needs more prostitutes.'

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...

The Gaming Den.

A place where the wizard would not fear the nerf,
where the TRUE fan would not be bound by petty logic,
where the great would not be constrained by the small.

And with the sweat of your brow, The Gaming Den can become your forum, as well.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It still annoys me how many people in my area are huge grognards who want to stick to old editions of "traditional" games, and when you suggest anything new they just respond "We only play REAL games that aren't driven by corporate greed, thanks :smugbert:", like it's a crime that I have so many splatbooks offered to me at a clearly reasonable price.

Well, those close-minded jerks can stay unenlightened, I'll be over here playing Thetan: The Ascension.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

And if I wanted to play a game with dailyies and powers I would hop on my computer and play any MMO thats out there

Yes! I, too, find the use of x/day powers in D&D a new and enraging experience.

Apparently he traded his english skills for the ability to perceive reality differently.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Whenever people talk about ability scores I always think of the guy I used to play with who almost invariably rolled melee fighters of some sort with very high stats and good Charisma who usually acted like someone who would die a virgin.

Later I found out through others that apparently he had devised his own "system" of generating ability scores that always produced high stats across the board and would use it without informing his DM. His regular DM was retarded and decided to trust everyone instead of checking for suspicious fiddling on their sheet.

I was that DM :ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

There's hardly been an original article or adventure in Dragon/Dungeon that hasn't been a preview in the last several months? (EDIT: *This might not be true; however, it feels that way and adventure support is certainly well down.)

quote:

This is beyond pathetic.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Piell posted:

To be fair, the DDi team is incompetent.

Pretty much! I am sure we can come up with better reasons than "here is something I feel which I freely admit has less factual basis than Mao Zedong's tennis rivalry with Bigfoot" though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Speaking of ENWorld, myself and two others who frequent the 4e subforums were just banned (I was banned for insulting someone's chart). The forums are literally slowly getting rid of anyone who doesn't hate 4e.

How dare you insult a gentleman's tables! Sir, you are hereby...

:rolldice:

Banned! Let's check the duration...

:rolldice:

Oh dear. That doesn't look good for you.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Chaltab posted:

So it's Asinine Agnosticism. That... sounds about right. Does god exist? Let's find out. :rolldice:

Frankly this sounds like the kind of religion I want in my setting.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Professor Cirno posted:

in the den of iniquity that is my basement, it is still 1974: wizards are sinister, cultists are crazy, and women are naked. And unsurprisingly, that's the way my players like it.

Actually for some reason this reminds me of FATAL.

FATAL posted:

For instance, assume you are an adventuring knight who has just fought his way to the top of a dark tower where you find a comely young maiden chained to the wall. Some may choose to free the whimpering wench. Others may free her while hoping to win her heart. Instead of seeking affection, some may talk to her to see if they can collect a reward for her safe return. Then again, others may be more interested in negotiating freedom for fellatio. Some may think she has no room to bargain and take their fleshly pleasures by force. Others would rather kill her, dismember her young cadaver, and feast on her warm innards.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

in real life, it doesn't matter how good your bluff is, you are never going to get someone to act against their own interest. It doesn't matter how good your diplomacy is, you are never going to convince them of something they aren't already disposed to be convinced of. It doesn't matter how great your intimidation is, it isn't going to matter if you don't have the appearance of firepower to back it up.

This man has no idea how social interaction works in real life.

Also, the use of "Swine" makes me imagine this guy as a horse sitting in a barn and typing on a laptop, growing increasingly furious at the way QWERTY keyboards aren't designed for hooves.

He has a flourishing neckmane

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I made a thing, I believe this is the only true statement about D&D on the internet

(edited for thumbnail)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

including wind speed and direction and what effect that has on the surface of a body of water.

Is... is it wrong that I want this book now?

Also, 4/22. :(

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's literally just a series of grogposts from here smashed together. Someone should post it at rpg.net or EN World and see how many people agree with it.

Pretty much, yeah.

I would have done it myself but it might have been too obvious.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Why does this sound like the Cookie Monster trying and failing to break into a new market?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Attilla posted:

I think the classical comparison is that it sounds like the Cookie Monster tripping over a drum kit and falling down a flight of stairs with it.

On the upside, it's not as bad as FATAL itself, though I don't think it could be without somehow working in the phrase "being raped by a well-endowed minotaur" as well or something. It's just kind of bad.

Hearing someone sing about "Fantasy Adventure To Adult Lechery" is worth a giggle though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey guys check it out, 4E is exactly like WoW if I couch them in specific and extremely vague terms which could refer to any number of RPGs on the market today, including Pathfinder!

Man, gently caress 4E. If I liked MMOs, I would play a subscription-based MMO like World of Warcraft for years.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Drox posted:

how many fatbeards play wow in between 6 hour paladin raping sessions of pathfinder, i wonder

i bet its one of those things where lots of people do it privately but speak out against it publicly

I used to play WoW, I uninstalled the game so I could have more free time and play more D&D though.

I am not sure what this says about me as a person

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

pro 4tism shirts

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

And it didn’t matter because each class had their own quirks or spells that made them fun to play.

I agree.

Who needs Bigby's Disintegrating Turkey Slap when you have Greater Weapon Focus?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Wait wait....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ryoga-2003

quote:

This user is a Buddhist.

quote:

This user is a Shintoist.

quote:

This user follows Shamanism.

quote:

This user reads Ctrl+Alt+Del and celebrates Winter-een-mas respectively.

quote:

This user is a deviantART deviant as ryoga-2003

:ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I... kind of want to see that picture.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Far more interesting to me personally to explore the gender politics of the oppressed gender from the viewpoint of the gender that has actually be supressed historically. It'd sit with me better in the same way that I'd rather play a black slave rebelling against white overseers than a while slave rebelling against black overseers.

"I'm not saying I don't like the idea of exploring gender issues, I'm just asking if we can oppress the women.

My verisimilitude! :circlefap:"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I usually give NPCs fairly normal names like Wallace or Paige because I have trouble describing someone named Andrakoth, Grand Wizard of the Seventh Circle while keeping a straight face.

I have run an NPC named Kyle Hecatomb, though. He ran a consulting and logistics business for bad guys which designed dungeons, devised rituals, brokered deals between rival villains, etc.

He also quietly sold out his clients for bags of money before they finished their evil plans, so sometimes if the PCs want to know something they just went and threw money at him. The last name helped because other villains would assume anyone seriously named Hecatomb was a badass.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

I generaly don't tel AC. With my new table - total newbies sent in FFC! - I don't even give them their own hp's. They just jave their abilty scores on a sheet. By the way, they don't know their own armor class, but they still have no armor except ione with a helmet found in a grave.

Letting your players know their own stats? You must be a new DM. :smug:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah they know, apparently they think of this as a 'cool kids club' where all the mean people gather around and mock others.

quote:

It's not like it's a badge of honor or anything. Pretty much all of us made it on that thread sooner or later. It's just that it's funny as hell to see hipster douchebags dance like they've got the moral high ground by practicing "in-crowd" mockery away from the people they actually quote. The lame platitudes and back-handed, self-righteous, pseudo-wisdom of the posts keeps on giving. Lulz for the win.

I am now imagining everyone in this thread quietly sipping Pabst Blue Ribbon as they peer at the latest posts through horn-rimmed glasses.

Oh, Something Awful? Yeah, it's an obscure forum you've probably never heard of. :smug:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It sounds like the kind of "roll on this table to generate Captain Richard Puller, Grand Wizard of The Grasping Hand's memorable nervous habit" stuff you can easily find in quite a few tabletop supplements these days.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Edit: Wow, now I feel extra special - that's apparently Benoist, the guy who called me out by name at RPGSite. Fellas, I think I may have an obsessee on my hands :allears:

Hate is just love with its back turned. :allears:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Meepo posted:

:suicide:

This gets better if you imagine someone sitting down with a completely normal D&D group and then announcing his actions to the DM. With a perfectly straight face.

A single tear rolls down the DM's cheek.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Co-sine posted:

A campaign is like a child. You nurture it, you let it grow over time and eventually justify his actions by implying that they appealed to a primal sexual festish- cock vore.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
My verisimilitunes!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Guilty Spork posted:

Getting rid of classes? No, gently caress you. I like classes!

More classes in later source books? Ok, now your comercializing my drat game, gently caress you!

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
No, he's basically right. The difference, the "line" asked about in the OP between a storygame and an RPG comes down to the fact that in a storygame it is the GOAL of a storygame to "create a story". That is what the group is supposed to work toward. In an RPG, the goal is to play a character (a role) in an emulated world.

There might be some kind of a story that happens in the process of playing an RPG, but its entirely a byproduct and not the central purpose. Likewise, some people might do a bit of roleplaying in a storygame, but its utterly secondary to the purpose. When it comes down to it, in an RPG no one will say "that can't happen because it fucks up the story" or "this should happen because it makes it a better story", and likewise in a storygame no one will say "this happens even though it fucks up the story". "Telling a story" is always sacrificed in an RPG when it comes down to a choice between that and emulation; and "playing in an emulated world" always gets sacrificed in a storygame when it comes down between that and creating a story.

RPGPundit

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This storygame thing sounds like a completely arbitrary distinction, but then again so do a lot of elfgame words.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

First of all, if you'd read my entire post, I wanted to cap Female Human Strength at 21. There is no edition of D&D, that by RAW allows the rolling up of a Human character with 21 Strength at 1st Level. None. And personally, short of Magical enhancement, I've never seen a built-up character with a higher than 21 Strength...Ever. Again: different tables, different experiences. There is no "One" D&D experience. Secondly, I also don't believe that limiting Strength scores to a mortal 23 and 21 respectively, is "negatively" impacting anything. It is however, defining the limits of my campaign world in a realistic manner. Is it necessary to be that way for every campaign? Of course not. Should it be a part of the official rules? IMO, No. Does it destroy the "Fun" of the game? For me and my group: No. If it does for you then don't use it.

But I'm getting drat tired of people in this thread describing those who want to use such a mechanic, as Sexist. I believe everybody here is quite aware of the rules of this Forum and the ettiquette expected here. I think it's high time for people in this thread to start exercising some self control as concerns this.

In the entire history of the world, there has never been a recorded instance of any woman being able to execute a feat of strength greater than what's allowed by a D&D Strength of 21.
Likewise for men and a Strength of 23. Wanting to run a game where this makes a difference, pointing out that difference, and establishing a mechanic to model that, is not sexist. It may not be a mechanical philosophy you like, or a type of game you want to play (i.e. attempting realism), but it's not sexist, and I'd appreciate it if you and everybody else who's so casually throwing that about will stop and take a good look at their own motives and actions.

Nothing says verisimilitude like enforcing gender differences!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Fourth edition!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

Effect: Whenever this character encounters a body of water large enough for them to swim in (water is as high as hips), a will check of DC 30 must be made (modifiers in chart below). If it fails, the character immediately removes all clothing and enters the pool of water. All swim checks made while naked receive a +5 bonus (which is good for getting away from water monsters that are just as surprised as you are).

Benefit: Bonus Feat.

So wait, for the price of having to consult a chart every time we cross a bridge, my wizard Greywold the Elderly can get a bonus to Swim checks and a bonus metamagic feat?

Sign me up!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

Self Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome
You are pretty sure your lack of interpersonal skills seems a lot like this thing you read on Magipedia.
Benefit: No benefit.
Drawback: You get -10 to Sense Motive, Bluff, and Diplomacy skill checks. You do not actually have Asperger Syndrome.
Roleplaying Ideas: Read grognards.txt.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

I have read the op and I must say that I have had some bizarre thing happen to my characters. A male fighter once got killed and rezed by a god call. came out of the cave a female. about 3 levels later was gang raped by the other two characters-by choice,no magical compelling- The dm rolled that she got prgnant and i had her take her sword and fall on it. as she died, she rolled off the cliff she had stood on. the others never were ever able to find her.

Roleplaying!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Well, it is gritty and realistic.

The best part about this is I never said anything about rape as a roleplaying mechanic, just needing rules for it.

Apparently there is no difference!