Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

moths posted:

Female space marines are warhammer's Catholic priestesses.

Space nuns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Like any sandbox, that style of campaign is only as good as the toys you have to play with in it.

Grognards want an empty expanse with endless, and therefore useless possibilities because their players have no tools with which to shape a narrative. A good sandbox will have a number of "toys" in the shape of plot hooks, interesting NPCs, and unique locations for the players to explore and indicate to the GM what kind of adventure they want to enjoy. It is the GM's responsibility in such a campaign to make the players aware of their options and then let them choose.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Warforged are the new Kender.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Gerund posted:

Ah yes, those hipster roleplayers. Wearing their faux-progressive conspicuous non-consumption gear drinking PBR and reading the 2nd edition monster manual next to their Super Nintendo.

Hipsters play the poo poo out of D&D and are a target demographic for Magic: the Gathering. No poo poo.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Gerund posted:

The Hipster aesthetic is actually fairly robust as a fashion: PoMo faux po' people wearing cheap utilitarian goods such as fixie bikes and bulky glasses, wearing clothes that achieve the worn-in and grown out of (Skinny Jeans, Flannel) look that ape a previous generation's fashion. In exchange, the majority of their investments are in to consumption goods- famously cocaine, organic foods, and concerts.

In effect, it is an efficient nihilism, to believe that there is no point in spending money on anything but your own present needs.

They promise to be the most tedious yuppies ever.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Haha the idea that Magic is a sick game is laughable. It made somewhere around a quarter of a billion dollars last year and Hasbro considers it on par with its other megabrands, including Transformers and GI Joe (as stated in their last financial report).

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

You know this thread has hit a new, lovely low when the best thing in twenty pages is Happyelf dropping truth about politics.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

That's a retarded diatribe but Points of Light is pretty uninspired and you can see that they are moving towards a stronger core setting with the expanded Nentir Vale products in 2011.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Man, gently caress John Wick, but really, he was just using a comedic piece of hyperbole to suggest that rules lawyers who are disruptive to the game deserve a taste of their own medicine.

Unless he really did that in which case he's an rear end in a top hat but everyone who plays with him are probably getting what they deserve for putting up with him.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

I prefer the bec de corbin, myself. Or maybe a bat-wing corseque!!

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

counterspin posted:

Magic sucked balance-wise until they started hiring on top level players who understood how to game the system, like Zvi. He went to a pre-release, put together a deck on the first day, and wrecked the entire set. So they started cutting him and a couple others like him a check, and things got better. If only GW could figure this out.

Balancing their games is not something of particular interest to GW. Their (highly successful) business model precludes such concerns. They primarily consider their games vehicles for the hobby.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I can see how I might play that for laughs among people I knew well (as the DM), but I can't imagine repeating it to total strangers as a funny moment.

Okay, I'll bite. How would you play that scene for laughs?

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

A friend in highschool once played a mage named Mentos, the Freshmaker.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

From an associated contest entrant's blog post:

Since you said in the past that you wanted to get arrested and you didnt care about respectful presentation of women....

A mad wizard is operating on a live patient, a woman with extremely large breasts wearing a chainmail thong. Her stomach is cut open, she appears to be screaming, and the wizard is pulling what appears to be a dwarf-owlbear hybrid out of her uterus. The wizard is wearing bloody robes with a half-decayed infant skull worn around his neck as a totem. Two more large breasted women are cowering in the corner, also wearing chainmail thongs and with looks of terror on their faces. They have slightly bulging bellies. A man lies on the floor nearby, his genitals are sliced up like a sausage with blood everywhere. A dead dwarf hangs lifeless from a meathook in the corner. An owlbear with a bloody lower torso is slumped over in a prison cell against the far wall.

/snark

http://lotfp.blogspot.com/2010/12/art-contest-win-lotfp-weird-fantasy.html?zx=1a1e58f7f0ee9aa4

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

It's depressing as hell that 4e is not meeting WotC's needs and that whatever comes next is likely to be a radical departure from the present ruleset. :(

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

4e is actually not doing particularly well by WotC's own metrics, although it is obviously outselling Pathfinder and the rest of the market by a significant margin. The future of D&D is likely to be periodic reprints of the red box and Essentials books, with new material produced by freelancers and published through the now digital Dungeon & Dragon magazines. WotC will probably move its development assets into more products like the highly successful Castle Ravenloft boardgame and self-contained Gamma World set. I suspect D&D will become a legacy product supported just enough to allow them to continue to leverage D&D as a brand onto other, more profitable products.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

rantmo posted:

Just out of curiosity, from where are you drawing this information?

Sources I don't really want to divulge, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

whydirt posted:

I think this is probably close to the truth of things at WotC, except that I still see them releasing a very limited number of hardbacks or boxed sets each year (3-4 per year) as well as more game aids and props like tokens, tiles, and cards (basically things that are difficult to pirate). For D&D, the old model of PHB+MM+DMG followed by a line of continuous splat hardcovers is over.

Yeah, I imagine they will produce peripherals like the cards, those things cost virtually nothing to produce. I'd be willing to bet that those encounters cards were originally slated to be a traditional book of some kind and someone said "hey, why not just print them as cards and cut the bullshit out?" They control all their own printing so I bet even if those things tank they'll still make a nice profit on them.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Are the Ravenloft boardgame and the Gamma World boxed set really selling better than the 4E core did? I can't imagine anybody who's never played D&D giving a poo poo about those. Like there's no way I could imagine going over to my buddy's house for game night and somebody who'd never cracked a D&D book spontaneously busting out Ravenloft.

Not necessarily outselling, but they are discrete products that require significantly less development, design, and production resources than an ongoing fantasy RPG. They are doing really well, though from what I can tell.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is that table from FATAL

It says cheap trollop, I'm guessing it's from FATAL

AD&D, bro. All rivers descend from that mountain.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Metaphor posted:

Is there any sort of actual evidence I can cite when people try to tell me "Paizo is giving WotC a beating in sales"?

amazon.com

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

That's an entirely valid criticism. One of 4e's greatest flaws is that they provided a wonderful set of tools to make interesting characters to explore a world that is barely described. Player agency is wonderful but I think most player need to be interested in a world before they'll want to explore it.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

Except for the parts that are patently false sure.

Which are those?

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

Hyperbole aside, you feel that PHB1 provides a compelling setting for a fantasy adventure game?

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

counterspin posted:

You're in a dangerous world, where civilization only holds on by the skin of its teeth. People like you are the difference between existence and destruction for individuals, villages, countries. Certainly a hell of a lot more compelling than old FR, and yeah, compelling.

It lays that out in the vaguest strokes possible. While I agree that D&D has always been "ye olde generic fantasy setting," ten pages of history and current events would have served to turn it from a list of potential GM plot points into something like a coherent world. I'm no fan of Forgotten Realms, but a little world building goes a long way towards motivating players. I really like 4e, but this is a problem they've only just identified. The Nentir Vale Essentials books are their way of trying to address this issue.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Those games were created in a period where virtually all players met through personal networks and there was little expectation of a defined world. Today, I think every new gamer comes to a game with an expectation of some world building, often intensive when you look at the video games that most players are familiar with. My criticism applies just as well to those editions, though. If you look at virtually every other successful mass market RPG in the last 20 years they have come with reams of setting material. I'm not sure that the average RPG consumer actually cares about excellence in mechanics so much as they want to engage in what seems to them to be a living, breathing world.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

counterspin posted:

But the point of the 4e setting design is that it isn't coherent. Points of light is a framework into which drat near any interesting thing you can think up can fit. They're not supposed to a coherent whole, they're supposed to be points, modules that can come and go without disturbing each other. So when you make the leap from running the published modules to doing your own stuff there's no problem, it's just another point.

That's cool and all, but maybe that expectation should have been better spelled out and the frame of a setting better filled in.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

counterspin posted:

When you fill in a frame, it isn't a frame, it's a picture. Whatever they put into the PHB, it would be generic fantasy crap that I would be entirely uninterested in, so I'm glad there's not too much of it in the PHB. You're making a lot of assumptions about "what the people want." I just know what I don't want, and that's a PHB full of useless Tolkien knockoff Greyhawk/FR crap. The only settings I have any interest are divergent enough from what people on the street think is D&D that it will never include what I'm after.

That's what their setting books are for, but that Tolkien knockoff crap is what sells books and has inspired a lot of gamers for a long time. I'm not saying it's quality, but it's what gets people playing in the first place.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

Thi part isn't exactly true either;

The point you bring up Kuang is valid and in good faith. The grognard that inspired it, not so much. Besides no one here is really arguing blank slate/no setting in a game is good. They're just framing it as the official rules shouldn't hamper a story or be the source of the setting and flavor.

You're right, I wasn't clear about separating my defense of the basic criticism from the post itself. I don't think that was particularly grognardy, though, just dumb. Edition wars are really making me nauseous and dizzy at this point.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Dr Nick posted:

Also the DMG has a whole chapter on the nentir vale (maybe two? I'm at work and I skipped those chapters) so I don't think "10 pages" or whatever is going to cut it because we already have that.

The guy is also specifically talking about deities and guess what? There's a multi-page section in the PHB and a multi-page section in the DMG that both talk about dieties and neither uses mechanical terms at all. The guy is literally wrong on all accounts.

Now, you could say "I don't like the inherent setting or its gods" and I would pretty much agree with you but lets not give credit when it clearly isn't due. This guy never even read the "core 3" I'm pretty sure of it.

I'll grant you the latter parts but I don't see why a player should be expected to own the DMG to read about the game he's playing in. Frankly, the whole DM/Player divide in core books is a terrible idea and it's a shame WotC retained that as a legacy in this edition when the rest of the industry abandoned it 15 years ago.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

TheAnomaly posted:

He's complaining about setting in the DMG, not in the settings books. He's also complaining about the DMG/PC books, which would be a valid point if the DMG was designed as a "just for dungeon masters" instead of a "how to be a DM for D&D with optional setting material." THE DMG and DMG 2 are literally DM guides, not chock full of rules and mechanics and other assorted things people should know. I like 4e's DMG books because they talk about how to run a game, how to build a setting, how to create a town... all the crap you need to know to set up and run a game but not to play in one. They also don't have all the crappy "if you're just a PC don't look in this book!" crap that most of the previous/other systems separate DM books have.

The 4e DMG is the best to date, no argument. However, I'd be very surprised to learn that most players do more than flip through their DM's copy. If you want your players to have information it should probably be in the book you title "player's handbook."

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

This is so much better than another 100 pages of Edition Wars.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

rantmo posted:

My last name means I'm a member of a race of disreputible invertibrates and that I will become heavier and heavier as my criminal power and wealth grows.

Rand or Galt?

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

[...] A black cleric is extreme, is a length. given the context yes (until the last hundred years or so there were no black clerics, the closest would be tribal priests). I don't want to change the topic, but RPGs built around medieval european concepts that try to be inclusive always look silly to me. those sorts of societies are not inclusive of the people next door, never mind the people up north that look like ghosts. It reminds me of an episode of Deep Space 9 where Sisko refuses to take part in a holodeck game everyone is playing because it portrayed prohibition US as being racially integrated, glossing over the real problems that happened. He eventually relented however.

This arguement is debated a lot. I've been in them. WFRP uses racism and sexism in fairly historically accurate ways (the Bretonnian soruce book even has an outbox at the beginning explaining the way women are treated in bretonnia but being quick to say they don't necessarily agree with it). The counter is generally that games are for fun and you shouldn't be forcing that sort of thing on people if they're trying to escape reality (which I agree with). But given the foundations of fantasy gaming it just seems dishonest for them to gloss over these things completely.

It's even more ridiculous when you're actually playing historical RPGs and it is ignored.

Anyway this is off topic. The point I was making is that RPGs have put great effort into avoiding the white male label. This means things like creating art with multiple ethnicities represented (which wasn't true of many RPGs 25 years ago, hence the 'effort'). Now obviously this should be true from the getgo, but if you're starting from a perspective of inequality that there has been change shows that the RPG industry isn't this manclub the so called feminist RPG writer has claimed.

Hellebore

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

What the hell is he talking about?

He is explaining why feminism is unncessary in RPGs because RPGs are already too inclusive.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?584497-A-Feminist-RPG-or-Kickstarter-Gold-Rush-in-full-swing

It's a pretty lukewarm kickstarter project but people are totally outraged based on some very questionable assumptions.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

If WotC is not working on 5e or a similarly sweeping change right now it means that the brand is sicker than it looks.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

roll 1 d100 and consult 26.a Gender Table

1 Aunt
2 Beard
3 Bride
4 Bitch (derogatory term for aggressive women)
5 Butch
6 Dyke
7 Faux queen
8 Female
9 Femme
10 Girl
11 Girlfriend
12 Grandma/Grandmother
13 Kathoey
14 Lady
15 Lesbian
16 Lipstick lesbian
17 Ma'am
18 Mom
19 Mother
20 Nun
21 Sister
22 Soft butch
23 Stone femme
24 Salzikrum (Middle eastern third gender)
25 Transwoman
26 Tomboy
27 Widow
28 Wife
29 Woman
30 Womyn
31 Actress
32 Comedienne
33 Goddess
34 Stewardess
35 Supervillainess
36 Waitress
37 Bear
38 Boy
39 Boyfriend
40 Brother
41 Cowboy
42 Dad
43 Dude
44 Eunuch
45 Father
46 Gay
47 Gentleman
48 Grandfather\grandpa
49 Groom
50 Guy
51 Hombre
52 Husband
53 Imam
54 Male
55 Man
56 Metrosexual
57 Monk
58 Muxe
59 Queen
60 Sir
61 Sissy
62 Son
63 Transman
64 Travesti
65 Uncle
66 Widower
67 Wizard
68 Androgyne
69 Asexual
70 Autogynephile
71 Autosexual
72 Bottom
73 Bigender
74 Cross dresser
75 Drag king
76 Drag queen
77 Fa'afafine
78 Galli
79 Gay
80 Gender fluid
81 Genderqueer
82 Guevedoche
83 Hermaphrodite
84 Heterosexual
85 Hijra
86 Homosexual
87 Intergender
88 Intersex
89 Khanith
90 Neutrois
91 Queer
92 Straight
93 Sworn virgin
94 Third gender
95 Transgender
96 Transexual
97 Transvestite
98 Top
99 Two spirit
100 Grognard

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Pangalin posted:

If we don't slavishly adhere to the charts, why even have charts at all? Next you'll be advocating just making whatever kind of character you want to make, you swine.

(Chart is missing the mandatory "roll twice, take both" option.)

What do you think #99 means???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Pangalin posted:

As long as I can roll #99 as a result from rolling #99 I'm satisfied.

Gonna stack sixteen genders

Get all the proficiencies

All of them

If you do that enough and spend your freebie points right you can stack the Savage Genitalia Merit like 12 times!