Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jackard posted:

Looks like someone forgot that HP is supposed to be abstract

Back in my arguing on ENWorld days, I made a long post explaining how HP were always an abstraction and how using healing surges during a short rest could be explained by the party members bandaging and splinting their wounds, applying poultices, limbering up, etc. Sure the fighter got stabbed in the arm pretty bad, but he was able to clean up and bandage the wound to the point where it no longer affected his ability to fight.

This was of course totally overlooked, and the litany of "I cannot imagine a scenario in which healing surges would realistically work" continued unabated. That was when I realized there was no point, and my arguing on ENWorld days ended shortly afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

I'm pretty sure that Bob Salvatore's never played D&D. And about that book he wrote, where Chewbacca dies... that's the only reason he agreed to write Star Wars in the first place.

He plays a lot from what I've heard in interviews. He also comes off as a really likable guy from New Joisey. He's also very aware that he writes hack genre fiction and has some pretty good ideas of what to do to make it sell.

Spikey posted:

What exactly did Wizards do to Forgotten Realms that is so terrible?

They blew up a bunch of ancillary regions and moved the timeline forward 100 years. The funny part is hearing grognards bitch about WotC raping Ed's legacy since they've been changing his world since the Moonshae trilogy and the parts of the setting they blew up were regions tacked on by later contributors. Hell, the major changes to the Heartlands all happened back in 3.5.

Longtime FR geek and 4E FR apologist posting ITT.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The General posted:

Fighters plan for the immediate battle. Paladins do the overall campaign and wizards offer magical advice on this.

Rangers would naturally take charge in mountains while druids for the woods. Rogues would be incharge of all city planning.

Monks would be coaches of all dueling affairs, aswell as most social encounters.

Bullshit! In social encounters, the monk's job is to sit back and look inscrutable.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Drox posted:

Also to confound and entertain others with zen musings.

He should also strive to spend an hour or two every day sitting on a rock or examining a pebble. Bonus RP XP for lotus position.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pieces of Peace posted:

I love how grognards insisting on their right to play weird and often ridiculous character concepts still can't imagine a monk that's not Bruce Lee combined with the Dalai Lama.

I won't let someone play a monk in my FR campaign unless he comes from far off Kara Tur and is trying to avenge his clan/father/friend from summer camp.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Seftir posted:

I've played 2E back in the day. I've read into 3.5E and it's an evolved version.

4E?... a mutation. Just my opinion.

So, 4E = homo-superior?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yep...no one here played an earlier system.

It really fucks with them when I tell them I like 4E because it reminds me of BECMI.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bob Smith posted:

That's a hell of a lot of words which can basically be summed up as "Don't Be a Dick," but I felt it worth saying.

4E's central conceit is that you're a bad rear end. You can be any special snowflake you want as long as your bad rear end. That's the point; you're an action hero.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DeclaredYuppie posted:

they saw Adaptation and now want to play a struggling, sexually frustrated author in your D&D game.

As long as he's also a bad rear end, that's totally cool.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's not unconditionally true and its still an awfully grognardy thing to say.

It's also one of the reason's why 3E ended up being more retarded than AD&D.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That's actually pretty great in a Sword and Sorcery kind of way. You want a fantasy girlfriend? Well, you better buy her necklaces and poo poo with all your adventuring loot. The fact that it's incredibly detailed and apparently involves a complex table just makes it even better.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually tables to categorize women is pretty grognardy as all gently caress

Eh, it doesn't categorize them as much as it says they're all gold digging floozies. Mysoginist, sure. But it's also pretty S&S.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

h_double posted:

I've made good use of a paper shredder when GMing Paranoia.

The character had filled out a form incorrectly, I casually asked the player "hey can I see your character sheet for a sec?" and handed him a new character in return afterwards (they were pregens).

That works because Paranoia is basically a contest to see who is the biggest rear end in a top hat at the table.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not true, Paranoia is a contest to see who can be the most ENTERTAINING rear end in a top hat at the table.

Good correction.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

Oh yay! Another tortured metaphor for why Paizo is saving us from the scourge of 4E.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HKR posted:

WotC, unlike say GW, actually has enough editorial clout to publish letters.

Fixed that for you. Was there ever a time when WD had a letters section? Heck, even GW's "fan" magazines they did for a while were just an excuse to cheap out on publishing the design studio's house rules for Necromunda.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

opaopa13 posted:

Those of you with a copy, lets turn to page 34 and look at the drawing accompanying the Dragonborn race. Does anything jump out at you? The female Dragonborn has boobs. Boobs. WHY THE gently caress DOES A REPTILE HAVE loving MAMMARY GLANDS?? Can you explain this for me? Purely within the context of this fantasy realm, do female dragons wear giant brassieres to keep their massive, scaly, dragon-titties from flopping around while they’re devouring entire villages??

Dragonborn females have tits so you can tell them apart from dragonborn males.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That 3.5 ultimately led to that sort of logic is why 3.5 is ultimately a failure. It encouraged a horde of idiots to confuse rules for killing monsters and taking their poo poo with rules for simulating physics. These same people go on to complain that the minion rules break their immersion.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fortinbras posted:

Also what the hell is a DIY RPG? One that doesn't work as written?

I think it's just nerds trying to tap into punk and indie tropes to make their arguments seem like relevant social problems and not just the complaints of a dork who doesn't want to buy new books.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Except subscribing to DDI gives you tons of good poo poo.

Also, I'm sad I haven't come across any great rants about the Dark Sun news.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Cyrai posted:

He wants all monsters to have some sort of 'better' number that inherently proves why one is more powerful than another. For example, a mind flayer might have a better of 15, but the Tarrasque has a better of 100, so that anyone looking at the monsters would be able to tell that the Tarrasque is inherently more better than the mind flayer.

Good thing they conveniently provided this scale that goes from 1 to just over 30. It's called "levels".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gomi posted:

Just because he used longer words than you're comfortable with doesn't make his point any less valid.

I like it when Neal Stephenson's characters end up sounding like Ayn Rand's characters.

quote:

My first Paladin took a feat for Tower Shield Proficiency. >.< Of course it was a bad decision, but I don't regret it. It added depth to the character.

See, it wasn't that I wrote up a complete code for my paladin, or that my DM made it a point to have my character's faith play an important part in the campaign; it was that I wasted a feat on Tower Shield Prof. That's how I added depth to my character.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

FirstCongoWar posted:

Storytelling!

While it may seem strange that this man is so bitter over WW calling their GMs "Storytellers," you must consider that he has decided to dedicate his life to a profession that was rendered obsolete sometime around the 15th Century.

P.S. That Corgi is awesome, and I am totally going to have a Corgi NPC show up in my campaign. Its name will not be Ein.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Countblanc posted:

This is honestly a mechanic I'm surprised Wizards hasn't used themselves yet. Maybe we'll see it in PHB3. Properly balanced, of course.

I thought there were a few attack powers that used a minor.. I could have sworn a ranger my friend played packed a few of them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Wouldn't it be easier to play a battle axe swinging spellcaster in 4E and actually have the battle axe swinging part be mechanically effective? Or is that his problem-- his "special snowflake" wouldn't be hosed from the start?

Also, wishing Mearls gets cancer is pretty loving lols.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

I never understood why people have such a fit when gaming companies try to keep this stuff under wraps. Blizzard isnt keeping that new MMOs details from us out of a sense of confidentiality or business practice, its because they want to lie and deceive thier fans.

No one would care except for the fact that it's a convenient bit of evidence for their "WotC is evil and out to get us" conspiracy.

quote:

To be fair, it is kinda bullshit that WOTC and all those quickstart rules are competing with smaller games but whatever

First of all, it's the Ennies, so it's pretty whatever to begin with. Second of all, it's the Ennies; I'm sure the voters and posters are "hard core" enough to at least have a passing knowledge of those smaller games.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Harry potter invented the idea of channel spells through wands? I had no idea!

This isn't even my main problem with this argument. My main problem is that Harry Potter is pretty loving great and it's drawn a lot of kids into the fantasy genre. D&D should cater to these kids because after all the whiny grognards die off, those kids are the ones who will keep the game alive.

And that's my number one problem with the "this poo poo is for twelve-year-olds" argument. Most of us nerds got into this poo poo because it appealed to our twelve-year-old sensibilities, and we can't outgrow them in our dork quest for fun escapism. That kids these days have a different frame of reference and it involves WoW and Harry Potter doesn't mean the cool poo poo from those franchises isn't worth adapting. WoW is incredibly polished and fun, and Harry Potter is the the most influential fantasy series of its age. WotC would be retarded if they didn't tap into what made that poo poo popular.

quote:

Then again I'm pretty sure that even halfway-suggesting that any edition of D&D prior to 3E has anything remotely resembling "balance" means you're just flat-out trolling. I mean, different experience tables for Christ's sake.

The brilliant irony of this statement is that different experience tables were how the classes were supposed to be balanced.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That and until this week, they were playing with a ten year old codex.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghrengis Khan posted:

The Hobbit was better.

Like a thousand times better.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

And TGD is back to talking about Warforged dicks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Keepin' The Faith
music by Billy Joel, words by Pax Veritas

Oh, the rules conveyed believability
Not video game similarity
Our throws meant save-or-die, yeah

We found out game tradition
Ain't just about mechanics...

I'm going to complain about mechanics then say it's not about mechanics. My lyrics make less sense than the latest Mars Volta single.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I still cling to the belief that FATAL is nothing more than the greatest troll ever perpetrated against gamers on the internet.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Shyrka posted:

Hang on, if the Drow priestess laughed off his beating her up, why would she fold as soon as he unsheathes his other sword? I read the Drizzt books, I know what they have to do as part of their initiation to the clergy!

It involves 15 foot tall four armed dog demons with lobster claws, and if they get pregnant it's considered a blessing

This points to the actual reason why that story is so loving wrong. Both the player and the DM considered rape an effective form of torture, which means they believe that there's such a thing as an effective form of torture. There's also the fact that these damaged fucks came up with a situation where they considered rape a justified behavior.

If someone tried to pull that sort of poo poo at my table, the Drow priestess would snicker at how small his dick was. Then I'd ask the player to never come back.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

quote:

under the influence of warped perceptions of reality.

Sums up the players nicely as well.

Also, having your villains rape people to make them more evil is loving stupid. They should be evil because they conquer and enslave or steal or murder or summon horrid nether demons, not going around committing sex crimes. You're playing D&D, not SVU:D20.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Wow, it's like every bad argument against 4E round up into one post, complete with "quizzing" people who disagree with him.

I especially like how he rages about the DMG telling DMs to take it easy on low level characters. Moron the Magnificent wouldn't ever have had a chance of earning his title if his DM played otherwise.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I hide because the lich is immune to my sneak attack.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

This is awesome :colbert:

This will be in every PbP game when 4E DS comes out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Also, the difficulty of any two monsters of a given CR often varied greatly, so two encounters of the same supposed difficulty could be incredibly different. CR was better than nothing, but that's like saying eating dirt is better than starving.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Honestly, I'm totally okay with Bioware guys being total grognards. The best games they ever put out were total grognard festivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That's not so much Grognard as a dude who totally hasn't paid the slightest bit of attention to D&D since 2nd edition. His point about medium and genre in regards to Anime just shows he hasn't watched anything more than what Adult Swim shows.