Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
no, what it implies is that Jews are a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Johnnie5 posted:

I had a shivan dragon in fifth grade, AND a serra angel :smugdog:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Android Blues posted:

the womb and birth are associated with sex, sure, but indirectly: they're one step removed

no the womb is a primary sexual characteristic

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
what so now all women are to you is wombs, and strong women are "ogres?" way to go

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Good God y'all

A friend of mine played a Modron Archivist in a 3.5 Planescape game whenever and he was pretty much the best character. He had an improbably huge greatsword that he carried around rigged up to his back all the time despite not being a big tough melee combatant because "that's what adventurers carry".

this pretty much rules

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think having everyone be a different level AND have different exp is a great idea because it encourages cheating, and it's funny to see people cheat at RPGs

also level 14 is a great place to cap druids and isn't retarded or arbitrary at all

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know what you are talking about Humans are Superior. Elves can't even be raised from the dead and it takes them thousands of years to become archmages, where humans could do it in like 20. Dwarves are midgets, halflings are midgets, everyone else is basically prey. If you aren't human you aren't worth knowing

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
is that the one where elf was a character class? because that's really cool I want to play as a dwarf elf

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
wow that quote started out reasonable and I even bought into the idea that 4E is unrecognizably different than OD&D but then bam, living in a literal fantasy world

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There is nothing more American than a hatred of the French. This applies to all Anglophone Americans.

Tolkien felt that his true calling was to remove the poisonous french influence from his beloved English language, it's why he talks about a dragon's hoard rather than its treasure, since treasure is French

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hyperactive posted:

I tend to agree. Keeping things to low levels and staying out of the menagerie of wildly unbalanced poo poo that's 90% of the books outside the core helps to cover it up, but yeah, it's ultimately an untenable system. My 5th level Monk has +17 to Acrobatics (except for when it's actually +37). I don't even care about Acrobatics, it's just gotten that high. Why is anything +17 on a fifth level character?!

my favorite part of 3.5 is a plan I made called "vorpal swords for everyone" where a level seven bard casts magic aura on a bunch of masterwork items to replicate the party's most expensive equipment a bunch of times, then sells them all, using glibness to pass any sense motive checks the merchants might make and disguise to make themselves impossible to recognize when the con is found out. There were a couple of other great spells in that plan but that was the gist of it. Anyway you use the money to buy all the best magic stuff in the city while under yet another disguise, and the party is pretty well set for life.

actually my favorite part of 3.5 was using a scroll of polymorph any object on a wizard's imp familiar so you could permanently have a balor familiar at level 1

Unfortunately I've never felt like being a dick to a DM dumb enough to let me do either of those, I'm just not hardcore enough

Ulta posted:

Lets insult 4th ed by comparing it to a game that has 11+ million players, was a compilation of everything that was done right in the genre so far, and took its hobby into the mainstream!

World of Warcraft sucks and if it had been a compilation of everything good in the genre so far it would have been called UO2

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
D&D has never had a truly vancian magic system. Magic items in D&D have class requirements or you need the use magic device skill. the whole point of the Dying Earth books is that a dude like Cudgel can just pick up a book and memorize some Pandalume's Prismatic Spray spells, or pick up a wand and start killing guys with Blue Concentrate

actually giving fighters access to wands and even spells per day if they stole a spellbook could be done in a pretty cool way, wizards would still own them all over the place but not nearly as hard

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah Gary Gygax made Tomb of Horrors because people asked for it and he wanted their money, not because he thought it was the pinnacle of gaming

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Glorantha is the only good setting

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Except of course when the system is set up to have one class completely own at everything.

"Don't worry guys, we don't need a thief to hide in shadows, move silently, or pick locks, I got invisibility, levitate, and knock. Meat shield? Monster Summoning II, right here baby. Don't bother to jump over that pit...I scribed a scroll of Flying before we started this little adventure, just read it and we'll keep going."

I mean, this is right there in the system. In order to play it as a team game you basically have to pretend the Magic-User can't do anything, or keep enforcing arbitrary deadlines so that the party doesn't take a series of 5 minute adventuring days. Is it really being a "lovely DM" when the game is set up so that one large set of adventures has a limited set of mundane options (unless they have a ton of magical gear, which grognards hate) and the other small set of adventurers can almost anything? It's not a team game. It's The Wizard Adventurer and His Funny Henchmen.

the "best" way to deal with this is to force the wizard to use up all his magic and then don't let him rest for a few encounters. Unfortunately that really amounts to being a dick to the wizard so it's not any good either

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Desty posted:

Hi ho, just wanted to pop in and say how much it gets my poo poo when neckbeards complain about the art in RPG books. Never fails, unless it's That Exalted Cover, they never pick up on what's actual poo poo and what's just embedded in a product they irrationally loathe. I would go and quote the relevant section out of that RPGnet post but I really don't want to read it again.

is the exalted cover the one with the princess where you've got underboob and cameltoe and you can see the girls rear end from the front and her nipples are poking out because that one is actually a little bit gratuitous

and she's an anime

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kerison posted:

Yeah if you're Batman.

Are you Batman?

do I look like a cop

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Actually that's pretty funny anyone who wouldn't laugh at that is a retard

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you don't think that moving the books thing is funny I dunno what to tell you, it just is. It's a humorous way to make the whole 4E = WoW complaint and be a dick to strangers at the same time. hte fact that he does it quietly with no fuss every time he goes into the store is just great

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

shotgunbadger posted:

You're kinda a manchild huh?

I mean maybe once it's kinda "Oh, hah cute" kinda funny but a month? Really? That's funny still?

Also chances are at a half priced books or barns and nobles the person moving them back most likely could care less about your wicked ice burn and I guess it's funny if you're enough of a grognard to think that if you don't like the game NO ONE should play it, or if you think people seriously care about who's magic elf game is the 'superior' one.

So yea I guess if you're a stunted manchild this is a wicked burn.

settle down beavis you're really sensitive about this, I wasn't saying any of the stuff you thought. it isn't funny because it's a good burn it's funny because its dumb as hell and the guy does it all the time without drawing attention to it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

But the joke is old as gently caress literally thousands of unfunny people have moved the bible into the fiction section. A joke doesnt work on it's thousandth retelling.

actually repetition can make unfunny things absurd and funny sometimes. doing it once isn't funny but doing it every month is funny

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I know a guy in Hollywood and he told me that the D&D movie got made because the producer owed somebody a favor. The whole movie was basically doomed from the start and everyone knew it but they were stuck.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
why would you use a bow in a pit, they are really small you'd get killed. That guy is ruining my immersion

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
is the Glory Device idea from Star Control 2?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
a glory device is a good thing to trade to a dragon for your life or something like that.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I suppose it could have a better name. Final Solution or somesuch. Last resort.

I suppose the "glory device" is supposed to give it a vague name. How about "Amulet of Glorious Resolution?"

It definitely resolves combat situations, but doesn't quite sound like something one would encounter in a ye old highway side privy.

no it's a good name because you go out in a blaze of glory

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Riidi WW posted:

achilles is definitely not the guy to emulate, though... he's a berserker who's nearly as dangerous to his friends as his enemies, he dies horribly and tragically, and his short life is filled with more pain and rage than happiness.

Actually achilleus was the role model for everyone who lived in the Golden Age of Greece, he chose to accomplish something magnificent rather than live in cowardly anonymity, even though by his accomplishment he ensured his own death. Also he was extremely loyal to his friends and stood up to The Man. Achilles owns

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Riidi WW posted:

If your contention is that we should take the Classical Greeks as models then I will have to ask you to defend slavery.

What I am saying is that to respond to me by saying "[Other culture] took Achilles as a role model" does not really speak to my point.

That's ridiculous. Achilles doesn't stand for slavery so there is no need to defend it, even if he himself did own slaves he doesn't represent slavowning, and his enslaving of others is not what makes him great. Also the things I mentioned are still valuable so Achilles is a good role model.

We don't necessarily have to agree with everything the classical greeks did to know that their society was pretty cool and the things they valued are, on the whole, the things we value.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Etherwind posted:

Great things accomplished on the backs of slaves are not great.

wrong they rule

Riidi WW posted:

You can't just pick and choose characteristics you like from somebody to call him a good role model.

watch me

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Etherwind posted:

Liesmith is like Poopsmith except, regrettably, he hasn't taken a vow of silence.

aren't you like a holocaust denier or something?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
what I found weirdest is that the dude talking about his ugly druidess is lax enough that he thinks wolf loving is OK in a game but is uptight enough to call in "relaxation of tension"

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you don't understand, ugly people don't have anything and attractive people have so much. It's like the indians, first they got relegated to reservations and then when white people wanted those to even worse reservations. Except in this case the reservations are people's basements

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm too short to be intimidating :( but I do love the amount of attention my girlfriend gets each day at work. Nerds just sit there and rant on and on about their character. One time I was playing an apocalypse game so the store was filled with desperation. This kid with the worst acne I'd ever seen would not stop talking about how awesome his nids were, oh here check out how many gaunts I fit on a dreadnought base, here's my cellphone ring tone.

I could tell she was getting bored with him so I just called out from across the store "HEY SWEETCHEEKS GET ME A DEW WOULD YA" and she told me the kid got this really sad look on his face and stopped talking to her completely.

is this a grognard repost because drat it should be

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So easy an orc could play it

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bedurndurn posted:

Rope trick owns. Nothing says epic Tolkien-style fantasy like popping a hole in reality like Bugs Bunny. The only thing better would've been Power Word: Duck Season.

if you want to gently caress with someone who overuses rope trick just give them an unidentifiable artifact that happens to be a pocket dimension or have some poo poo go down that cuts the rope dimension adrift on the planes. or decide that there is an interdimensional predator that is attracted to the casting of the spell and has a lure that looks like a rope, so that the wizard climbs right into its mouth

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
basically take any opportunity to gently caress with wizards. Also clerics, punish them if they pray while they aren't properly purified, punish them for not praying enough, punish them because their god is testing their devotion. gently caress all good classes

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OtspIII posted:

I'm against anything that fucks over a player without warning like this. If you don't want people casting Rope Trick just take it out of your game world, don't kill players passive aggressively for using their character options effectively. Alternately, make the Rope Trick less spammable by making it cost a non-trivial amount of gold/reagents to cast, or just making it so that there are ways for hostile creatures to gain entrance if they have a mage or something.

They have plenty of warning, their warning was the fact that they are playing a wizard

Liesmith posted:

gently caress all good classes

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
one of the funniest things to do in pet island is to get in an argument about how neutering your cat is as cruel as declawing them

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
how long did it take for someone to recommend pathfinder

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moths posted:

I'm glad that all the grognard hot-button issues exist, or there would only be that much more uninformed internet nerdrage about MY TAX DOLLARS being 'wasted' on keeping the poor healthy.

interestingly poor people waste a lot more of your tax dollars when they are unhealthy, it's exponentially cheaper to keep them healthy than to wait til they are in the ER with something really expensive to fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Desty posted:

I too am proud of being passively-aggressively racist and pretending it's a virtue. Let us listen to Rush Limbaugh at the HH Gregg at 1488 Marsden Ave if you take my meaning friend

this but I also hate gays and the poor