Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Okay, so after I fix a bunch of other poo poo in my life, I'm thinking about getting into racing. Right now I've gotten in narrowed down to:
1. A supermoto
2. A shifter cart
3. Buying another Miata and possibly doing a Spec conversion on it.

Do any of you guys race sumos competitively? If so is there a national sanctioning body to sign up with or is it mostly local clubs? How much do you need to transport to the track?

Do you steeple chase like on dirt bikes?

And most importantly: Is that poo poo as fun as it looks? Because it looks like you should be cackling like a maniac from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? I know there's a number of Sumo orgs out here in Cali, as well as some weekend races at the kart tracks.

I'm in Phoenix, but God, Allah, Buddha, and that crazy Sumerian goat lord willing, I'll be relocating to Northern California for school in the next couple of years.

I know there's a pretty active SuMo scene down in Tucson, and looking at message boards there seems to be a couple of dozen guys here in the valley that could potentially be enough to get some of the kart tracks booked for a few hours a week. I'm just trying to decide how many wheels I want to race on, what's going to be the most fun for me, and how much money I'm willing to burn to do it.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

stizu posted:

Here is the way that I look at it, option two would allow the most pure racing experience in terms of vehicle performance and stuff option 1 would be the most unique racing experience and option three is pretty cool, but you would be in a miata.
There is nothing wrong with a Miata. Only fags and little girls don't like those cars.

stizu posted:

Something to consider is that if you really want to get into racing, you will be the owner of a vehicle that is not street legal. As much as I like my DRZ, it cannot compete with the big boys. The local sumo league put the drz'z in with the novice and lower displacement bikes if I remember correctly. If you want to get into sumo racing, you will be buying something in the 450cc range. I must admit that I had the most fun on a borrowed crf100 at the track.
What do you mean by really get into racing. I'm not looking at this as a career, I don't think I have the talent to be the next Andrette or Spies, nor the wherewithall to even try to be anything more than a weekend warrior. Novice and low class sums me up pretty well. In all things.

stizu posted:

Do you mean like a hare scramble? Only if you trade out your wheels for the ones that came on the dirt version of the bike that have knobbies on them.

I've heard that the dirt portion of a SuMo race incorporates "mild" jumps. Is that more the exception than the rule? Or is that reserved for MX racing?

stizu posted:

How do you feel about being 10–20 feet in the air with a motorcycle between your legs?
That sounds loving awesome. But I'd probably wind up coughing up my testes afterward... probably totally worth it.

• Locked thread