Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
With the growing number of supermotard riders around here I figured its time we had our own thread to discuss why we are so much better than normal riders. Hopefully we can convince some of them to come over to the dark side.

A quick history of the supermotards (blatantly stolen from wikipedia):

Supermoto has its origins in the 1970s where ABC’s Wide World of Sports was the highest-rated sports show in the United States. In 1979, ABC commissioned a made-for-TV event to be included in the series, named Superbikers, whose intention was to find the ultimate all-around motorcycle racer. Superbikers was then manifested as a yearly event run at southern California's Carlsbad Raceway. The show's tarmac-and-dirt courses were intended to draw on talent from the worlds of off-road, flat-track and road-racing. World and National Championship-winning motorcycling greats such as Kenny Roberts and Jeff Ward, whose respective sports at the time were road-racing and motocross, participated in the races. The Superbikers quickly became a huge Nielsen rating contender, running until 1985, at which point ABC was forced to cancel the show due to new management and cuts; its cancellation also initiated a long sabbatical of the sport in the USA. The European racers who participated in the sport at Carlsbad, however, brought it back to Europe with them, where it quickly gained popularity in countries such as France.

Which Supermotard to get?

Plenty of companies make supermotards or bikes that are easily converted to an SM. The most common one is probably the Suzuki DRZ400SM, but there are a bunch. Heres a random selection:

Suzuki DRZ400SM

Yamaha WR250X

Husqvarna SM510

Husqvarna SM610

Aprilia SXV450

Aprilia SXV550

KTM Duke

KTM 690SMC

KTM 690SMR

So why ride a supermotard?

That
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHC8HQyKgE
seems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-1t6D5E6U
pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnQ3KYSiwA
obvious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Supermotards are really easy and fun to ride bikes that make you feel like superman in a way no other bikes can. More exactly (from BARF's newbie guide to SMs by Michaeln and XRsick50):

1) Their upright seating position is comfortable and provides great visibility. In the city you can see over traffic, and in the twisties you can see over obstructions on many corners (like tall weeds), giving you a preview of the corner coming up that you wouldn't see on a racer-tuck sportbike. On steep bumpy downhills, you don't have all that weight on the handlebars that you have on a sportbike
2) They're narrow. This makes them easy to maneuver and move around on. They're perfect for lane-splitting.
3) They're simple in design and technology. Virtually all SuperMotos are thumpers (single cylinder engines) with either liquid or air cooling. They're very low-tech, and very reliable.
4) They're light. Most street SuperMotos weigh less than 300lbs. The average sportbike is well over 400lbs.
5) They're powerful... at least in the range that is the most useful to most riders. Thumper power characteristics tend to feature lots of low and midrange torque, with horsepower ranging from 40 to 60 on street motors. That may not sound like a lot, but the power to weight ratio is quite favorable, and SuperMotos are also geared low (most top out at around 100MPH). The gearing and the light weight make the most of the engines, and from 0-80MPH they are as fast as all but the hairiest sportbikes.
6) They have powerful brakes. SuperMotos usually have a 320mm single disc with a 4 pot caliper in the front, giving the ability to do stoppies with one finger on the lever. That's a LOT of brake for the weight of the bike.
7) They have long travel suspension. SuperMotos are based on motocross and enduro bikes, and most have 10-12 inches of travel front and rear. This makes the ride very plush over nasty surfaces.
8) They're quick handling. The light weight with the 17 inch wheels and sticky tires makes SuperMotos formidable weapons in the twisties. The twistier and rougher the road, the more advantage a SuperMoto has.
9) They're relatively immune to crash damage. SuperMotos are based on dirt bikes, and dirt bikes are designed to crash well. Most of the time when a SuperMoto goes down, you just pick it back up (the engine will even probably still be running) get back on and ride away. The same minor lowside on a sportbike would result in hundreds of dollars worth of rashed plastic and broken parts.
10) They're very cheap to insure. Most insurance companies seem to consider SuperMotos (even factory ones like the KTM) to be medium displacement dirtbikes, and so they don't get penalized with exhorbitant rates like sportbikes do. Check with your agent, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Some links
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/ - A great SM specific forum. Lots of info on SMs and how to ride them.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/ - A great forum dedicated to "thumpers" (single cylinder motorcycles). Lots of good info on modifying many SM models.
http://www.supermotoschools.com/ - A great SM school.
http://www.supermotoxschool.com - Another good SM school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
For posterity sakes, my bike:

2006 DRZ400SM w/ FCR39MX carb, 3x3 Airbox, Yoshi RS-2, and a vacuum leak from somewhere I need to track down. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for good books or websites for learning SM techniques?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Vampire Panties posted:

I ride an 06 DRZ400sm, and I was curious about this carb. How hard is it to install, and what parts do I need? Also, what is the 3x3 airbox mod? I've been riding my bike bone stock for about six months now, and I'd like to step up the power some. I have to agree with everyone else though, this bike is so much fun it should be illegal.

It took me and my friend about three hours to get the carb in and ready to go. Its definitely worth the money, though keep in mind you'll need new throttle cables also. The airbox mod is 10 minutes with a knife at most, though you'll need to screw with jetting afterwards which can be a bit of a bitch.

Has anyone taken the charcoal canister off a California model DRZ? Trying to decide if its worth the trouble. I hear it cleans up throttle response and drops 4lbs.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

I didnt have to change the cables on my DRZ for the FCR, I did have to bend one of the cable mounts a bit, but it wasnt a big deal.

My cables were too long. Had way too much play even with them adjusted all the way out. The throttle was still usable, just real wobbly. I ordered the DRZ400E cables and they are perfect. I actually have an extra unused pair if someone needs them.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

Alright, I'm sure this will come off sounding a bit :downs: but why do people riding sumos always seem to drift everywhere? Are the tyres available in supermoto sizes just not sticky enough, is the surfeit of suspension travel to blame, or is it just because they can? I mean, I can understand if they're doing it just because it's fun, but you'd think that they would be a lot more predictable through the twisty stuff if they weren't breaking traction on every downshift. :confused:

Basically the idea is it lets you square off the corner a lot more, scrub off speed faster, and get on the throttle sooner. Also it looks awesome.

http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20Tech%20stories/iss2_backitin.pdf

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

dietcokefiend posted:

Ok this poo poo has made me want to reconsider buying a SV650. With the DRZ400SM what sort of range would I be looking at for an average tank of gas? Are their any supermoto bikes that can handle longer range stuff comparable with a sportbike?

I only get about 100 miles until I hit reserve, though I'm pretty much railing the thing constantly. DRZ400SM + http://www.clarkemfg.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CM&Product_Code=11409&Category_Code=suzuki will get you some range, but its really not what supermotos are about. If you wanna do long distances comfortably consider the V-Strom or SV, if you want to be, as Gr3y put it, "cackling like a maniac from start to finish" get a supermotard.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Vampire Panties posted:

I've put this tank on my 06 DRZ400SM, and I'm very satisfied. The range on the metal tank was just a little too short to do the day rides I like, so I switched it over. It was really easy to install and the plastic tank is considerably lighter then the metal tank (until you fill up the extra 3 gallons). I've taken my SM from san diego to huntington beach and that is about as far as I could ride it comfortably. The bike just isn't set up for long freeway travel.

Got any pictures? I put a small hole in my tank that I repaired with JB weld and I'm considering replacing it with the Clarke's tank, just seems to look a little goofy to me.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Unused E cables or the original SM one? I'm hoping to have my new FCR39 within a month. If it's the E cable, how much do you want for it?

Also, how do you know you have a vacuum leak? How does one tell or go about diagnosing that?

I've got unused E cables, the correct ones to use with the FCR39. They cost me $38.50 + shipping from TT, I'll let em go for say $32 shipped? Email me (link in profile) if you want em and we can work something out. Probably costing myself $32 here, but you might wanna try the FCR with your stock cables. Phat_Albert had pretty good luck using the stock ones, mine just might have been stretched out or something.

As far as the vacuum leak, its intermittent, but the idle surges sometimes, gaining and losing RPMs, and letting off throttle it occasionally takes a second or two for the RPMs to drop back down. That and the rubber vacuum hose is really beat-up and loose. I'm not 100% sure its vacuum, but its possible and an easy fix so I'm hoping.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I'm planning on taking the intro SM class with the https://www.supermotoschools.com on April 20th in Sacramento, if anyone else was thinking about taking one. Should be fun.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

From what I've read the Aprilia SXVs are a maintenance nightmare but some people do report the 550 going up to 140 mph. Haven't done too much research on the others but I think the KTM 690 is what I'd be looking for if I had the money to spend.

If I were a rich man I'd probably pickup a Husqvarna SM610 myself. Seems like a good balance between lightweight and oh-poo poo power.

Spiffness posted:

Confirmed: DRZ's hold up pretty good to being 12 oclocked. Shift lever and tail light took 85% percent of the damage.

Sounds like you did the exact same thing I did, cept I bent my foot peg instead of breaking a lever.

Its the source of my taillight-held-together-by-scotch-tape mod:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
My major worry with converting a dirt bike would be the brakes. Dirt bike brakes aren't really made for the level of pressure required to stop a bike on the street. Dirt gives much much sooner.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jazzzzz posted:

I thought most conversions involved a larger disc and potentially a bigger caliper to go with it - or are you saying the master cylinder on your average dirt bike isn't enough for the street?

I was referring more to the people talking about slapping street tires on their dirt bike's current 21" rims.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ReelBigLizard posted:

Can anyone explain to me how a slipper clutch makes backing it in easier? I'm just curious.

I believe it makes it so you can just pop the clutch after downshifting to break loose the bad end as opposed to needing to let it out smoothly.

Super cool hour long supermoto movie I found on supermotojunkie.com and threw up on google video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6683072074777555003

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

The one thing I noticed that was completely different was when I sat on the DRZ the suspension was super soft. Like, it traveled almost 4-6 if not more when I sat on it. The duc didn't really move at all. I'm just wondering if it was the floor model DRZ they had or if the suspension is really that soft.

6 inches seems a bit extreme, the DRZ you sat on probably needs its suspension adjusted a bit, but all SMs have a bunch of suspension travel. The Ducati isn't comparable to real supermotos. Its really more of a naked standard than an SM, it just happens to look like one. I wouldn't want to try jumping a Hypermotard, or off roading it, or riding down stairs etc, but stuff like that is par for the course for SMs. If what you are looking for is a cheap version of the Hypermotard, you shouldn't be looking at a DRZ.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2009

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
At the request of Z3n, quick review of the supermoto class I took the other week.

I took the newbie class with http://www.supermotoschools.com at the Prarie City kart track outside Sacramento. Cost was $315 which included the bike rental (Honda 230CRF). There were two instructors and four students which worked out great.

Instruction format was pretty fluid, we started around 10AM walking the track with Brok pointing out different things to keep in mind while riding. After that we were pretty consistently on the bike, with a whole bunch of short breaks to get out of the heat (was 100 degrees that day).

Before lunch we did a few drills to practice certain things like correctly weighing the outside peg, braking, turning the bike in, and body position. The small class size was nice, got a lot of one on one time to get pointers and stuff.

After lunch was pretty much free track time with lots of opportunities to talk to Brok and Seth about what I needed to work on. They let us ride until we wore ourselves out. We switched up the track layout a couple times and even got to ride it backwards. Brok had a DRZ there that he let us try on the track also. Hilariously fast compared to the little 230s. By around 4:30 I could barely walk and called it a day.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the class and the instructors. The only complaint I've got is the lack of totally awesome pictures of me, but thats my own fault for not bringing a camera. Luckily Brok took a few of me. I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable on the DRZ now thanks to the class. Definitely need to get out to some more track days and get better so I can take the advanced class.

And of course pictures:

Click here for the full 1496x900 image.

Click here for the full 1641x1137 image.

Click here for the full 1550x1010 image.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

jdonz posted:

Looks like a blast. I'll have to check out what is available in Arizona. What do you normally ride? I realize you were on a track but could you see yourself commuting on a supermoto (assuming you don't already)?

My usual ride is a DRZ which I commute to work on regularly. Its all surface streets and 50mph roads which its perfect for.

And yes you should do the 15th class z3n. 'Course then you'll have to buy an SM and its all over.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I don't think I can do the 15th class, unfortunantly.

However, they offer personal classes for 1200$ for up to 6 people, and I'm pretty sure I could get 6 people together to go without any issues. That's in Sac though, and I'm not sure how much it'd be for infineon. Either way, I've got a couple of people interested already.

I'd definitely be interested in doing another class with them if you put one together. Keep me on the short list. Contact info's in my profile.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!

(Bit late I know).

When I sold my CBR and got my DRZ, the girlfriend was all for it because I convinced her it was safer as it was so much slower. Course then I started doing this regularly and she realized the truth. But by then I already owned the bike.

Click here for the full 1024x682 image.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I need to figure out some way to let it breathe better without making it super loud.

No offense, and I might be misunderstanding you, but if you're thought process is "I don't want my supermoto to be too annoying to other people" you're really doing it wrong.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Don't buy a new DRZ. They are bullet proof and any used one that runs will most likely continue doing so for a long time. You can also usually find them with a lot of the go fast bits already done for you.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
People do maintenance on their DRZ?

I think I adjusted my chain once or twice since I got mine... Oh yeah, I taped my tail light back together after I 12 o'clocked it, I guess that counts as maintenance sort of.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I came very very close last night jumping speed bumps, got a little carried away on the throttle and up it went.

Yeah thats basically what I did. Had just installed the FCR39 carb the night before and gave it my usual "gun it from the light with a little bit of wheelie action" amount of throttle, which became "toss motorcycle out from beneath me into the middle of the intersection in front of 200 cars during rush hour traffic" amount of throttle with the new carb. Woops.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

Someone else did the honors for me. Got to watch it go down. Was pretty sweet.

Dizzy's first wreck was actually not me either. Was out riding on a tiny tiny goat trail with my friend Matt shortly after I bought her. The road had lots of great places you could get air on the thing. I let Matt give it a go cause he was on an R6 which was not nearly as comfortable to jump.

One of the better jumps was followed very shortly after by a quick left hander. Being on the R6, I was a bit behind Matt, so I see him go over the ridge, catch air, then disappear from view. Shortly after I crest it myself to see him lying in the grass a good 10 feet beyond my bike. He had jumped too far, wasn't able to make the left, caught the grassy lip along side the road, and got thrown clear over the handle bars.

Only permanent damage to the bike was a small dent in the exhaust, and a whole lot of character adding scratches. Also twisted the handle bars out of alignment but we fixed that by his holding the bars while I kicked the hell out of the front tire until they were straight again.

That would be the day I fell in love with SMs.

I can't find the exact jump he crashed on but this is the start of the goat trail we were riding:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,172.97,,0,6.72

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 5, 2010

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

- high sided again by brother at track, shifter punctured through case gaurd causing small leak. Resealed in the garage with some goop, no issues 3k miles later.

Had this one happen too, though I did it dicking around in a parking lot trying to slide out the backend one morning before work. Was a really small hole so I just covered it with some duct tape (seriously, keep a roll of this in the DRZ's little tail bag, you can fix anything on the bike with it), rode the 1/4 to work and filled the hole with some metal repair putty in my work's parking lot.

Basically everytime I see a non-scatched/scarred DRZ I'm secretly judging the person in my head for obviously not having enough fun.

Phat_Albert posted:

Seriously, I'm proclaiming this right now. The DRZ is the best street supermoto you can buy. Period.

Yes, you can buy things with more power or better suspension or whatever, but NOTHING can touch the DRZ in day-to-day livability, and absolute bomb-proofness, which, in the end is what matters to 99% of people.

Truth.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2010

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jharkov posted:

The bike is finally complete!

2000 DRZ400E with a heavy off-road background as you can see on the engine & frame :P

RM250 Front end, revalved & sprung for the DRZ.
Vapour computer
Stainless steel front brake line
Beringer 4 piston caliper & 310MM disc.
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with Bridgestone tyres
Ohlins rear shock, extended travel to E specification & revalved/sprung.
Acerbis black plastics
Trailtech X-2 Halogen headlight
Supermoto front fender
Smoke lens Edge tail light & LED indicators
Renthal fatbars
15/40 gearing, I switch to 13/44 for my off-road wheelset.

It just feels amazing with this suspension, even on the streets. Can't wait to try it off-road.

That thing is ugly as hell, ie perfect. I love it.

Where'd you pick up the suspension pieces, and did you do the revalving/respringing yourself? Cost? Trying to decide if I want to divert my savings deposits for a couple months...

Z3n posted:

That's a great site, they're gonna suck some money out of my wallet. :sigh:

They are awesome guys. After UPS hosed up and lost my order they totally helped me out and mailed the replacement with 2 day shipping and a free tshirt.

Shanky posted:

Videos like that make me wish I was buying a motard instead of a house.

You know if your wife ever leaves you she probably won't try and take a biek and it'll be a lot easier to pickup the ladies with a motorcycle...

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 23, 2010

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Test ride video didn't involve wheelieing it at every possibility. Would not recommend.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Man_of_Teflon posted:

My new DRZ has the 3x3 mod but was otherwise returned to stock by the PO. I'm considering doing an exhaust and a jet kit. I'm not really hurting for power at this point as this is my first bike - I'd just like something that sounds better than the stock pipe.

Do I have options other than MRD/SSW (seems like clearly the best performance and price, but I'm a little worried about the noise doing all city driving as I hear it's ridiculously loud) or just leaving it stock? I've been looking at an FMF Q4 slip-on instead. Is that really going to be that much quieter than the MRD/SSW while still sounding badass, or should I just stick with the stock system if I'm at all worried about noise?

Will that pipe, as a slip-on, do anything at all for performance or would I be just blowing all my money on the sound? Should I still bother getting a jet kit with the slip-on?

Don't buy a slipon for the DRZ if you buy a pipe at all. The stock headers are hilariously restrictive, its one of the few bikes where switching out the full exhaust system can make a noticable difference. The slipon will do nothing but make your bike sound louder, and doesn't save that much money comparatively. Yoshimura also makes a few ok exhausts for the DRZ, though the MRD/SSW is supposed to be the best.

Also, price per performance the FCR-39 carb is a much better deal.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

I've always loved this picture because its so drat obvious dude is crashing and just managed to push it back up with his leg. His body language screams "OOOOH FUUUUUUCK".

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

That's what I'm doing right now...I don't regret it. :v:

Except, of course, that "cheap UJM" means "Streetfightered ZX9R", but that's splitting hairs :D

Also it's super easy to back it in when the engine is off.

Someone is totally biting my DRZ + streetfightered 9/10th-a-liter bike style. :colbert:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The coworker/friend of mine who bought a 1198S as his second bike after 8 months riding a Bandit 600 had been talking about getting a supermoto recently. I'm constantly talking them up to anyone who would listen and got really excited when he seemed interested. Came into my office today to discuss them a bit more.

:(Hes going to buy a Hypermotard 796.:(

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Armacham posted:

MSR makes a 1 inch longer shifter. RMATV has it for 19.99+ Shipping http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...8#vehicleSelect

i had the same problem as you on my KLR, i couldn't shift in MX boots at all no matter how I adjused the stock lever, so I had to get the longer shifter

Have this one also after I snapped the OEM one being an idiot. Makes shifting in my SM boots a hell of a lot easier.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

That video should be GIF'ed and made into the background of Cycle Asylum

Here ya go.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
God dammit I hate you 690 buying jerks. I'm seriously considering selling off the 929 and the DRZ and picking one up now. My girlfriend is going to murder me.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Be careful with the foot out thing also. If you're foot catches on something its a great way to break an ankle.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

You aren't dragging your foot, you are just hovering your heel a few inches above the pavement. Toes up. If you are hitting crap with your feet your are choosing a terrible place to stick your leg out.

Yeah, thats what I was saying, though not as clearly.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Christoff posted:

At any rate. I'm about to take the plunge on the following.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/3/19731/ITEM/Alpinestars-Tech-7-Supermoto-Boots.aspx

I own these boots and they are the most awesome thing ever. Totally worth the money. I absolutely love them.

Also, I know you still aren't planning on buying pants. I crashed yesterday completely destroying both my overpants and the jeans I had on underneath. My left leg is all kinds of in pain now. I'd hate to see where I'd be wearing just jeans, most likely a hospital. If you don't buy some real loving protective pants I'm going to follow you around the forum harassing you until I shame you into it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

You alright?

I really want a set of tech 7s.

Just put a post in the crash thread. Basically I'm an idiot but ok otherwise.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

Buying Tech 7's for commuting would be total overkill, and offroad boots are extremely awkward to walk in. Pop down to the store and try a pair on.

This is true if you need to walk in them. They are extremely beefy and you feel like a badass wearing them which is fun. I wear mine any time I'm on the DRZ including going to work where I'll put on a pair of shoes and they are never tiring on the bike. No really protective boots are particularly comfortable to walk around in through.

And Christoff, kneepads are going to protect your rear end/hips from sliding down the road. My overpants were completely destroyed on the sides of my legs. My hip bone would be visible had I been in jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7eyeLFqco

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

In my mind its always more fun to build performance than just outright buy it. I realize that the money I spend building bikes up could have just bought the better bike right off the bat, but its just not as fun.

Its not monetarily sound, but dammit if it isnt fun as hell.

As someone who agrees with you on this, I will point out the downside and reason I haven't posted round here recently. Being mid-upgrade then suddenly getting busy as hell with other things == no loving motorcycle to ride for over a month oh god someone please lend me a scooter or something before I do something stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Symphoric posted:

Welp, after test riding both a Husky 610sm and the new 630, I've decided to just keep my DRZ. Sure, the Huskies were a little bit faster, lighter, better, but there's just some unexplainable feeling that made me wish I was back on the DRZ the whole time I was riding them. Almost like they were too serious/nice to gently caress around on without feeling guilty about it, and that's exactly what I DON'T want a supermoto to feel like.

Maybe someday I'll take a step up to a KTM 690 or something, but til then I walked away more satisfied with the little 'zuki than ever.

If you're getting a little antsy for that "new bike feeling" but still love your DRZ, might I recommend upgrading to the FCR39MX carb? Its really easy to put in, not that expensive esp if you buy used, and makes the bike feel completely different in all good ways without ruining the "easiest bike to ride ever"ness of the DRZ. Just don't break the carb slide and then spend the next 6 months trying to find the vacuum leak making the bike run like poo poo like I did.

• Locked thread