Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nope, nothing at all to suggest that i'm aware of that there will ever be a Asherons Call 3. Although Turbine is broken up into seperate teams for each of their 3 current MMORPGs, their biggest focus is Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Yes LOTRO is pretty good maybe one day they'll make enough money to consider an AC3. I can dream I guess.

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008

Bonar Law posted:

I was on Darktide about a year ago for a few months after taking a break for 5~ years. Got a mage to level 140~...I just got tired of the current player base and 24/7/365 macroing. Seriously, the VN Board Warrior Darktide population (98% of the players) is so painfully sad to be on the same server with. They are worth harassing for kicks but it feels like they're the only people that play Darktide now and it's somewhat depressing. Darktide was successful because there were antis, pks, and all sorts of neutrals...being in a particular monarchy meant something and provided a player environment I haven't seen since.
Yep... Darktide's current population is sad, did you know if you don't kill someone of a different monarchy and fight alongside them, your opponents call you a peacebear? How ironic is that, considering 99% of the players on there today are from solclaim. What is it about that server that causes the players from it to have such ridiculously huge egos when it comes to PvP? Kill them with a group of people and they call you out for a 1v1 for MMDs, deny it and you're a pussy. I guess they're not used to the harsh environment of Darktide, I bet DT would be better if all those guys who loved their PKLite would've stayed on their white worlds.

There are no more politics, no more town ownership, and everyone is an RPK. The people who still play it are only around for the PvP, that's all that matters to them, mindless repetitive killing and bragging about their 1v1 skill.

So basically I'm saying all the trash on Darktide (99% of the players) has migrated from white worlds. Specifically Solclaim.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Can't this game die already? I just got over my "10 years since I played this" milestone and the last time I was here it was a laughable caricature of a game.

10 years of updates seems fun for a week but the laughable engine (wall running anyone?) and crap graphics mean no fun.

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008

Rapacity posted:

Can't this game die already? I just got over my "10 years since I played this" milestone and the last time I was here it was a laughable caricature of a game.

10 years of updates seems fun for a week but the laughable engine (wall running anyone?) and crap graphics mean no fun.
Who cares about the graphics? Can't you at least insult it because the remaining community is absolute trash and the patches have turned it into a completely different game with much more focus on grinding for items?

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

AC was a ton of fun when I played it, and I tried going back a few times, and it just wasn't the same. I played the free trial a couple years back and after playing for two days without seeing another person except in Marketplace I gave up.

I loved the lore and the world of the game, though. It took me like 3 years to hit level 50, because I would get so bored of grinding that I'd explore for days. It was actually fun to do that, unlike other MMOs I've played, because you would actually come across things you didn't expect.

Has any other game had monthly updates as big as AC did? It seemed like every month they were adding as much interesting new stuff as the way less frequent patches in WoW do. I remember in the old days it would actually take most of the month for people to find/finish everything in the patch, which was awesome. Quests that didn't hold your hand from start to finish is something I haven't seen in any other MMO.

Hunting in the Lugian Citadel is one of my fondest video game memories, probably. The big room where the Lithos(?) lugians jumped off the ledge was awesome. It actually felt like you were working with other people to survive when you stood in that hallway before the room and got charged by monsters. It probably helped that I was 11 or 12, but it was pretty intense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turbine should just make the game free like D&D:O, they certainly pull in enough subscribers from LOTRO anyways. Most of the LOTRO servers are overcrowded, so Turbine I assume is doing well.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Oh hey, I had forgotten that I made this thread.

In related news, I just tried to read the Asheron's Call VN boards and physically gagged.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

OneTwentySix posted:

I recently resubscribed, and out of curiosity wanted to see if there was an AC thread, and here it is....

I remember all of these things as well, and like you I've never been able to get the same feeling with any new MMOs as I did with AC. I think it may be because some of the things we are so nostalgic about are now shunned in the new games, and I am not very hopeful that anything new will ever be able to capture that combination of challenge and uncertainty again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HargBlarg posted:

I remember all of these things as well, and like you I've never been able to get the same feeling with any new MMOs as I did with AC. I think it may be because some of the things we are so nostalgic about are now shunned in the new games, and I am not very hopeful that anything new will ever be able to capture that combination of challenge and uncertainty again.

There are new MMOs that try to do it, but they always end up really awful because of bugs and not attracting enough players.

Sairoth
Jul 11, 2006
Maybe I'm just having better luck? Or just enjoy playing by myself? I'm not really sure. I've started a free trial account, and I'm rather enjoying my UA character again, trying to get my old account resub'd so I can play my level 90+ and such. It's pretty easy to start out if you go to the right people. I play on Verdantine, and it's always been pretty decent.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
For anyone who has been considering playing this game again the 10th anniversary patch will be coming out later today. New features will include gearcrafting, two handed melee weapons, and a quest journal.

Release notes are here: http://ac.turbine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=514-october-2009-release-notes&catid=75-2009&Itemid=68

Hopefully this patch will breath some life into the game. There were 325 people on Darktide tonight which is the most I have seen in the past few months.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Haha, it was already hilarious watching someone wield an enormous Lugian weapon with one hand and a tower shield with the other

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
A quest journal in AC. gently caress me that's terrible.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Blacknose posted:

A quest journal in AC. gently caress me that's terrible.

Yeah but it's literally a ingame book that doesn't have burden, you have to write everything in there yourself. It just gives you some tabs to work with.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

VTNewb posted:

Yeah but it's literally a ingame book that doesn't have burden, you have to write everything in there yourself. It just gives you some tabs to work with.

I played the game for around 2 years + and don't even remember doing quests.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Throwdown posted:

I worked on the game for 3+ years and I barely remember there being quests!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Throwdown posted:

Well I guess I'm a weirdo then, I loved the quests.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I liked how there was random story poo poo just laying around, like the books and crap. Man, AC blew my mind so hard, it was like this REAL VIRTUAL WORLD that TRANSPORTED ME to a MAGICAL FANTASY LAND. The sense of exploration was nuts.

Jaime
Apr 27, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I liked how you could run in one direction for a long time. Being used to square zones in EQ this was just baffling.

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis
What if AC had been the more popular MMO back when it was released in EQ days? I honestly think the entire genre of MMO would be vastly different today. There would be more emphasis on speed and versatility in players rather than specific roles and magic types per class. I loved the openness of AC.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Well the fact that it didn't catch on indicates that those of us who prefer a big, relatively seamless world to the theme park blandness of most recent MMOs are an insignificant minority.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Throwdown posted:

You don't remember turning in green triangles for bandages? Noob. :smug:

\/\/\/ Probably the Olthoi pincer thing.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 28, 2009

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I remember sporting pre-patch GSK :smug:
Actually, I take that back. When the first expansion came out there was that one quest that got you massive amounts of XP, I can't remember what it was though. Ugh, time to hit thejackcat.com!

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

I feel like a big part of AC's smaller subscriber numbers was its setting. UO was an established franchise. EQ was the recognizable D&D world with orcs and dwarves and elves. AC's only playable race was humans, and it had banderlings, tumeroks, and lugians. I always liked AC's setting because it felt significantly more grounded than EQ. You were humans exploring an alien world, and that's an easy concept to immerse myself in.

If AC had won the 3 way battle with UO and EQ it would have been originality winning out over what is safe and traditional. Game design overall has moved towards tighter, more streamlined gameplay over the past 10 years, so I can't even imagine what the successors to AC would have been like. Hell, Turbine themselves didn't even copy AC for AC 2.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Throwdown posted:

I remember sporting pre-patch GSK :smug:
Actually, I take that back. When the first expansion came out there was that one quest that got you massive amounts of XP, I can't remember what it was though. Ugh, time to hit thejackcat.com!

Olthoi Queen? We used to make that run a lot and yielded great xp at the time. Of course later it was Tuskers. The Bobo run could really make good xp as well.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I just got an email from Turbine letting me know the 10 year anniversary's coming up. Seriously? Ten years?

If I had a connection that would let me play and not awful wi-fi, I'd hop on in no time at all. Dammit.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

mune posted:

I just got an email from Turbine letting me know the 10 year anniversary's coming up. Seriously? Ten years?

If I had a connection that would let me play and not awful wi-fi, I'd hop on in no time at all. Dammit.

Wait... you can't play because of your wi-fi. poo poo dude I played this on a 28.8 modem back in the day...

mune
Sep 23, 2006

TheFace posted:

Wait... you can't play because of your wi-fi. poo poo dude I played this on a 28.8 modem back in the day...

Yeah, I don't know. It just doesn't work when playing online games. It works, but it's so slow and laggy that it doesn't really matter. My latency is routinely over 1000ms. I really, really wish it did work, because then I'd be on this game like white on rice.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Got the email about the 10th anniversary. I'm considering taking out my old character just to tour the towns and quit in the free 2 weeks. I was on Morningthaw.

My olde Hoary Mattlekar robe and other cool poo poo over the years belongs to whoever bought up my house though. :smith:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 5, 2009

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The towns are all sadly empty :(

You can get Hoary robes pretty easy now but the original ones sell for a lot more. Makes me glad I stole 5 or so of the things back in the day when they used to go for $500 on ebay (although, stupidly, I didn't ebay them).

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Blacknose posted:

You can get Hoary robes pretty easy now but the original ones sell for a lot more. Makes me glad I stole 5 or so of the things back in the day when they used to go for $500 on ebay (although, stupidly, I didn't ebay them).

Original ones? What do they look like now? I had a white and gold one on each of my characters.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

They look the same on you char but have a slightly different icon.

Awaken Mustakrakish
Jul 23, 2005

Hey, dont be sad little girl. One day your gonna grow up and your gonna be big. Oh wait never mind, sorry.
I want to try this again for shits and giggles, but I can't get past the two loading bars.

Acclient.exe has encountered a problem.

Any current players have a clue?

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
To my knowledge there was a lot of errors with some anti virus apps, could also be an issue with ports etc.

Check this out, might help: http://ac.turbine.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=460

Awaken Mustakrakish
Jul 23, 2005

Hey, dont be sad little girl. One day your gonna grow up and your gonna be big. Oh wait never mind, sorry.
Removed AVG and run straight through a modem.

Its not that I can't patch, the bars fill, but after that it just gives me a no info .exe crash

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Heran Bago posted:

Got the email about the 10th anniversary. I'm considering taking out my old character just to tour the towns and quit in the free 2 weeks. I was on Morningthaw.

My olde Hoary Mattlekar robe and other cool poo poo over the years belongs to whoever bought up my house though. :smith:

Morningthaw represent.

My Guild under Crunchyfrog was a pretty good group I just sorta fell into and stuck with for my entire career. It was a very tight knit group. I had possibly the most generous patron on earth. He'd always randomly call me to the mansion so he could drop new goodies on me.
The greatest day ever was when he handed me my scintillating gem after I'd been scrounging for weeks trying to get one. He asked to take a look at my set once the gems were traded and wrote me a nice little inscription on them.

We once held the entire focusing stone dungeon clear for a weekend so the entire server could get chars of almost any level get it when it was the goto casting item

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Blacknose posted:

Oh wow, I forgot about how they didn't retroactively change items, so you could have some pre-nerf poo poo. Man that was weird. Even at the time that seemed crazy.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Daaaayum... AC was the last MMO I ever really played extensively and enjoyed..
my final character was a level 90 creature mage on Darktide when I quit back in... 2003 or so. Best part was the player-shaped politics and clans actually having to actively defend their territories.

I was always in really tiny <10 man splinter clans that'd hold maybe 1 lifestone and a peddler at any given time and drop in on PK vs. Anti battles just killing whoever. They'll never make a game like AC again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I resubbed for the free trial, new account obviously, and am having fun all by myself... But wanting more. A goon monarchy would be neat, are any of the DTers here active? I was always a carebear, but I'd be interested in going PK with goons.

• Locked thread