Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Skateboarding isn't just for 12 year old kids in California, it's a full body workout that is just as rewarding (although not as profitable for the professionals) as any other sport out there.

Skateboarding isn't limited to jumping down stairs on a seven and a half inch board, or tre-flipping your way to eternity in a Vons parking lot. There are several types of skateboarding, not limited to:

Longboarding - Cruising down mountains at ridiculous speeds, or rolling across a college campus with your collar popped sporting Kanye shades and flip flops.

Pool/Transition Skating - Ripping backyard or skatepark pools, vert ramps, ghetto quarter pipes you built from trash, etc.

Street Skating - This is what the current mainstream style of skating is mostly about, rails, gaps, ledges and creativity.

Looking for other amazing skateboard videos? Check out:

• Fully Flared
  • Chlorine
  • Future Primitive

Best place to buy a board?

Your local skateshop. Do your part and support the little guys. Skateboarding isn't the corporate monster it used to be in the late 80's to mid 90's, when you buy a board from a local shop you're supporting local skate culture.

Don't have a local skateshop to buy a board from? Check out fellow goon Rygar's online shop.

What type of board should I buy?

It doesn't loving matter, just ride. Seriously, just loving ride a skateboard. Don't be a spergy gearhead, this sport was started by badass motherfuckers nailing skates to loving planks.

With that out of the way.... there are so many choices out there it can be a little intimidating, and no they're really not all the same. It does depend on the type of riding you plan on doing. You shouldn't let the 16 year old at the shop talk you into a 7.75" board if you're a big dude. If you describe what you're looking for in this thread someone will be able to help you out, regardless of the type of riding you're into.

I've been skating on and off for my entire life, I'm not professional, and I'm not really that great - but I do know a lot about pretty much every type of skating out there. Use this thread to discuss equipment, skate spots, trick tips or just to spread the stoke.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remistus
Sep 3, 2003

pink elephants
Yeah I just got into skateboarding recently despite being way too old for it. I just bought this deck:

with a set of independent trucks (just plain silver ones) and spitfire wheels. The people at the local shop I got it all from were all pretty awesome.

Anyway I've been working on ollieing and managed to already tear the skin off my arm and right hand. Looking forward to continuing breaking myself.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

HoboNinja posted:

with a set of independent trucks (just plain silver ones)

That's the way to do it. Independent are unparalleled.

I've been skateboarding for about ten years now, so I love this thread already!

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Another ten year skater here, I work at a small shop in town.

This is my latest project.

Powell made these wicked re-issue boards, so I grabbed one and threw some Indy 169's (10 frigging inches across) on it and some 60 wheels.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
I mostly just ride, don't (read: can't) really do tricks. I prefer small decks, small wheels, quick bearings and loose trucks. I currently have a 7.5" Girl deck with Tensor trucks. 50mm Autobahn Wheels came stock with Autobahn Abec-5s in them. The bearings are actually pretty smooth for stock.

Love my set up and try to ride everyday. Who knows, I might even learn to kickflip someday.

quick edit: best shop in Northern California is Bill's Wheels in Santa Cruz. Totally worth the trip if you live anywhere near it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

quick edit: best shop in Northern California is Bill's Wheels in Santa Cruz. Totally worth the trip if you live anywhere near it.

I live in Santa Cruz (Aptos, actually) and can vouch for this statement.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Battle at the Berrics was pretty good,

http://www.theberrics.com/batb.php

Killer Table Leg
May 13, 2004

To be successful you have to be confident and not believe in luck.
I just bought That's It, That's All on bluray, which is a super hi definition snowboard video, are there any awesome skate videos in bluray? If not what are some good skate videos to watch?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Killer Table Leg posted:

I just bought That's It, That's All on bluray, which is a super hi definition snowboard video, are there any awesome skate videos in bluray? If not what are some good skate videos to watch?

Fully Flared was/is the biggest skateboard video release of the last few years.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

I just got into skating again after not touching a board for five years. I bought a Real deck last month (with an awesome Ouija graphic but that's mostly gone now), 56mms, and my old Grind King 6's. I was never that good years ago, but I was also a teenager and afraid to really try anything that could harm me. Now though, that risk is invigorating and it makes skateboarding such a high.

I'd heard that lighter trucks and wheels will help your tricks but I sort of always dismissed it as an excuse people use, tonight though I swapped my 56mms for 50s and the difference was incredible.

As the OP mentioned, it's a great full body workout; it gets my heart racing like nothing else. Sitting at work, the question in the back of my mind all day is 'wonder what I'll land tonight?' It's all about baby steps, and each baby step feels like a major accomplishment. There's such a reward factor to keeping at it.

Now that I'm done gushing about the sport: I'm looking to put together a deck intended only for cruising, as I don't want to switch my wheels everytime I have a different agenda. What's a great set of cruising trucks ideally $40 or below? My cruising deck is 8.12" w/ 56mm wheels.

Dr. Jack Griffin fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 28, 2009

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
i'm 21 now and used to skate when i was 16 and 17. I stopped for a while and forgot about it but just recently picked up a new board and some DC shoes. I figured it'l be something fun to do when the warm weather comes back. I can still ollie and pop shuv-it real easily, and i pulled a tail-slide off the other day. Havn't landed a kickflip again yet but have come close. I love the feeling of accomplishment you have when you land something.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bona Weiss posted:

What's a great set of cruising trucks ideally $40 or below? My cruising deck is 8.12" w/ 56mm wheels.

Any trucks will work out well for cruising, the real determining factor for your ride is the quality of the bushings you use. I ride Independent trucks almost exclusively, but I hate their stock bushings - I always replace them with a set of Bones Medium's - you can get a set from any skate shop. Khiro also makes great bushings, so does this really small company called Venom.

For a cruising deck I'd go with something relatively soft. Khiro makes a bushing kit that comes with like 6 different pairs of bushings of varied hardnesses - it's great for helping fine tune your ride, gives you a lot of room for experimentation.

There are trucks out there made specifically for carving, one is made by a company called Siesmic - they've got crazy springs and poo poo. I generally stay away from gimmicky things like that, but I've read some really positive reviews on them. They're also a bit more pricey than 40 bucks.

My current park board is a 8.2" Merde Deck, Indy Trucks with Bones Medium bushings, Rockin' Rons 56mm 101a Black Hole wheels and Rockin' Rons bearings.

My cruiser is a tiny Gravity deck with Tracker Darts and Rainskates 59mm 85a Orange Tsunami wheels.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

I ride Independent trucks almost exclusively, but I hate their stock bushings - I always replace them with a set of Bones Medium's - you can get a set from any skate shop. Khiro also makes great bushings, so does this really small company called Venom.
Thanks for all the help! Say, do you know anything about Grind King trucks? I seem to be the only person I know with a set of G6's, and they're notoriously picky about the bushings that will fit in them. I'd love to try the Bones Hardcore but my local skateshop says they won't fit. My stock Grind Kings bushings blew out, I have Do-Dos in there now but they could be better and they spill over the sides, and I'm about to try some 'Grind King Killer Kush' but I don't know and can't find anything about them.

I am however about to order some Indy 139's and Khiros for my cruiser based on your suggestions. Thanks again!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZtmrunVXs4 Best skate video ever. If you don't enjoy this then you suck.

I used to skate a ton but being fat+tall ruined me. I never really did tricks but it was still a huge part of my youth.

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth
Another skateboarding goon chiming in.

Skateboarded off and on most of my life and can help with any questions anyone has. I'm living on a college campus now and it's a lot harder to find time to skate (:cop::argh:) and the nearest free skate park is a good hour drive. Nonetheless, I don't see myself stopping anytime soon since it's just that much fun and rewarding.

edit: This thread has caused me to find this nostalgic gem on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MO3k5QDYgs anyone who remembers this will surely laugh their rear end off)

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bona Weiss posted:

...do you know anything about Grind King trucks?

My pleasure dude, always happy to help.

..sadly I really don't know much about them. I loved them back in the day though... are they still as light as I remember? It's also thousand times easier to carry around an allen wrench than a typical skate tool.

You could always try and whittle a set of bushings down with a razor so that they fit better, but that's a whole lot of work.

IntoTheNihil posted:

...used to skate a ton but being fat+tall ruined me.

Come on dude, that's no excuse! Checkout Bulldog Skates, they make all sorts of 10" boards and giant wheels for the big dudes. They're a bit pricey, but well worth it.

No one is too tall, fat or old to skateboard, and anyone who says otherwise is full of poo poo in my opinion. You don't have to kickflip to have fun, no flip trick in this world beats the feeling of carving up a bowl at high speed. I skate with some self described hambeasts that carve with the best of em'.

Great video link, Daewon has always been one of my top five favorite skaters of all time.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 25, 2009

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

My pleasure dude, always happy to help.

..sadly I really don't know much about them. I loved them back in the day though... are they still as light as I remember? It's also thousand times easier to carry around an allen wrench than a typical skate tool.

You could always try and whittle a set of bushings down with a razor so that they fit better, but that's a whole lot of work.
My Grind Kings are from around '99, they were used for 10 years on and off which says something about their durability. They're also as light as a feather!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Angry Justin posted:

Another ten year skater here, I work at a small shop in town.

This is my latest project.

Powell made these wicked re-issue boards, so I grabbed one and threw some Indy 169's (10 frigging inches across) on it and some 60 wheels.

this is so goddamn sick

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

The broken bones posted:

this is so goddamn sick

Took it for a rip the first time tonight at the plaza and it is ridiculous dude. Powerslides over the brick hip feel 80's gnarly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

donJonSwan posted:

Come on dude, that's no excuse! Checkout Bulldog Skates, they make all sorts of 10" boards and giant wheels for the big dudes. They're a bit pricey, but well worth it.

No one is too tall, fat or old to skateboard, and anyone who says otherwise is full of poo poo in my opinion. You don't have to kickflip to have fun, no flip trick in this world beats the feeling of carving up a bowl at high speed. I skate with some self described hambeasts that carve with the best of em'.

Great video link, Daewon has always been one of my top five favorite skaters of all time.

Meh, I can't even nearly STAND on a board anymore. Maybe i'll give it a shot again.

Yeah Daewon is excellent. Haslam is probably my favorite.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Haslam is a badass for sure, he's in the Globe - Skate and Create video which is loving awesome. His wallride to polejam in that video is insane.

I love all the Skate and Create videos, the premise is four teams of five riders have nine days in a warehouse to create something unique. Each team did an amazing job.

DVS won the little competition, but all the videos are still up on the Transworld site.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/2008/08/15/tws-skate-create-globe/

It's sort of like Jeff King's Built to Shred show (which is up on Hulu, and equally loving rad), totally reminds me of being a kid and building horrible, dangerous ramps out of scrap wood and whatever other poo poo we found lying around.

Matthew Billings
Jun 18, 2005

by The Finn
No youth is complete without having built sketchy boxes and ramps, I remember using plastic piping with wax on it just to see if I'd get pitched or if it'd grind.

Fortunately I had tensors so when I noseground it I went about half a foot before getting pitched instead of just getting thrown. I miss being a teenager sometimes, now I have to go skate though so win!

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I really wish there was a park or something nearby. I wanna skate a mini again, it's been years ._.

I need a new setup too. Still have a 'young ones' flip deck, it's ridiculously small... And my wheels are so worn down, they're like 22mm now haha. My trucks are fine but I'd rather change my entire setup ... I also need some shoes. And a job to afford all this...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've tried very hard to teach myself to skate but I can never go forward more than a few feet before falling off.

Matthew Billings
Jun 18, 2005

by The Finn
you're learning one of the most important things you need to know when skating, if that's the case: falling down repeatedly and ideally, not getting hurt.

LeeHam
Nov 6, 2005
Six Inch Screws
Aussie Goon here, specifically Gold Coast area. Yeah been skating mainly long boards for bombing hills and cruising around town, but im trying to get into the trick aspects of skateboarding. So if anyway just wants to hangout and skate feel free to PM me.

I think i might make a post a bit later with my decks. and some photo's...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Matthew Billings posted:

you're learning one of the most important things you need to know when skating, if that's the case: falling down repeatedly and ideally, not getting hurt.

Mostly unhurt. I didn't need that skin on my palm anyway.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

Rick posted:

Mostly unhurt. I didn't need that skin on my palm anyway.
Ooh, seriously - try not to do this. Landing on your hands is how you break wrists. Try to tuck your arms in to absorb impact with your shoulder and roll. Recently I had to throw my hands out to catch myself on some steps; the pain just shot up my arms and into my spine. Then I remembered why you don't do that.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Not to mention bruised palms, those things last for weeks.

I've managed to hit the skatepark nearly every day this week, I only missed Tuesday. It feels loving great to get some exercise in before work, and being outside rolling around keeps my mind so much more alert than a typical gym workout.

The parks are nice and empty when I'm out there too, from about 7:30 to 9:00 in the morning - and not to brag, but it's a perfect 60 degrees outside. Times like these help me understand why I pay so loving much to live in Southern California.

If any goons out there wanna ride, let me know - there are some nearly empty housing developments up in the hills near Irvine that have perfectly smooth asphalt for longboarding and I'm always down to go to any of the local skateparks.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 27, 2009

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What's a good place to buy a blank deck?
Leaning towards This
I've got a design I want to paint on.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 27, 2009

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
been skating 10 years or so. Started at like 12 and here I am now. Use it mostly for transport now since I tossed some big soft longboard wheels on my skate. still bust the occasional kickflip and shove-it when I feel fancy

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth

Toussaint Louverture posted:

What's a good place to buy a blank deck?
Leaning towards This
I've got a design I want to paint on.

If you're going to buy a blank online I would highly recommend looking around ebay. The decks that pop up on ebay can be crazy cheap. I got an arto saari flip board for super cheap (like $25 and came with grip tape) on there. Shipped great and skates great.

edit: Go to your local skateshop. Many times you'll find the best blanks there (and the money goes to you local skate community :D)

nollek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 28, 2009

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I just bought these :

Now all I need is a new complete. Which'll cost me around 300 because prices are retarded high here ._.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
I just started boarding for the first time since ... jesus, high school? Picked up a new setup at the local shop, and now I've got a situation: I suck major rear end and am trying to get my trucks tighter so I don't constantly eat poo poo relearning flip tricks. So, I'm curious if it's smarter to just pick up some harder bushings instead of just tightening the poo poo out of the bolt.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sweet thread. I haven't skated for about 3 years. I wish I didn't have to pay to get into the local park though. Maybe I will get back into it...I will need new shoes.

I was always a Element deck and tensor trucks with black panther bearings and 52mm wheels kid. I bet I have a few decks laying around.

Matthew Billings posted:

No youth is complete without having built sketchy boxes and ramps, I remember using plastic piping with wax on it just to see if I'd get pitched or if it'd grind.

We had a pretty sick setup at buddies of mine.

10' double barrel PVC rail
8' QP
10' manual box with angle iron on the low side, PVC rail 5 inches up on the high side
Two kicker ramps with a square box that fit between them
friends to ollie over...

Bona Weiss posted:

Ooh, seriously - try not to do this. Landing on your hands is how you break wrists. Try to tuck your arms in to absorb impact with your shoulder and roll. Recently I had to throw my hands out to catch myself on some steps; the pain just shot up my arms and into my spine. Then I remembered why you don't do that.

Totally man. Don't ever, ever catch yourself. I broke my arm when I was 15 trying to stay up on my snowboard after hitting a jump. If you are going down just tuck and role.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Just can't seem to ollie. :smith:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Moneyball posted:

Don't give up! It's pretty hard when you're starting out, but oh so satisfying when you finally get it down :)

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

I'm curious if it's smarter to just pick up some harder bushings instead of just tightening the poo poo out of the bolt.

Tighten them too much and you'll blow them out, I'd go pick up some new ones. Harder bushings are where it's at for flip tricks.

Moneyball posted:

Duck down real low before you try, I mean real low - almost knees to the chest. Then spring out and really loving jump. Slam your back leg down and pull it back up into your chest as fast as possible. Slide that front foot up - it doesn't have to be far - two inches from behind the front bolts is plenty high to get up most poo poo.

Practice doing it while moving, and don't do it on the carpet at first. Set up a little obstacle to get over - like a piece of pipe or a hose. Anything to help you visualize the boards movement. Rinse and repeat for a few weeks and you'll be stoked.

...but then again, you don't have to know how to ollie to have fun on a board. There are a lot of (old) dudes out there who loving rip but couldn't ollie up a curb to save their life.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 29, 2009

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

I've already bought myself two complete decks in the past few months, but I saw this last night and had to get it.

Brand new, still in it's plastic; too nostalgic to pass up.

Now my inner debate is whether to ride it or hang it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bona Weiss posted:

I've already bought myself two complete decks in the past few months, but I saw this last night and had to get it.

Brand new, still in it's plastic; too nostalgic to pass up.

Now my inner debate is whether to ride it or hang it up.

Hang that poo poo up! I ride BMX but I've got a pretty nice deck collection and I'll be really angry if you destroy that!