Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I'll be really angry if you destroy that!
Yea, thinking about it I will too. On the wall it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, buy some god damned Black Bones already. I got my set six years ago, have done nothing to maintain them at all and have popped them out of wheels countless times none to gently and they still run flawlessly.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I was thinking of getting Bones Reds for my new complete. From what I know they're pretty much the best for their price. How much more expensive are Black bones? I don't remember them (I also haven't been to a skateshop in like 5 years so.... )

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've been longboarding /cruising for about 3 months and it owns and I'm even seeing semblances of carving when faced with big hills :unsmith:

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

Total Fat Guy posted:

I was thinking of getting Bones Reds for my new complete. From what I know they're pretty much the best for their price. How much more expensive are Black bones? I don't remember them (I also haven't been to a skateshop in like 5 years so.... )

Reds aren't quick enough for me. I'd used them when I first started, in fact they were pretty much all I used. I had them on my first complete when I started skating again and actually grew frustrated with them.

I like my Autobahn Abec-5s. They aren't the quickest, but they got a smoothness to them that I like. And they are pretty reasonable, you can get a set for around 10 to 12 bucks.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Reds aren't quick enough for me. I'd used them when I first started, in fact they were pretty much all I used. I had them on my first complete when I started skating again and actually grew frustrated with them.

I like my Autobahn Abec-5s. They aren't the quickest, but they got a smoothness to them that I like. And they are pretty reasonable, you can get a set for around 10 to 12 bucks.

That's pretty cheap! Skateboard parts here are stupidly expensive. A decent board is about 70 and a complete will be around 300. It sucks.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
good place to build and order a complete online that ships to canada? I've went on a few web sites, took the time to chose the parts only to find out they don't ship out of the states...

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Total Fat Guy posted:

That's pretty cheap! Skateboard parts here are stupidly expensive. A decent board is about 70 and a complete will be around 300. It sucks.

Not too sure about the complete for $300 man. The shop I work at sells our completes at $189.99, and that includes pro everything. AND i'm in Canada.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
SoCalSkateShop.com ships to Canada for under 30 bucks, they've got a great selection and I've never had any troubles with them.

It's a shame you can't buy locally for a reasonable price.

Bones Black are typically called Bones Swiss (at least where I am), great bearrings but I haven't been able to find them in a shop for under 60 bucks.

I'm a pretty loyal fan of Rockin' Rons:

http://www.skatetechnology.com/rocknronsbearings.htm

His wheels loving rip too, super hard, super fast. I wouldn't ride them on the street, but they're perfect in most parks.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 3, 2009

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

This is how you funsling, Brett.
All this makes me want to get on my board again, but I think I need some new wheels and bearings. Also, I have old rear end Indy trucks and they're heavy as hell. I'm not looking to grind and such (I can do a kickflip 1 in 10 times) I just want something that doesn't feel like lead attached to my board.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The new Etnies Japan 2008 video is awesome, it's up on the Blog portion of their site right now.

Sean Malto and Mikey Taylor are loving amazing, I swear Malto has god damned magnets on his feet - either he has some savant style muscle memory or he's a robot.

I would be genuinely shocked if Malto doesn't get Skater of the Year for 2009.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

donJonSwan posted:

The new Etnies Japan 2008 video is awesome, it's up on the Blog portion of their site right now.

Sean Malto and Mikey Taylor are loving amazing, I swear Malto has god damned magnets on his feet - either he has some savant style muscle memory or he's a robot.

I would be genuinely shocked if Malto doesn't get Skater of the Year for 2009.

Malto and Mike Mo are going to have to throw down for it, it's a pretty close race.

AP Knight
Nov 28, 2006

Intentionally Left Blank.
I'm looking to get back into skateboarding after a 6 year hiatus. I wasn't very good when I used to skate, however last year I forced myself to learn kickflips which really felt good after going so long without being able to do them. Does anyone have any experience with Organika decks by any chance? Any opinions?

AP Knight fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 6, 2009

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Angry Justin posted:

Not too sure about the complete for $300 man. The shop I work at sells our completes at $189.99, and that includes pro everything. AND i'm in Canada.

I remember paying 300 for a complete 5 years ago or so, in montréal. Where in canada are you?

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Total Fat Guy posted:

I remember paying 300 for a complete 5 years ago or so, in montréal. Where in canada are you?

New Brunswick. If we're dealing with 5 years ago, prices have changed a LOT since then. A deck will run you around $75 now as opposed to $95 2 years ago.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
This is going to be my first summer in Montreal and the weather has been kind of nice lately so I've been discovering tons of spots. My friend and I just made a pole jam that is super fun near McGill New Residence, if you can find it don't give too much poo poo to the people that kick you out or it'll probably get fixed.

I'm going to be in Ottawa over the weekend probably going to check out Legacy park and random street skating, hopefully get some footage. If enough goons are into it, maybe we can submit some footage in and make a montage video. I know they have similar projects on skate perception, but it would be cool to do it for goons.

Question: I'm riding the new Indy trucks with the "forged" metal and they are hella light. They're the 139 lows, will this fit a board smaller than 8"? I'm thinking of creeping down to 7 and 7/8's but I don't want the trucks to over hang and feel all wonky.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Sirkus posted:

Question: I'm riding the new Indy trucks with the "forged" metal and they are hella light. They're the 139 lows, will this fit a board smaller than 8"? I'm thinking of creeping down to 7 and 7/8's but I don't want the trucks to over hang and feel all wonky.

139's are perfect for 7 and 7/8ths.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Another aussie goon here. I havent skated for about 10 years and am super keen to get back into it. I have a couple of questions:

First things first, I don't have a skateboard - can anyone recommend a good starting board? I'm currently tossing up whether to get one of the completes from this ebay store or go to a skate shop proper and check out what they have.

Also, my feet are size 12 US - should I be shopping for a certain width deck/size wheels?

This is probably an Australia-specific question, but what am I, as a citizen of Sydney, legally allowed to do in a public space? I ask only to prepare myself in case someone gave me trouble over skating in the streets.

That's all I can think of for questions now - if anyone could help me out that'd be awesome.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

The Weird posted:

First things first, I don't have a skateboard - can anyone recommend a good starting board?

Get something fairly wide, 8.5 or so. Starting out on a toothpick is only going to lead to frustration. The type of deck itself doesn't much matter, and as mentioned in this thread a few times before.. buy locally. Even if it costs an extra 20 bucks.

Trucks don't much matter either (don't buy the lovely generic stuff), but if you're going to skate transition or want to carve you should replace your bushings with Bones mediums.

I'd start with big and soft wheels. 60mm Bones Soft Cores would be my suggestion - they'll roll smooth on the street and are big enough to give you a little extra speed in skateparks.

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma
I used to ride for 2 local shops in the Midwest, skated for about 9 or 10 years, then I shattered my knee and the ligaments surrounding it. Just realized it wasn't worth it anymore and quit. I went on my skateboard after reading this thread to roll around, I did 2 360 flips in a row went for a third and shot out on the landing and tore the tendon in my elbow. Thanks :)

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma

donJonSwan posted:

Get something fairly wide, 8.5 or so. Starting out on a toothpick is only going to lead to frustration. The type of deck itself doesn't much matter, and as mentioned in this thread a few times before.. buy locally. Even if it costs an extra 20 bucks.

Trucks don't much matter either (don't buy the lovely generic stuff), but if you're going to skate transition or want to carve you should replace your bushings with Bones mediums.

I'd start with big and soft wheels. 60mm Bones Soft Cores would be my suggestion - they'll roll smooth on the street and are big enough to give you a little extra speed in skateparks.

8.5 is Gigantic, I have size 14 shoes and I ride a 7.5. I would recommend a 8 at the highest. Unless your a big (and by that I mean BIG) guy there is no reason for a 8.5. Wheels though yeah go with 60mm I only rode accel wheels, no idea if they are still in business. Destructo *if still around are the best trucks you will find for starting off.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

Two questions:

Can anybody give me some pointers on a kickflip? I'm sure that I'm making an error in my foot placement or angle in which I flick the board, because it will flip edge over edge but consistently lands at a 90 degree angle. I've browsed the Youtbe how-to videos and read the pointers, but I somehow keep kicking the board to an angle. Perhaps there is a well-known common mistake I'm making?

Secondly, what's a good skateboarding forum with maybe a slightly older or less ADD inflicted user base? I'd love to find a site in which the threads read like this one, as opposed to what I keep finding which is:

quote:

Hey guys how do i do a pop shove it down stairs i can do two now maybe three but i keep falling.
_____

You can't do a pop shuvit haha that sucks I could do that when I was like 10

_____

Rodney mullen does a killer nollie shuvit to nose manual in video X

_____

mullen is a fag Jamie thomas is the king he can kick mullens rear end

Maybe I've just been lurking the wrong forums?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I've given up searching for skate forums as they are all pretty much what you quoted above.

I do check some skate blogs though;

http://youwillsoon.blogspot.com/

http://boiltheocean.wordpress.com/

http://www.crailtap.com/

I occasionally check what the kiddies say on the SLAP boards, but it's pretty much "lol berra sux he skates fake poo poo"

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&

Skate Perception is a pretty good forum if you're a filmer or photo g.

http://forums.skateperception.com/

As for kickflips, I can't help ya*. My trick tips are pretty poo poo. Ok put your feet like this (and I do it on my board) then this (and then I do the trick).

*Jump forward, flick diagonally

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 6, 2009

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Bona Weiss posted:

Two questions:

Can anybody give me some pointers on a kickflip? I'm sure that I'm making an error in my foot placement or angle in which I flick the board, because it will flip edge over edge but consistently lands at a 90 degree angle. I've browsed the Youtbe how-to videos and read the pointers, but I somehow keep kicking the board to an angle. Perhaps there is a well-known common mistake I'm making?

Tony Hawk's trick tips are pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKxLWZnnKmo

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 6, 2009

AP Knight
Nov 28, 2006

Intentionally Left Blank.

Bona Weiss posted:

The Tony Hawk video linked above is a pretty good resource. Personally, I finally got kickflips (after over a year of not being able to do them) when I was told to flick my foot. I had been 'kicking' instead of flicking, and my board would rotate flawlessly, however my feet would usually land before the board did. So when you are olli'ing and your foot is sliding up the deck at an angle, use your ankle to flick your foot. I hope this helps.

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma

Bona Weiss posted:

Two questions:

Secondly, what's a good skateboarding forum with maybe a slightly older or less ADD inflicted user base? I'd love to find a site in which the threads read like this one, as opposed to what I keep finding which is:

Maybe I've just been lurking the wrong forums?

Kickflips, theres a couple things. To get the right rotation try moving your foot up a little more on the board this will produce a slower flip. When you do a kickflip soon as you see the griptape side come around you should be pushing your feet back down onto the deck. DO NOT do a kickflip let the board hit the ground and you land on it, This will cause ALOT of injuries. Its up to you on where your foot should be because each person flick differently, I myself put my toes just to the left of the front 4 bolts holding the truck in. This helps me keep the board even in the air and produces a slower and cooler looking flip.

In a way you should be "catching" the board in the air with your feet.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Kindridx posted:

8.5 is Gigantic, I have size 14 shoes and I ride a 7.5. I would recommend a 8 at the highest. Unless your a big (and by that I mean BIG) guy there is no reason for a 8.5. Wheels though yeah go with 60mm I only rode accel wheels, no idea if they are still in business. Destructo *if still around are the best trucks you will find for starting off.

Depends on the type of riding he wants to do, I guess I should have been more specific.

If you're an older guy who is not interested in flips and such and would like something to get accustomed to and/or maybe ride around in a bowl (easier on the knees) - 8.5 is the way to go.

**edit**

forums.oldmanarmy.com - Cool group of older dudes with a lot of helpful advice, mostly park/tranny junkies but you can find a couple of street skaters on there.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 7, 2009

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Angry Justin posted:

New Brunswick. If we're dealing with 5 years ago, prices have changed a LOT since then. A deck will run you around $75 now as opposed to $95 2 years ago.

I'm back from the 'shop and holy gently caress, prices have dropped ! 110$ for a complete (not pro though). I got some destructo trucks, spitfire wheels, bones reds and the deck is basically a shop one. From what I've heard they're as good as pro decks, and much cheaper. Total came at 180 bucks. The grip and hardware were free, and they gave me a few stickers, haha. This rules.

Too bad it's raining and its not getting any better for the week... Lame ._.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Total Fat Guy posted:

I'm back from the 'shop and holy gently caress, prices have dropped ! 110$ for a complete (not pro though). I got some destructo trucks, spitfire wheels, bones reds and the deck is basically a shop one. From what I've heard they're as good as pro decks, and much cheaper. Total came at 180 bucks. The grip and hardware were free, and they gave me a few stickers, haha. This rules.

Too bad it's raining and its not getting any better for the week... Lame ._.

Yeah dude there's nothing wrong with shop decks. Our company decks are made on the same presses as Cliche and Zoo York, but they're like $40 cheaper.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Now I'm happy.

Can't wait to try these bad boys out later on!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Being a student my past 3 decks have been shop decks, skates fine. A nicer shape than most pro's I've skated (small tail big rear end nose).

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
what the gently caress it snowed yesterday. luckily it melted pretty quickly... i hope it's nice out tomorrow ._.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

Wish we could say this is a belated April Fool’s, but unfortunately that isn’t the case. As of today, Eric Koston will no longer be a part of Lakai Footwear. We have arrived at this decision mutually and believe it will ultimately create a better situation for all parties involved. We thank Eric for his contributions to Lakai over the last three years and wish him well wherever his path may lead.

http://www.theberrics.com/dailyopspost.php?postid=947

http://www.lakai.com/index.php

Kind of interesting that he's leaving Lakai, but I'm not too devasted, as long as he doesn't leave the crailtap family...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BearingChat

I've been rocking the same set of Girl Abec-3s for over seven years. They've been rained on, snowed on, and covered in mud, yet they somehow still roll as smooth as can be. They used to be blue but now you can't even tell through all the grime. I have no idea how they've held up as well as they have.

I haven't ridden for a while, sadly. I think this Friday I'll bust out the old board and see what I can do.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of bearings how do people clean them? Do you take the shield off? What lube are you using? Hot water soak?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I usually just take the wheel & bearings out and use a Q-tip to clean them up a bit, works fine for me.

Anyway, used to skate about 3 years ago. I just picked it up again the other week.
I can still manage things like kickflips no problem. Trying to get my old tricks like fakie tre flips back. Need to get back in practice again. :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sirkus posted:

http://www.lakai.com/index.php
Kind of interesting that he's leaving Lakai, but I'm not too devasted, as long as he doesn't leave the crailtap family...
I wonder who he's going to go with, he just left es a couple years ago.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
qirex, I figure he's going to go to Nike since he is a huge sneaker head

Air Kostons?

Who knows though, I never expected him to leave Lakai.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Element rider here. I haven't skated actively in years though. Seeing this thread gives me the idea of picking it up again. There are some local skate parks around here although there's probably nothing worse than seeing a fat dude re-learning how to skate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Finally getting time to skate again now that my work has slowed down, it feels super good. My friends and I had a good after-hours session at a local park the other night, which was awesome until we played skate and I broke my board on the first trick (front shuv). :( Also, I've ridden 8" boards for a few years now and love them. I have pretty big feet (size 13)

Also interested to see what happens with Koston now. I thought it was strange that they staged a fake press conference to announce he had left the team. It made sense for the "on the team" announcement but seems kind of weird for him leaving. Also really looking forward to The Berrics moving on from the weekend pizza party videos.

fake edit.

Minto Took posted:

Element rider here.

haha.