Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
A deck lasts me about 3 months, which seems average among my friends who skate a lot (for old men).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

open24hours posted:

You'd have to be skating incredibly hard or have awful technique to go through boards that quickly. I've been skating for about 15 years and get a new board about once a year. Even when I was younger and used to throw myself down stairs It was only like once every six months.

Okay I'm going to have to respectfully but completely disagree. If you are skating a ton (which of course is an extremely subjective word) you can expect to go through decks fast. 1 new board a year would be on the far low end if you're skating a good amount...technique aside.

PappyFromJersey
Nov 19, 2003

Hell yeah, I'm well aware of what's at stake. Won't be a single muhfucker crying at my wake.
34 year-old out of shape dude here. Now that I've taken up golf, don't skate too much anymore. I bought a couple of new boards thinking that they would get me back out. Since my job requires all of my extremeties to be in working order, the boards are collecting dust now.

BTW, for any old dudes that want a bigger board, Black Label is the way to go.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

soggybagel posted:

Okay I'm going to have to respectfully but completely disagree. If you are skating a ton (which of course is an extremely subjective word) you can expect to go through decks fast. 1 new board a year would be on the far low end if you're skating a good amount...technique aside.

The type of skating you do probably has a lot to do with it as well. I spend most of my time skating ramps which is a lot less stressful on the board. If you're boardsliding jagged rocks or hitting 10+ stairsets regularly then I can see a board a month being plausible.

I'm also quite light (~135lbs) so that probably has something to do with it.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 16, 2009

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Sirkus posted:

...So looser trucks on a longboard doesn't mean sharper turns?! :psyduck:

Looser trucks on any board doesn't mean sharper turns, it just means that less effort is needed to turn. There are a couple of things that influence your turning radius.

http://www.randal.com/guides_faq.html

That should give you a crash course on how trucks work. A shorter wheelbase will have a smaller turning radius, and changing your baseplate angle will also have an effect. For example, on my board used for carving, cruising and some light downhill, I run a 50° Randal in the front, and a 42° in the rear. The 50 degree front truck turns quickly and is very responsive, the 42° (with flipped hanger) in the back is more stable, which means I have more traction and can hold a line better since it's not as twitchy as the front truck.

If you have the right bushings, the kingpin nut should just be tightened enough to take any slop out. For revenge trucks I have no idea since I've only ridden them once and haven't really tweaked them or anything, but for conventional or reverse kingpin trucks that's the proper procedure.

For Flea606 I would reccommend a Kracked Skulls (https://www.krackedskulls.com) for your first board, they're really awesome and a hell of a value. For the price of a sector 9 with crappy components, you can support an independent builder who has much better quality control, customer service and better parts. You have a number of options, too.

There's the M1, which is the base model. It's limited in it's wheel selection, but it's still a great deck. Good flex, it's a dropthrough which makes pushing and footbraking easier, and the deck its self is just under $50. You can choose the length as well (shorter = smaller turning radius), so you can customize it to your liking.

Then there's the scimitar, which has larger wheel cutouts and can take pretty much any wheel. In my opinion, the flex is a little more linear (it flexes up and down, the M1 has more torsional flex) and has more size choices.

The only potential drawback is that they're designed to use Randal trucks, so unless you want to do some modifications, that's what you're stuck with. Randal makes awesome trucks, though, and there are loads and loads of options for customization. You will want to get some different bushings, most people don't like the stock bushings.

Another site to check out is https://www.milehighskates.com. They don't have the biggest selection, but that's because the owner is very particular. You can't walk into a shop and buy the completes he has because he tests and tunes various setups before he sells them. He faces the trucks and includes bearing spacers and speed rings which means you can crank your axle nuts all the way down and your wheels and bearings will last longer with less noise. He also carries various accessories (wheels, bearings, bushings, kingpins, etc). I go there for most of my stuff because of the great customer service.

Also, getting down new old school style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5m8XVv8LEI

DELETED fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 17, 2009

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

open24hours posted:

The type of skating you do probably has a lot to do with it as well. I spend most of my time skating ramps which is a lot less stressful on the board. If you're boardsliding jagged rocks or hitting 10+ stairsets regularly then I can see a board a month being plausible.

I'm also quite light (~135lbs) so that probably has something to do with it.

I agree, I've had my pool board for years, but i only skate bowls and don't do anything that really stresses the board out. Pretty much just carve all day long. And off course the long board is just for sidewalk surfing so it sees little abuse, it's about seven years old now. The tail and nose is starting to wear though.

Back in my teens though I went through a lot of boards street skating.

DELETED posted:

For Flea606 I would reccommend a Kracked Skulls (https://www.krackedskulls.com) for your first board, they're really awesome and a hell of a value. For the price of a sector 9 with crappy components, you can support an independent builder who has much better quality control, customer service and better parts. You have a number of options, too.

Thanks for that link man, I've been thinking of getting a better quality longboard setup because mine is VERY dated. All the surf shops near me in FL sell longboards (sector 9) but the prices are rediculous. I like the idea of a lower board for easier pushing/stopping, does it make that much of a difference?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 18, 2009

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Makes a HUGE difference with pushing and footbreaking

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, I think I'm going to order a longboard from Krackedskulls, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide on what size wheels to get.....Options go from 70mm up to 83mm! Now I know taller wheels help a lot for vert skating, but do they make much of a difference on flat ground longboarding?

I may email the owner to get his opinon too....

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Definitely send William an email, he's one of the best businessmen I've had the pleasure of dealing with. What's your pavement like and have you decided between M1 and Scimitar yet? Don't forget you'll need griptape unless you order it with quartz grip.

E: I'll add that taller wheels make a huge difference, they hold speed better and roll over more obstacles (rocks and the like) with ease. That comes with a tradeoff, though. You will be a little higher off the ground and it takes a bit more energy to start rolling. Urethane formula is also a big factor. A 70mm Sector 9 Nineball wheel will be slower than a 70mm Retro ZigZag because Abec11/Retro uses much better urethane. You'll also want to look into getting some bushings to replace the stock Randal bushings, some people don't like them since they're kind of floppy and 'dead' feeling. The great thing about Randal trucks are all the tuning options. A good set of bushings will make all the difference in the world. I'm using green Venoms right now, but they're hard to find because of some business disagreement or something. Khiro makes good bushings and I've heard good things about Retro's reflex bushings too. I've never tried them personally, but before Retro was making their own bushings, there was a guy who would make bushings out of their wheels (same urethane) and people seemed to LOVE them. It all depends on your weight and riding style, I can give some suggestions for setups if you'd like.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 18, 2009

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Right now I'm thinking the Scimitar, is it that much better than the M1? I'll probably go with a 44 or 43 inch, and definitely going with the OUST bearings.

As far as the wheels, this is what William said:

quote:

taller wheels are a little harder to push. i ride the 83s myself
because they can roll right over a garden hose. with a little
imagination you can see that they will save a lot of skin too.
i think your terrain is also a big factor.

He has a good point about saving skin, I've taken bad spills because of uneven pavement and debris before......But I'm wondering which is better, easier pushing or better momentum? If I'm able to cruise longer before pushing I'm pushing less in the long run, so I guess the biggest drawback to tall wheels is getting it rolling initially. It's really hard to speculate, I wish i had two decks side by side to compare.

I'd love to hear your suggestions though. For reference I fluctuate between 150 and 155 pounds, and I guess you could say my riding style is mostly just cruising as fast as possible with moderate carving. I live in FL so not many hills at all. Although if I have a better board for carving i would carve more, I don't know if you saw my longboard in my pic post, but it rides high and has Indy trucks from the 80's. Not exactly the best setup for good, momentum carving.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I ride 75mm 80a Orangatang In Heat wheels.

I love them, but since a lot of the pavement I'm on is smooth a part of me wishes I had the 83a's just for a bit more speed.

They roll forever, I can get around by just pumping without having to put my foot down at all.

http://www.orangatangwheels.com/

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I bought a longboard last week. I'm 23 and I had never gotten on a board of any kind before. Still, I'm having a TON of fun learning how it works. Every time I manage to go down a slight slope without getting wobbles and bailing feels like a huge goddamned accomplishment.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll master the art of breaking. That should help a bit.

Also the muscles on the back of my pushing leg hurt like gently caress. It's awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

I love them, but since a lot of the pavement I'm on is smooth a part of me wishes I had the 83a's just for a bit more speed.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'll be riding a lot of smooth pavement, and actually have a paved bike trail near my house that's ultra smooth. I think I'm gonna go with the 83's.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

leica posted:

Right now I'm thinking the Scimitar, is it that much better than the M1? I'll probably go with a 44 or 43 inch, and definitely going with the OUST bearings.

As far as the wheels, this is what William said:

He has a good point about saving skin, I've taken bad spills because of uneven pavement and debris before......But I'm wondering which is better, easier pushing or better momentum? If I'm able to cruise longer before pushing I'm pushing less in the long run, so I guess the biggest drawback to tall wheels is getting it rolling initially. It's really hard to speculate, I wish i had two decks side by side to compare.

I'd love to hear your suggestions though. For reference I fluctuate between 150 and 155 pounds, and I guess you could say my riding style is mostly just cruising as fast as possible with moderate carving. I live in FL so not many hills at all. Although if I have a better board for carving i would carve more, I don't know if you saw my longboard in my pic post, but it rides high and has Indy trucks from the 80's. Not exactly the best setup for good, momentum carving.

You'll notice it a little bit when you're taking off from a stop, you'll need to put a little more sauce on it to get going, but once you get those Flywheels moving they keep moving for quite some time. If you're on smooth pavement, they'll roll even faster than a similarly sized wheel because the core is so big it keeps the urethane from deforming too much when there's weight on the board.

For bushings, I'd probably recommend something in the mid-80s durometer range. You have 2 main choices, cones and barrels. Cones are your standard skate bushing. When you're standing on your board, it will have a tendency to "tip" in one direction or the other, there's not a lot of support from the bushings until you start leaning into a turn or carve. These are great for carving and the like, not so great for downhill/higher speeds.

The other main option are barrels. Barrels are, as the name implies, somewhat barrel shaped. These are really popular because they have a fairly progressive feel. You'll have a lot of support that will help keep the board straight, and when you lean into it, the amount of resistance will continually increase. You can really dig into a carve and use the rebound of the bushing to sort of "pop" you out of it.

You also have a choice between cupped washers and flat washers. Cupped washers are the old standard, they can help compress the bushing more as you reach the limit of your turn, but I prefer flat washers, they give more room for the bushing to sort squish out as you turn, giving you a little more turn depth.

I like Khiro Bitch bushings for a really turny ride, they're great for pumping and carving. i used a combo of blues and reds, but you can scale that down a duro or 2. Since you're mostly hitting flats you can run your trucks pretty floppy without having to worry about wobbles too much.

A little tip/trick for Randals: the bottom bushing (between the baseplate and the hanger) is taller than your standard skate bushing, so if you use a khiro barrel you'll need an extra flat washer to put between the bushing and the baseplate to keep the truck geometry normal. Most newer bushing companies account for this, so most Venom/Reflex/Sabre bushings shouldn't need this. Khiro also sells tall cone bushings that will fit without shimming.

donJonSwan posted:

I ride 75mm 80a Orangatang In Heat wheels.

They roll forever, I can get around by just pumping without having to put my foot down at all.

http://www.orangatangwheels.com/

Yeah, o'tangs are pretty sweet. The flywheels have just bit more roll speed in my opinion, since the InHeats have a small bearing core and a lot of urethane depth, but they're both miles ahead of most sector 9 wheels (I've heard the Race Formulas are good, every S9 wheel I've ridden just felt dead). Good wheels make way more difference than good bearings (unless your bearings are old and sloppy or rusted out).

Kikkoman posted:

I bought a longboard last week. I'm 23 and I had never gotten on a board of any kind before. Still, I'm having a TON of fun learning how it works. Every time I manage to go down a slight slope without getting wobbles and bailing feels like a huge goddamned accomplishment.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll master the art of breaking. That should help a bit.

Also the muscles on the back of my pushing leg hurt like gently caress. It's awesome.

Couple tips for beginners: Bend your knees and relax your legs. Speed wobbles are mostly mental, when you step outside your comfort zone you tense up and your legs stop absorbing the oscillations. For footbraking, just practice riding on one foot. Give it a couple kicks, then just keep whatever foot you use to push hanging. Footbraking is mostly about balancing on one foot and slowly shifting your weight to the other one. Once you get it down, you can footbrake at pretty much any speed. I can throw a footbrake long enough that I feel the heat through my sole.

If you make or buy some slide gloves, you can also learn to slide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHWZ1IJ5F8) to control your speed. Sergio Yuppie's style is more technical than what you can do on a longer board with soft wheels, but you can still slide those too. I love this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yluk7AAb6Bo

E: old school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ssTCx_Jt8

DELETED fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 19, 2009

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'll keep bushings in mind for sure, but compared to my current setup the stock bushings will probably feel awesome. I'm sold on the 83's too, I like to carry lots of speed so a little tougher pushing isn't going to bother me.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
The energy you spend pushing isn't really all that much, especially since you're lower to the ground than a topmount. Some people might give you a hard time about using wheels traditionally used for downhill/speedboarding to cruise, but I really like them on my friend's scimitar. Don't know if you've ridden a board with flex before, but you'll probably fall in love with it as soon as you set foot on it. I looked at your current ride and I think you will be quite satisfied with the upgrade. I went from a stiff 46" sector 9 plank on crappy wheels and gullwing trucks to a KS and the difference was amazing. You'll wet your pants the first time you roll across some gravel or rough pavement and your teeth don't rattle out of your skull. It's like a cloud.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Actually, the one decent thing about my ancient longboard is it does have some good flex to it, it is a great thing going from a stiff street deck to a longboard with flex. When I first got my longboard, it was still kind of catching on and people would always ask me about it. To explain it I would always say it was like the Cadillac of skateboards.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
My older cousin of mine has a regular deck with wider trucks and giant wheels. I was afraid to ride it :v: it felt like it would shoot from under me. It felt like wearing new socks on a freshly waxed floor. I was slipping before I could get both feet on it.

All I really wanna do is cruise. Should I skip this learning to street skate and move to a long board? All this talk about not eating a face full of street rolling over a rock seems alot better then eating a face full of street from trying to avoid a rock, but only to run over a smaller rock in the process.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Shortymrbig posted:

All I really wanna do is cruise. Should I skip this learning to street skate and move to a long board? All this talk about not eating a face full of street rolling over a rock seems alot better then eating a face full of street from trying to avoid a rock, but only to run over a smaller rock in the process.

You're going to eat poo poo regardless of the type of board you're riding.

Bigger wheels can roll over rocks some rocks, sure, but they typically go on a bigger board. Which means they can be more difficult to maneuver around posts, dogs, people or whatever.

Shakey Shake
Oct 13, 2005
I was born this way.

DELETED posted:

Sergio Yuppie's style

Sergio's style is killer. I think I have to get a long board and bomb a hill. I know he didn't have a long board, but this thread is making me want to spend some money.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

donJonSwan posted:

You're going to eat poo poo regardless of the type of board you're riding.

Bigger wheels can roll over rocks some rocks, sure, but they typically go on a bigger board. Which means they can be more difficult to maneuver around posts, dogs, people or whatever.

I'm aiming to eat the least amount of poo poo possible and if I do I want to look cool doing it :c00lbert:

"I meant to fall on my face guys! It's a new German style of long boardin'."

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 21, 2009

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I don't know, I've rattled over some pretty nasty rocks before. The bad part about running over rocks isn't getting stopped suddenly, it's getting the wobbles (the wheel moves up and over, which gives the same effect as leaning to turn) and also having your wheels lose traction. I tagged a smallish rock laying into a hard toeside carve with one of my back wheels and the board suddenly went sideways. Given the grippy wheels I was riding, as soon as they hit the ground the grabbed hard and I flew off backwards going about 20. If I wasn't wearing a helmet (it really is a good idea), I would at the very least have ended up with a serious brain injury. I was laid up for 3 or 4 days with whiplash. I flew off going backwards, my rear end hit the ground and my head immediately snapped back and bounced off of the pavement. I've also nailed a patch of gravel going through a hard 90° left at about 25-30, as soon as I hit it the board just slid out from under my and I went grinding down the street on my side. It was pretty surreal, as I was sliding along on my knee/elbow I could hear a weird ringing sound. I looked over and in slow-motion, watched the 9/16" wrench that was in my pocket bounce down the sidewalk next to me.

So, I'd say the bigger danger in hitting a rock or gravel is losing traction or upsetting your balance. That goddamn landscaping bark they use in parks and stuff, that poo poo is horrible. It will wedge under your truck and stop you dead in your tracks.

Oh, and aluminum cans. They wrap around your wheel.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

DELETED posted:

Oh, and aluminum cans. They wrap around your wheel.

Just ollie over that poo poo :v:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Boneless :downs:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Think you're fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0-pt1tNzx4

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?
Does anyone notice a difference between $200 ceramic bearings and regular $25 bearings?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

partipo posted:

Does anyone notice a difference between $200 ceramic bearings and regular $25 bearings?

I was just thinking that today as I bought a new set of bearings. I've never ridden ceramics though.

assinyourpants
Jul 7, 2008
Currently riding an Original Longboards Apex 34. It's an absolutely amazing board, but the price is a little steep. Spring loaded trucks make turning feel almost exactly like snowboarding/surfing depending on how much you tighten the trucks.

giantaw
Sep 20, 2002

partipo posted:

I can't imagine anyone doing anything other than hardcore downhill skating would notice a difference.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Lots of hardcore downhill guys just use your garden variety Bones Reds or similar bearings. The piece of gear that will affect your speed the most are wheels. As long as your bearings are clean and lubed, they will go as fast as you can go. Ceramics will last longer, but I'd rather spend the money on good wheels.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I always forget about this thread.

Throwing this out there for the board discussion: if I'm skating consistently (say four-five days out of a week) and especially if I'm trying to film stuff, I'll go through a deck every three weeks.

I'm currently averaging two, occasionally three sessions per week and it is depressing. Something is wrong with my left knee (push leg) and I can barely make my leg completely straight, so that's becoming worrying as well. It's been sore for a few days, I'm supposed to go out with some friends on Tuesday evening, so hopefully it's better by then.

Also, the berrics match this weekend between Torey Pudwill and David Gonzalez is much better than most of these matches have been thusfar.

Also2, Jimmy Carlin is really loving good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

zeroordie posted:

Something is wrong with my left knee (push leg) and I can barely make my leg completely straight, so that's becoming worrying as well. It's been sore for a few days, I'm supposed to go out with some friends on Tuesday evening, so hopefully it's better by then.

Ummm, go see a doctor?

Knees aren't something to gently caress around with, I have hyper extended my knee skating and if I wouldn't have taken it easy for a few weeks (doctor's orders) I could have really messed it up.

La Brujo
Sep 22, 2008

You boys still afraid of the dark?
What longboard is Mark Gonzales using in this video and where can I get it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTzEp4CeWT8

Any help is appreciated.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

leica posted:

Ummm, go see a doctor?

Yeah, I'm going to see how it feels tomorrow night. It kind of feels like if I warm up and stretch it out a little bit it will be fine, but I'm not entirely sure. If it feels bad on wednesday morning then I'll most probably go get it checked out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just ordered my Kracked Skulls longboard.

46" Scimitar, polished 180's, 83mm Flywheels, OUST bearings, no logo.

Came to just over $200 with shipping (also used a discount code if anyone needs it)

I'm so excited I feel like a little girl :allears:

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

zeroordie posted:

Also, the berrics match this weekend between Torey Pudwill and David Gonzalez is much better than most of these matches have been thusfar.

Also2, Jimmy Carlin is really loving good.

I like how the young dudes all pop their tricks crazy high. Mike Mo and Billy Marks did it in BatB1 as well.

Psycho White Boy is so nice!

giantaw
Sep 20, 2002

Anyone else bummed about the technical difficulties keeping part two of the Element doc from being posted?

nothing awful
Mar 14, 2009
just wanna let you all know that i'm trying to start a petition to nationally legalize skateboarding / build more public skateparks. i realize that i will most likely fail miserably but it's worth a shot, and i'd be really stoked if anyone here signed or wanted to help out in anyway. its at skatefriendly.com or myspace.com/skatefriendly.

not sure if this is considered spam or not but i'll take it down immediately if it is.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'm totally for creating more skateparks, but the efforts for 'legalization' of what is essentially vandalism is a bit much and will get you nothing but grief from anyone in a position of power.

There are a lot of really good ways to get attention from your local city council, but honestly an online petition isn't going to be one of them.

You need real life signatures, as well as a noticeable presence in your local city council meetings. Also, there is no real need to recreate the wheel here, there are dozens of online resources out there to help you get a grassroots skatepark campaign underway.

Not trying to bum you out or anything, but it really looks like you need to do a lot more research before moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
This thread (and needing a better way to get around campus) has inspired me to get back into skating. I used to be really into it from 5th to 9th grade, then I just got caught up in other things. I was never any good, I could ollie fine and do sloppy half-cabs and the occasionally noseslide, but I was also scared shitless of hurting myself.

It's weird looking at all the stuff that has happened with the skate scene. Ali Boulala had that accident that killed Shane Cross, Pop War went out of business (which sucks, I loved their decks) and there's all these kids I don't recognize. Corey Duffel still wears pants that show off his scrotum, I noticed.

I'm pretty excited, because I was able to find my old Thunder trucks (Mark Appleyard's. :)) with Ricta wheels attached, which saves me a good 70 dollars. I just need bolts and a new deck. I'm probably going to go with Alien Workshop or Girl, mainly because I've always liked the teams both of those companies sport.

Has anything else big happened in the skate scene in the past 4-5 years?

Also, I never stopped buying Nike SB shoes because they're so comfy, so that's covered too. :smugdog: