Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

HoboNinja posted:

with a set of independent trucks (just plain silver ones)

That's the way to do it. Independent are unparalleled.

I've been skateboarding for about ten years now, so I love this thread already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Finally getting time to skate again now that my work has slowed down, it feels super good. My friends and I had a good after-hours session at a local park the other night, which was awesome until we played skate and I broke my board on the first trick (front shuv). :( Also, I've ridden 8" boards for a few years now and love them. I have pretty big feet (size 13)

Also interested to see what happens with Koston now. I thought it was strange that they staged a fake press conference to announce he had left the team. It made sense for the "on the team" announcement but seems kind of weird for him leaving. Also really looking forward to The Berrics moving on from the weekend pizza party videos.

fake edit.

Minto Took posted:

Element rider here.

haha.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I always forget about this thread.

Throwing this out there for the board discussion: if I'm skating consistently (say four-five days out of a week) and especially if I'm trying to film stuff, I'll go through a deck every three weeks.

I'm currently averaging two, occasionally three sessions per week and it is depressing. Something is wrong with my left knee (push leg) and I can barely make my leg completely straight, so that's becoming worrying as well. It's been sore for a few days, I'm supposed to go out with some friends on Tuesday evening, so hopefully it's better by then.

Also, the berrics match this weekend between Torey Pudwill and David Gonzalez is much better than most of these matches have been thusfar.

Also2, Jimmy Carlin is really loving good.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

leica posted:

Ummm, go see a doctor?

Yeah, I'm going to see how it feels tomorrow night. It kind of feels like if I warm up and stretch it out a little bit it will be fine, but I'm not entirely sure. If it feels bad on wednesday morning then I'll most probably go get it checked out.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Kalis had such a good part in Mindfield too, I nearly lost it when he did that shove-it back tail on that brick ledge in New York. That ledge is so cool looking.

I've been riding a local shop's boards since they opened nearly five years ago now. I love the shape and the store was started by one of my closest friends.

In other news, here's an awesome picture of my friend Auby (Adam) Taylor:

Click here for the full 500x667 image.

Also, after nearly five years of trying and dreaming of it, I finally learned one of my dream tricks last night: nollie tre. Very weird, I can inconsistently make them switch and pretty consistently nollie now, but I could't land a regular 360 flip if my life depended on it.

And on one last note, gently caress theberrics today.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

donJonSwan posted:

God I hate backside 180's, they're my bane.

Frontside feels soooo much better.

It's all in the shoulders, try learning them off a curb first. I first learned them down a two stair (:whatup:) and a year or so later was able to figure out how to get the rotation on flat.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Shortymrbig posted:

Goons help me out.

Whats good beginners practice consist of and where?

Honestly, the most important thing is spending time on a board. I learned the foundation for all of my tricks either in my garage or on the sidewalk in front of my parents house.

It's pretty amazing how much you can learn on a sidewalk. I've found that learning is much easier when you have obvious goals. I learned manuals by taking it one sidewalk square at a time, then once I had that down, trying two, then three, and so on. I dont know, I've done some stupidly long manuals. Then do the same for nose manuals.

When you want to learn ollies, put a stick on the ground. Once you can get over it, put another stick on top of it. I could never figure out how to get the tail off the ground until I started trying to get over hockey sticks. It takes some work, but stick with it and it will come.

All the time you spend on a board will help you, whether you're trying to roll down ramps at a local park or roll in a straight line for thirty feet in front of your house. Just go have fun with it, that's the most important part.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Shortymrbig posted:

One thing though, I don't know if it matters, my size 13 feet and my 7.5 board. Should I go to an 8? Or does it really matter? Would it make learning more difficult or am I just worrying about nothing.

I have size thirteen shoes as well, and I ride an 8. I rode 7.75 for a few years, but eventually succumbed to the lure of the 8. I personally find it much easier to balance on, but that's just me. It's all about what you're comfortable on.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I would lose my poo poo if Lance Mountain showed up a skatepark I was at randomly. If it wasn't my fathers birthday I'd probably be driving down to Houston today to see the NikeSB demo (aka to see Gino).

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone have any advice on learning to drop in on coping other than manning up and leaning forward? I just can't get it to happen.

It's all in your weight distribution. The biggest thing is make sure you lean forward; you will probably fall a few times, but once you have you'll probably figure it out pretty quickly.

One of the mental tricks to it, I think, is to not stand there with your feet on your board ready to drop in, if you wait like this it gives you too much time and you start getting scared and your legs start getting wobbly. If you're feeling nervous about it, try starting out with your feet sort of like this:

So you have one foot on the board and one foot on the deck behind you. Then, decide that you're going to commit to it, count to three, and on three smash your front foot on the bolts of your board/on to the ramp as hard you can. The big trick to it when you're first learning is pushing your front foot down as hard as you can. I used to tell little kids that the ramp was making fun of them so they'd get mad and smash the board on to the ramp.

Try to keep your feet on the bolts once you're on the ramp, as it keeps your weight centered and is ideal for learning how to pump. You'll probably eat it a few times, but that's part of the fun, right? It's also one of those tricks that once you've done it once, it's pretty damned easy to do for the rest of your life.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, I'm tree minutes away from watching the new Flip video. I feel like I'm fifteen again.

soggybagel posted:

Hey sorry guys don't mean to spam this thread but once more this coming friday if you live in the Twin Cities check this out. Free entry. Something I helped work on.

There's definitely some legit poo poo in this, what did you help with?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

On the whole I was pretty disappointed in the video. It just doesn't stand up in a post Fully Flared world.

I really, really disagree with David Gonzalez getting last part. It was good and all, I just think its kind of insulting to your pros who have been with the company for ten+ years to throw a random am into last part. If Flip was a company that put out a ton of videos, that would make sense, but they dont. They spend years and years making one video and hyping it up. I also thought it was kind of insane to have Bob's part like fourth one in or something? I couldn't even comprehend the poo poo he was doing. Switch 540 ollie over the megaramp gap? seriously?

The music choices were weird and all of the parts had tons of filler. A few good parts but pretty disappointing, overall.

I think I liked that free Adidas video Diagonal more, actually. Did any of you see that? I found a copy online, I dont think its :filez: because it was a video they gave out for free at skateshops? It was showcasing their European team and had a really good montage of US dudes + a Busenitz part, too.

Moving right along, Gang of Fourstar just went online. Kind of? Seems to be broken at the moment, but if you're crafty you can get to it.

fake edit: Sean Malto is so drat good.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 12, 2009

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

soggybagel posted:

:words:
That's cool, man. That trailer looks awesome.

Golem II posted:

You were able to download it from their site so it's not :filez:. I haven't seen Extremely Sorry yet but felt Fully Flared was boring (too much hype). I haven't really liked any newer videos except for Right Foot Forward, Proof, and Baker has a Deathwish: Summer Tour 2008. I would like to see Extremely Sorry to see if it lives up to the hype or falls flat.

Well, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree here. I was blown away by Fully Flared; I went into it expecting it to not live up to the hype and couldn't believe how strong the video actually is. I mean, the filming, editing, music, and most importantly the tricks are all on another level. The tricks are innovative but done so well that they all look really, really good too. The style is what really sets it apart, I think.

I need to see Right Foot Forward but thusfar I think the only video that really holds up to FF is Mindfield, which I also really liked.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Golem II posted:

wheels don't wear down in size. even if they are soft.

I can officially confirm that this is not true. I'm the worst about switching out wheels and usually end up riding the same pair for years at a time. I typically start out with 52mm and by the time I've taken them off they're closer to 48mm and are barely much larger than the bearings themselves.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

qirex posted:

they just had to use the generic indie film hand-lettering didn't they?

Yeah. I've seen it; it's decent at best. Some aspects of it really bothered me, but it definitely had a phat John Rattray cameo.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like that they really changed their course up for that stop, and specifically did not include any Hubbas for that big section where they start. Nothing against them I just like seeing them mix it up. I really SLS for the "Best trick" format but I'd rather they kept flow seperate and conducted it jam style like the x-games does for park. I like them both a lot actually.

I have about a million problems with Street League, but they've definitely improved the competition aspect this year. The varied course designs have really made a huge difference, nearly every stop this year has come down to the last attempts in super exciting fashion. The stop with the longer hubbas and kinked handrail was another really exciting one too.

Also, I'll take Brandon Graham as commentator over Sal Masekela every single time. Huge improvement there. He definitely has room to improve though. I want to kill myself every time they talk about "strategy" and "the ping pong effect". If they can upgrade the color commentator spot (aka Felix) I think that could be a big improvement too. Did you see the prelims? Geoff Rowley came in and sat with the commentators for most of it. That was pretty awesome.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2013

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

I'm following this advice above, but need a bit of guidance. I'm 6'2" & 190 lb, looking to do casual riding around and as I get more comfortable go to the skate park nearby and make a fool of myself... What would be an appropriate size board and wheels? searching yielded a lot of personal preference and recommendations from between 7.5" to 8.25" for board width and wheels seem to be 52mm or 54mm depending on the site. Would the Independent stage 11 standard trucks be the best pick? I haven't gone skateboarding in a number of years and cannot remember what I used before as I didn't get into the gear aspect of the hobby.

What size shoes do you wear? I'm 6'2, 200 pounds. I have size 13 shoes and I skate an 8" deck. I rode a 7.75" for a long time, then I tried a 7.85", then eventually made the switch to 8". I found that 8" was the most comfortable size for me. It feels solid and isn't too much harder to flip. Obviously, shoe size isn't the only factor here but for me it's a big one. One of my closest friends rides a 7.5" board. I feel like I'm riding on a popsicle stick when I step on that thing, but it definitely flips way easier. I also tried a friends' 8.25" board last week. Felt super solid, of course, but was almost impossible to flip. He actually ended up giving it away and going back to 8" because he couldn't flip it reliably.

I ride 53mm wheels. All of my friends ride 52mm though. I like to skate some transition, which bigger wheels help with. Also makes rolling on crappy ground feel a bit smoother, so that helps.

As for the trucks, Independent is the safest bet. Not sure about the stage 11 thing to be honest, but they seem like the best option. I've been on my current Independent's for over a year, so I'm out of date there.

Do you have a local skate shop you could swing by? They probably have a complete deal not far off of the CCS deal. In a store you could stand on a few different deck shapes to get an idea of how they feel under you too.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 23, 2013

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

d0s posted:

Shop decks :whatup:

Got it put together, went outside and got my ollie back after some embarrassing moments and then it started pouring. Florida sucks

Good looking set-up. Great shop too, I loved Welcome to Mia.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Megadrive posted:

I should clarify I've been attempting ollies for about 2-3 months now, skating whenever I can between work.

If it makes you feel any better, it took me like three years to get to a decent ollie and another two years to get kickflips down. I was a slow learner, apparently.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Megadrive posted:

This is the point I'm up to currently. I think the only thing I need to work on now is the flick, then once I have the motions going, to start attempting it moving. I'd like to get your guys' opinions, though.

I would spend some time really focusing on snapping your backfoot/tail. Hit that thing off the ground as hard as you can; try to make the loudest noise possible. While you work on that, also work on immediately pulling your back leg up as high as you possibly can after the pop. That's the part I've seen a lot of people struggle with, pulling that back leg up quickly to even out the board.

One of the ways that I really improved my pop was to take it one step at a time. I got comfortable with the motion standing still, then rolling slowly. Then, I ollied over a hockey stick (or a broom handle). Like an inch high, maybe, but still. It got me used to the feeling of trying to go over something. Once I was comfortable with that, I added another stick on top. And so on. I did the same thing when I learned kickflips, slowly working my way up to see how high I could take it. Takes time, but it was definitely worth it. It was fun too, trying to see how far I could push it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Lawen posted:

Just did some wikipedia research. Looks like it started in '03 but was just featured in Thrasher mag, no footage released, until '13. In '13 and '14 they blogged about it and posted webisodes on Thrasher and YT (links on the wikipedia page). Then Vice picked it up for the last two years.

It was initially released on DVD. I have the first four years around here somewhere.

Basically Zero just kept winning it over and over again until they finally retired.