Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Skateboarding isn't just for 12 year old kids in California, it's a full body workout that is just as rewarding (although not as profitable for the professionals) as any other sport out there.

Skateboarding isn't limited to jumping down stairs on a seven and a half inch board, or tre-flipping your way to eternity in a Vons parking lot. There are several types of skateboarding, not limited to:

Longboarding - Cruising down mountains at ridiculous speeds, or rolling across a college campus with your collar popped sporting Kanye shades and flip flops.

Pool/Transition Skating - Ripping backyard or skatepark pools, vert ramps, ghetto quarter pipes you built from trash, etc.

Street Skating - This is what the current mainstream style of skating is mostly about, rails, gaps, ledges and creativity.

Looking for other amazing skateboard videos? Check out:

• Fully Flared
  • Chlorine
  • Future Primitive

Best place to buy a board?

Your local skateshop. Do your part and support the little guys. Skateboarding isn't the corporate monster it used to be in the late 80's to mid 90's, when you buy a board from a local shop you're supporting local skate culture.

Don't have a local skateshop to buy a board from? Check out fellow goon Rygar's online shop.

What type of board should I buy?

It doesn't loving matter, just ride. Seriously, just loving ride a skateboard. Don't be a spergy gearhead, this sport was started by badass motherfuckers nailing skates to loving planks.

With that out of the way.... there are so many choices out there it can be a little intimidating, and no they're really not all the same. It does depend on the type of riding you plan on doing. You shouldn't let the 16 year old at the shop talk you into a 7.75" board if you're a big dude. If you describe what you're looking for in this thread someone will be able to help you out, regardless of the type of riding you're into.

I've been skating on and off for my entire life, I'm not professional, and I'm not really that great - but I do know a lot about pretty much every type of skating out there. Use this thread to discuss equipment, skate spots, trick tips or just to spread the stoke.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bona Weiss posted:

What's a great set of cruising trucks ideally $40 or below? My cruising deck is 8.12" w/ 56mm wheels.

Any trucks will work out well for cruising, the real determining factor for your ride is the quality of the bushings you use. I ride Independent trucks almost exclusively, but I hate their stock bushings - I always replace them with a set of Bones Medium's - you can get a set from any skate shop. Khiro also makes great bushings, so does this really small company called Venom.

For a cruising deck I'd go with something relatively soft. Khiro makes a bushing kit that comes with like 6 different pairs of bushings of varied hardnesses - it's great for helping fine tune your ride, gives you a lot of room for experimentation.

There are trucks out there made specifically for carving, one is made by a company called Siesmic - they've got crazy springs and poo poo. I generally stay away from gimmicky things like that, but I've read some really positive reviews on them. They're also a bit more pricey than 40 bucks.

My current park board is a 8.2" Merde Deck, Indy Trucks with Bones Medium bushings, Rockin' Rons 56mm 101a Black Hole wheels and Rockin' Rons bearings.

My cruiser is a tiny Gravity deck with Tracker Darts and Rainskates 59mm 85a Orange Tsunami wheels.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bona Weiss posted:

...do you know anything about Grind King trucks?

My pleasure dude, always happy to help.

..sadly I really don't know much about them. I loved them back in the day though... are they still as light as I remember? It's also thousand times easier to carry around an allen wrench than a typical skate tool.

You could always try and whittle a set of bushings down with a razor so that they fit better, but that's a whole lot of work.

IntoTheNihil posted:

...used to skate a ton but being fat+tall ruined me.

Come on dude, that's no excuse! Checkout Bulldog Skates, they make all sorts of 10" boards and giant wheels for the big dudes. They're a bit pricey, but well worth it.

No one is too tall, fat or old to skateboard, and anyone who says otherwise is full of poo poo in my opinion. You don't have to kickflip to have fun, no flip trick in this world beats the feeling of carving up a bowl at high speed. I skate with some self described hambeasts that carve with the best of em'.

Great video link, Daewon has always been one of my top five favorite skaters of all time.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 25, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Haslam is a badass for sure, he's in the Globe - Skate and Create video which is loving awesome. His wallride to polejam in that video is insane.

I love all the Skate and Create videos, the premise is four teams of five riders have nine days in a warehouse to create something unique. Each team did an amazing job.

DVS won the little competition, but all the videos are still up on the Transworld site.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/2008/08/15/tws-skate-create-globe/

It's sort of like Jeff King's Built to Shred show (which is up on Hulu, and equally loving rad), totally reminds me of being a kid and building horrible, dangerous ramps out of scrap wood and whatever other poo poo we found lying around.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Not to mention bruised palms, those things last for weeks.

I've managed to hit the skatepark nearly every day this week, I only missed Tuesday. It feels loving great to get some exercise in before work, and being outside rolling around keeps my mind so much more alert than a typical gym workout.

The parks are nice and empty when I'm out there too, from about 7:30 to 9:00 in the morning - and not to brag, but it's a perfect 60 degrees outside. Times like these help me understand why I pay so loving much to live in Southern California.

If any goons out there wanna ride, let me know - there are some nearly empty housing developments up in the hills near Irvine that have perfectly smooth asphalt for longboarding and I'm always down to go to any of the local skateparks.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 27, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

I'm curious if it's smarter to just pick up some harder bushings instead of just tightening the poo poo out of the bolt.

Tighten them too much and you'll blow them out, I'd go pick up some new ones. Harder bushings are where it's at for flip tricks.

Moneyball posted:

Just can't seem to ollie. :smith:

Duck down real low before you try, I mean real low - almost knees to the chest. Then spring out and really loving jump. Slam your back leg down and pull it back up into your chest as fast as possible. Slide that front foot up - it doesn't have to be far - two inches from behind the front bolts is plenty high to get up most poo poo.

Practice doing it while moving, and don't do it on the carpet at first. Set up a little obstacle to get over - like a piece of pipe or a hose. Anything to help you visualize the boards movement. Rinse and repeat for a few weeks and you'll be stoked.

...but then again, you don't have to know how to ollie to have fun on a board. There are a lot of (old) dudes out there who loving rip but couldn't ollie up a curb to save their life.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 29, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
SoCalSkateShop.com ships to Canada for under 30 bucks, they've got a great selection and I've never had any troubles with them.

It's a shame you can't buy locally for a reasonable price.

Bones Black are typically called Bones Swiss (at least where I am), great bearrings but I haven't been able to find them in a shop for under 60 bucks.

I'm a pretty loyal fan of Rockin' Rons:

http://www.skatetechnology.com/rocknronsbearings.htm

His wheels loving rip too, super hard, super fast. I wouldn't ride them on the street, but they're perfect in most parks.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 3, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The new Etnies Japan 2008 video is awesome, it's up on the Blog portion of their site right now.

Sean Malto and Mikey Taylor are loving amazing, I swear Malto has god damned magnets on his feet - either he has some savant style muscle memory or he's a robot.

I would be genuinely shocked if Malto doesn't get Skater of the Year for 2009.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Sirkus posted:

Question: I'm riding the new Indy trucks with the "forged" metal and they are hella light. They're the 139 lows, will this fit a board smaller than 8"? I'm thinking of creeping down to 7 and 7/8's but I don't want the trucks to over hang and feel all wonky.

139's are perfect for 7 and 7/8ths.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

The Weird posted:

First things first, I don't have a skateboard - can anyone recommend a good starting board?

Get something fairly wide, 8.5 or so. Starting out on a toothpick is only going to lead to frustration. The type of deck itself doesn't much matter, and as mentioned in this thread a few times before.. buy locally. Even if it costs an extra 20 bucks.

Trucks don't much matter either (don't buy the lovely generic stuff), but if you're going to skate transition or want to carve you should replace your bushings with Bones mediums.

I'd start with big and soft wheels. 60mm Bones Soft Cores would be my suggestion - they'll roll smooth on the street and are big enough to give you a little extra speed in skateparks.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Kindridx posted:

8.5 is Gigantic, I have size 14 shoes and I ride a 7.5. I would recommend a 8 at the highest. Unless your a big (and by that I mean BIG) guy there is no reason for a 8.5. Wheels though yeah go with 60mm I only rode accel wheels, no idea if they are still in business. Destructo *if still around are the best trucks you will find for starting off.

Depends on the type of riding he wants to do, I guess I should have been more specific.

If you're an older guy who is not interested in flips and such and would like something to get accustomed to and/or maybe ride around in a bowl (easier on the knees) - 8.5 is the way to go.

**edit**

forums.oldmanarmy.com - Cool group of older dudes with a lot of helpful advice, mostly park/tranny junkies but you can find a couple of street skaters on there.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 7, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Minto Took posted:

e: When/How did Element "sell out?"

No idea, they've got a super loving rad team and make some seemingly honest efforts to help out the environment.

Seems like a good company in my eyes.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Politicalrancor posted:

I still have a pretty heavy world industries deck but i dont have anything but it. how much do you think it will run me to put it all back together?

drat this loving knee

You could spend up to 90 bucks if you're buying premium poo poo.

If you shop around you could probably lower that to 50 or less, if you don't mind blank wheels, trucks and bearings.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Glad you're not hurt, people can be such loving pricks.

I rolled my ankle doing a lovely little fakie 50-50 on a red curb in my apartment complex.

Haven't been able to skate for the past two weeks.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I've got some, email me at donJonSwan@gmail.com.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Keep your knees loose, learn to tic tac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fsGmqzo8c

Learning to tic tac will help build balance and get you the basics of kick turning.

If you've got a skatepark around you, go in the early morning before all the kids wake up and practice doing kick turns and going fakie. If you don't have a local skatepark you can build a little quarter pipe out of scrap wood or about 160 dollars worth of materials (it doesn't have to be huge, I've got one and I live in a tiny rear end apartment). Having someone teach you to pump is also really huge, it's hard to describe with text, but it's basically like riding a swing - using your knees to weight and un-weight your body while on the up and down swing of a transition or bowl.

While you're doing this, practice your ollies, powerslides, boneless ones, other random tricks. It might take a long time to get them down, but if you're cruising around and doing kick turns on miniature transition you'll be having fun and wont burn out on trying the same drat trick over and over again.

After a few weeks you should have the ollie down, and some solid kick turns from which you can learn things like dropping in, frontside kick turns and other fundamentals for cruising around.

It all blossoms from there.

DON'T STICK YOUR ARM OUT WHEN YOU FALL, TAKE IT TO THE SHOULDER.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 30, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Ishwoo posted:

It's annoying though because the only skateparks near me are in London (Which isn't that near at all, like a 30 minute train journey) or they're overrun by 12 year old kids with scooters or chavs :/

All you need is a curb, a small bank or a parking block to have some fun. Find a big slab of concrete or a school parking lot and have at it.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I've got a Loaded Dervish (flex 2) longboard with Orangutan for President wheels and Paris trucks. The Paris trucks had some pretty crappy stock bushings so I swapped them out for a mix of orange and blue Khiro barrels. I loving love this board.

I do have an extra Sector 9 longboard deck (I think it's 44") in great condition that I'd be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

I've also got a gently used old-school Powell re-issue with rails, Independent Trucks and nearly new G-Bones wheels that I'd be willing to part with if someone is looking for a beer cruiser or parking block assault vehicle.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I sort of saw it coming like most people I'm sure. I can understand why he went with Nike and would totally do the same if I were in his position...

...but it still kind of sucks.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

soggybagel posted:

I don't see how anyone can hate on Koston for any reason for what he did. Nor do I see how it sucks in any way.

I like smaller, skater run companies and it was cool to see someone of his stature in the industry remain relatively low-key in terms of major corporate sponsors.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
PJ S LX (PJ Ladd's shoe)from DC are amazing skate shoes, I've been wearing mine out skating for several weeks and have done only minor damage.

I also really dig Duane Peter's lowtop Draven's and Lakai's MJ2 Select.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Those are slick, I'd pick up a pair but I just bought some of the Antuan Dixon Supras.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Snap Your Fingers posted:

I've skated on and off for most of my life, but never really got past ollies and shove-its. I still gently caress around with my short board every once in a while, but I'm a snowboarder at heart, and not having edges fucks with me.

That said, has anyone tried one of these: http://www.freebord.com/main.html

The idea of being able to slide out and do big pow(concrete) slashes is so appealing, but i almost refuse to believe they work. Plus it's a huge investment.

And if these are indeed bullshit, anyone have suggestions on a longboard?

Get a Loaded Dervish, that thing looks like bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLFZcONQAs&feature=player_embedded

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

BrianBoitano posted:

I almost feel like I'm limiting myself if I get anything other than a 7.5" street board, since I know flip tricks just aren't feasible on anything else, yet I pretty much only board at the park. Is there any board that will really fly around the bowls and yet still be good for flip tricks? Is the Ceviche worth anything?

If I'm just building a 7.5" or 8", the thread seems to suggest getting a local deck, Indy trucks with Bones medium bushings, Bones red (or black??) bearings, and I have no idea what wheels would be good for my purposes.

Thanks again for the thread and for any help you can give!

For park wheels on a 8" to 8.5" board with 1/4" risers I really like the 56mm Rockin Rons Black Hole wheels, you can get them from Concrete Disciples.

I wouldn't recommend them if the concrete at your park is rough - if it is maybe some 57mm 98a Rainskate wheels (the yellow ones). Either way you're going to be stoked, I promise.

If you want to buy local and you can't find these wheels at your shop Bones SPF wheels are drat good.

...if budget isn't a concern you could always just get a second board for flatground, a 7.5 one with some 50mm wheels - Bones STF, or any set of spits.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 28, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

highme posted:

You can't really be "mongo foot" you can push "mongo" but your stance for that will change depending on whether or not you skate goofy or regular. Mongo is pushing with your front foot instead of your back foot, and if people mock you it shouldn't matter as long as you're having fun.

Exactly, gently caress it, have fun.

That said, there is no reason not to practice pushing with your back foot just to help build balance.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Tony Hawk is a legend who has done an insane amount of work to get skateparks built all over the world.

Have any of YOU skated in the White House?

:)

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I don't have any used ones, but I love my PD wrist and elbow pads.

Definitely worth the price.

mike12345, if you dug Chlorine Northwest is equally awesome. It's all about the DIY scene, focused mostly around the Portland Burnside crew.

Q-Man is pretty rad, skate army for life.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Shakey Shake posted:

I know that there was talk about longboarding a few pages back, but The Blue Suit Bombers are so bad rear end that if this was linked before it needs to be done again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4vUa_ndqUA
The speed they pick up straight away is insane and the way they move the camera between each other while keeping the shot is as well.

Totally agree, I've got this linked as the longboarding video in the OP.

Those guys are loving insane.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Paul Rodriguez is a loving beast.

His new commercial for Nike SB is pretty drat good too.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Yeah, that's definitely Lance Mountain.

I think the other cop is an old-schooler too, I just can't think of his name for the life of me.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Bern Helmets are my favorite, they're lightweight and look good.

I've got the Macon.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
What's a soccer flip?

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Really liking Josiah Gatlyn's Recruit edit that just went up on Berrics
http://theberrics.com/dailyopspost.php?postid=1217

That is a pretty rad part. I just got home from a drat good session. The usual spot I skate was blown out, loads of cars everywhere and a bunch of people there. I think it was some sort of graduation.

So instead of heading back to my apartment complex to session the same ol' parking block my friend and I just got on our boards and took off.

First spot was a really fun parking garage, two really nice manny pads and a decent enough incline to do some pretty fast carving. From there we found a little gap to minuscule dirt trail. Ate poo poo on that, but had fun with it regardless.

Next was a tiny set of stairs (my old knees can't do much more than 3 or 4 jumps). From the stairs I spotted a big rock statue that was like a really rough bank, we didn't stay at the bank long because there was a security guard lurkin. Beat rear end tired I remembered a church parking lot down the street having some janky rear end quarter pipes in the parking lot so we got in the car and drove that way.

We got to the church and it was totally empty, the ramps were pretty hosed up - but still a whole lot of fun. We skated until we were ready to pass out. I was totally expecting to get kicked out, but no one said a word. We'll be going back there for sure. Next time I'll bring a camera and snap some shots.

Since I started skating again regularly I've spent most of my time in parks, or at the same school hitting up the exact same things. Today reminded me how much fun it can be to just get on the loving board and explore.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 3, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Flea606 posted:

I have absolutely no idea where to start other then saying that I really liked her board but maybe would like it if it had a sharper turn?

Hey Flea, that's awesome you're getting into it dude. Longboarding is all sorts of fun.

My recommendation based on the size of your girlfriends board is a Loaded Vanguard or a Loaded Dervish.

I'm partial to these boards because they've got a narrow nose and tail letting the wheels cut up above the board allowing for a real deep carve. They've got a lot of flex to them so you'll need to do a little research into the brand so you can get the right type depending on your weight.

Look around your local shops and see if they've got any boards you can try out. Worse case scenario is that they'll only let you stand on them inside the shop - but at least you'd get a feel for the flex and such.

Shorty is totally right though, you can change the feel of any board by loosening the trucks or changing the bushings out. My current longboard setup is a Loaded Dervish with Paris Trucks and Khiro Orange and Blue barrel bushings.

SilverfishLongboarding.com is pretty much the goto site for Longboards, head over that way if you really want to geek out over the particulars.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
A deck lasts me about 3 months, which seems average among my friends who skate a lot (for old men).

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I ride 75mm 80a Orangatang In Heat wheels.

I love them, but since a lot of the pavement I'm on is smooth a part of me wishes I had the 83a's just for a bit more speed.

They roll forever, I can get around by just pumping without having to put my foot down at all.

http://www.orangatangwheels.com/

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Shortymrbig posted:

All I really wanna do is cruise. Should I skip this learning to street skate and move to a long board? All this talk about not eating a face full of street rolling over a rock seems alot better then eating a face full of street from trying to avoid a rock, but only to run over a smaller rock in the process.

You're going to eat poo poo regardless of the type of board you're riding.

Bigger wheels can roll over rocks some rocks, sure, but they typically go on a bigger board. Which means they can be more difficult to maneuver around posts, dogs, people or whatever.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'm totally for creating more skateparks, but the efforts for 'legalization' of what is essentially vandalism is a bit much and will get you nothing but grief from anyone in a position of power.

There are a lot of really good ways to get attention from your local city council, but honestly an online petition isn't going to be one of them.

You need real life signatures, as well as a noticeable presence in your local city council meetings. Also, there is no real need to recreate the wheel here, there are dozens of online resources out there to help you get a grassroots skatepark campaign underway.

Not trying to bum you out or anything, but it really looks like you need to do a lot more research before moving forward.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

shark week posted:

Hoooooooooooooooly poo poo Cole vs Busenitz

Dude, seriously.

It's going to be hard for the finale to beat that poo poo, I'm still in shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

link50 posted:

So I just broke my new Girl deck that I literally bought a week ago doing a flatground heelflip. Skateboarding is an expensive sport. Anyone have any tips on which decks are the most durable? I don't want to go through this again.

Land bolts, yo.

:(

Sorry though, that does suck. Real boasts some unique construction methods that's supposedly stronger than average.