Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

I just got into skating again after not touching a board for five years. I bought a Real deck last month (with an awesome Ouija graphic but that's mostly gone now), 56mms, and my old Grind King 6's. I was never that good years ago, but I was also a teenager and afraid to really try anything that could harm me. Now though, that risk is invigorating and it makes skateboarding such a high.

I'd heard that lighter trucks and wheels will help your tricks but I sort of always dismissed it as an excuse people use, tonight though I swapped my 56mms for 50s and the difference was incredible.

As the OP mentioned, it's a great full body workout; it gets my heart racing like nothing else. Sitting at work, the question in the back of my mind all day is 'wonder what I'll land tonight?' It's all about baby steps, and each baby step feels like a major accomplishment. There's such a reward factor to keeping at it.

Now that I'm done gushing about the sport: I'm looking to put together a deck intended only for cruising, as I don't want to switch my wheels everytime I have a different agenda. What's a great set of cruising trucks ideally $40 or below? My cruising deck is 8.12" w/ 56mm wheels.

Dr. Jack Griffin fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

I ride Independent trucks almost exclusively, but I hate their stock bushings - I always replace them with a set of Bones Medium's - you can get a set from any skate shop. Khiro also makes great bushings, so does this really small company called Venom.
Thanks for all the help! Say, do you know anything about Grind King trucks? I seem to be the only person I know with a set of G6's, and they're notoriously picky about the bushings that will fit in them. I'd love to try the Bones Hardcore but my local skateshop says they won't fit. My stock Grind Kings bushings blew out, I have Do-Dos in there now but they could be better and they spill over the sides, and I'm about to try some 'Grind King Killer Kush' but I don't know and can't find anything about them.

I am however about to order some Indy 139's and Khiros for my cruiser based on your suggestions. Thanks again!

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

My pleasure dude, always happy to help.

..sadly I really don't know much about them. I loved them back in the day though... are they still as light as I remember? It's also thousand times easier to carry around an allen wrench than a typical skate tool.

You could always try and whittle a set of bushings down with a razor so that they fit better, but that's a whole lot of work.
My Grind Kings are from around '99, they were used for 10 years on and off which says something about their durability. They're also as light as a feather!

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

Rick posted:

Mostly unhurt. I didn't need that skin on my palm anyway.
Ooh, seriously - try not to do this. Landing on your hands is how you break wrists. Try to tuck your arms in to absorb impact with your shoulder and roll. Recently I had to throw my hands out to catch myself on some steps; the pain just shot up my arms and into my spine. Then I remembered why you don't do that.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

I've already bought myself two complete decks in the past few months, but I saw this last night and had to get it.

Brand new, still in it's plastic; too nostalgic to pass up.

Now my inner debate is whether to ride it or hang it up.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I'll be really angry if you destroy that!
Yea, thinking about it I will too. On the wall it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

Two questions:

Can anybody give me some pointers on a kickflip? I'm sure that I'm making an error in my foot placement or angle in which I flick the board, because it will flip edge over edge but consistently lands at a 90 degree angle. I've browsed the Youtbe how-to videos and read the pointers, but I somehow keep kicking the board to an angle. Perhaps there is a well-known common mistake I'm making?

Secondly, what's a good skateboarding forum with maybe a slightly older or less ADD inflicted user base? I'd love to find a site in which the threads read like this one, as opposed to what I keep finding which is:

quote:

Hey guys how do i do a pop shove it down stairs i can do two now maybe three but i keep falling.
_____

You can't do a pop shuvit haha that sucks I could do that when I was like 10

_____

Rodney mullen does a killer nollie shuvit to nose manual in video X

_____

mullen is a fag Jamie thomas is the king he can kick mullens rear end

Maybe I've just been lurking the wrong forums?