Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

doctor thodt posted:

Best cameo: Jimmy Johnson or Andre Benjamin?

gently caress you. Carl Weathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Andre and Weathers were characters in the show, I wouldn't consider them cameos. Johnson wins for being so drat random.

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

TUS posted:

I can't think of a single episode that sticks out. Everything was great for its own reason. One thing that does stick out is the song selection. They made "Bawitdaba" sound bad-rear end. And I always get teary-eyed when "Overcome" comes on.

The powerful ending of the episode I posted about above is so because of the use of Disarm

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009
Been meaning to check this out for the longer time. Looks like another visit to the DVD rental store.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Joe Don Baker posted:

One of many favorite moments:

Vic: "Her pussy tasted like sweet buttah."

I guess you could say he was hungry. Like the wolf.

I think the best episode was the finale but the best moment was probably the Disarm montage.

Aside from that, it really was amazing how they could make lovely music (Kid Rock, Coldplay) work.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

thingfromtheswamp posted:

Been meaning to check this out for the longer time. Looks like another visit to the DVD rental store.

It's worth buying.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
How would you guys rank the seasons...for me it's easily

7>6>5>4=3>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1

Season 1 was easily the worst season, and pretty bad when you compare it to later seasons. The episodic structure didn't really work for me, and there were tons of corny poo poo happening (Vic dressing up as a gang member was just stupid)....but I'm glad every season after that has been the best television I've seen second to The Wire of course.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5 > 7 > 6 > 4 = 3 > 2 = 1

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
5 > 7 > 4 = 3 > 2 > 6 > 1

6 loses a lot of points for how slow it was comparitively, and also for that whole stupid bit with shane locking vic's family in a shipping crate. you could make an argument to justify his actions but really in that whole bit no character was making realistic decisions at all, and it was the first time in the show I could ever say that.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
My favorite aspect of this show is how Mackey is always spinning so many different wheels at once. And making so many different plays. I swear the guy is like Batman. When DC rebooted JLA v3 they started rewriting Batman as this kind of strategic genius rear end in a top hat. The kind of guy who secretly develops special plans to kill all his team mates just in case they ever go bad or get mind controlled. Even though he was the only normal human on the team Superman called him the most dangerous man on earth because he could out think everyone. He's got this genius level strategic mind that thinks 12 steps ahead of everyone else. His backup plans have backup plans. Watching the show Mackey reminded me a lot of that characterization of Batman. The intricate plots and plans that he comes up with and the way he uses them to just barely squirrel his way out of trouble time after time when it always seems like his enemies have him dead to rights is just an absolute joy to behold.

On another note you Wire/Shield/Sopranos/BSG virgins are freaking lucky as all hell. You can grab some 2-liters, a couple bags of chips and just marathon the entire runs of what is easily some of the greatest television in the history of television.

When you think about it, it's a pretty amazing time we live in in terms of great tv. We've really had a string of shows that top the charts of tv history. After you're done with the above don't forget Deadwood, Carnivale, and Rome.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 27, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm re-watching the show after reading this thread, and I just hit another good Vic line:

"You know how these rich pricks are. He's probably in his face snorkel-deep in some broad's snatch."

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 27, 2009

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 164 days!

Remulak posted:

So post endorsements tell me if this show remains awesome or if it sags in the middle or whatever. Let's get people watching this poo poo if they haven't already.

I have good news for you man. Although I thought the 4th season was(relatively) slow in places, in general the first season, as good as it is, is the weakest. Only the episode where They steal the Armenian's coke, which gets stolen from Shane when his SUV gets boosted and the last two episodes of the season really approach the greatness of later seasons. After the first season, the A-stories (and sometimes B-stories) are much more arc-oriented. Everyone has their own opinion about which season is best, but as far as I'm concerned, it hardly peters out, if anything, it gets better and better. Definitely an all-time great, and the ONLY show to date to last exactly as long as it should, neither being canceled early nor wearing out its welcome. The Wire also qualifies, though I have to take off a couple points for a truncated last season. It also, along with The Wire, is pretty much the only show to NEVER have a BAD episode. I'm sure if you worked an interest-dial through every episode to measure your overall satisfaction some would certainly score lower than others, but unlike almost every longish-running show I like, there are no "crap" episodes.

Fiendish_Ghoul fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 27, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Realism posted:

How would you guys rank the seasons...for me it's easily

7>6>5>4=3>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1

Season 1 was easily the worst season, and pretty bad when you compare it to later seasons. The episodic structure didn't really work for me, and there were tons of corny poo poo happening (Vic dressing up as a gang member was just stupid)....but I'm glad every season after that has been the best television I've seen second to The Wire of course.

Eh, I think you're looking at S1 the wrong way. It was a primer and an introduction to the world of the Strike Team and Farmington.

What I really love about The Shield is that it seems like every action had consequences, and there really was no "character of the week that disappears forever" aside from the first season. I realized this when Margos returned. I thought nothing of him when he first appeared, he just seemed like a quirky "criminal of the week with a funny fetish," then all of the sudden a few years later he returns. It's like, hey, continuity! poo poo matters on this show!

The only complaint I suppose I have about the series is how Julien's gay storyline and character development kind of vanished and was relegated to lines here and there.

Ranking seasons I guess I'd go with The Walrus' ranking. 6 felt like a bridge from season 5 to season 7.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 13, 2009

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I just finished the series last night. No more Shield :( Great run though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Halfway through season 2. Started slow, but when it got going drat. It was nice to see Shane doing something competent, I was beginning to wonder how the gently caress he got as far as he did.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There's only one reason I'd suggest you not watch The Shield in its entirety, immediately: the ending is so satisfying it will ruin other great shows for you. I was OK with the way The Sopranos ended, and I wasn't expecting fireworks from The Wire; the ending of Deadwood was disappointing but for reasons beyond its control. But after seeing how perfectly The Shield wrapped virtually every major character and plot thread up in a way that didn't seem contrived, I expect more now. BSG would've been a let-down anyway, but after The Shield showed how well it could be done, BSG's final season made me lose a huge amount of respect for the show.

Commencing a rewatch.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Bump because I'm in season 4 now. Except for a lul at the beginning of season 2 it's been terrific.

BUT they changed from film to video with this season, and the direction seems to be a lot more conventional. Anybody else notice this?

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Remulak posted:

Bump because I'm in season 4 now. Except for a lul at the beginning of season 2 it's been terrific.

BUT they changed from film to video with this season, and the direction seems to be a lot more conventional. Anybody else notice this?

They didn't go from film to video, they went from 35mm in season 1 to 16mm in every subsequent season. It was pretty jarring for me, too. Also, the first season has a significantly warmer palette than all the others so when I watch the first, it's always a bit of a surprise.

Plus, by the fourth season, they pretty much have their style down and stick with it. It gets dirtier again later on, though. And seriously, you're in the area where the show gets so goddamn good it practically stops mattering.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pigma_Micron posted:

They didn't go from film to video, they went from 35mm in season 1 to 16mm in every subsequent season....
The first 3 episodes of season 4 are clearly shot on video; not only is it clearly 30fps interlace but they even had some lovely auto white balance stuff going on in the first episode. I think this was intentional but it looked horrible and made my wife complain that she wanted a new tv....

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I almost never wanted to watch season 7 just so I could still have it that it never ended.

The Shield is without a doubt the best show I've ever seen. From season 4 on it was literally can't miss TV. They seemingly nail everything. I think what they did best was the guest characters like Glen Close Anthony Anderson Forrest Whitaker and Andre 3000.

I'd go as far as saying Whitaker's role in seasons 5-6 might be the best performed role in TV history. Every time he was on the screen after the introduction moments you were glued to it almost not being able to breathe. His role was perfectly written, and he matched it with the acting.

As far as seasons I'd say 5>>>>7>4>>>>2>1>3>6.

5 was without a doubt the best...I think 4 overall was drat good but the last 2 episodes of the series are just too much to ignore. I liked 2 1 and 3, but 5 7 and 4 were so much better it's ridiculous. 6 was okay but kind of eh. Hyatt's role felt forced, and besides the Whitaker / Chiklis centered episodes, it was really just a wrap up of season 5 and prelude of season 6, it didn't really have an identity of its own.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Big rear end Spoilers:
The only complaint I suppose I have about the series is how Julien's gay storyline and character development kind of vanished and was relegated to lines here and there.

More Spoilers:
His storyline kinda petered out after he got married and tried to have kids, but I thought it was great they brought him into the strike team in the later seasons.
The creator, Shawn Ryan, talked about the last episode and mentioned the reason they didn't bring up Julien's homosexuality that much anymore was it took years for repressed gays to come out. One of the last scenes of the show is Julien glancing at his ex while driving by, pretty much saying,"Yeah he's still gay."

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

King of Spit posted:

5 was without a doubt the best...I think 4 overall was drat good but the last 2 episodes of the series are just too much to ignore. I liked 2 1 and 3, but 5 7 and 4 were so much better it's ridiculous. 6 was okay but kind of eh. Hyatt's role felt forced, and besides the Whitaker / Chiklis centered episodes, it was really just a wrap up of season 5 and prelude of season 6, it didn't really have an identity of its own.

Rewartching recently, it seemed like 3 and 6 were very similar -- none of their storylines were among my favorite to watch at the time, but they nearly all paid off by the end of the series. Weren't bad or "filler" by any means, but it was stuff that had to be gotten out of the way so more badass stuff could happen later.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Recently found myself with some free time and decided to start watching the show to see what all the fuss was about, only halfway through season 1 and I'm really enjoying it. If you guys are telling the truth and it was actually the worst season of the bunch I expect I'll be very happy in coming days.

JIR499
Jul 29, 2008

Korhal posted:

Recently found myself with some free time and decided to start watching the show to see what all the fuss was about, only halfway through season 1 and I'm really enjoying it. If you guys are telling the truth and it was actually the worst season of the bunch I expect I'll be very happy in coming days.

It's not even that season 1 was bad. It's just that the show was still finding its feet.

I thought it was just some dumb cable cop show (the ads I saw were like "Has McBane finally gone TOO FAR?!?"). Then I saw Glen Close (!) was joining the cast. Season four was my intro. In a way, it actually made it more compelling to me. There was so much unexplained, that came out in drib and drabs -- where is all this tension coming from?

JIR499 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 30, 2009

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I thought season 3 was fine - it had a few major moments and continued the money train story from s2 very satisfactorily.

6 was a transition season, but it was also the first season I watched on TV, which might be what annoyed me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Now only 20 minutes into season 5 and Holy poo poo it keeps getting better. To continue the film/video notes that interest nobody but me, I looked back at the start of 4. The first one was mostly video, but some film, and they cut in occasional video segments in the next few episodes but they were graded to look like film. There's also a video segment at the start of S5e1 when vic talks to the oval office ci that's jarring, it wasn't even graded to match the rest of the footage.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Remulak posted:

Now only 20 minutes into season 5 and Holy poo poo it keeps getting better. To continue the film/video notes that interest nobody but me, I looked back at the start of 4. The first one was mostly video, but some film, and they cut in occasional video segments in the next few episodes but they were graded to look like film. There's also a video segment at the start of S5e1 when vic talks to the oval office ci that's jarring, it wasn't even graded to match the rest of the footage.

I actually went back to check it out and I honestly don't see it. The only thing I can think of is that you're mistaking them going into 30fps for when there are monitors in the scene for video.

I tried googleing and, comically, the most relevant thing I can find is another discussion just like this one on another forum.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pigma_Micron posted:

I actually went back to check it out and I honestly don't see it. The only thing I can think of is that you're mistaking them going into 30fps for when there are monitors in the scene for video.

I tried googleing and, comically, the most relevant thing I can find is another discussion just like this one on another forum.

Just watch that one scene in s5e1, it's glaringly different. There's also one scene in s4e1 where there's an obvious auto white balance adjustment; that's what drove me down this obsessional rathole.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

There's only one reason I'd suggest you not watch The Shield in its entirety, immediately: the ending is so satisfying it will ruin other great shows for you. I was OK with the way The Sopranos ended, and I wasn't expecting fireworks from The Wire; the ending of Deadwood was disappointing but for reasons beyond its control. But after seeing how perfectly The Shield wrapped virtually every major character and plot thread up in a way that didn't seem contrived, I expect more now. BSG would've been a let-down anyway, but after The Shield showed how well it could be done, BSG's final season made me lose a huge amount of respect for the show.

Yes, I can't think of any other show of this length that wraps up things as neatly and in such a satisfying way as The Shield.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
I'm up to season 5. It's a pretty good show, but a lot more easy-going than The Wire, and I'm nowhere near as caught up in it. I haven't yet felt the urge to stay up to a ridiculous hour in order to finish off a season, at least.

Idi Amin just flipped out and started throwing poo poo about, that was pretty cool.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I consider The Wire the best show ever, but The Shield might just be my favourite. I can't think of any other show that in general keeps getting better and better, has zero BAD episodes and a completely satisfying ending.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh man, The Shield.

Yeah, it's easily among the top five shows for me. Only shows that I'd maybe put above it are Sopranos and BSG. And with the lovely finale that's a big MAYBE on BSG. I don't want to compare it directly to other shows like the Wire though, they are excellent in different ways. Out of every protagonist though, Vic Mackey is easily my number one favorite, though. And I don't mean that I like him as a person, because he truly is a bad guy.

Derv1sh
May 24, 2005

Oh, come on, don’t leave your Uncle Teabag hanging
I absolutely love this show, second only to the Wire in my favourites over the last few years. I've had the seies finale recorded since xmas but I haven't watched it for some reason. I really need to.

One of the best scenes from the show has to be from the penultimate episode where Vic confesses to everything in front of the other agency with Claudette and Dutch looking on. Their faces are priceless and underline why it's such a brilliant show.

Jesus, I need to watch it all again.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Dutch is one of the more underrated characters in TV history. Everyone on this show had layers, but Dutch was such a goddamn fascinating character. He starts off by loving up the case with the girl who has her arm cut off, is pestered by Vic, strangles a cat that annoys him, has all sorts of women troubles, finally nabs that psycho kid, and all sorts of other things. He really gave a poo poo about the cases he pursued.

Plus he's hungry. Like the wolf.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh, and anyone who likes the Shield and isn't watching Sons of Anarchy is doing themselves a disservice.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Oh, and anyone who likes the Shield and isn't watching Sons of Anarchy is doing themselves a disservice.

Is it good? I'm planning to finish The Shield first.

I just finished season two of The Shield and I'm absolutely hooked. And if it only gets better then gently caress yeah, I picked the right show to binge on.

7 seasons too!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

doctor thodt posted:

How about Vic stabbing the kid with the pin on the police badge heh heh

You forgot the best part of that scene. Claudette coming on-scene, the kid half crying half screaming at her about what Vic did, and her just deadpanning "You look fine to me"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I've picked up this series and I'm going through Season One at the moment. I'm loving it. It's a pretty bold show. I was watching the "Cherrypoppers" episode the other night and I was pretty shocked with how far it went. I seriously had a "Am I really seeing this?" moment when Vic went undercover in the brothel. Also, his face at the end of that scene was the perfect murder-face. You could tell that he wanted to just strangle every motherfucker in that joint.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I got an email from Amazon this morning that they've got the DVD's of Seasons 1 through 6 for $19.99 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Season 7 is due for a region 2 release any day now. We've always been lagging behind ridiculously and I've never been able to watch it on TV because I'd always miss an episode or whatever. Looking forward to finally finishing this.

• Locked thread