Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

metachronos posted:

Kinda funny that Anthony Andersen is on Law & Order now because he's good at playing a huge loving prick in Season 4

I always thought Anderson was kind of a dork but my opinion of him did a 180 there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Telamon posted:

I always thought Anderson was kind of a dork but my opinion of him did a 180 there.

I agree. I never thought of him as a capable method actor until now.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
6x04 :smith: lem's package of books he sent to himself :smith:

oh man the poo poo is gettin reaaall....MACKEY STARES INTENSELY AT SHANE: "...I WILL KILL YOU"

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 21, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

One of many favorite moments:

Vic: "Her pussy tasted like sweet buttah."

Haha, I just got to this episode. Epic moment. Season Five is the poo poo. :)

EDIT: Oh God, I just finished Season Five. I knew Shane was going to kill Lem when they met up, but I didn't know he was going to use a motherfucking hand grenade to do it. What a bitch move. :smith:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 21, 2009

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
6x09 omfg the acevedarape picture is out jesus christ........also, franka potente does a (most likely) terrible Armenian accent

in 6x10, why in the gently caress did shane decide to hide corrine and cassidy by locking them in the back of a truck at an abandoned warehouse? did he really think that was the best method of keeping someone safe?

did anyone else notice that sofer's kid is named lee and shane's kid is named jackson? both actors are southern and both their kids have the same names as confederate generals?

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2009

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
S5

The 511 documentary was interesting. The actors, especially Shane and Lem really seem like there characters. Lem also seems to cry in every interview he's in.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
S7 is pretty good so far but the whole Pezuela story arc feels really manufactured/forced

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Leviathan posted:

S7 is pretty good so far but the whole Pezuela story arc feels really manufactured/forced

I can see where that's coming from, but do not worry about it at all. You're not going to care.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
:iceburn:"you said goodbye to them the moment you shot another cop in the face":iceburn:

goddammit shane, i was so pissed as soon as he said family meeting....but i thought he was at least gonna let Jackson live, what a bastard....also it's pretty obvious vic is gonna kill ronnie (i think)...ehh or maybe not...but man, that finale was loving awesome

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 24, 2009

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Leviathan posted:

It feels convoluted but the strength of this show will be that it doesn't lose it's way at the exact moment you think it will

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Leviathan posted:

:iceburn:"you said goodbye to them the moment you shot another cop in the face":iceburn:

Vic's face after she said that was brilliant

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Ha ha, holy poo poo! Episode 609 The Aceveda dick sucking photo returns! To think it would come back in Vic Mackey's hands is crazy! Season Six is underrated.

Also, Billings is a shitheel. :mad:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

Also, Billings is a shitheel. :mad:

Yeah, when I rewatched the series it was weird because I'd forgotten there was a few episodes after Billings is introduced (S4?) when he's just another vaguely incompetent suit before they turn him into the craven buffoon we know and love.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Well, I finally finished The Shield. I knew the final episode was going to be epic. What I didn't expect was that it was going to be crushingly depressing. Yeah, Vic got what he deserved and all things considered he got off light. Still, Ronnie gets shafted, Shane offing himself and taking his family with him, Claudette revealing that she's terminally ill. I mean, goddamn, how big a bummer can they make it? Regardless, what I think was the best part was how they effectively made Vic a character you can comfortably hate all over again. The show started off with Vic clearly being a bad apple, but as it progressed he became more and more sympathetic so in order to make the finale more effective you have to hate him all over again and the most effective thing they did was simply make him come out and talk about it all and it worked perfectly. Epic series. I'm sad that it's over though. I know there are only so many series out there that are that good and it's going to be hard to find another series this good to binge on.

Thanks for suggesting this to me everyone. I'm very, very happy with what I got. :)

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
season 3 was pretty brutal all round

Vic semi drowns a guy in a barrel of oil to get info on an albanian king pin

Albanian's cutting motherfucking feet off

The strike team setting up the Irish guy, getting him killed by the albanians, and then covering their tracks by burning his body in a furnace

Oh poo poo this has been the best season so far and I'm only just up to 4 now!

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Did anyone else hate Army as much as I did? He didn't really add much to the show. It always seemed like he was boring and on the periphery most of the time.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think we were supposed to like him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think the only purpose he was around was because he was somehow more pathetic than Shane

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

metachronos posted:

Did anyone else hate Army as much as I did? He didn't really add much to the show. It always seemed like he was boring and on the periphery most of the time.

His importance doesn't really come into play until much later into the season, but when it does it becomes pretty clear that you're not supposed to like him. Still, how is he any better than Shane or Vic? The bottom line is that he's all about looking out for number one.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Macrame_God posted:

His importance doesn't really come into play until much later into the season, but when it does it becomes pretty clear that you're not supposed to like him. Still, how is he any better than Shane or Vic? The bottom line is that he's all about looking out for number one.

To me he showed that even when given the chance to make a clean break from Vic and the strike team Shane was still a rotten apple. From memory Army was very reluctant to get involved with Antwon at all, but Shane as the senior partner pressured him into it. Army clearly got in way over his head, and had Lem not persuaded Army not to take the lie detector test Army would have cracked and the strike team would have ended right then at the end of the 4th season. Lem and Ronnie could've moved on to another district while Shane and Vic get shanked by Los Mags and 1-9ers in jail.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

metachronos posted:

He's a pretty important character to the series. His sidekick relationship with Shane is supposed to mirror the Vic/Shane relationship and show how horrible Shane is at trying to be Vic. He's also the reason the strike team gets back together. Army is basically a smarter version of Shane. If shane had left Vic years ago the way Army leaves then everyone would be better off, but instead Shane adopts this "all for one" poo poo that Vic constantly feeds him and everyone else. If the audience didn't have such a strong attachment to the strike team they'd probably like Army more for what hes able to do. But thats how the show works...you end up liking the bad guys more.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Jesus christ, I'm not even 20 minutes into S5 and I already hate Kavanaugh

Freley
May 19, 2009
S7 Spoilers

Why didn't Vic tell Ronnie he was going to make the deal with ICE before he went to the meeting, then been all "Oh and I tipped Ronnie off so he's on the run now" when he was making his confession?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Freley posted:

S7 Spoilers

Why didn't Vic tell Ronnie he was going to make the deal with ICE before he went to the meeting, then been all "Oh and I tipped Ronnie off so he's on the run now" when he was making his confession?

The deal would have been off and he most certainly would be going to prison since Wyms and Dutch finally got him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

metachronos posted:

I wish he got more screentime, I actually did kind of like him.

Freley
May 19, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

The deal would have been off and he most certainly would be going to prison since Wyms and Dutch finally got him.

But wouldn't the immunity deal cover tipping him off?

AlsoI couldn't take Army seriously since I kept seeing him as his character in Observe and Report

Mr Hairs
Jan 5, 2006
Sandy loaming war-priest body remover

Freley posted:

S7 Spoilers

Vic tells Olivia that he needs Ronnie's help to take down Beltran, as Ronnie's status as an actual cop was part of what helped him get Beltran's trust. If Vic had started meeting Beltran without Ronnie in tow then Beltran may have started to get suspicious.

Freley
May 19, 2009
Ok another stupid hypothetical:

In the final episode when Vic & Ronnie are looking for Beltran Vic smashes a Mexican gang dudes head into a glass case full of snakes and holds it in there until he gets bit a few times, this happened after his deal, wouldn't Ronnie tell ICE or whoever about this to get Vic done for assault, getting him canned from ICE, violating his deal and putting him in a cell right beside him? Hell he'd probably be able to cut a pretty sweet deal to get Vic.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think the deal applies only to crimes done before it. He'd go to prison for assault, but since the crime happened after the deal, he did not violate it?

Freley
May 19, 2009
I was under the impression that he has to work for ICE for 3 years as part of the deal or else the whole thing is void

Tommy Tighthole
Aug 19, 2008
Just finished the series. Now, as a Lost fan that has been there since the beginning, I feel the aggravation you original viewers must have gone through. At the end of each episode, the thought of waiting a week, or drat, a few months...No, that shits sucks even thinking about it. Now, my only question is Why did it take the writers until season 7 to give Ronnie lines?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Does Ronnie remind anyone else of Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? When he grows the same beard Charlie has, and repeatedly makes similar facial expressions, it is a odd semblance.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Finished season 5 Poor Lem :(

I think it's a testament to the writers of the show and the actors that even though Kavanaugh could be looked at as the good guy, I hate him with a passion and want nothing more than for him to die a slow, painful death.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch anything with forest whitaker in it without flying into a rage

I blame him for Lem's death, even if shane was the one who actually did it

EDIT: Emolia has the most irritating voice ever, goddamn.

metachronos fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 16, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

whats_his_face posted:

Just finished the series. Now, as a Lost fan that has been there since the beginning, I feel the aggravation you original viewers must have gone through. At the end of each episode, the thought of waiting a week, or drat, a few months...No, that shits sucks even thinking about it. Now, my only question is Why did it take the writers until season 7 to give Ronnie lines?

Because he was never really important until then

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

metachronos posted:

This a thousand times over :(. Just finished as well. Can't wait for season 6 to start for me tomorrow but jesus :(

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

metachronos posted:

I think it's a testament to the writers of the show and the actors that even though Kavanaugh could be looked at as the good guy, I hate him with a passion and want nothing more than for him to die a slow, painful death.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch anything with forest whitaker in it without flying into a rage

In the season five DVDs Shawn Ryan said he was genuinely surprised that Kavanaugh was so disliked by the fans. If I remember correctly he figured 80 percent of the fans would be rooting for him and 20 percent would be rooting against him.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BrandonGK posted:

In the season five DVDs Shawn Ryan said he was genuinely surprised that Kavanaugh was so disliked by the fans. If I remember correctly he figured 80 percent of the fans would be rooting for him and 20 percent would be rooting against him.

Wow was he wrong. When Vic hosed his wife it was the greatest moment for me during a TV show in a long time. Also when he called his wife a psycho. No way could I be in Vic's shoes and keep my cool, but then again, who could?

Also Season 5 I thought the acting that Forest Whitaker did in the scene in the interrogation room with his wife, and then when he caught Vic and Lem watching was loving phenomenal.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

bows1 posted:

This a thousand times over :(. Just finished as well. Can't wait for season 6 to start for me tomorrow but jesus :(

Well I watched all of season 6 today. Season 7 tomorrow :woop:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
word of caution to those binging through this show...when it ends you're never going to hold cop shows to low standards again. Between this and The Wire nobody is ever going to come up with a cop show as riveting for at least 5 years. The only thing that may ease the sting of this loss is Sons of Anarchy, by Shield writer Kurt Sutter.

Sons of Anarchy Season 2 trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJduf5aKkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dead Snoopy posted:

word of caution to those binging through this show...when it ends you're never going to hold cop shows to low standards again. Between this and The Wire nobody is ever going to come up with a cop show as riveting for at least 5 years. The only thing that may ease the sting of this loss is Sons of Anarchy, by Shield writer Kurt Sutter.

Sons of Anarchy Season 2 trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJduf5aKkA

That trailer was crazy awesome and now I'm pissed I have to wait six weeks for it.

haha, I *thought* that was Henry Rollins.

Anyway, yes, if you love The Shield, you will love Sons of Anarchy.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2009

• Locked thread