Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

TUS posted:

Haha, I agree in theory... but you'd be vastly confused as to why Holland "Dutch" Wagenbaugh is suddenly some evil, stalkerish federal agent and Curtis "Lem(onhead)" Lemanski has only been on for like 20 seconds so far.

I saw SoA first and then binged on the Shield and it did take me a few episodes to let go of my first impressions of the guy who played Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I just finished the first two seasons and I'm really enjoying it, but I do have one minor nitpick. It does feel a little sloppily directed at time with mouths not moving during audible lines, boom mics in shot, continuity between cuts etc.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Screenshot a boom mic in the shot if you can, I'd love to see this

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There is a couple shots in season 1 that come to mind. Also in Season 1 when the strike team kidnaps the basketball player there is a scene when the players random hook up chick walks in to motel room and due to the framing/blocking of the scene you see out the motel door and there is a bunch of lighting rigs and chairs and stuff visible and it looks like they even might have a monitor with a hood on it and what not.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Here are some of the more obvious ones I've noticed watching s1+s2 for the first time. The last one cracks me up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJlw0YPCldc&fmt=18

Now, onward to season 3!

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
gently caress you shane, thats all i got to say.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

I just finished the first two seasons and I'm really enjoying it, but I do have one minor nitpick. It does feel a little sloppily directed at time with mouths not moving during audible lines, boom mics in shot, continuity between cuts etc.

That's because the show was shot for a 4:3 aspect ratio and the dvds are all 16:9. All of the stuff that was initially cut out of the frame has turned up again. Shawn Ryan said the show was meant to be a 4:3 show even though the dvds clearly are not.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

SneakySneaks posted:

That's because the show was shot for a 4:3 aspect ratio and the dvds are all 16:9. All of the stuff that was initially cut out of the frame has turned up again. Shawn Ryan said the show was meant to be a 4:3 show even though the dvds clearly are not.

I totally forgot about that fact. It is interesting too that (and I previously owned them) that the original I think first two seasons released on DVD were full frame but now on the re-release they're all widescreen.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
:woop: Walton Goggins is in Predators :woop:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think all of the original DVDs were 4:3, since that was what Shawn Ryan wanted it to be, but the Sony re-releases are in 16:9.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
For those of you who have finished the series:

This may just be a personal interpretation, but did Ronnie symbolically represent the audience of the show? We went along for the ride and rooted for Vic like Ronnie did. And in the end, Ronnie didn't get to walk away clean. Vic gets free from his purgatory/hell/jail in three years, Ronnie has a lifetime of punishment for his crime, like us viewers, who rooted for Vic.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

overtone posted:

This may just be a personal interpretation, but did Ronnie symbolically represent the audience of the show? We went along for the ride and rooted for Vic like Ronnie did. And in the end, Ronnie didn't get to walk away clean. Vic gets free from his purgatory/hell/jail in three years, Ronnie has a lifetime of punishment for his crime, like us viewers, who rooted for Vic.

I don't see it, and think maybe you are reading a bit to much into it but if it works for you then go with it. :)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

I think all of the original DVDs were 4:3, since that was what Shawn Ryan wanted it to be, but the Sony re-releases are in 16:9.

It's only ever been available in 16:9 outside the US, and that's how it aired on TV here too. A quick google search says Season 4 onwards aired on FX letterboxed as well, and strangely one episode is in widescreen on the original 4:3 US DVD, as are all deleted scenes in the original releases. It's not as though they couldn't see the whole frame.

Still, whether or not it was intended 16:9, that's what they've released, with errors and all.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 16, 2010

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

overtone posted:

We wish

Ronnie was the most pleasant surprise - he went from being the ongoing joke of a forum of how inconsequential to gradually being the guy with 1 line an episode to being so pivital in the end. It was like the forum was WILLING him into being a bigger players, thus stroking our collective egos. For all the talk of The Wire's tag line of 'All The Pieces Matter', Ryan's ensamble really exemplified it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dead Snoopy posted:

For all the talk of The Wire's tag line of 'All The Pieces Matter', Ryan's ensamble really exemplified it

It's not just 'talk'.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
So I finally bit the bullet and started to watch through The Shield, and I haven't liked a show like this for a long time. It really is great, and almost all of the characters are fun to watch, which is nice compared to a lot of shows today.

I just finished the first 3 episodes of Season 4, and though I love where this is going, I have to say Aceveda's wife is pissing me off to no end. He gets raped, and the first thing she does to him is berate him for it. Now she's pissed off that it's affecting him. I know they are going for drama, but holy poo poo, it is just annoying to hear it. That said, he finally started to mouth back at her, so it does make it a bit more bearable.

Really though, this is an outstanding show, I will definitely watch right through it again.

Also, Dutch is awesome.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Lol i was just sitting down watching TV when a commercial for old el paso taco kits comes on tv and whos the suave pitchman in a white suit? None other then Beltran (i think thats his name) the target of I.C.E in season 7.

I was like "Wtf i know that guy o snap" its kind of amusing to see and im reminded of Levy (the jewish lawyer from the wire) doing an Arbys commercial.

Also, anyone have a link to the other shield thread that used to be kicking around TV IV ive searched all like 10 pages but i think its too far back, thought a direct link might help or something.

Thanks, btw im seriously going through withdrawls after binging through The Wires 5 seasons and all 7 of the Shield i need my fix, anyone got any good suggestions? Aside from Sons of Anarchy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nosaj posted:

Thanks, btw im seriously going through withdrawls after binging through The Wires 5 seasons and all 7 of the Shield i need my fix, anyone got any good suggestions? Aside from Sons of Anarchy.

Don't suppose you've seen The Sopranos?

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Deadwood comes to mind.

Also, a couple older HBO shows, Oz and Six Feet Under.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Ya ive seen all of the Sopranos and OZ. I think i get six feet under mixed up with dead like me, six feet under is the one with the mortician family or some poo poo right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Twin Peaks

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Nosaj posted:

You could give Oz a shot. Or maybe wait until 'Treme comes out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nosaj posted:

Justified has just started. Looks like it's going to be a good one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270825&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
People forget about Vic being a cop-killer. Especially in several episodes where they're actively looking for cop-killers. With Vic's charisma and always-come-out-on-top attitude, it's easy to forget that he's essentially no better. I mean, Vic could have gotten the death penalty for Crowley's murder just by itself, let alone the other stuff--- framing people, obstruction of justice, murder, accomplice to murder, distribution of narcotics (under color of authority), grand theft... etc. Vic didn't save himself from a prison sentence--- he saved himself from the needle. And the hosed up thing is that Ronnie presumably would have gotten a life sentence--- but in "Antwon Mitchell-ville," Ronnie would have been killed in prison or at the very least had to fight every day for his very life. Vic basically sentenced the only person who still trusted him to die.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'm slowly creeping through Season 5 with the lady (her first time) and we finished watching "Of Mice and Lem" last night. Are there any gif wizards who could create an animated gif of Shane kicking that One-Niner directly in the dome after he revealed the true nature of Antwon Mitchell's plan.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

I'm finally watching my boxed set I received at Christmas. One big disappointment:

After season 1, it appears the 'previously on The Shield' montage that aired at the beginning of each episode has been scrubbed. At least, season 2 doesn't have the introductory montage, and season 3 doesn't until Ep 6.

In contrast, the single season DVDs originally produced had the teaser montage for all episodes and all seasons except 7 (possibly 6, I can't remember), to the best of my recollection. I rented them from Netflix a year ago.

For those watching for the first time, 2 very noteworthy episodes mid-way through season 2:

S2 E9 'Co-Pilot' (first episode on S2 Disc 3):
If you're trying to get someone interested in the series, have them watch this episode. It's one of the best.
Interesting how this episode tries to make the case for 'the system' making Vic and the Strike Team turn bad. 'That was easy' one member says. 'Almost too easy' replies another.

The following episode, S2 E10 'Coyotes' (minor spoiler, no plot giveaways):
This episode is remarkably prescient. You get to see Vic for who he really is, and that he's willing to hang people out to dry for whatever he needs at the time. Take special note of Gilroy's last conversation with Vic near the end.

Major spoiler for subsequent seasons, still without plot details:
It's amazing how much of what Gilroy says in his last words comes true. It's like Sean Ryan and the other writers went back before writing Season 7 and decided to make Coyotes be a huge foreshadowing for the conclusion of the series.

Makarov_ fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 1, 2010

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
http://www.deepdiscount.com/save-up-to-64-on-over-180-box-sets/shield-complete-series/

$63.98 is a great price for this!

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Damnit, I just paid $100 for the complete series last weekend. So worth it though, even at that price. I'm currently binging through season 1 and I don't think I've seen any of these episodes since 2002 or 2003.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

The other Shield thread has made it to the archives, so I'll post my question here.

I was watching S2 E9 'Co-Pilot' again and thinking about it:

For those who don't recall, this was the 'prequal' episode. Sadly, there is no audio commentary track on the DVD.

Can someone link to an explanation by Sean Ryan as to why they made this episode? Did they feel they were 'losing' the audience in terms of sympathizing with Vic?

The way the story plays out, it's an indictment of the entire system, almost saying the department made Vic the way he turns out to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally managed to get hold of all seven seasons and watch through them all, desperately trying my hardest not to be spoiled on how everyone ended up - what an amazing series and fantastic ending, all of the major characters and quite a few of the minor ones were amazingly portrayed by for the most part people who have never really been in anything before - particularly Walt Goggins as Shane.

Now of course I have to find something new to watch, because I've been left hungry.

Like the wolf.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Shane Vendrell is now shitkickingly awesome on Justified.

Also, Lem on Sons of Anarchy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rejutka posted:

I watched Justified for Seth Bullock vs Cletus Van Damme and was not disappointed by Goggins, who was superb, but I couldn't get into the show itself outside of his scenes.

rejutka posted:

I had no idea about this, that's great, looking forward to seeing him.

I'm sure it's been discussed many times in this thread, but man the one guy on the Strike Team I feel the sorriest for is Ronnie, the poor bastard does EVERYTHING right, he's Mr. Dependable, he's loyal to a fault and a tremendous cop and he ends up being the one to pay for all of Vic's wrongdoing.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

rejutka posted:

Lem (Kenny Johnson) has been on Saving Grace in a supporting role, as well.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I have just ended season 2 of The Shield. I kind of want to watch them as fast as possible but then I also want to savor it because I will only get to see it for the first time once.

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.
I've just watched the penultimate episode of Season 5 but I never saw this thread before - HOLY. poo poo. what an awesome show!

It's like a mix of the excellent acting of The Wire and the suspense/action of 24 but just so much more brutal, I must've blitzed through the first 4 seasons in a couple of weeks.

Having said that, GOD drat the 3rd disc of season 5. It comes with special features which, having watched the previous seasons, I figured would just be behind the scenes etc with no real focus on the plot specifics, so I put it on and it's the 'Shield Panel' thing where the main guys are being interviewed - first line - "So did you know at the start of filming this season that one of the Strike Team would be killed/dead by the end of it? - why?! Why would they put this on disc 3 and not the last one?! I was so careful to avoid spoilers and I only have one episode left and it seems fairly obvious now what's going to happen. :( This is like the 24 DVD menus all over again!

(Yes I know it's probably my fault for watching the special features but I just wanted to vent)

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Jerusalem posted:

I had no idea about this, that's great, looking forward to seeing him.

Lem's been on Sons for about 20 seconds total so far. Hopefully his character is recurring for S3, though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

TUS posted:

Lem's been on Sons for about 20 seconds total so far. Hopefully his character is recurring for S3, though.

Yup, six episodes I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just to reiterate, poor, poor, poor loving Ronnie :smith: <--- Season 7 last episodes spoiler.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

Johnny Deformed posted:

(Yes I know it's probably my fault for watching the special features but I just wanted to vent)

Important for Shield newbies:

All audio commentary tracks are recorded after the season has been completely shot and, in all cases I know of, aired. If you've never seen The Shield before, you should finish viewing an entire season before re-watching episodes with commentary or you run the risk of spoilers. This is particularly important in seasons 5-7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I had never seen Michael Chiklis in anything before The Shield, and now I'm watching my very first episode of The Commish. Each time he gets "angry", my brain keeps expecting to see him put somebody through a window.

A bit off-topic, but would anyone be interested in a fresh watch-through of the series? I've been thinking about doing one for awhile-one or two episodes a week with a brief writeup and discussion of each-but these things are always better with company along for the ride.

• Locked thread