Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just bumping this thread because I tore through Season 7 over the last few nights and just finished the series finale. I watched The Shield in "real time" starting with Season 2, but I didn't have cable when Season 7 first aired, and didn't catch up until this week. I agree with everyone else who said the finale was depressing, but there weren't many others ways for everything to go down. It was a great ride from beginning to end -- one of the best TV shows of all time for sure.

One question, though: Where was Vic going with his gun at the end? Any speculation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

One question, though: Where was Vic going with his gun at the end? Any speculation?

something AWESOME

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Home. See http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2933660&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=74#post365301186

User-Friendly fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 13, 2009

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Given everything that happened it was probably to shoot himself

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In the past two weeks I pushed my way through the first five seasons, and my reward after a lovely week of finals and work was the last two episodes of season five. I have to admit I cried pretty hard, pretty much during the entire scene between Shane and Lem and when the team came back and Vic saw the body What a roller coaster of a season..I had just finished up both seasons of Sons of Anarchy too.

Kavanaugh can go to hell. Forest Whitaker is a tremendous actor, and has his character been great, and incredibly character so far, but I hate him with a tremendous passion. I love how he knows exactly what's going on, but he can't quite prove it, and that showcases what a psychopath he really is. gently caress him..I just get angry now every time I see him on screen. I can't think of any other shows that I've felt this emotional about..Six Feet Under comes to mind, I liked Sopranos, but God do I love The Barn and all the characters in it.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
Christ I just saw episode 2 season 2. You know what I'm talking about. grilled armadillo

holy poo poo. That was pretty shocking. I guess I don't have a stomach for violence.

If anyone can identify the song playing during that scene, I'll owe you one

Swamp Zero fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 18, 2009

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
trying to remember

breakdown by tantric?

EDIT - nope, that's the opening montage from the Next episode

edit 2 - SCORE! whitehouse - Cuentan Que El
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tkau-g2JWw

THAT WAS GONNA DRIVE ME NUTS

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 21, 2009

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Yay a Shield thread! :neckbeard:

I can stop making GBS threads up the SoA thread with occassional comments.

I don't think I have the metaphorical balls to watch this show. My boyfriend and I are on season 4 (I think...whatever season Glenn Close shows up). I can't take it. I love everyone, I hate everyone, I want everyone to win, I want everyone to lose, the suspense is palpable and I'm so morally, ethically and personally torn in every direction by pretty much every character that I think I have loving ulcers from watching.

I've never dug up on TV/IV threads past a current season but I really want to read the old ones just to see everyone freak the gently caress out and 'THIS loving SHOW' for an hour straight. I'm kinda glad I missed it when it aired though because now I can just binge straight through and never have to wait a week. :)

Now that that's out of my system I will say that Shane is loving retarded to the nth degree and I want to bash his wifes face in with an iron.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

KilGrey posted:

Now that that's out of my system I will say that Shane is loving retarded to the nth degree and I want to bash his wifes face in with an iron.

Being safe spoilers up to season 4. Shane, despite being a tool ninety per cent of the time, is bang on awesome ten per cent of the time. Remember, previous to this, anytime the strike team was deep in the poo poo, Shane is the one that steps up, ready to do what is needed or fix the situation. Admittedly, he tends to do it in a Shane fashion and so on but he is useful every now and then. But yeah, Taevon. :(

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Despite it being remembered as 'The Glen Close Season', Season 4 is one of my most beloved seasons of all time simply because the tension they were ratcheting up at the end of those episodes was off the charts. There is one key part where Vic stops Shane from killing Antoine Mitchel with the revelation that telling the [partial] truth and coming clean that is absolutely electrifying with the simple revelation: coming clean will save your soul . It was recently mimicked in SOA with equally powerful effect. Bold in a show so morally bankrupt.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I rewatched some of it in a marathon that aired here a few days ago.

Season 5 best season. Forrest Whitaker is just... brilliant. His last scene in Season 6 is beautiful.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Target had the entire series of The Shield on sale for $90.00 last week. Well worth it. :colbert:

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Dead Snoopy posted:

trying to remember

breakdown by tantric?

EDIT - nope, that's the opening montage from the Next episode

edit 2 - SCORE! whitehouse - Cuentan Que El
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tkau-g2JWw

THAT WAS GONNA DRIVE ME NUTS

this owns you own, thanks. Actually I liked both songs, but I found the title of Breakdown by myself since it was pretty easy to look for. But yeah this is the one I wanted

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished season 5. WHYYY!!! :cry: :cry:

gently caress this show, gently caress you Kurt Sutter, drat you all for doing this to me!

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 27, 2009

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

KilGrey posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished season 5. WHYYY!!! :cry: :cry:

gently caress this show, gently caress you Kurt Sutter, drat you all for doing this to me!

To be fair I think it was probably more Shawn Ryan than Sutter, but yeah I feel your pain.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Season 5 is probably my favorite. "Also, your wife's pussy tastes like sweet buttermilk" is probably the greatest line ever said on TV. The look on Vic's face when he realizes he's about to bone down on Kavanaugh's wife is absolutely priceless.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Just finished season 5 and oh my god, why? He was alive for a few seconds after it happened, oh god. It just feels so wrong what happened to him after saving someone else from a grenade. Ugh.

Also, why does it feel like Lem was just pushed to the side during season 6? I'm only a few episodes in but it just feels like he was a dirty cop and he deserved what happened to him, which is really hosed up. Lem had a huge heart and was a really good cop and he didn't even get a proper burial..

Lincolnstein fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 29, 2009

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I don't know man, half the season revolved around him.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Lincolnstein posted:

Just finished season 5 and oh my god, why? He was alive for a few seconds after it happened, oh god. It just feels so wrong what happened to him after saving someone else from a grenade. Ugh.

Also, why does it feel like Lem was just pushed to the side during season 6? I'm only a few episodes in but it just feels like he was a dirty cop and he deserved what happened to him, which is really hosed up. Lem had a huge heart and was a really good cop and he didn't even get a proper burial..

I believe there was a webisode (Is that the proper phrasing) that was supposed to take place inbetween seasons 5 and 6 that indicated (Lem was given a official burial.) It SHOULD be a special feature on one of those seasons.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Lincolnstein posted:

It depends on how you mean it. If you mean within the storyline of the show, it stays pretty relevant.

But if you mean within the "world" of the show, remember that the whole heroin deal that lead to his death got a lot of local media coverage, and Lem got the reputation of a bad cop in the media. Claudette, justifiably not wanting to create any more controversy, didn't give an official department funeral and gave a statement against police corruption. So yeah, Lem's reputation is varnished to the general public. Poor Lem.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Well, he was pretty corrupt, I mean. It would be completely absurd to expect him to be treated with respect as a police officer.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

TUS posted:

I believe there was a webisode (Is that the proper phrasing) that was supposed to take place inbetween seasons 5 and 6 that indicated (Lem was given a official burial.) It SHOULD be a special feature on one of those seasons.

It's called Wins and Losses. It was a 15 minute online deal and I found it streaming on Maxums website: http://www.maxim.com/video/dump/entertainment/22366/exclusiveshieldpromosode.html

I'm still all broken up after the season 5 finale. I had a hard time wanting to go on. I really really wanted Vic to break Shanes loving face in. And he's continued to gently caress up. My god, the more he tries to help the worse it gets. And his wife and her loving big mouth. Someone needs to knock her teeth in. What doesn't she get about maybe not telling Corrine what's going on if she doesn't already seem clued in. Shane was better off with that stripper they busted for rolling Johns.

Also, my GOD was Forest Whitaker scary as hell. Before this when I thought of him, I think of this sweet, good natured, kinda chubby guy but after this, holy gently caress will I never look at him the same. His rage was just so palpable and visceral.

Dutch is also still the epitome of :3: . Coming into this having only seen him on SoA it took me a minute to adjust, now I can't even remember the creep he was on that show. He and Billings together is hilarious and I'd watch an hour of them.

Well, I'm on the last season now. So glad I picked this up.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Alright I'm finally catching up on the first few seasons that I missed while I was at college and I cannot for the life of me find the song that was playing on the radio in the finale of season 2 when Ronnie, Shane and Lem are in the dump truck. The song isn't mentioned on wikipedia and I can't make out enough of the lyrics to get a search hit on google.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it and edited the wiki myself.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 1, 2010

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Didn't see this posted:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118012034.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=bd_tv

quote:

Fox's "Lie to Me" has lined up a mini cast reunion from "The Shield" this spring.

Casting reps a homecoming of sorts for the stars and Shawn Ryan, the "Shield" creator who now serves as exec producer on "Lie to Me."

"The Shield" star Michael Chiklis won't be there, but alums Catherine Dent, Kenny Johnson, David Marciano, Benito Martinez, Cathy Cahlin Ryan and David Rees Snell have all signed on.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

KilGrey posted:

Dutch is also still the epitome of :3: . Coming into this having only seen him on SoA it took me a minute to adjust, now I can't even remember the creep he was on that show. He and Billings together is hilarious and I'd watch an hour of them.

This is the opposite for me. Dutch is such a loving putz on this show that him being all mean and sinister on SoA and Burn Notice was downright comical for me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Just finished rewatching all 7 Seasons. My favorite scene used to be the confession of Vic Mackey to ICE but this viewing the scene in the last episode where Claudette gets Vic in the interrogation room and shows him the photos replaced it. So many of the characters on this show can create such strong emotions with just their facial expressions, mainly Vic and Claudette, but the whole drat cast is really excellent. I had a lot more appreciation for Mara in the rewatching as well. Her acting doesn't come across as strong because she's written to be hated so perfectly.

KilGrey posted:

It's called Wins and Losses. It was a 15 minute online deal and I found it streaming on Maxums website: http://www.maxim.com/video/dump/entertainment/22366/exclusiveshieldpromosode.html

Thanks for this, I couldn't remembered what it was called.

Also it's probably been mentioned but if anyone wants to see more of Glenn Close being awesome they should check out Damages; yet another great FX series.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 1, 2010

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Aaaaand I'm done. Season 7 finished.

Jesus christ. I almost don't even know what to say. I think my boyfriend and I sat there in silence for a good minute or two after the screen faded to black.

I don't think I've experienced that amount of tension ever in a TV show. The end, when Vic was watching the police lights going off into the distance as he was stuck in the office all alone and how the lights shut off on him and the camera did the slow pan into his ruined face...god drat. It tore at my heart. When Dutch went and arrested Ronnie and he realized what Vic had done and he freaked out, completely betrayed. The fact Claudette made sure Vic was there to see it. And my god, the look on her face when she walked into the ICE interrogation room.

Claudette: "What's he getting immunity for?"
Director guy: "....everything"

I though she was going to go flying through that window and kill Vic herself. And oh god Shane...I hated you yes but my heart hurt so badly for you when Vic told you he and Ronnie had immunity and that you were hosed. That look of desperation and finality. The way Mara and Jackson were laid out. :cry:

I think it's going to take me a bit to really process those last two episodes.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The last two episodes of the show are incredible and the finale is by far the best final episode to a series I've seen. It also has two of the most wonderfully acted scenes by an actor without actually uttering a word: Vic being ripped apart by Claudette while looking at the pictures of Shane, just trying to hold it together and of course the final scene, Vic alone in the office, trying to process everything that he has done and all of the despicable acts he's committed to get himself to that point...and then grabbing the gun and going out into the night.

Incredibly powerful and to think that neither the show, Goggins or Chiklis were nominated for any major awards for the final season...

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

el oso posted:

The last two episodes of the show are incredible and the finale is by far the best final episode to a series I've seen. It also has two of the most wonderfully acted scenes by an actor without actually uttering a word: Vic being ripped apart by Claudette while looking at the pictures of Shane, just trying to hold it together and of course the final scene, Vic alone in the office, trying to process everything that he has done and all of the despicable acts he's committed to get himself to that point...and then grabbing the gun and going out into the night.

Incredibly powerful and to think that neither the show, Goggins or Chiklis were nominated for any major awards for the final season...

Awards are basically irrelevant. You do great stuff because there it is. Both actors did great stuff because it was there on the page (in whatever form) and they ran with it while the director, cameraman, boom pole operator and other folk were out of eyeline at the time. Possibly they were under the gun with ten minutes left to film the scene. Ain't synergy grand.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

rejutka posted:

Awards are basically irrelevant. You do great stuff because there it is. Both actors did great stuff because it was there on the page (in whatever form) and they ran with it while the director, cameraman, boom pole operator and other folk were out of eyeline at the time. Possibly they were under the gun with ten minutes left to film the scene. Ain't synergy grand.

Awards are certainly irrelevant but that doesn't mean it still doesn't smart when such amazing poo poo gets over looked. Kurt Sutter has always been very vocal about his anger at getting passed over even while knowing awards are retarded. People get pissed of for their peers that put in amazing performances/writing/etc.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

KilGrey posted:

Awards are certainly irrelevant but that doesn't mean it still doesn't smart when such amazing poo poo gets over looked. Kurt Sutter has always been very vocal about his anger at getting passed over even while knowing awards are retarded. People get pissed of for their peers that put in amazing performances/writing/etc.

Yeah, this. Awards shows are largely out-of-touch and pander to the popular shows but you have to think that for the actors it's still an honour to be recognized for an award. Chiklis, Goggins and CCH Pounder practically put on acting clinics during the last season and especially in the last 2 episodes and to basically see no mainstream recognition for it has got to be disappointing no matter what, especially compared to the garbage that gets all the awards year after year.

Oh well. I'm going to have to give that Lie To Me show a shot to see all of those Shield actors back together on screen.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The Emmys just haven't adjusted to the fact that nowadays there's a lot of great tv shows and they're being produced in many networks. Also if I'm not mistaken their nomination process used to be weird. I'm not sure if it still is. Back when there was that hoopla about Ellen Burstyn's nomination, it was shown that voters only watch a few minutes of the showcases or whatever.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
...and in the absence of The Shield's aweslomeness comes... Law & Order: LA.

http://ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=9131

A Complete Moron posted:

“First of all, it’s highly possible LAW & ORDER will go beyond this year,” she says. “We also went to [creator Dick] Wolf and we said, ‘would you consider doing a Los Angeles based LAW AND ORDER. We pitched that out to him and talked about developing that. Other than SOUTHLAND, there hasn’t been a great L.A. based cop show.

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Law and Order is like the herpes of television. No matter how many people try and cure it there will always be whores to keep spreading it around. Those comments are baffling though, how can anyone forget a show like The Shield (unless that woman isn't acknowledging it's existence because it's a cable show).

EDIT: \/\/\/

It was better than almost every other network cop show on air. Not Shield, Breaking Bad, or Mad Men level, but it was fairly entertaining.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 11, 2010

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is Southland any good?

Bardog
Nov 26, 2005
I just finished season 5 and Holy poo poo! I knew what was going to happen from some comments made in the Sons of Anarchy thread and I dreaded the moment the entire season. Then 3/4 into the final episode and bam! Sandwich with a side of motherfucking hand grenade. That scene was so well done and so well acted. When Lem was still alive, breathing, trying to speak and Shane was tearing up saying how sorry he was I teared up.

Forrest Whitaker was really good this season and I can't wait to finish this show. I've always known it was good, I even saw the first 2 seasons a couple of years back, but I never got around to finishing it. It took the amazing last season of Sons of Anarchy to really get me going again and I'm so glad I did. This show is criminally underrated and Kurt Sutter, who play a great villain btw, has earned him a new lifelong fan.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

Junkenstein posted:

Is Southland any good?

It's on TNT now. They're replaying the seven episodes created for the first season, which aired on NBC but the show was subsequently cancelled. TNT picked it up and the second season begins in Feb or March this year.

I watched the first episode the other night. It wasn't bad, but it seemed fairly formula to me. It may be more serialized than typical one hour shows on broadcast TV (generally episodic), but that seemed the only significant difference. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes before I make a final decision.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well I just bought the Box Set for the entire Series. The Shield was a show that I watched from the pilot episode to completion. I have a friend who said he watched the first season but then got busy with life and stuff. He loves the Wire and basically good television in general so I've been hounding his rear end to catch up with The Shield.

Heres the thing. He watched The Shield's first season as it aired and that is it. I'm suggesting he definitely rewatches the first season to get reoriented. If he balks (I will bash him in the face) I will definitely make him watch the pilot and probably the season finale of the first season. Are there any other KEY episodes in season one...as I know its mostly self contained episodes this time around.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think the penultimate episode leads into the finale.

Is Co-pilot in season 1 or 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I just decided to watch this show a couple weeks ago. I've been renting it 2 discs at a time and I absolutely loving love it. I'm on the 2nd disc of season 3. I wish I owned them all so I never had to stop.

• Locked thread