Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
loving amazing show, im on season 4 now and i cant stop watching them fast enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
There aren't enough good things I can say about this show. I'm currently re-watching it with my girlfriend (her first time) and we are about to finish Season 3.

Season 1 is a lot of self-contained episodes, for sure. Tell your friend to tough it out until season 2, where they start introducing story arcs involving long-term characters.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I just finished season 4 and will start season 5 soon. Hell yeah. This poo poo is awesome, been watching it with my girlfriend when she's here so progress is slow, but it is still awesome.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Shield just keeps getting better and better until you get to the end and it ruins TV for you forever by making you realize you will never see a program as good again.

Unless you get the Wire on DVD of course

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Junkenstein posted:

I think the penultimate episode leads into the finale.

Is Co-pilot in season 1 or 2?

Co-Pilot is season 2. After I posted my previous post I just kind of rewatched all of Season 1 last night albeit skimming through lots of it. I've kind of decided and I'm going to tell him that he should just watch every episode again. Man a lot of poo poo happens in Season 1 that in retrospect of the series is kind of awesome.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Co=pilot is one of my favorite episodes, although i just wathched Hurt from season 4 and that was pretty drat good too.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
As episodic as Season 1 is, the good makes up for the bad. Dragon Chasers and Cupid and Psycho are incredible, and the pilot and final two episodes are essential for the series as a whole.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Ratatozsk posted:

As episodic as Season 1 is, the good makes up for the bad. Dragon Chasers and Cupid and Psycho are incredible, and the pilot and final two episodes are essential for the series as a whole.

Cupid was a really good episode, i cant keep track of them all after binging through 4 seasons in a month.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Finished Season 3 last night with the lady, and I really forgot how much of an amazing actor Walton Goggins is. The break-up of the strike team/Shane confronting Vic in the street really set the stage and raised the bar for how intense and enthralling the show can truly be.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Goggins is awesome but i really find myself disliking him at some points.

He'll always be awesome for Cletus van Damme tho.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
God I was rewatching all the episodes in Season 1 before I handed off the full series to my friend and in the episode where Shane goes undercover at a cockfighting ring the guy they bust/get to teach Shane about cock fighting is none other than Carlos Mencia. It really threw me off because I just was kind of like, "Why is Carlos Mencia here?!?"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
this is the only cool thing Carlos has ever done...been in The Shield

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I just watched the first episode (newbie here). What the gently caress? I didn't see that coming. What kind of show is this? I mean, is this like Dexter or something? Craziness.

I'm looking forward to episode 2. :)

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Chinook posted:

I just watched the first episode (newbie here). What the gently caress? I didn't see that coming. What kind of show is this? I mean, is this like Dexter or something? Craziness.

I think you need to phrase it, is Dexter like this?

Believe it or not, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Enjoy the ride!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chinook posted:

In my opinion the only parts of Dexter that were really good were the "holy poo poo how is he going to get out of this one" moments. The Shield is 7 seasons of those moments only far more intense, with characters and dialogue that are actually worth a drat. Enjoy your time in Farmington :)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The Walrus posted:

Enjoy your time in Farmington :)

drat straight. I was so shocked at the end of the first episode but by is so pales by comparison to some of the poo poo the Strike Team gets into later on. Put on your Depends, strap in and enjoy the ride. :tviv:

I almost forgot how badly this show stressed me out. Seriously, be the time you are done with the series you'll have no less than 3 ulcers.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to find some of the old threads just to read along to some of the most :wtf: on the show.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Walrus posted:

In my opinion the only parts of Dexter that were really good were the "holy poo poo how is he going to get out of this one" moments.

No, what I meant was he's a loving murderer!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Vic is an utterly deplorable character which once you get to the very end you will realize but they do take you on an emotional rollercoaster along the way with how you react to him and his actions. At times he's a loving sadist, other times he almost seems justified.

He's a very, very well-written character and Michael Chiklis does full justice to the writing.

Watching the DVDs of the final season they have a few behind the scenes stuff where the cast and crew, having finished filming the show, just have a huge emotional outburst. It's pretty weird seeing Walton, Michael and the rest of them crying and hugging each other after watching the entire thing.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

Chinook posted:

No, what I meant was he's a loving murderer!

Never forget this. Trust me, if you want to really have the "right" insight into things that happen throughout the show, never forget this.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

KilGrey posted:

That reminds me, I've been meaning to find some of the old threads just to read along to some of the most :wtf: on the show.

If I recall correctly some of those threads are pretty hilarious in retrospect because of how much we all went crazy over every episode.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I watched the last few serious scenes of the finale again just now, having not seen them since they aired. David Rees Snell and CCH Pounder are really really loving good

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

mp5 posted:

David Rees Snell .... really really loving good

Sorry?...You're Goddamn sorry?!!

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Just finished season 4, now i gotta go buy 5-6-7 drat it better start saving my pennies.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Nosaj posted:

Just finished season 4, now i gotta go buy 5-6-7 drat it better start saving my pennies.

6 and 7 are still available on Netflix Watch Instantly.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

soggybagel posted:

If I recall correctly some of those threads are pretty hilarious in retrospect because of how much we all went crazy over every episode.

The one I really want to see is the one scene...I don't even want to say it in spoilers, the heart rending scene that really changes things and poo poo starts to fall apart.

mp5 posted:

I watched the last few serious scenes of the finale again just now, having not seen them since they aired. David Rees Snell and CCH Pounder are really really loving good

(seriously, don't look at the following spoiler if you haven't seen all of the last season yet)

My favorite CCH Pounder scene, when she walks in on Vic's confession and asks what he's getting immunity for and the dude says '...everything' and her 'WHAT!' Just the loving look on her face and the reaction afterward.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

KilGrey posted:

The one I really want to see is the one scene...I don't even want to say it in spoilers, the heart rending scene that really changes things and poo poo starts to fall apart.

You mean the end of the pilot episode? :v:

For all the dirt he got mixed up in, (spoiler regards Vic's actions through Season 6) the body count directly attributable to Vic is remarkably small. If memory serves, his finger was only on the trigger for Terry, Margos, and Guardo. Of course, if you want to go with responsibility, the list is significantly longer.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

KilGrey posted:

The fact that no one ever got recognized in the big ones (Emmy and Golden Globes) for acting outside of Chiklis first season is the biggest crime of the century.

And to share a story with you (Do not read this unless you've finished the series) The Shield was a show I saw since the first episode. When Season 5 aired I was living with 3 other roommates who were all Shield addicts. So Tuesday night was like our little book club get together. You turned off your cell phone and you shut up when the episode was on. At the time our apartment had cable but not FX so we all would go to one guys place who did.

Anyways after the end of the finale in Season 5 after the credits roll we all just sat silently for what had to be 10-15 minutes. It was just terrible and no one said anything and it was sad. It was weird but it seriously felt like we just found out a good friend died. Lem will never be forgotten!

Also the penultimate episode of that season where they are going to send Lem to hide in Mexico and it has Disarm playing over the scenes by the Smashing Pumpkins...that song is now forever linked to that episode and when I hear it, it only evokes memories of that episode and Lem's demise. I remember one time I'm in the car driving as the sun is going down on the 405 (highway in California) and I seriously felt kind of sad and it was kind of creepy.
In conclusion, The Shield is awesome.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 5, 2010

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Brosa Parks posted:

Never forget this. Trust me, if you want to really have the "right" insight into things that happen throughout the show, never forget this.

The penultimate episode of the series did a fine job of reminding us of this. Specifically the last two lines of dialogue and the facial expressions. Holy poo poo.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

mp5 posted:

The penultimate episode of the series did a fine job of reminding us of this. Specifically the last two lines of dialogue and the facial expressions. Holy poo poo.

Yeah, I just recall the threads in the last couple seasons. I did my damndest to try to get people to stop actively rooting for Vic's success.

I mean, yeah, I get that he's the main protagonist and all, but he's a cop killer.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

soggybagel posted:

The fact that no one ever got recognized in the big ones (Emmy and Golden Globes) for acting outside of Chiklis first season is the biggest crime of the century.

The Emmys are completely absurd, though. At least Chiklis had that one win. Ian Mcshane lost to James fuckin' Spader for crying out loud.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The Emmys are completely absurd, though. At least Chiklis had that one win. Ian Mcshane lost to James fuckin' Spader for crying out loud.

They are back on track with Best Actor now though, Cranston is leaps and bounds better than everyone else and deserves the two he's received, even though the golden globes refuse to even mention Breaking Bad. The Shield is the show I always used to point to when arguing about the Emmys. It was the best show other than The Wire (sorry Ishmael I thought The Sopranos sucked after season 4) and didn't receive jack poo poo after season 1.

EDIT: Also The Shield had one of the best soundtracks to any tv show. I was surprised looking through I-Tunes at how many songs from this, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad I have.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SneakySneaks posted:

They are back on track with Best Actor now though, Cranston is leaps and bounds better than everyone else and deserves the two he's received, even though the golden globes refuse to even mention Breaking Bad. The Shield is the show I always used to point to when arguing about the Emmys. It was the best show other than The Wire (sorry Ishmael I thought The Sopranos sucked after season 4) and didn't receive jack poo poo after season 1.

EDIT: Also The Shield had one of the best soundtracks to any tv show. I was surprised looking through I-Tunes at how many songs from this, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad I have.

The Golden Globes are decided on by (as of 2009) 95 people compared to the thousands who vote as part of the Academy, they are not as significant a thing as people might have you believe and are as circlejerky as it gets as far as new member admission.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 6, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
All awards shows are just the industries jerking themselves off. Occasionally they accidentally trip into giving an award to the right guy, but most of the time the right guy isn't even nominated.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm aware they're circle jerks and I don't really give them any sort of major credibility but lets not forget that they can really open up new opportunities for peoples careers. After seeing Goggins perform on the high level I hope he gets a lot more opportunities as the years pass to showcase his talent.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Brosa Parks posted:

Yeah, I just recall the threads in the last couple seasons. I did my damndest to try to get people to stop actively rooting for Vic's success.

I mean, yeah, I get that he's the main protagonist and all, but he's a cop killer.

To be fair, he is a completely different person with a completely different worldview by the end of the show.

Of course, also to be fair, he killed a cop.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
By the way, after you finish watching The Shield, roll right into Sons of Anarchy. It has a stupendous cast, great writing and a late season two guest star that should have you making silly squee noises as you mark right the gently caress out.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

rejutka posted:

By the way, after you finish watching The Shield, roll right into Sons of Anarchy. It has a stupendous cast, great writing and a late season two guest star that should have you making silly squee noises as you mark right the gently caress out.

Haha, I agree in theory... but you'd be vastly confused as to why Holland "Dutch" Wagenbaugh is suddenly some evil, stalkerish federal agent and Curtis "Lem(onhead)" Lemanski has only been on for like 20 seconds so far.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Meh, Sons of Anarchy is massively inferior to The Shield.

It suffers from less contrast between deeds and characters, since everyone is already a criminal; their criminal acts don't feel as tense, and there's much less tension regarding possible capture or anything of the sort.

In The Shield on the other hand even the idea of being captured wrecks your poo poo.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Meh, Sons of Anarchy is massively inferior to The Shield.

It suffers from less contrast between deeds and characters, since everyone is already a criminal; their criminal acts don't feel as tense, and there's much less tension regarding possible capture or anything of the sort.

In The Shield on the other hand even the idea of being captured wrecks your poo poo.

Season 1 was pretty average, but still better than most shows on tv. Season 2 was on the same level as Mad Men, The Shield, The Wire and Breaking Bad. Watch season 2 if you haven't already because it made SOA one of the best shows on tv. Also I can't wait to see Goggins in Justified even though it looks like he might only be a guest star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

TUS posted:

Haha, I agree in theory... but you'd be vastly confused as to why Holland "Dutch" Wagenbaugh is suddenly some evil, stalkerish federal agent and Curtis "Lem(onhead)" Lemanski has only been on for like 20 seconds so far.

Given the ability to comprehend as evinced by many posts in a variety of threads in this sub-forum alone, your warning is sadly warranted.

:eng99: The crow flies straight. :eng99:

• Locked thread