Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just watched the first season of the shield in 3 nights. I had never gotten around to watching it when it was on for some goddamn reason or another but goddamn it's great. Great characters, great arc, great progression, basically perfect.

If you haven't seen it then you really should, it's frigging amazing, even my wife loves it and she hates TV shows that star ugly men.

So now an observation with spoiler tags as not to screw things up for those that like me haven't seen it yet: drat, every loving illegal or corner-cutting thing he does fucks things up and demands that he does something EVEN WORSE to save his rear end..

So post endorsements tell me if this show remains awesome or if it sags in the middle or whatever. Let's get people watching this poo poo if they haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Walrus posted:

this is the series, basically
Aha, I should have guessed this. Looks like a great ride, now I just have to stay awake at work during the day...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
No spoilers INCLUDES THE FIRST EPISODE.

Reed Diamond was the best character in the first two seasons - agree or disagree?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

slotbadger posted:

I tried the first two episodes pretty much the day after finishing with The Wire, and was a little unimpressed. It seemed a little over the top, a little bit too cheesy to be able to take itself that seriously...

My question is, is it worth trying again? Or should I make a start on The Sopranos or Battlestar Galactica instead?
It's a different genre than The Wire, it that's your expectation you'll be disappointed. I went in pretty much expecting a CBS procedural WITH AN EDGE and I fell in love.

That being said it's no Sopranos. Nothing is. And BSG is pretty great if you come in (as I did) with low expectations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Halfway through season 2. Started slow, but when it got going drat. It was nice to see Shane doing something competent, I was beginning to wonder how the gently caress he got as far as he did.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Bump because I'm in season 4 now. Except for a lul at the beginning of season 2 it's been terrific.

BUT they changed from film to video with this season, and the direction seems to be a lot more conventional. Anybody else notice this?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pigma_Micron posted:

They didn't go from film to video, they went from 35mm in season 1 to 16mm in every subsequent season....
The first 3 episodes of season 4 are clearly shot on video; not only is it clearly 30fps interlace but they even had some lovely auto white balance stuff going on in the first episode. I think this was intentional but it looked horrible and made my wife complain that she wanted a new tv....

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Now only 20 minutes into season 5 and Holy poo poo it keeps getting better. To continue the film/video notes that interest nobody but me, I looked back at the start of 4. The first one was mostly video, but some film, and they cut in occasional video segments in the next few episodes but they were graded to look like film. There's also a video segment at the start of S5e1 when vic talks to the oval office ci that's jarring, it wasn't even graded to match the rest of the footage.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pigma_Micron posted:

I actually went back to check it out and I honestly don't see it. The only thing I can think of is that you're mistaking them going into 30fps for when there are monitors in the scene for video.

I tried googleing and, comically, the most relevant thing I can find is another discussion just like this one on another forum.

Just watch that one scene in s5e1, it's glaringly different. There's also one scene in s4e1 where there's an obvious auto white balance adjustment; that's what drove me down this obsessional rathole.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Smorgasbord posted:

Stoked for Walton Goggins, he deserves a ton of awards for his work on The Shield.
Sure, he did great but I hate his guts as a result. On I think it was the season 5 commentary he said that whenever he went anywhere he'd get boo'd or have people 'jokingly' tell them how much they hate him, but whenever Kenny Johnson went anywhere people would want to be his buddy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, I started this thread 5 months ago, and now I finished the show, just now.

Wow. What an ending for everybody. As has been mentioned before, the ending was perfect for everyone.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned how amazing Mara was at the end.

And the use of X and Concrete Blonde, to me 2 of the ultimate LA bands, was beyond perfection.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 24, 2009

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Commish in on Netflix on demand. If you want to see a good example of what actors do it's phenomenal watching how he does the Commish relative to Vic.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wartime Consigliere posted:

And man, I really hated Claudette throughout the whole series.
Are you serious? She's the most sympathetic character that made it to the end.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Borh posted:

I don't think the gif qualifies as a spoiler, so here you go:

That one doesn't!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Shawn Ryan combines The Shield and The Unit to bring us corrupt soldiers teaching an Iraqi army tactics and strategy.
That sounds downright unpleasant. I'd watch it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Fans of Walt Goggins should know that Predators is worth wading through just to catch a him jumping on a Predator and stabbing it with a prison shiv yelling "die you alien human being". This was the unexpected fun movie moment of the year for me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Junkenstein posted:

Terriers and Justified should be the Shield followups really. Sons of Anarchy as well I guess, although it's really hard to recommend that nowadays.
Terriers and Justified are are perfect in their own ways but nothing really captures the "Holy poo poo!"-ness of The Shield. That being said I can't suggest anything better. The first two seasons of Spartacus are probably the closest I can think of (is anybody watching the third)?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Well half an hour gone to Google and I can't find that season one gif of Vic running THROUGH the fence that would show how awesome season one can be.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Awesome. It's that gif that got me interested in the show.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Remulak fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Conquistador posted:

Did they change something production wise between s3 and s4? The camera seems...different.
IIRC this is when they switched from 8mm film to DV. Drove me nuts, or at least bothered me, nobody else seemed to care.

I can't find it but someplace on the archives you can find a meltdown I had when they cut in DV scene into an ep near the end of season 3. I'm really sensitive to stuff like that, most people don't mind it.

• Locked thread