Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Yay a Shield thread! :neckbeard:

I can stop making GBS threads up the SoA thread with occassional comments.

I don't think I have the metaphorical balls to watch this show. My boyfriend and I are on season 4 (I think...whatever season Glenn Close shows up). I can't take it. I love everyone, I hate everyone, I want everyone to win, I want everyone to lose, the suspense is palpable and I'm so morally, ethically and personally torn in every direction by pretty much every character that I think I have loving ulcers from watching.

I've never dug up on TV/IV threads past a current season but I really want to read the old ones just to see everyone freak the gently caress out and 'THIS loving SHOW' for an hour straight. I'm kinda glad I missed it when it aired though because now I can just binge straight through and never have to wait a week. :)

Now that that's out of my system I will say that Shane is loving retarded to the nth degree and I want to bash his wifes face in with an iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished season 5. WHYYY!!! :cry: :cry:

gently caress this show, gently caress you Kurt Sutter, drat you all for doing this to me!

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 27, 2009

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

TUS posted:

I believe there was a webisode (Is that the proper phrasing) that was supposed to take place inbetween seasons 5 and 6 that indicated (Lem was given a official burial.) It SHOULD be a special feature on one of those seasons.

It's called Wins and Losses. It was a 15 minute online deal and I found it streaming on Maxums website: http://www.maxim.com/video/dump/entertainment/22366/exclusiveshieldpromosode.html

I'm still all broken up after the season 5 finale. I had a hard time wanting to go on. I really really wanted Vic to break Shanes loving face in. And he's continued to gently caress up. My god, the more he tries to help the worse it gets. And his wife and her loving big mouth. Someone needs to knock her teeth in. What doesn't she get about maybe not telling Corrine what's going on if she doesn't already seem clued in. Shane was better off with that stripper they busted for rolling Johns.

Also, my GOD was Forest Whitaker scary as hell. Before this when I thought of him, I think of this sweet, good natured, kinda chubby guy but after this, holy gently caress will I never look at him the same. His rage was just so palpable and visceral.

Dutch is also still the epitome of :3: . Coming into this having only seen him on SoA it took me a minute to adjust, now I can't even remember the creep he was on that show. He and Billings together is hilarious and I'd watch an hour of them.

Well, I'm on the last season now. So glad I picked this up.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Aaaaand I'm done. Season 7 finished.

Jesus christ. I almost don't even know what to say. I think my boyfriend and I sat there in silence for a good minute or two after the screen faded to black.

I don't think I've experienced that amount of tension ever in a TV show. The end, when Vic was watching the police lights going off into the distance as he was stuck in the office all alone and how the lights shut off on him and the camera did the slow pan into his ruined face...god drat. It tore at my heart. When Dutch went and arrested Ronnie and he realized what Vic had done and he freaked out, completely betrayed. The fact Claudette made sure Vic was there to see it. And my god, the look on her face when she walked into the ICE interrogation room.

Claudette: "What's he getting immunity for?"
Director guy: "....everything"

I though she was going to go flying through that window and kill Vic herself. And oh god Shane...I hated you yes but my heart hurt so badly for you when Vic told you he and Ronnie had immunity and that you were hosed. That look of desperation and finality. The way Mara and Jackson were laid out. :cry:

I think it's going to take me a bit to really process those last two episodes.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

rejutka posted:

Awards are basically irrelevant. You do great stuff because there it is. Both actors did great stuff because it was there on the page (in whatever form) and they ran with it while the director, cameraman, boom pole operator and other folk were out of eyeline at the time. Possibly they were under the gun with ten minutes left to film the scene. Ain't synergy grand.

Awards are certainly irrelevant but that doesn't mean it still doesn't smart when such amazing poo poo gets over looked. Kurt Sutter has always been very vocal about his anger at getting passed over even while knowing awards are retarded. People get pissed of for their peers that put in amazing performances/writing/etc.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Enjoy your time in Farmington :)

drat straight. I was so shocked at the end of the first episode but by is so pales by comparison to some of the poo poo the Strike Team gets into later on. Put on your Depends, strap in and enjoy the ride. :tviv:

I almost forgot how badly this show stressed me out. Seriously, be the time you are done with the series you'll have no less than 3 ulcers.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to find some of the old threads just to read along to some of the most :wtf: on the show.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

soggybagel posted:

If I recall correctly some of those threads are pretty hilarious in retrospect because of how much we all went crazy over every episode.

The one I really want to see is the one scene...I don't even want to say it in spoilers, the heart rending scene that really changes things and poo poo starts to fall apart.

mp5 posted:

I watched the last few serious scenes of the finale again just now, having not seen them since they aired. David Rees Snell and CCH Pounder are really really loving good

(seriously, don't look at the following spoiler if you haven't seen all of the last season yet)

My favorite CCH Pounder scene, when she walks in on Vic's confession and asks what he's getting immunity for and the dude says '...everything' and her 'WHAT!' Just the loving look on her face and the reaction afterward.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

TUS posted:

Haha, I agree in theory... but you'd be vastly confused as to why Holland "Dutch" Wagenbaugh is suddenly some evil, stalkerish federal agent and Curtis "Lem(onhead)" Lemanski has only been on for like 20 seconds so far.

I saw SoA first and then binged on the Shield and it did take me a few episodes to let go of my first impressions of the guy who played Dutch.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

overtone posted:

For those of you who have finished the series:

This may just be a personal interpretation, but did Ronnie symbolically represent the audience of the show? We went along for the ride and rooted for Vic like Ronnie did. And in the end, Ronnie didn't get to walk away clean. Vic gets free from his purgatory/hell/jail in three years, Ronnie has a lifetime of punishment for his crime, like us viewers, who rooted for Vic.

I don't see it, and think maybe you are reading a bit to much into it but if it works for you then go with it. :)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

The Valuum posted:

I'm curious though, is the general consensus about Vic good or bad? I mean by just watching his actions he might seem bad (and I heard he gets worse throughout the seasons) but right now I see him as a guy with good intentions that makes mistakes in a job that presents a lot of opportunities for mistakes.

He's for sure a bad guy, however I think often times he has good intentions but doesn't know any other way of going about things. Other times I think he starts with one bad thing and it snow balls and he has to continue doing bad things to cover up the first making him even more evil. That evil is also contrasted by the fact he loves his children, is loyal (for the most part) to his friends and did have a genuine interest in police work at one time. However he tipped the balance early and went 100 miles or more down the 'bad' road before thinking of turning back and couldn't ever turn around. I guess I wouldn't call him truly 'evil' because I think he does feel a genuine sense of remorse for a lot of the things he did and someone who is 'evil' to me doesn't have the capacity to do that.

The Valuum posted:

I'm glad the show had at least one do-gooder (Dutch) to root for.

:lol: Dutch is another 'what the hell' character. I can't think of a time you don't really want to root for him though. It's difficult because he's so likable and you want to root for him but then you also want to root for Vic to. It's so easy to go back and forth on this show.

The Valuum posted:

Edit: does the guy with the mustache (on strike team) ever get a major roll, I seriously only think I've heard him say "Alright, boss!". Even Lem has had some minor points in arcs.

Keep an eye on Ronnie. It's been talked about a bit in this thread but he's one of the scariest members of the strike team. From the beginning he's been the one with absolutely no compunction in regards to breaking the law, killing someone and blindly follows orders to the letter. Shane is also a yes man but he's stupid, impulsive and trying to do things his way. Ronnie is the guy you should be scared of, he's Vics hammer.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, definitely sorry about that. I guess I'm just way too used to the Dexter thread.

This is a thread specifically for newbies.

For people who have watched this show before, what do you think was the point of no return for Vic? Was there ever a time you just stopped rooting for him period? (outside of the end of the first ep, you could definitely call that a point of no return but after that what point would it be?)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

User-Friendly posted:

Both Lem and Aceveda are on Lie to Me tonight. Guess that's a benefit of it being produced by Shawn Ryan now.

edit: and Dani!

and Corrine and Billings and Ronnie...

Why didn't I know about this ahead of time?

Yeah, my boyfriend and I were watching that the other night and were like, "HOLY CRAP LOOK! It's Billings....and Dani and Aceveda! ....is...is that Lem? Corrine?? RONNIE WTF?!?"

It made it a bit difficult to watch show actually. We were waiting for a big reveal at the end that Michael Chiklis did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

TUS posted:

Finishing S7 - Vic walked away from signing the original ICE deal because Ronnie wasn't part of it. It was only when his family was in the crosshairs that he signed the deal minus Ronnie. He has like a tier of caringness for how he reacts.

When he walked away from the first deal though, he still had time to spare and to try to call their bluff on how bad they wanted him. When it came right down to it, he was signing that deal and making his confession by the skin of his teeth and he knew it. I'm sure had he more time, he still would have tried to hold out for Ronnie but when push came to shove he signed without him. (ICE Stuff)

Also, CCH Pounders reaction when she walked in and found out what was up was the best reaction ever.

• Locked thread