Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So now that you have restored these two trucks, its time for a tractor possibly?

This thread is amazing, I love your work. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Surely there's an old Ferndale semi kicking around somewhere...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Another incredible update, the paintwork on the Divco is simply amazing. Seeing them both parked together is awesome, you could almost believe that it's a period picture that's been edited and touched up.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Been following this thread for awhile, great job. Sorry I'm posting just to nitpick, but isn't there supposed to be an apostrophe after "Halls" on the side of the Divco? Only mentioning it because the Chevy has one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A wizard.

Some sort of rust transmuting wizard.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Your trucks are amazing but I was distracted by the mini-donut vehicle in the background.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Someone posted this into a facebook group, I thought of this thread:

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

AFewBricksShy posted:

Someone posted this into a facebook group, I thought of this thread:

Haha I was going to share that one myself

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Any more updates on this, mooecow? It's amazing that this has been going on for 6 years.

Doughboy
Jan 9, 2013
I just popped into this thread after two years gone.... and my only question is when are you going to get an old Ferndale Semi to restore? Excellent work on the Divco. I spent all day at work catching up on it.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

porkfriedrice posted:

Been following this thread for awhile, great job. Sorry I'm posting just to nitpick, but isn't there supposed to be an apostrophe after "Halls" on the side of the Divco? Only mentioning it because the Chevy has one.

Just looked at one of the old dairy pictures and you're right, there should be an apostrophe. Oh well, I'll just chalk it up as one of the flaws of a handpainted livery, right next to the runs, sags & drips. :)

Advent Horizon posted:

So...Got a line on the tanker truck yet <snip>

ExplodingSims posted:

Holy poo poo, another incredible transformation! Makes me want to get around to finishing my project. Also thirding the tanker idea. REBUILD THE FLEET!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Please do this.

Doughboy posted:

I just popped into this thread after two years gone.... and my only question is when are you going to get an old Ferndale Semi to restore? Excellent work on the Divco. I spent all day at work catching up on it.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Surely there's an old Ferndale semi kicking around somewhere...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So now that you have restored these two trucks, its time for a tractor possibly?

About that....

My uncle called a few weeks ago and said he found my next project. Apparently someone saw the Ferndale sign on his truck so they stopped by his house & gave him a phone number for a guy that had an old Ferndale tanker truck.

So a quick call later it turns out it was a 1959 Autocar. According to my grandpa the dairy bought the truck used and had the frame lengthened to accommodate a stainless steel tank for hauling milk. At some point it threw a rod through the block so they sold the truck to the father of the guy that has it now. He actually remembers going with his father up to the dairy to pick it up. They dropped a new engine in it and shortened the frame to accept a fifth wheel. At some point along the way it was vandalized so they swapped out the side doors for some spares they had. They also resprayed the truck a couple times. Unfortunately, like the Divco, all those years of sitting outside has really taken its toll. The cab is extremely rotten and I didn't see a single panel on the truck that didn't have rot through.

That said, it does look pretty awesome:

So I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat wondering, is crazy enough to do it?? Sadly, the answer is no. While I love the story behind the truck it's just too much. If it was still a straight job with the tank on it maybe...but it is in extremely rough shape, I don't have room to store anything nearly that large, it would probably bankrupt me, and even finished it’s just not practical.

Now as for the Divco, I haven’t really done much to it the past few months besides drive it and take it to a few car shows. I figure when it’s stuck in the garage all winter (more on that later!) I can do all the little finish work.

I've discovered that you can't lose the truck at shows. It just towers over everything else so you can see it from everywhere:

I had to buy some plastic chain to put across the door openings when at car shows. Apparently leaving the doors open so people could look in was actually an invitation for them to climb in.

Mooecow posted:

As for my next project......it'll only be sort of car related. My brother is house shopping and one of his major requirements is a big enough garage / barn to store both the Chevy & Divco. So I think turning his new place into the perfect workshop. :)

My brother has been house hunting for nearly a year now and finally found a good house in town. It’s a small house on a small lot but it has an 850 square foot garage with 10.5’ tall ceilings. Unfortunately the doors are only 8’ tall so we are looking into getting the openings enlarged and new doors installed so the Divco can fit inside.

-

So close & yet so far :(

But on the upside, the '53 fits perfectly:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
This thread makes me feel so warm and fuzzy. Glad to see the Divco is basically finished! Given any thought to getting bottles for the crates (and then maybe filling them and delivering them to your friends?)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Have you considered putting on a milkman's uniform and sleeping with your friends' wives?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Have you considered buying the old dairy, getting some cows, and starting up a milk delivery business that relies entirely on restored vintage equipment?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Have you considered buying the old dairy, getting some cows, and starting up a milk delivery business that relies entirely on restored vintage equipment?

I'm almost 100% certain that I've posted it in this very thread but it's actually a thing. No such thing as new equipment that fills glass bottles, as far as I know.

The Divco seems like you might be able to sneak it under the door if you let the air out of the tires, or removed the wheels and laid the axles on some dollies.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Divco seems like you might be able to sneak it under the door if you let the air out of the tires, or removed the wheels and laid the axles on some dollies.

Dig two trenches.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

They make dollies that bolt to the wheel lugs. That would work, too.

I'm getting my Leaf's tiny factory tires put on a spare set of wheels for rolling my FJ40 in and out of my 7' shop door. That's another option.

Also, do the Autocar. Doooooo iiiiiiitttt. Maybe just restore the cab and make a Dairy Truck Simulator?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Buy the Auto car. Who cares if it's impractical. :v: Gotta preserve that history!

Start a kickstarter.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Buy the Auto car. Who cares if it's impractical. :v: Gotta preserve that history!

Start a kickstarter.

I will donate $20 to this effort if you start one. Seriously.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamn that Divco is amazing. (And the pickup of course.)

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I gotta say you were the poster that really sparked my interest in getting a project car and starting on it. You've done an awesome job on both vehicles!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mooecow, you need these.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Nice necromancy. Got me all excited.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I was so excited to see new posts in this thread. Oh well, time to go back and read it from the start!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Proper shirt:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/one-hot-summer-day?ref=cnt_ctlg_dgn_10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Saw post; disappointed.

• Locked thread