Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Grab your sword and don your armor, we're taking a trip to the kingdom of Boletaria! This is Demon's Souls!

Apparently all the cool IRC dudes are on #FromGoons on irc.synirc.net

The Official Website
:siren:English Wiki made by Goons and GAFfers!:siren: If you have any questions about the game, consult the Wiki first!
Find other brave Goons here!
Come to a time when we didn't even know if this game was in English! The first thread!

What is Demon's Souls?

Demon's Souls is the latest title from famed niche game developers From Software, known for titles such as: Armored Core, Chromehounds, Tenchu, and Ninja Blade. This third-person Role Playing Game is designed to be the spiritual successor to From Software's infamous King's Field franchise, renowned for its ridiculous difficulty and steep learning curve. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Demon's Souls brings hardcore JRPG action exclusively to the PlayStation 3!

What makes it different from other RPGs available to the PS3?

Demon's Souls caters to a special audience with a product that simply can't be found in today's modern homogonized gaming market. An experience in which you simply can't get in any other title on the PlayStation 3 or any other major video game console on the market! This game can best be described as a macabre mash-up of titles such as King's Field, Monster Hunter and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Demon's Souls takes its inspiration straight from European and American developers, while giving it a distinct Japanese feel. It plays itself straight up in a gritty in a traditional European fantasy style, featuring full English voice acting and environments that vary from decrepid castles to the dank depths of Hell.

The equipment set-up is reminiscent of computer-based RPGs of the late 80s and early 90s, featuring a plethora of equipment and weaponry for you to utilize. Your opponents? Dark knights, brain-eating zombies, gigantic lizards, slimes, and everything the twisted world can throw at you! Your bosses? Humongous trolls wielding cleavers, red dragons that burn you to cinders, gigantic tarantulas which wrap you up in webbing, and the list goes on! There's nothing like a mascot enemy here, and your final boss certainly isn't a winged dude with symphonic accompanyment.

And the cherry on top? This game is completely balls-to-the-wall hard! That's right, there's no hand holding in Demon's Souls! There's no thirty minute long tutorial sequence, unskippable in-game pop-ups, button mashing battles, or Quick Time Events. If you want a game that rewards hard work and effort, Demon's Souls is the game for you!

This is a game that pulls no punches, gives little thought, and spares few words. The monsters will gang up on you, you'll fight bosses that will kill you in a single hit, you'll lose your footing and fall to your death, and be abused for your mistakes. You'll have to fight tooth and nail for every inch, fleeing from traps that come without warning, just to get that new piece of equipment or item you need. There's no safety in menus, and even other players will be out for your blood!

In short, Demon's Souls is a game with a sick, twisted sense of humor but an oddly rewarding and challenging title. It requires a certain penchant for masochism and the bravery for a true challenge in today's easy win RPG environment. Tired of games like Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, and Valkyria Chronicles? Demon's Souls is just what you need, friend!

What's this game all about

Demon's Souls has a fairly simple story, much like its older brother King's Field. It takes place in the fictional European-inspired kingdom of Boletaria, where a corrupt King summons the Devil and uses unholy powers to bring unrivaled prosperity to his lands. Only to fall victim to his own vices and traps and abuse his power to cause great destruction, causing a great fog to cover the country and summon countless demons to devour the innocent. This is where you come in! You are a lone adventurer who quests into the depths of Boletaria to put a stop to the fog and bring peace to the land, not even death itself can stop your pursuit!

You read that right! There's no childhood friend who happens to be a girl you're in love with who gets kidnapped. There's no heavy-handed racism subplot that makes you want to groan. No childish mascot characters that appear in every cutscene, or an evil church that controls the world, and no you're not a "chosen one" who was picked to save the world. You are simply a person who ventures forth into the land that no man has ever returned from alive.

How does it play?

Demon's Souls plays from a third-person perspective, and acts like the unholy love child of King's Field and Monster Hunter. Your character is one you can name and design yourself! The game offers a robust facial creation system that allows players to customize their lowly adventurer. Players can equip all sorts of armor, weapons, and accessories and utilize a varied array of magic attacks known as Spells and Miracles. All of your actions have a weight to them, and the environment must be taken into account at all times. That cool sword you got may be strong, but how will it fare in a tiny corridor?

Survival is dependant on your ability to always be aware of your surroundings and quickly adapt to change in it and the enemies that you meet. Each new beast provides a new challenge in how to properly face and destroy it in battle, and each new area is a host to remarkable deadly traps and towering bosses. Demon's Souls demands a lot from its players but the reward will undoubtedly be worth it, so keep striving!

Aside the typical Health and Magic Points system found in every other Role Playing Game, Demon's Souls utilizes a Stamina system reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls franchise. All your actions take a certain number of Stamina points to perform but your bar is always refilling! You must take your Stamina into account when adventuring, is it wiser to go for a barrage of sword swinging to defeat your foe or should you wait for the parry? Do you stand your ground and fight the gigantic spider, or flee at top speed so it doesn't swallow you whole?

It also provides a wide variety of classes for you to choose from! Demon's Souls allows players to choose a "starting class" that suits their desired playstyle. Are you the type who loves to get up in a monster's grill and rip their guts out? Be a Knight! Do you like casting magic missile? Then Magician is right up your alley! Love the sensation of driving your knife into someone's unsuspecting back? Try a Thief! There are numerous job opportunities, each with their own natural advantages and special starting equipment. Your job doesn't totally limit your playstyle though, you can later improve your statistics and branch out into other jobs! Need a magic spell but you're a claymore-wielding knight? Go level up and learn it!

The entire game is based around deep, complex dungeons that take ages to fully explore. Your only refuge from the monsters is the "Nexus" which is the hub or "town" of Demon's Souls. Here you can talk to the locals, level up, learn new magic spells, repair or buy new items and equipment, and store your unwanted junk. Don't think though you've got it all down, New Game+ provides even more to see at the Nexus!

Did I mention this game has New Game+? That's right! Demon's Souls has tapped into the desire to carry on our legacy by allowing the player to carry over their character into a new game once they beat it! Don't think thought that you'll be right into pulverizing the enemies like you were earlier though, the game's difficulty ramps up every time you beat it!

Can I play it with other people?

You bet! Demon's Souls offers a trio of special multiplayer options for you to choose from! You'll never be lonely in Boletaria, not when you've got the souls of your dead PSN friends to come with you as you venture out to kill the giant Manta Ray!

Co-Operative
Players can utilize a special item called the "Blue Eye Stone" to set a marker on the ground that acts as a gateway to a multiplayer Co-Operative game! There's no lobby or matchmaking system, the offline game is your lobby! Other players online can see your marker and invite you into their world, and soon enough you and two other adventurers will be on your way to questing!

All three players can recieve Souls for their hard work, and they can team up to take out the Boss Demons with better efficiency! As your game together ends, players can grade the host adventure on a scale from D to S and this grade carries with the Host so other players know how good or bad a player they are.

It should be noted though that players can only play with other characters that are within 10 levels of their current level. So a Level 80 cannot play with a Level 20.

Competitive
What's that you say? You don't want to play nice?! Demon's Souls has got you covered! With the use of the "Black Eye Stone," players with evil intent can literally force themselves into another player's world! Taking the role of the "Black Phantom," the player must hunt out and kill the invaded player to recieve a special Souls bonus! However, if the invading Phantom is killed then you lose all your Souls and he gets a big reward for killing you.

There is even an instance where a player can take the roll of a Boss Demon! Imagine playing your game only to find that your next Boss is actually a bloodthirsty Japanese guy! However, the "10 level" rule is in effect so you won't be steamrolling Level 1 newbies with your Level 100 awesome knight.

Educational
Huh? "Educational?" Don't worry, this isn't a codeword for "scripted tutorial!" Demon's Souls offers a special method of communicating with other players in other worlds, to help (or decieve) other players about events that may be coming up in the near future! By utilizing a wide selection of stock messages and phrases, players use a bizarre Twitter-esque system of leaving messages on the floor for others to read. These messages can be read by anyone, and can even be graded on their usefulness! Players who leave helpful messages are rewarded with a full health restore!

... Of course, you could also use it to grief other players and trick them into killing themselves! Try leaving a "Jump here for a reward!" message at the edge of a cliff and see what hapless idiot tries it!

When does it come out?! Where can I buy it?!

A long time ago, goony goons such as myself were totally brave and hardcore and had no idea if this game was even going to be in English when it first came out in Asia. So we foolishly threw $80 at sketchy Asian online retailers and it was fortunate that it turned out to BE in English! Later on, regular people learned how cool this game was and Atlus released a version in America that they did a spell check on.

You can buy Demon's Souls as a Greatest Hit in North America for $29.99 now. There is also an out-of-print Deluxe Edition that comes with a wuss strategy guide. Europeans can buy the game too! Game.co.uk informs me that the game is £34.99.

I'm a big nerd who lives off review scores!

Demon's Souls has recieved star-studded reviews since its launch in January 2009, here listed are just some of the critical acclaim that the game has recieved since its release.

The Reviews posted:

Famitsu: 9 / 7 / 7 / 6
Dengeki: 95 / 85 / 85 / 85
Eurogamer: 9 / 10
RPGFan: 84%
GameSpot: 9.0

Every review for this game has said the same things, this game is super hard but rewarding as all hell! Don't let the tales of the difficulty put you off though, stand tall and face danger head on in life-threatening combat! Even the notorious Eurogamer stood and took notice of this game, with flying colours!

I don't want to play this game online without Goonygoons!

Never fear, goon sire! Plenty of Goons have come forth in the name of Demon's Souls and ventured forth into Boletaria! You can find a full list here at the PS3 Goons Database, why not jump into that suit of armor and join us today?

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Demon's Souls Flowchart! Made by Brightman.

Yeah, this pretty much defines the beginning of your Demon's Souls experience to a tee.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 25, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I stopped following the thread as much when a bunch of games came out, and I might pick this up later but what are the impressions so far? Is melee combat in the end more complex, like some people were hinting at or is it mashing? How do the different classes play?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I stopped following the thread as much when a bunch of games came out, and I might pick this up later but what are the impressions so far? Is melee combat in the end more complex, like some people were hinting at or is it mashing? How do the different classes play?

Combat definitely seems to me more complex than it at first seemed -- there are a variety of attacks that can be combined with rolling, dodging, etc. It's really tight combat, too -- the game is hard, but when you mess up you can usually figure out why.

The thing with leveling up in this game is you can boost the stats of your character any way you want, and any limitations on using items are only stat-dependent, not class dependent. In fact, the better way to think about classes is that they're like starting builds, rather than actual character classes in the sense of a traditional PC RPG. You can grow your character any way you want.

Great OP, Policenaut.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think the melee combat is definitely far from button mashing. There's a lot that goes into proper timing, movement, and positioning that makes combat a lot more rewarding, there are still times when things die to mashing R1 (like the enemies in the first stage) but as you get further in you'll start having to form strategies. It's pretty sweet, having to come up with methods to fight each enemy.

All the classes seem to have their own quirks, I took to Knight and that means that I get right up in people's faces with my awesome sword and shield to bust their heads. There are other classes that really fly though, just darting around rolling and getting backstabs or nuking enemies with giant fireballs. I'm sure some of the Thieves/Nobles/other non-Knight weaklings from the old thread can follow this up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Real depth to the melee combat. It's a completely different experience running around with a two-handed club than it is working your way forward with a shield and spear combo, and as enemies have very different resistances (skeletons, for instance, will just laugh at you if you use a spear on them, but get flattened by the club), it pays to learn a couple of different styles.

While it is possible to eventually properly outlevel enemies, until you're past the point where they're barely hurting you, they're still a real danger. Get overconfident, and those guys you've killed 50 times already can and will carve you up.

That's what I like about the game, really. 90% of deaths come from overconfidence.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 28, 2009

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

My favorite character so far is my Barbarian. I started with the intent of being a bruiser who just wades up to people, heavy armor be damned, and gets in their face. But thanks to my comically high Endurance and my rings (Great Strength and Thief's Ring), I'm a giant bruiser who has a tower shield and a sword taller than I am who is nearly invisible until he approaches you, suddenly impaling you with his enormous claymore.

Plus it was amazingly rewarding going from loser with a club and boxer shorts to badass wielding an enormous sword and black plate armor.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

I think the melee combat is definitely far from button mashing. There's a lot that goes into proper timing, movement, and positioning that makes combat a lot more rewarding, there are still times when things die to mashing R1 (like the enemies in the first stage) but as you get further in you'll start having to form strategies. It's pretty sweet, having to come up with methods to fight each enemy.

All the classes seem to have their own quirks, I took to Knight and that means that I get right up in people's faces with my awesome sword and shield to bust their heads. There are other classes that really fly though, just darting around rolling and getting backstabs or nuking enemies with giant fireballs. I'm sure some of the Thieves/Nobles/other non-Knight weaklings from the old thread can follow this up.

I'm playing a Magician and don't have any of the big nukes yet, so I still do my fair share of sword/shield use (there's no 2 handed staves for magic users, so you'll always have a hand free for a shield if you want when you've got your casting catalyst/talisman equipped). Note that you can start casting a spell while moving, but when the spell actually goes off your character stops moving for a second or two, so you have to be careful about choosing when to shoot and when to keep moving. The Fire Spray spell is unique, though - it fires a cheap blob of fire every half a second or so you're holding down the button, and while each doesn't do much damage, you can keep moving as it's casting, so it's extremely handy against enemies that you absolutely can't stop moving around.

It's a good balancing act between knowing what enemies you are safe to engage and which ones are dangerous enough to justify spending MP on - between the MP regen rings, swords, and the fact that you can cheaply buy Spices later on for MP restores it's much less of a rationing act than early on, where you're going to be a melee character with a few powerful ranged shots as backup.

As has been said, though, the starting "classes" are simply initial sets of stats/equipment/magic, so find one that sorta fits your intended playstyle and then develop from there. If you wanted to start one of the heavy melee classes for strong armor and then put a bunch of soul levels into magic to become a nuker, go ahead!

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Policenaut posted:

Co-Operative
However if you have already defeated a Boss of that area you cannot fight it again with friends.

You can actually do this. Just today i helped a guy defeat Flamelurker when i had already defeated him in my game. He went down so quick. :)

Awesome OP regardless. It has reminded me how good it is and now i am looking forward to playing it when i get home!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

What's the best bet for buying the game at this point? eBay?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
How different are miracles to magic? Does it perform more of a support role, with things like evacuation and resurrect, with magic being more about doing damage, or are they pretty interchangeable? I guess I'm asking does a magic/miracle user specialise in one path or is it advantageous/economical to use both?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunday Punch posted:

How different are miracles to magic? Does it perform more of a support role, with things like evacuation and resurrect, with magic being more about doing damage, or are they pretty interchangeable? I guess I'm asking does a magic/miracle user specialise in one path or is it advantageous/economical to use both?

Magic is mainly offense with a side of utility spells, so someone specializing in magic can do a significant portion of their damage via spellcasting.

Miracles are mostly defense + utility. I think they get one very high level miracle attack but you're going to be using miracles to supplement your physical offense through the game.

That said, 10 faith is all you need to be able to equip 1 miracle, and there's some very good choices (Evacuation for 20K lets you warp back to the Nexus with all your souls at any point, Heal, etc), so pretty much anyone can justify a little faith for that.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Tricky posted:

What's the best bet for buying the game at this point? eBay?

I think several online import shops have fulfilled all their pre-orders and are shipping new orders. I know a friend of mine ordered it from NCSX last week and his order shipped right away.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
The OP says only get the Asian version, but the Korean version is good too, right? Most of the copies on Ebay are from South Korea, but they say you can play those in English as well.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

The OP says only get the Asian version, but the Korean version is good too, right? Most of the copies on Ebay are from South Korea, but they say you can play those in English as well.

Yeah -- in the last thread somebody here (can't remember his name) got a Korean copy from an Ebay seller, and when he put it in his PS3, it had English text.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Weapon choice seems to make a huge difference to the combat, as the different types of weapons work in pretty different ways. I started the game as a Hunter, which gave me a battle axe and longbow, and the blue knights were ruining my poo poo because I could only get in 1 arrow shot undetected before they'd mutilate me with their giant swords, and the axe was too slow and did little damage against their heavy armour. But once I got a spear, the added attack range and piercing effect made them way less of an obstacle, even though it had the same attack power as the battleaxe. But then again the spear has a really narrow attack point, unlike the sweep of the axe, so it sucks for multiple enemies. Switching weapons appropriate to the situation really helps with the combat, and it's implemented more effectively in Demon's Souls than in any game I've played before.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

OK, where the hell is the Thief Ring? The wiki says to jump off a balcony when you see the firebomber behind the barrels. Is this in the tower where you go down to get the Cling Ring? And if it is there is no balcony before you get to the firebomber. Just the stairs you are going down.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The thread title pretty much sums up the entire loving game. :saddowns:

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

jabro posted:

OK, where the hell is the Thief Ring? The wiki says to jump off a balcony when you see the firebomber behind the barrels. Is this in the tower where you go down to get the Cling Ring? And if it is there is no balcony before you get to the firebomber. Just the stairs you are going down.

I'm not great with directions, but you know when staring down a narrow walkway with barrels, and straight ahead is an enemy inside a small room. When you get close he throws a flame into the barrels, exploding them?

Ok, well from that walkway where the barrels are, facing the enemy straight ahead, the Thief's ring is basically at your 5:00 o'clock (to your right, probably behind you a little). It's on a lower level than the walkway you're on. The stairs you came down that you did a u-turn on at the bottom to face the barrels is where you want to be. Go up them about 1/3 the way then walk off and land on the ledge on the far side of the walkway. You'll see the lower level you drop off at below you. Once you land on the edge, you'll need to walk to your right probably a little before dropping off.

Sorry if that was long, but it was as thorough and basic as I can explain.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Kessel posted:

I'm so happy that Policenaut chose that for the thread title. People need to get used to seeing those words in that order as soon as possible if they're going to play this game.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Robiben posted:

You can actually do this. Just today i helped a guy defeat Flamelurker when i had already defeated him in my game. He went down so quick. :)

Awesome OP regardless. It has reminded me how good it is and now i am looking forward to playing it when i get home!

You are misunderstanding. Once you beat the boss, others cannot join YOUR game in that area. You however are free to join someone elses game to help them tackle the boss.

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

jabro posted:

It's on the same ledge Ostrava is hanging out on before you rescue him.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sunday Punch posted:

Weapon choice seems to make a huge difference to the combat, as the different types of weapons work in pretty different ways. I started the game as a Hunter, which gave me a battle axe and longbow, and the blue knights were ruining my poo poo because I could only get in 1 arrow shot undetected before they'd mutilate me with their giant swords, and the axe was too slow and did little damage against their heavy armour. But once I got a spear, the added attack range and piercing effect made them way less of an obstacle, even though it had the same attack power as the battleaxe. But then again the spear has a really narrow attack point, unlike the sweep of the axe, so it sucks for multiple enemies. Switching weapons appropriate to the situation really helps with the combat, and it's implemented more effectively in Demon's Souls than in any game I've played before.

This is why you use a straight sword. After using a curved sword and mace combo for most of the game, swapping to a straight sword (or katana) has been utterly revolutionary for me.

The R1 attacks are all swinging attacks with huge arcs that are great for crowds, but then the R2 is a thrusting attack like a rapier that actually does piercing damage, not slashing like the swings. Combo all of that with being fast and having a really great Forward + R1 shove and they're just awesome... you'll still need a blunt for skeletons and such, but the sword covers almost everything else.

EDIT: Oh, and Policenaut, you need to add the IRC info to the OP. That seems to have become the major way that goons arrange meetups to play together and whatnot.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 28, 2009

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kessel posted:

I'm taking credit for it. :colbert:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I'm taking credit for it. :colbert:

What the gently caress happened to your avatar?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Policenaut posted:

Simple example - I'm soul level 40, and I'm currently fiddling around with 4-1, 3-2, 2-3, etc. A ways into the game. So I went back to 1-2, just to fiddle around.

The blue knights there can STILL take me from full health to dead in ONE combo if I'm snoozing. I was yawning through everything else, let one of them get a shield slam off on me, didn't dodge the followup, aaaaand dead. Woops.

The melee combat is extremely fulfilling, and requires a fair bit of skill. Button mashing will get you killed fast.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, it's possible to take out the Red Dragon in 1-2 with magic as well as the usual "Fire hundreds of arrows at it" method.

Stock up on spices, climb the first tower in the stage, and stand in front of the middle of the three sniper holes facing the direction the dragon strafes from. Equip a regular projectile spell (I used Soul Light, but if you don't have it or want to save MP and don't mind the process taking longer, Soul Arrow would probably work fine too) and any magic attack boosters you have.

When the dragon strafes the wall he basically flies almost straight at you. When he's nearing the end of his path, fire your magic at him (you don't have to lock on, and in fact the timing is a lot tighter if you try to lock and fire). If you've aimed and timed it right he'll fly right into your spell and take full damage (I was hitting for about 120 damage a Soul Light). If you want to make sure you're hitting him, lock on after you've fired and you can watch to see if the damage appears over his life bar.

Fire your spells, use spices as needed, and he'll go down pretty fast.

On an unrelated note, while Moving Soul Arrow is a tricky spell to use properly, it's a lot of fun to play with and potentially really strong. Was hitting the 1-3 boss with all five arrows and knocking 650 HP off him a cast.

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some
Treads, if you read this, I replied to you on the other thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3072632&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=82#post358548729) offering to buy your spare copy, but I couldn't email you because that's apparently been disabled, and I can't PM you.

I'm still willing to buy your extra copy, so if you could email me at alex.vidal [at] gmail.com, we can get this ball rolling.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Fighting black phantoms is a laggy mess sometimes, it's really irritating. There was one of those annoying falchion/small shield using guys fighting me, and I was crushing him. He rolled next to me, on my side, and in mid-swing he backstabbed me and then finished me off with a quick slash before I could bring my shield up. It's still usually fun fighting as a Black Phantom or fighting them off, but the lag can make it really frustrating sometimes.

Edit: People have mentioned games that are similar to this one, like Monster Hunter and King's Field... can anyone tell me where to get those or what systems they're for?

Zarick fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 29, 2009

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Another trick to using magic: Many of the awesome spells that you will use the entire game are the basic projectile spells, like Fireball or Soul Light. Thing about these is that your character charges it up a bit then stops and casts it. Now, you can move around while your charging it but if you're locked on it kinda limits your speed. What you can do is run around charging it for that 1 second and then quickly lock on to someone at the last minute to fire it at the baddie. Pretty good when bad guys start getting close to you and you have to move FAST out of their attack range but need to start dishing out the damage so they dont follow you.

Does anyone have any preferences for spells? There are some choices you can make in the game in regards to picking spells. For example the boss soul from 1-4 gave me Firestorm. But I now know there are other spells like Fireball and some attack miracle.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

I'm regretting that I tried to focus on Magic instead of Miracles, because some of them look incredibly useful. My wanderer is becoming a pretty good multitasker now that I have the White Bow though :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zarick posted:

Edit: People have mentioned games that are similar to this one, like Monster Hunter and King's Field... can anyone tell me where to get those or what systems they're for?

Demon's Souls is basically King's Field: The Next Generation. Same studio, even. Here's a huge fansite with info on all the games and the systems they're for, and even a full-length fangame made using an official King's Field Construction Kit app.

Monster Hunter is primarily on the PSP right now, but the next game in the series is coming out on the Wii. It shares a lot of gameplay with Demon's Souls. The entire game is basically 'travel here, find huge deadly boss-monster that can wreck you in two hits, kill it, and turn its bones into new weapons', repeat until you are god. There's no levelling at all, either. It's just you and your gear and your skills Vs the monsters.

That sounds limiting, but there are more bosses than there are normal enemies. Something like 55 different boss types in the most recent PSP iteration.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 29, 2009

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Tortolia posted:

On an unrelated note, while Moving Soul Arrow is a tricky spell to use properly, it's a lot of fun to play with and potentially really strong. Was hitting the 1-3 boss with all five arrows and knocking 650 HP off him a cast.

This is interesting -- I'm not at the point yet I can use that spell, but I rely so heavily on Soul Arrow, I'm looking forward to getting this upgrade. Damage-wise, do you think it's a lot better than, say, Fireball? Is each of the arrows as strong (or stronger) than a Soul Arrow spell?

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?
I'm convinced, but now it's back ordered everywhere. :argh: GOONS!!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Heh, just made BP Scirvir my bitch :c00lbert:

After reading how hard he supposedly was, I decided to go All Black in 2-1 then did the whole Primeval Demon into BP Scirvir deal and took him on. With my enchanted Blueblood Sword and my +5 Adjucator's Shield I just wrecked him, no time for him to even do his Miracles.

...Of course, I'll neglect to mention that his Fireball nuked me to roughly 8 HP (out of 75% of 1001 HP) and made me panic like a little girl. But s'all good 'cuz I got my Talisman of Beasts. God drat do I want that spell now. I'd love to go online with doubled magic power and stand in corridors waiting for the Tower Shield / Meat Cleaver assholes with it. Seriously, gently caress that combination :argh:

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

This is interesting -- I'm not at the point yet I can use that spell, but I rely so heavily on Soul Arrow, I'm looking forward to getting this upgrade. Damage-wise, do you think it's a lot better than, say, Fireball? Is each of the arrows as strong (or stronger) than a Soul Arrow spell?

I don't play a mage, but my brother does -- Moving Soul Arrow doesn't share many characteristics with Soul Arrow except a name and a damage type. Soul Arrow is a straightforward shot... Moving Soul Arrow conjures up to five spheres around you, that fly out at a target when you get near them. The only problem is that if one of the spheres nick terrain, they fizzle out, and they will also track targets through walls and fire, wasting the hefty 40 MP that it costs. Used well, it can do an extreme amount of damage... but you can't just strafe and fire like with Soul Arrow.

Personally if I made a mage I'd keep Soul Arrow and Soul Light (which is more of a successor to Soul Arrow... it's just like it but does more damage for more MP, and penetrates targets). Moving Soul Arrow probably does more damage than Fireball... if all of the projectiles hit. Each type has its own advantages, but I prefer the type of spell that I'm in control of, because sometimes the AI is dumb.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Zarick posted:

I don't play a mage, but my brother does -- Moving Soul Arrow doesn't share many characteristics with Soul Arrow except a name and a damage type. Soul Arrow is a straightforward shot... Moving Soul Arrow conjures up to five spheres around you, that fly out at a target when you get near them. The only problem is that if one of the spheres nick terrain, they fizzle out, and they will also track targets through walls and fire, wasting the hefty 40 MP that it costs. Used well, it can do an extreme amount of damage... but you can't just strafe and fire like with Soul Arrow.

Personally if I made a mage I'd keep Soul Arrow and Soul Light (which is more of a successor to Soul Arrow... it's just like it but does more damage for more MP, and penetrates targets). Moving Soul Arrow probably does more damage than Fireball... if all of the projectiles hit. Each type has its own advantages, but I prefer the type of spell that I'm in control of, because sometimes the AI is dumb.

Thanks -- that's very helpful. Between that and what Policenaut just posted, sounds like it might be more beneficial to just get Fireball now, and use the Yellow Demon's Soul for the Insanity Catalyst.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Is there a point where you would use Flamethrower over Soul Arrow? I tried it against the mini-Phalanxes, but it did less damage than Soul Arrow, despite costing twice as much MP.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Is there a point where you would use Flamethrower over Soul Arrow? I tried it against the mini-Phalanxes, but it did less damage than Soul Arrow, despite costing twice as much MP.

Fire seems to work well against the mindflayers in 3-1, stunning them when you hit them with Flamethrower. I'm not sure if it does a lot more damage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, so where is Selen Vinland supposed to be when 5-2 is fully Black?

I just killed the Primeval Demon of 5-2 and got my Colorless Demon's Soul for it, but I can't find BP Selen. I need to kill her in order to get Blind for the Soldier's Trophy (1 of 6 Uniques left to get) but I'm not finding her at this supposed "island right after the Fog Door"

• Locked thread