Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

Industrial posted:

How do I get more L. splinters of shrpstone?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

The easiest way would to be just buy them off the 2-2 vendor. But the mini-phalanxes in world 1, and the miners in world 2 drop them as well. Some of the earlier chapter 1 and 2 geckos seem to drop them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Industrial posted:

The vendor in the giant open bearbug room in 2-2 sells them for 1000 souls each. They're also reasonably common drops off the miners in world 2 and the slimes in 1-2.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

Industrial posted:

The easiest way would to be just buy them off the 2-2 vendor. But the mini-phalanxes in world 1, and the miners in world 2 drop them as well. Some of the earlier chapter 1 and 2 geckos seem to drop them as well.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

For someone just starting out, is Wanderer a good choice? The wiki hurts more than it helps really, there's no info about it past "it's a hybrid of thief" but doesn't really say thief and what else.

Thinking about either Soldier or Wanderer or Thief, I just wanna hit guys with swords and do big damage and not wear huge armors.

I'm a Wanderer and I think they're great as long as you aren't in a huge hurry to use magic or miracles. The falchion is a great starter weapon since you swing it in an arc and it's decently powerful, plus with your high luck collecting health items shouldn't be a hassle.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Ryven posted:

Patches the Hyena? He doesn't sell them.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Industrial posted:

Patches the Hyena? He doesn't sell them.

There's a vendor down and behind where patches is in 2-2.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Schubalts posted:

Yes. Blue phantoms dying moves you towards black tendency.

Should be a .5 move to black. Although the only boss Ive had someone die to actually in coop so far was the 3-2 where he punted someone off the ledge. Got lucky on 3-3, two other people with the meat cleaver and me with my moon Kilij and whoever was chosen as monk was cut down but fast. On another note, I got the meat cleaver bit. I still like my Kilij better.

But on 1-2 I could see someone dying without proper prep or if they tried to go toe to toe with the knights tower shield, otherwise, I found it a really easy fight.... gently caress that dragon though, took me forever with a comp shortbow.

Ill look into joining the IRC channel, Im doing two leveled runs and an unleveled character, so I should have a character to help anyone who needs it.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Dizzybone posted:

I'm a Wanderer and I think they're great as long as you aren't in a huge hurry to use magic or miracles. The falchion is a great starter weapon since you swing it in an arc and it's decently powerful, plus with your high luck collecting health items shouldn't be a hassle.

Not to mention that classes are more of a "what you start as" thing..
Although the luck helps a lot for new players, I would suggest them just because of the starting conditions being very good for a new player (high luck and falchion) If not wanderer Noble (for the MP ring early) or Thief (Luck and high soul level to start)

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I found the wanderer pretty harsh as a first class since I tried to block everything instead of avoiding or parrying, which is much better with a knight or other class that starts with a 100% shield. The wanderer starts with an 80%. Later on you'll have to learn to dodge anyway however, so you could argue it's better to get used to that.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

I found the wanderer pretty harsh as a first class since I tried to block everything instead of avoiding or parrying, which is much better with a knight or other class that starts with a 100% shield. The wanderer starts with an 80%. Later on you'll have to learn to dodge anyway however, so you could argue it's better to get used to that.

I honestly didn't notice it..then again the only things I tried to block were the soldiers.Although thinking back its one of the reasons I didn't try to block everything (I started as wanderer first), that and their shield not being able to take any strong hits.

And sorry for the double post earlier :gonk:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the classes are actually pretty balanced in terms of stat and item distribution, which is nice. Sure, starting as the Noble instead of the Magician is nice if you want to go as a caster for the early MP ring, but you're starting 1-1 with a weaker magic stat and an attack spell that isn't as strong versus the enemies you'll be fighting in the first stage (Soul Arrow instead of Flamethrower). Magician has to be more careful about MP use but they've got a stronger attack spell (and one that is extremely strong against Phalanx) and better stats almost entirely across the board due to starting at a higher soul level (plus Water Veil for dealing with those firebombing assholes).

Once you finish 1-1 it's mostly a non-issue since then you can go and grab any number of items that'll help round out your chosen class.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Tortolia posted:

I think the classes are actually pretty balanced in terms of stat and item distribution, which is nice. Sure, starting as the Noble instead of the Magician is nice if you want to go as a caster for the early MP ring, but you're starting 1-1 with a weaker magic stat and an attack spell that isn't as strong versus the enemies you'll be fighting in the first stage (Soul Arrow instead of Flamethrower). Magician has to be more careful about MP use but they've got a stronger attack spell (and one that is extremely strong against Phalanx) and better stats almost entirely across the board due to starting at a higher soul level (plus Water Veil for dealing with those firebombing assholes).

Once you finish 1-1 it's mostly a non-issue since then you can go and grab any number of items that'll help round out your chosen class.

Pretty much...
I like that with enough work any class can become anything you want fairly quick.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Should I be worrying about world/character tendency while going through the game? Or is it possible to go back and get tendency specific things later on?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpactVector posted:

Should I be worrying about world/character tendency while going through the game? Or is it possible to go back and get tendency specific things later on?

I'd say keep an eye on it and remember a few of the tendancy-exclusive things in each World, but don't actually worry about it. Most of the tendancy things are stuff that you'd probably only want to mess around with after you've gotten very familiar and far in the game, you can definitely go back and get them later but it might be harder (due to the new difficulty of White Tendancy)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Policenaut posted:

I'd say keep an eye on it and remember a few of the tendancy-exclusive things in each World, but don't actually worry about it. Most of the tendancy things are stuff that you'd probably only want to mess around with after you've gotten very familiar and far in the game, you can definitely go back and get them later but it might be harder (due to the new difficulty of White Tendancy)

Thanks Policenaut. I'm just starting to get to the point in my fighting ability where I don't die every five minutes so I figured that if a new character was in order, now might be a good time (currently SL 30).

I might try out some of the multiplayer aspects of the game tonight. Any advice for that?

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

Thanks Policenaut. I'm just starting to get to the point in my fighting ability where I don't die every five minutes so I figured that if a new character was in order, now might be a good time (currently SL 30).

I might try out some of the multiplayer aspects of the game tonight. Any advice for that?

If you feel your game lag for a moment and you're not in spirit form, you're being invaded. It'll take a minute or so, so use that time to prepare. On the flip side, be very careful of ambushes when invading. Treat every corner as a threat. Item's like the thief ring do work during PVP, and likewise any spell effects on your character (like mana regen from the crescent falchion) will be visible to another player.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

The Raglay posted:

If you feel your game lag for a moment and you're not in spirit form, you're being invaded. It'll take a minute or so, so use that time to prepare. On the flip side, be very careful of ambushes when invading. Treat every corner as a threat. Item's like the thief ring do work during PVP, and likewise any spell effects on your character (like mana regen from the crescent falchion) will be visible to another player.
Also, learn where the Black Phantom spawns in (by yourself invading in that level) - it's always the same spot, which can give you some hint as to direction of likely attack depending on the map and its choke points.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ImpactVector posted:

It's level restricted, meaning the people you interact with are somewhere around your soul level..
This comes into play especially when trying to find partners for bosses. If no-one is showing up and you've tried at different times and still no-one appears, perhaps most people doing it are outside of your level range.

Also, remember that tendency resets while online every time you quit, so if you can do two bosses in a row coop with one person from neutral you should be able to boost any area to pure white. (1(Boss in body)+.5(Per coop player))*2=+3... and once you've finished the final boss of a stage you're more or less stuck as far as white tendency goes. Although if you can get two people in on the first boss you can solo the second boss if you -know- you can do it (I wouldn't say this about any boss on NG+ really, even a couple of strays from phalanx will murder you there.)

Once you've made one run through each stage you shouldn't have to worry as much since you'll know what to expect. But still watch out, just because you know there's an enemy around doesn't mean your complacency wont kill you.

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you for the great OP, Policenaut. I only managed about 5 pages in the first thread before I ordered my copy. I haven't put a lot of time into it yet, but I managed to get to the boss of 1-2 last night where I was promptly squashed by his shield after clearing out the crossbows. Tonight, revenge is mine. Or I die again.

Loving the game, thanks again.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Alrighty,

I need two brave goons to help me take on the 1-5 Boss. If you around around soul level 75+ I could use your help. I can take him down without too much of a problem, but I keep getting sucker punched. The dude is an awesome fight, and has alot of tricks.

So if you want to help. Right after the 1-4 boss, Break the wagons and crates on the immediate right, and put your summon sign there.

I'll be on about 5pm eastern time. Hope you guys can help!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Talran posted:

It's level restricted, meaning the people you interact with are somewhere around your soul level..
This comes into play especially when trying to find partners for bosses. If no-one is showing up and you've tried at different times and still no-one appears, perhaps most people doing it are outside of your level range.

Also, remember that tendency resets while online every time you quit, so if you can do two bosses in a row coop with one person from neutral you should be able to boost any area to pure white. (1(Boss in body)+.5(Per coop player))*2=+3... and once you've finished the final boss of a stage you're more or less stuck as far as white tendency goes. Although if you can get two people in on the first boss you can solo the second boss if you -know- you can do it (I wouldn't say this about any boss on NG+ really, even a couple of strays from phalanx will murder you there.)

Once you've made one run through each stage you shouldn't have to worry as much since you'll know what to expect. But still watch out, just because you know there's an enemy around doesn't mean your complacency wont kill you.
That stuff with the white tendency seems like kind of a pain... is there anything you really need it for? I'm obviously on my first playthrough, so I don't really trust that I'd be able to face any new bosses and not get killed. I generally die at least once on each boss learning its attack patterns.

It's also unfortunate that tendency resets like that. I don't generally have much time where I know I won't be interrupted and/or have the attention span to go kill a bunch of bosses in a row and then still do whatever I need with that tendency I just farmed.

And I've definitely noticed that you can't take anything for granted. Those miners with the pickaxes can dish out some serious pain if you're not paying attention.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I ignored tendency until I was about 75% complete on my playthrough. I'm now using my stockpile of Ephemeral Eyes (and the odd resurrection from a boss kill or going to invade another player) to do the various Pure Black events (got enough Colorless Souls to get the Adjudicator Shield to +5 - 8 HP restored a second!)

I figure there's a decent enough chance that the difficulties with Pure White right now are due to bugs and/or unintended changes from the last patch, so I'll hit those up on New Game+ if they get around to making it more feasible again.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tortolia posted:

I ignored tendency until I was about 75% complete on my playthrough. I'm now using my stockpile of Ephemeral Eyes (and the odd resurrection from a boss kill or going to invade another player) to do the various Pure Black events (got enough Colorless Souls to get the Adjudicator Shield to +5 - 8 HP restored a second!)

When you upgrade the Adjudicator Shield like that, does the physical defense stat increase from 90 to 100? I'd like to start using the thing to take advantage of the HP regen, but I spend so much time blocking I'm loathe to go back to a shield that's going to let some physical damage through every time I block.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

When you upgrade the Adjudicator Shield like that, does the physical defense stat increase from 90 to 100? I'd like to start using the thing to take advantage of the HP regen, but I spend so much time blocking I'm loathe to go back to a shield that's going to let some physical damage through every time I block.

Sorry, Adjucator's Shield's improvements don't increase the Defensive capabilities of it. All they do is make it give more HP in its regen. If you have a +5 version of it with a Regenerator's Ring, you're regaining 12 HP a second

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Sorry, Adjucator's Shield's improvements don't increase the Defensive capabilities of it. All they do is make it give more HP in its regen. If you have a +5 version of it with a Regenerator's Ring, you're regaining 12 HP a second

Hmmm. Do you find that offsets the 10% of physical damage that gets through when you block? I guess I should try it out, but I feel like I spend so much time hunkered down behind a shield, the 10% of damage is going to equal or exceed the HP regen. Eh -- one more thing to experiment with tonight.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

McCoy Pauley posted:

Shield improvements never improve the physical percentage, unfortunately. You can improve the magic by converting over to a Dark Shield, though.

My beef with the Adjudicator is that it's heavy. I like my fast blocking and occasional parries, although lately I haven't been parrying as much.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

Sadly not. The only thing the higher levels of the shield provide are increased HP regen (2 HP at base, then 3, 4, 5, 6, and finally 8 hp/sec).

Before you start spending the colorless souls to upgrade it try it out for a bit and see if the damage you take on physical blocks is going to be an issue for you. If not, it's definitely worth pumping it up. 480 HP/minute is basically a full heal for my mage if I'm in soul form with the Cling Ring on.

I've got ridiculous amounts of herbs in my stash now (I've maxed out the 99 storage for Late Moon Herbs) thanks to the shield keeping me healed during normal level running and 25 luck + Sword of Searching for massive item drops (1-3 is a goldmine of herbs).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

Hmmm. Do you find that offsets the 10% of physical damage that gets through when you block? I guess I should try it out, but I feel like I spend so much time hunkered down behind a shield, the 10% of damage is going to equal or exceed the HP regen. Eh -- one more thing to experiment with tonight.

It usually does, having +12 HP a second is a really amazing thing for certain fights. In PvP you practically have a permanent advantage because of the usual "dancing" people end up doing in fights and in most bosses your downtime equals to regeneration.

It's pretty useless in some instances, like it won't really be much help if you go to 4-4 and get swarmed by Manta Rays, but it has its uses.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Policenaut posted:

It usually does, having +12 HP a second is a really amazing thing for certain fights. In PvP you practically have a permanent advantage because of the usual "dancing" people end up doing in fights and in most bosses your downtime equals to regeneration.

It's pretty useless in some instances, like it won't really be much help if you go to 4-4 and get swarmed by Manta Rays, but it has its uses.

I find it the opposite in PVP, (regen being useful, that is) but then I'm very aggressive when in PVP, and if I'm not in there trying to kill you (or vice versa) then I'm running off through the level and using spawns to distract while I come around for a new approach or use a different tactic.

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

There's only a few things left to do in NG+ before I finish the round and I've been wondering about the difficulty increase. Will NG++ increase as much as NG+ did?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

So I upgraded my winged spear +7 to a scraping spear and it's attack power dropped. Am I missing something here?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Industrial posted:

So I upgraded my winged spear +7 to a scraping spear and it's attack power dropped. Am I missing something here?

I've noticed this as well. I think the rating of the bonus for Dexterity increases, so there's that, but yeah, I'm still not sure the Scraping Spear was a good use of my Winged Spear +7.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

McCoy Pauley posted:

I've noticed this as well. I think the rating of the bonus for Dexterity increases, so there's that, but yeah, I'm still not sure the Scraping Spear was a good use of my Winged Spear +7.
The dexterity bonus increase is substantial (D->S), though I never actually sat down and compared the damage before and after that upgrade. I just assumed it would be stronger AND have dex bonus. I guess this explains why the spear wasn't so amazingly much better like I was expecting.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

McCoy Pauley posted:

Weird, my dex is 28.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Scraping Spear apparently does some extreme damage to enemy armor and weapon. In a PvP battle, I took a few hits from someone who had it and suddenly all my armor broke at once (costing me over 15k Souls to fix)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Policenaut posted:

The Scraping Spear apparently does some extreme damage to enemy armor and weapon. In a PvP battle, I took a few hits from someone who had it and suddenly all my armor broke at once (costing me over 15k Souls to fix)

That's consistent with the description, I guess. Sounds like it's useful for being a dick in PvP, but wouldn't help much with any enemy NPCs. At least, I've never noticed it wrecking NPC equipment (and I'm not sure the game even handles NPC equipment that way).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Scraping is like old Acid Fog, but in spear form. It will destroy whatever gear the target is wearing. It's really, really dickheaded to use in PVP, but then again, once you get up past level 70ish, it seems all the Japanese players become complete dickheads and use whatever bullshit gimmicks possible to win, particularly if it'll make you die an accidental death and thus lose Soul Levels.

Seriously... it was a very pronounced line in SL that, once I crossed, suddenly I had entered the realm of dickhead Japanese players, and it sucks. Has really killed a lot of the PVP jive I had going on before.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I've been looking for a game with really, really intense and fun melee combat for a while now, and as fate would have it I clicked on this thread.

The difficulty of the game doesn't really phase me- I'm used to playing games where dying is the standard and surviving for more than four or five seconds is an accomplishment. The thing that is stopping me from buying this game is the price.

I don't have a PS3, so would it be worth getting one for this game alone? Money isn't too tight for me, but I'd rather not be wasteful about what I have.

Another thing i'm wondering about the game- Just how diverse are the melee weapons? Am I going to be stuck with a single sword tree, or will I have everything ranging from flails to poleaxes to clubs to spears?

Finally- Just how hopeless am I in hoping for a PC port?

Any answers would be appreciated.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Forget about a PC port, and don't expect a US release any time soon

I don't think this game is quite worth buying a PS3 for - it is really drat good, but not ~$400 good.

On the other hand, the various PS3 exclusives (Resistance, Ratchet, Uncharted, MGS, etc), are all quite good, so if you're planning on playing more than just DS, or you were already looking at a PS3 for other reasons, it'd be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

And just to add, the game is as diverse as you want it do be. Want to never upgrade your armor and switch weapons as you find them? Sure thing. Want to explore the many upgrade paths each weapon has to offer? You can do that too. You can beat the game with your starting equipment without exploring even a third of the landscape, or you can really dig in. Is it a system seller? I don't think so, but I can tell you I've put 35-40 hours into it already and I can't wait to beat the game a second time so I can start on the third.

• Locked thread