Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

YorexTheMad posted:

From what I can tell Prank just alerts the enemy of a "noise" where the spell hits, they'll usually turn to look at the source, maybe take a few steps towards it. It seems similar to when you fire an arrow at an enemy who can't see you and it misses.

Soul Remains will actively bait some enemies into attacking wherever the remains land. When I was having some trouble with 4-2 I found I could get past certain annoying Black Phantoms and rolling skeletons by throwing remains near them on the cliff's edge; their default attack was to lunge/roll and gravity took care of the rest.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks :) I don't feel so bad for asking here, now - the wiki is blocked at work, so I couldn't look it up anyway.

EDIT:

King of Solomon posted:

I agree. I'll probably kill him in 1-1 or 1-2 in NG+, NG++, etc., because the fact that I screwed myself out of getting the Mausoleum key due to 1-3 pisses me right the gently caress off. I wanted to fight King Doran and get that armor set, drat it.

AWWWWW DAMMIT. I saved that douche in 1-1 the first time I ran through there, and he disappearred (which I figured he was supposed to). Later, I found the Mausoleum Key in a corner in 1-1. Does this mean he's dead in my game, so now I can't get his phat lewt? CRAP!

vvvvv Good to know. I missed out on his cool helm though, didn't I? Oh well.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jadz posted:

AWWWWW DAMMIT. I saved that douche in 1-1 the first time I ran through there, and he disappearred (which I figured he was supposed to). Later, I found the Mausoleum Key in a corner in 1-1. Does this mean he's dead in my game, so now I can't get his phat lewt? CRAP!

No, you got the key which is the important item. If you had left the level after he had died without getting that key it would be gone forever.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden

Ornamented Death posted:

Not true.

If you die before finishing the level, he'll be back at the gate (no red-eyed knights, though) and will begin wandering around. Since the gate is open, there's no reason for you to go right through the door before the gate, but Ostrava will wander in there, and those guys can kill him, especially if he aggros the assassin. You pretty much have to babysit him until you know exactly where he wanders.

I am seriously just going to kill him in all my subsequent playthroughs.

gently caress that is probably what happened in my game. i saw him wander off and fight people, but i thought he would be able to handle it by himself.. So hes probably dead :( but i looked everywhere for a "flame" didn't find anything.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Jadz posted:

vvvvv Good to know. I missed out on his cool helm though, didn't I? Oh well.

He only drops the key, or when you complete the quest, gives you a pure somethingstone in addition to the key.

If you kill his BP in 1-4, you get the Rune Sword/Rune Shield, but you should already have one of each of those by then.

I don't know which helm you're talking about, but you can use the key to get a helm.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oh...oh god, Tower of Latria. :ohdear:

The singing of the noblewoman, all of the corpses hanging from chains and encased in pots and the loving mindflayers :gonk:

I haven't even gotten to Fool's Idol yet, and this place is already creeping me out.

And I thought that Shrine of Storms was bad. Jeez. Still awesome though.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Ostrava wears the fluted helmet, if that's what you're after.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jadz posted:

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks :) I don't feel so bad for asking here, now - the wiki is blocked at work, so I couldn't look it up anyway.

The thing with Soul Remains is that enemies will attack them to the exclusion of everything else, even if you're standing right beside them. It basically makes anything into a great big backstab target, if they don't kill themselves flailing around near cliff edges.

The great thing is that they only cost 500 each, and given that later on you can be pulling in 1000+ per enemy easily, that's what makes them so easy to rely on.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Pretty sure Ostrava is just in the Fluted armor set. His armor looks the same as a Knight's starting equipment.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is it me or is the Brushwood armor really, really heavy? I'm a SL 24 Temple Knight, and I can't even wear a single piece of it without drastically going over my equip burden. It seems like I'd have to seriously specialize in Endurance to have any hope of wearing it, is there any better, lighter armor somewhere abouts in the game (or am I just too early in to be wearing stuff like that?)

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Palleon posted:

Is it me or is the Brushwood armor really, really heavy? I'm a SL 24 Temple Knight, and I can't even wear a single piece of it without drastically going over my equip burden. It seems like I'd have to seriously specialize in Endurance to have any hope of wearing it, is there any better, lighter armor somewhere abouts in the game (or am I just too early in to be wearing stuff like that?)

There is lighter armor, but don't expect to roll at max speed in the Brushwood without the Ring of Great Strength as well as pumping up endurance by quite a bit. But it's not really worth because it hurts your stamina regen heavily.

What I meant was, that there is lighter armor but nothing has as much physical protection as the Brushwood - but it comes at a price.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 19, 2009

Angry Son
Aug 24, 2007
You ever fuck a mutant?
Woke up this morning at 7, made some awesome coffee and spent an hour and a half fighting the Tower Knight with melee. That motherfucker is now dead. drat that feels good.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Armor is really bizarre anyways, some enemies do poo poo for damage against my Soul level 95 brushwood wearing badass but then a red knight or dual katana skeleton can still do half my bar at random. I like it for most of the regular enemies though and the game is fairly balanced for most types of fighting. I've yet to meet anything I couldn't kill due to lack of fast roll, they did a great job making sure every combat method is viable.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Arcaeris posted:

He only drops the key, or when you complete the quest, gives you a pure somethingstone in addition to the key.

If you kill his BP in 1-4, you get the Rune Sword/Rune Shield, but you should already have one of each of those by then.

I don't know which helm you're talking about, but you can use the key to get a helm.

I could have sworn on the wiki's armor section, Ostrovo's Ostrich's Ostrava's helm was listed as loot you could eventually get, which I would now miss out on. I guess I could be thinking of something else though.

EDIT: For the record, just about any different armor looks "cool" to me - my guy is a Soldier, and I am still in the same crappy plate armor I started the game in. I really need to find something different, I'm tired of looking like the guards from FFIX :(

And yeah, I wandered into the mausoleum before I knew what was in there, and found the king. He was like "Hey, wanna fight?" and I was all "Sure, let's do this!" and he was like "I'm gonna hack you up in a single hit with my gi-loving-normous sword, k?" and I was all "Sure no sweat!" :v:

Dominic White posted:

The thing with Soul Remains is that enemies will attack them to the exclusion of everything else, even if you're standing right beside them. It basically makes anything into a great big backstab target, if they don't kill themselves flailing around near cliff edges.

The great thing is that they only cost 500 each, and given that later on you can be pulling in 1000+ per enemy easily, that's what makes them so easy to rely on.

Oh awesome! That should make things a lot easier in some of these sections. I'll have to go looking for the dude who sells 'em, thanks :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 19, 2009

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW
the wiki lists the white bow as obtainable in 4-2, but I didnt find the bow. In which case 1-4 has a black phantom that drops it?

Also who sells soul remains?

davidb fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 19, 2009

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

davidb posted:

the wiki lists the white bow as obtainable in 4-2, but I didnt find the bow. In which case 1-4 has a black phantom that drops it?

Also who sells soul remains?

Can't you trade with the crow for one?

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

WalletBeef posted:

For the people who are cheesing bosses, you honestly don't know what you're missing out on : pure adrenaline.

I usually stick to all-out melee whenever I can on bosses, but I have to say, taking out Old King Doran with a couple poison clouds was hilarious. Cast, run away and watch him squirm.

I feel a little bad for killing an otherwise honorable and wise demigod King in such a cheap manner but his quick stamina regen ring is great.
:D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

primitive posted:

Can't you trade with the crow for one?

No that's holy arrows. To get the white bow, you need to: go to the left of the first reaper you face, assuming you're looking at his spawn. You go up the stairs there and you'll see an archway, hit the wall with your weapon and it'll fade and you can go through the secret door. At the bottom of the stairs watch out for a black dual katana wielding skeleton.

Follow the cliffside on the left (Assuming from the path you entered from facing out) and when you get all the way around you'll find a corpse with an item on it. The white bow.

Also, this is the way to the primordial demon in pure black tendency.

Oh and Graverobber Blige sells Soul Remains at the beginning of 4-2 if you saved him in 4-1 from the cell.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

KGBAgent185 posted:

No that's holy arrows.

You can trade the Crow a pure moonlightstone for a White Bow.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

evilalien posted:

You can trade the Crow a pure moonlightstone for a White Bow.

My bad, but that is such a waste.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Selen Vinland is my bane!

Well, that and all of 5-2. :suicide:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Cthulhuchan posted:

Selen Vinland is my bane!

Well, that and all of 5-2. :suicide:

Selen? Really? NOT the big fuckoff Black Phantom Trolls?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

davidb posted:

1-4 has a group of 3 black phantoms early on that appear regardless of tendency, one of which drops the bow. I'm not sure if it's a random or static drop but I've seen it on both times I've killed her. However, the one in 4-2 is probably the easier to get.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It took me until my third playthough to find the white bow in 4-2. It's behind a illusionary wall (that you can break by attacking) on the left side of the big chamber where the death guy is in. There's a black two-sworded skeleton right behind it, but lure him down the stairs slowly while doing ranged attacks at him and he will be toast. Anyway once you beat him slooowly make your way across the cliff edge.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It took me until my third playthough to find the white bow in 4-2. It's behind a illusionary wall (that you can break by attacking) on the left side of the big chamber where the death guy is in. There's a black two-sworded skeleton right behind it, but lure him down the stairs slowly while doing ranged attacks at him and he will be toast. Anyway once you beat him slooowly make your way across the cliff edge.

Isn't it like right next to the Primeval Demon? I wasn't even looking for it and I found it.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

KGBAgent185 posted:

Selen? Really? NOT the big fuckoff Black Phantom Trolls?

Trolls can't use anti-magic field, forcing me to use melee in the middle of a swamp I can't roll in. Nor are they using a fast and unblockable weapon, nor can they heal themselves nearly to full, NOR CAN THEY ROLL ABOUT IN THE BOG ALL DING-DONG DAY HEY LOOK AT ME I JUST LOVE MUCK.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

qbert posted:

Isn't it like right next to the Primeval Demon? I wasn't even looking for it and I found it.
I dunno, I haven't seen a primeval demon yet, I haven't gone all black yet. I've gone all white on at least worlds 1, 3, and 4 for a short time, but no black.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on my first time through the game, is all the White and Black tendency stuff worth doing? I got the White tendency stuff in world 2 which gave me a sword I can't use and a pure stone I won't use, World 5 which gave me a neat ring I'll never use and a giant hammer I also can't use, I started World 4 which gives you a sword that drains your health but the tendency changed so I can't collect the sword I'll never use. Apparently I can do White tendency in World 1 for armor I can't use and this is kind of a recurring theme at this point.

Also apparently doing some of the White Tendency stuff prevents you from doing Black Tendency stuff, so I have a crappy stone instead of the Talisman of Beasts

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Cthulhuchan posted:

Trolls can't use anti-magic field, forcing me to use melee in the middle of a swamp I can't roll in. Nor are they using a fast and unblockable weapon, nor can they heal themselves nearly to full, NOR CAN THEY ROLL ABOUT IN THE BOG ALL DING-DONG DAY HEY LOOK AT ME I JUST LOVE MUCK.

I dualhanded a Crescent Scimitar, it's faster than her attack. Just dump the shield (you can't use it against her anyway) and when she runs up, smack her with R1 a few times. She'll back off, try to do some miracle poo poo (dodge if she Rage of Gods) and then come back at you.

She's really freaking easy to beat. She will heal a few times, but not more than like 3 times.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Apparently I can do White tendency in World 1 for armor I can't use and this is kind of a recurring theme at this point.

Also apparently doing some of the White Tendency stuff prevents you from doing Black Tendency stuff, so I have a crappy stone instead of the Talisman of Beasts

You can do all the White AND Black things, as well as build your stats to use these items.

Miralda's armor is really good if you're a chick, it has decent defense and no stamina penalty.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't think that's the case. You can get to pure black by just dying repeatedly in body form, and the body and phantom versions of the NPCs seem to be independent. (On my first character I killed Body Miralda before Phantom Miralda, on my second I killed Phantom before Body, for example). So if you can get the level to pure black you should be able to see the Black Phantom regardless of if you've done the white tendency stuff or not.

Getting pure black will be useful each game if you want to get more Stones or Colorless souls, but most everything else you'll probably only care to do once (or not at all if you're not an OCD collector). The Talisman is probably the best thing you get from the tendencies, the Guillotine Axe may be nifty for a melee character once it's leveled up.

Dreamboat Zank
May 12, 2009

Project Oni posted:

I feel a little bad for killing an otherwise honorable and wise demigod King in such a cheap manner but his quick stamina regen ring is great.
:D

Don't feel too bad... You had no choice. An old demigod king wearing such revealing armor is definitely asking for it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Arcaeris posted:

Miralda's armor is really good if you're a chick, it has decent defense and no stamina penalty.

I must have missed something about how that "no stamina penalty" works, because when I got Miralda's armor, it seemed slightly less good than the leather armor my female hunter started with -- not quite as good defense and slightly heavier. How does the no stamina penalty thing work?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Speaking of White Tendencies and whatnot, has anyone tried killing Selen Vinland in 5-2 in her Body Form? The Wiki says she drops her armor set (Dull Gold) but the stats aren't mentioned anywhere. Is it Female Only?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Is it just me, or is the whole "tendency" system quite shittastic? I guess there's a good concept there somewhere, but the way it's executed is just so muddled.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
^^ Once you learn how to work, that is if you care enough it's not that bad - but it is still pretty stupid that you're likely to miss out on pure white on your first character.

McCoy Pauley posted:

I must have missed something about how that "no stamina penalty" works, because when I got Miralda's armor, it seemed slightly less good than the leather armor my female hunter started with -- not quite as good defense and slightly heavier. How does the no stamina penalty thing work?

Put on the full Brushwood set and empty your stamina bar, see how long it takes to fill up again. Now try without armor. There are apparently 4 levels of penalty those are listed both in the strategy and on the wiki, what the math behind it is I'm not sure, but it's pretty noticable in heavy armor.

YorexTheMad posted:

Speaking of White Tendencies and whatnot, has anyone tried killing Selen Vinland in 5-2 in her Body Form? The Wiki says she drops her armor set (Dull Gold) but the stats aren't mentioned anywhere. Is it Female Only?

It's called Beggar's in the Asian version, yes it's female only - and you can get it from a lone slug in the middle of that same area of the swamp, so no need to kill her at all.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 19, 2009

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Hamburger Test posted:

Put on the full Brushwood set and empty your stamina bar, see how long it takes to fill up again. Now try without armor. There are apparently 4 levels of penalty those are listed both in the strategy and on the wiki, what the math behind it is I'm not sure, but it's pretty noticable in heavy armor.

So if Miralda's armor is notable for having no stamina penalty, then the upshot is that my stamina should refill faster when wearing it than when I'm wearing the leather armor (a benefit that presumably offsets the slight increase in weight and decrease in defense)?

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

Do most people turn their Purple Flame Shield into a Dark one?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Hamburger Test posted:

It's called Beggar's in the Asian version, yes it's female only

Poo. I think this is my one pet peeve with the game, armor choices are so limited (especially compared to the overwhelming choices for weapons) and it seems like all but a handful of pieces are gender-restricted.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

McCoy Pauley posted:

So if Miralda's armor is notable for having no stamina penalty, then the upshot is that my stamina should refill faster when wearing it than when I'm wearing the leather armor (a benefit that presumably offsets the slight increase in weight and decrease in defense)?

It's higher defense overall than leather (alhtough very marginal). Lower defense than heavy leather but lighter than that. Yes, your stamina bar should refill slightly faster than with leather armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so just how great is the white bow? I've been using the lava bow for a long while now and I think it's pretty B.A. I'm soul level 60 and just grabbed the white bow. Unfortunately my knight (using gloom armor, demonsbane, purple flame shield) only has strength of 26 and dexterity of 16. In order to use the white bow it looks like I'll need to dump my next 12 levels all into strength and dexterity.

Is it worth it? I mean levels are getting much fewer and further between at this high of a level so it could take a while to use and I'd be forgoing points in stamina and intellect (so I can have enough spell slots for more than just my firestorm).

decisions decisions... I feel like I'm basically at a point where I'll have to devote all of the rest of my leveling till end-game to just one focus.

• Locked thread