Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Arrrthritis posted:

Another thing i'm wondering about the game- Just how diverse are the melee weapons? Am I going to be stuck with a single sword tree, or will I have everything ranging from flails to poleaxes to clubs to spears?
There is at least one spear, a bunch of swords European-style swords (small and large varieties), a bunch of Japanese-style swords, a couple of slashing / middle-eastern swords, a bunch of clubs (small and large and various others), axes, daggers/knives of various sorts, punch weapons (both blunt and bladed), and there's even a spiked shield you can swing at people.

All of which tend to be upgradeable through around 3-6 different paths, with a number turning into some entirely different special sort of weapon if you upgrade properly.

You can also dual-wield any of the above at will however you lie, as everything can potentially be one-handed. You can also two-hand any of the above.

Two-handing a spiked shield all the way through the game? Why yes, yes you can, if you have nerves of steel and don't mind dying often.

EDIT: As far as buying a PS3 for this game? For me, it would actually be close. This + Uncharted or Little Big Planet would be enough to sway me, easily - usually I would wait for 3 games I really wanted (and obviously signs that there was more on the horizon), but this one's good enough that it would reduce that to 2 for me, if that helps you at all?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Arrrthritis posted:

I don't have a PS3, so would it be worth getting one for this game alone? Money isn't too tight for me, but I'd rather not be wasteful about what I have.

It's hard to say that one game alone can justify the purchase of a system, but if any game could do so for the PS3, I'd say it's this one -- it's just so tremendously deep and the replay value looks to be immense. I would not be disappointed in my PS3 if it was a $500 Demon's Souls machine (frankly that's all it's been for the last month anyway).

Realistically, though, you don't need the PS3 to be a $500 Demon's Souls machine, because there are a number of other quality exclusives out there that should help justify the purchase, no matter what you're interested in. To what Victrix listed (Resistance, Ratchet, Uncharted, MGS) I would add Folklore, Warhawk, Siren, MLB The Show '09, and Little Big Planet.

So yeah, I'd say take the plunge and get the game.

EDIT: vvvvv-- I can't believe I forgot Valkyria Chronicles. That game is amazing, and if you have any interest in it, that plus Demon's Souls should be enough to put you over the edge.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 30, 2009

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Thanks to all who replied.

The only games I'm really interested in are Demon's Souls (of course), MGS, Valkyria chronicles, and maybe uncharted.

Shalinor's list of melee weapons has sealed the deal- for the game at least. I really love it when games go out of their way to provide you with a variety of weapons to choose from. Especially Axes, I loving love axes. And Flails. ((though the latter is absent in this game, probably because they would be a bitch to program))

I don't know, I'm still not sure if it would be worth it to get a PS3 for this game, and maybe MGS4. $500 is a bit too much for one game.

What are the odds of the game going up in price in a year or so? How soon do you guys think the PS3 will drop in price? I'm debating as to whether or not I should buy a PS3 and the game right now, buy the game right now and wait for a drop in price, or just wait altogether.

I will end up with a copy of this game and a PS3, be it in 2 weeks or 2 years.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
The PS3 is due for a price drop soon, I believe. Electronics/gaming stores usually have incentives for buying consoles at their store around price-drop time, as they know that new people will suddenly be in the market for a console and they want you to buy it from them as opposed to some other store. Best Buy in particular is good about giving away gift cards with high-profile releases and price drops.

As for the Adjudicator's shield, its situation is not unique. Colorless-soul upgrades tend to be extremely incremental—you'll get a slight boost in one aspect of the weapon/shield and that's it, unlike the major improvements found when you take a non-unique weapon/shield to the next tier up. For example, the only difference between a Dark Silver Shield and the +5 version is that the former has a Hit Resistance of 50 and the latter has a Hit Resistance of 65. Each colorless soul adds 3 to Hit Resistance, that's it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Arrrthritis posted:

Thanks to all who replied.

The only games I'm really interested in are Demon's Souls (of course), MGS, Valkyria chronicles, and maybe uncharted.

Shalinor's list of melee weapons has sealed the deal- for the game at least. I really love it when games go out of their way to provide you with a variety of weapons to choose from. Especially Axes, I loving love axes. And Flails. ((though the latter is absent in this game, probably because they would be a bitch to program))

I don't know, I'm still not sure if it would be worth it to get a PS3 for this game, and maybe MGS4. $500 is a bit too much for one game.

What are the odds of the game going up in price in a year or so? How soon do you guys think the PS3 will drop in price? I'm debating as to whether or not I should buy a PS3 and the game right now, buy the game right now and wait for a drop in price, or just wait altogether.

I will end up with a copy of this game and a PS3, be it in 2 weeks or 2 years.

The game probably won't go up in price but it probably won't get any cheaper either. It's looking like it'll wind up like Valkyria Chronicles where it'll remain at launch price forever.

There's a lot of rumbling that Sony may announce a Price Drop for the PS3 as soon as tomorrow, they've done their traditional "THERE IS NO PRICE DROP THAT WOULD BE GOOD :argh:" damage control which they always do and it would sort of make sense at this point.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

All right, the last thread and this one convinced me to put down an order for Demon's Souls. I got it through NCSX because I've had good experiences the last couple of times I ordered from them. I'm kinda looking forward to playing a punishing game. It's been a while.

Arrrthritis posted:

I have all these (except Demon's Souls obviously) and I just want to add that I think all of them are great.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Scraping is like old Acid Fog, but in spear form. It will destroy whatever gear the target is wearing. It's really, really dickheaded to use in PVP, but then again, once you get up past level 70ish, it seems all the Japanese players become complete dickheads and use whatever bullshit gimmicks possible to win, particularly if it'll make you die an accidental death and thus lose Soul Levels.

Seriously... it was a very pronounced line in SL that, once I crossed, suddenly I had entered the realm of dickhead Japanese players, and it sucks. Has really killed a lot of the PVP jive I had going on before.

Is that with or without doing the Thief and Graverobber ring combo? I don't PvP much at all (I don't invade, but I do get invaded when in physical form) and I haven't had any problems getting the jump on people with those ring combos.

I think I should upgrade the secret dagger with the Pulpstone and use that on fool black phantoms who invade my game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Policenaut posted:

The game probably won't go up in price but it probably won't get any cheaper either. It's looking like it'll wind up like Valkyria Chronicles where it'll remain at launch price forever.

There's a lot of rumbling that Sony may announce a Price Drop for the PS3 as soon as tomorrow, they've done their traditional "THERE IS NO PRICE DROP THAT WOULD BE GOOD :argh:" damage control which they always do and it would sort of make sense at this point.

Alright, looks like I'm waiting for the PS3 to drop in price, then I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

Until then, I'm going to have to satiate my melee bloodlust with some Dark Messiah, Mount & Blade, and maybe Zeno clash when that comes out.

One last thing i'm curious about- If I get the asian/korean version, will the text be in English? Will there be an option for the text to be in english? I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of foreign characters to equip a poleaxe. This may or may not be a dealbreaker.

Thanks!

vvThat is awesomevv

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 30, 2009

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Arrrthritis posted:

One last thing i'm curious about- If I get the asian/korean version, will the text be in English? Will there be an option for the text to be in english? I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of foreign characters to equip a poleaxe. This may or may not be a dealbreaker.

Thanks!

The Asian (and as far as I understand Korean) version features full English text support, it detects your PS3 is in English and switches the language to English just for you.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I'm just curious if and how stealth works in this game. Can you stay in the shadows as a Thief and attack at your choosing with a back stab? Is it based upon the environment's shadows or is just a flat stat? CAN I STEAL THINGS FROM UNSUSPECTING FOES!? I have the fear that thieves are just lightly armed warriors that are fast and have a nice gimmick, if stealth is there at all. Still looks like an excellent game, I'm just worried that I won't find the Thief very "thief-like". Also, still waiting for the game to arrive, so I'm completely ignorant on anything except oh preetty.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Hypha posted:

I'm just curious if and how stealth works in this game. Can you stay in the shadows as a Thief and attack at your choosing with a back stab? Is it based upon the environment's shadows or is just a flat stat? CAN I STEAL THINGS FROM UNSUSPECTING FOES!? I have the fear that thieves are just lightly armed warriors that are fast and have a nice gimmick, if stealth is there at all. Still looks like an excellent game, I'm just worried that I won't find the Thief very "thief-like". Also, still waiting for the game to arrive, so I'm completely ignorant on anything except oh preetty.

The thief is much like you feared. However, with the Thief's Ring on, at a certain distance, you are invisible to enemies. And you can sneak up on enemies who aren't facing you and backstab them. The most fun, however, is backstabbing enemies actively fighting you. Learn to roll around, get behind enemies, and drive a knife in their back. It's fun as hell. (especially when the knife is an enormous claymore)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't get your hopes up for some sort of Thief or MGS style stealth. This game does not have that.

You CAN sneak up on enemies and backstab them, and the various stealth enhancing items are quite powerful, but they're more useful for avoiding encounters, or closing the distance without being noticed than any sort of 'true' stealth gameplay. They're also quite powerful in pvp, as they can make you nearly invisible.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Thieves in this are more of the "I can dodge any attack you throw at me, get around to your weak spot, and kill you in one strike" variety. At least, that's how I play mine. Sure, you only need to hit me once with that bigass hammer, but the problem is, you have to hit me with it.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Crappy Jack posted:

Thieves in this are more of the "I can dodge any attack you throw at me, get around to your weak spot, and kill you in one strike" variety. At least, that's how I play mine. Sure, you only need to hit me once with that bigass hammer, but the problem is, you have to hit me with it.
There are no classes in this game. Sometime I give my character a full plate and a great sword and I just destroy everything in sight, sometime I give her less armor an estoc and a parrying dagger and I backstab/counter everything. Thinking of the game with character classes is just reducing the amount of options that are available to you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Where's the Primevil Demon in 3-2? The wiki says it's in the swamp , but that's kind of vague - is it in the marsh itself, chilling on the wooden platforms, is it inside near the crystal gecko and the bridge to the second chain tower, or somewhere else?

I died and have to run for a few hours but I'd like to know where to look in particular when I get back - I already did one complete world 3 run looking for the demon and to take out black phantom Rydell before realizing I wasn't fully at pure black. :argh:

On the bright side I did get a pure moonlightstone, a pure mercurystone and various chunks of both...

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...
So I've seen a couple of you guys posting about arming Cloudstone in 4-4. This maybe a stupid question but, where the hell is 4-4 and how do you get there? I would love to arm Cloudstone but I have a feeling you mean 4-3...

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I was playing a nimble thief type character and was happily backstabbing everything, but between 3-2 and every boss fight I can recall it's been pretty useless. I'm soul level 40 and I've had to resort to using my bow for all but a handful of enemies. And I'm starting to think that I'll never beat Maneater. Is dodging and backstabbing in melee combat at all effective in the long term?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hypha posted:

One of the tactics I used with my thief was to lure enemies out, then run and hide, then as soon as they turned their backs to to back to what they were guarding, I'd sneak out and stab them in the back.

Mostly being a thief is about outmaneuvering your enemies and striking quickly when their guard is down. The name is sort of misleading as they're more assassins than anything.

Oae Ui posted:

I was playing a nimble thief type character and was happily backstabbing everything, but between 3-2 and every boss fight I can recall it's been pretty useless. I'm soul level 40 and I've had to resort to using my bow for more and more enemies and for all bosses. And I'm starting to think that I'll never beat Maneater. Is dodging and backstabbing in melee combat at all effective in the long term?

I was having this problem on my thief for a while, and what you need is a better melee weapon. The large sword of searching or just a highly upgraded blade of some sort is really useful. I couldn't beat maneater at all and I was resorting to using my bow and even a spear, but then I got a better sword and just cut him apart.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Whorehey posted:

So I've seen a couple of you guys posting about arming Cloudstone in 4-4. This maybe a stupid question but, where the hell is 4-4 and how do you get there? I would love to arm Cloudstone but I have a feeling you mean 4-3...

I'm pretty sure people are just talking about taking the 4th Archstone into the map that is properly called 4-3 (that is, the archstone where you collected the Demon's Soul -- in the middle of the map). Frankly, if you're going to farm Cloudstones, the 4-3 archstone seems like a safer bet, since you can tackle just a few mantas at a time.

Speaking of world 4, last time I was at 4-3 to farm mantas, I decided to backtrack into 4-2 a little, as I had just sprinted through the area with the slugs before. Is there any thing you can do about the floating lights that explode when they get close? Can they be sniped? Do I need to just to run away as they get close?

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

Oae Ui posted:

I was playing a nimble thief type character and was happily backstabbing everything, but between 3-2 and every boss fight I can recall it's been pretty useless. I'm soul level 40 and I've had to resort to using my bow for all but a handful of enemies. And I'm starting to think that I'll never beat Maneater. Is dodging and backstabbing in melee combat at all effective in the long term?

Dodging is an essential technique in this game, especially in the latter parts of the game and NG+ on. When an enemy can kill you in a hit or two, you'll want to have that ability to dodge.

As for the boss enemies and being stuck, it happens with this game. Maneater seems to be the deciding crux in the game when it becomes difficult. Sure, the game is difficult before 3-2, but Maneater, mantas, the skeletons of 4-x and the general frustration of 5-x far exceed the first couple stages.

If you're not playing the way you want, i.e. shooting your bow more than you would wish, just learn the enemy monsters more. The difficulty level of the enemies drops quickly once you learn their moves and set patterns. Sometimes, using a bow is the best method.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I was having this problem on my thief for a while, and what you need is a better melee weapon. The large sword of searching or just a highly upgraded blade of some sort is really useful. I couldn't beat maneater at all and I was resorting to using my bow and even a spear, but then I got a better sword and just cut him apart.

I've been using a Dagger +7. I've been avoiding larger swords because they're much slower and I'd read that their backstabbing bonus wasn't as good. Is this not an issue?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Oae Ui posted:

I've been using a Dagger +7. I've been avoiding larger swords because they're much slower and I'd read that their backstabbing bonus wasn't as good. Is this not an issue?

The large sword of searching is pretty fast, and the speed of the generic swords varies with the sword. Try them out and see which one suits you. The combo pattern and the direction your character swings it in are important too. The backstab bonus doesn't matter very much, you'll still do tons of damage with it regardless.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Oae Ui posted:

I was actually in the same position, but I eventually found the Epee Rapier to be a lot more useful. You are kinda right though; the game doesn't seem to be designed for use to go through the entire game as a really speedy character with light weapons. You either need to heavily supplement yourself with magic or start beefing up your armor once you hit SL40 or so.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Tortolia posted:

Where's the Primevil Demon in 3-2?

Go down to the swamp and follow the rickety wooden pier-type path. When you reach the spot where the path branches between a left turn and solid ground which goes uphill, turn left, staying on the pier.

Keep following the pier, turning left, left, and then right. Do not hop down off of the pier or descend any steps. There is only one way to go if you follow those rules, and it leads to another isolated bit of solid ground. The primeval demon is on the right-hand side of this spot, but it has a couple of fully-grown centipedes to keep it company.

Regarding how viable daggers/light swords are as primary weapons, many enemies will also be stunned momentarily if you remove a certain percentage of their overall HP with a single hit. Since you can swing lighter weapons extremely quickly, stunlocking otherwise dangerous enemies (the 3-1 guards and 1-3/2-1 ministers come to mind) is quite possible.

Squint fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 31, 2009

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I managed to do the whole game lightly armoured without a shield and without using magic. Unfortunately that doesnt seem to fly in NG+, so I've started a new thief to try and be more prepared this time round. A slightly heavier weapon can be a big help though since it'll stun enemies more when you hit them, and you can go in, hit, then go back out and still do a good amount of damage.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
I meant to ask this before and forgot. Am I correct in assuming that you can revisit a cleared area to kill respawned stuff for levels/items; but the bosses themselves never reappear once you've dropped them?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

EvilSlug posted:

I meant to ask this before and forgot. Am I correct in assuming that you can revisit a cleared area to kill respawned stuff for levels/items; but the bosses themselves never reappear once you've dropped them?

Yeah, everything but bosses respawns.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Yeah, everything but bosses respawns.

Not entirely true -- black phantoms that are not a result of black tendency do not respawn. Don't think the NPC black phantoms respawn either, but I can't confirm that one.

The non-respawning black phantoms... two of them, with clubs and tower shields in 2-2. The crossbow-wielding thief in 3-1. Black Phantom Ostrava in 1-4. The meat cleaver-wielding black phantom in 5-2. Those are all the ones I can think of.

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Zarick posted:

Not entirely true -- black phantoms that are not a result of black tendency do not respawn. Don't think the NPC black phantoms respawn either, but I can't confirm that one.

The non-respawning black phantoms... two of them, with clubs and tower shields in 2-2. The crossbow-wielding thief in 3-1. Black Phantom Ostrava in 1-4. The meat cleaver-wielding black phantom in 5-2. Those are all the ones I can think of.

There's also a couple of mindflayers in 3-2, the samurai blocking the door near Saint Urbain in the 4-2 hole, and the three guys at the start of 1-4. Any NPC with a BP version like Selen or Scirvir won't respawn.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Right, I forgot the 1-4 and 4-1 guys... but the BP mindflayers in 3-2 and 3-3 do actually respawn.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital
Got my copy from NCSX and it just arrived today.

SO,... in 1-1 is that first guy with the glowing red eyes and the spear supposed to be a unstoppable one-hit kill or can he actually be parried somehow?

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

Raptop posted:

SO,... in 1-1 is that first guy with the glowing red eyes and the spear supposed to be a unstoppable one-hit kill or can he actually be parried somehow?
Unless you shoot an arrow or a magic, run away and return for a second one when he don't look you shouldn't fight it yet. Beside you can't open the door behind it yet.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Raptop posted:

Yeah, just leave him alone for now. I just got to Soul Level 75 and I only now feel confident about fighting him hand to hand.

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf

Dizzybone posted:

Yeah, just leave him alone for now. I just got to Soul Level 75 and I only now feel confident about fighting him hand to hand.

He isn't that hard. Any kind of large shield will make him completely harmless (blocking his attack with a large shield stuns him), and if your character is quick, you can just roll around and backstab away. (spear attack animations are pretty drawn-out, as is the shield bash animation)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Okay, I just got the Meat Cleaver and ground out the stats to use it on 4-2.

I have to say: One-shotting that first blue-eyed knight in 1-1 was probably one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a video game.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 31, 2009

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

ImpactVector posted:

Okay, I just got the Meat Cleaver and ground out the stats to use it on 4-2.

I have to say: One-shotting that first blue-eyed knight in 1-1 was probably one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a video game.

Not sure why you spoiler tagged that, it's discussed pretty openly in the previous thread and probably this one too, not to mention in the patch notes!

I refuse to use it out of some deluded sense of fairness, it just seems like cheating. My Dragon Claymore +3 hasn't steered me wrong yet, but it's gonna suck switching world 2 to black so I can get some goddamned dragonstone. At least it'll be worth a trophy!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I just completed World 5, and either I made some sort of horrible mistake in the process or the game just wants me to think that I did.

Sure, World 5 is a poisonous cesspool and full of death and decay, but then I get to Astraea. She seems to want nothing more than to create a sanctuary in the middle of the chaos and she's got a knight perfectly willing to protect her as she does so. She's essentially helpless once I manage to get Vinland out of the way, she falls quickly to three Moving Soul Arrow volleys, and I get the Pureblood Soul. Now there's this really ominous organ song playing in the Nexus. Moreover, Astraea's soul can either get me another cloud spell from Freke, or a healing spell from Yuria (and her witchcraft is supposed to be the dark arts).

For all the NPC chatter about how the Demons Souls are a source of evil power and I need to be careful (admittedly from the priests, those pansies), this is the first time the game's actually got me wondering just how heroic I'm being.

Good stuff.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

Tortolia posted:

Good stuff.
Dude (dood ?) you have no idea yet :)

On another subject, I'm building my first magic user to go through the game. I did all of world 2 and 1-3 up to the boss door so I got a lot of boss soul and access to Freke and Yuria. Which spells should I buy in the first run through the game ?

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Alrighty I need help with NG+ specifically I need help getting some souls to level up with. Anyone need a lvl 75 knight in any of the #-1's?

lemme know, and I'll tell you where to find my soul sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
I just sent off an email to Play-Asia asking to cancel my order. They cancelled it and told me that they still don't know when they're getting a new shipment. It looks like NCSX is getting shipments every other day so I placed a new order with them. It's nice of them to post status updates.

• Locked thread