Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i may or may not have died a few times in body form in various levels so i dont even know if i can get pure white in some of them with just boss kills now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tendency's a pretty bad system, yeah. my favorite part's that it punishes playing the game badly by making the game harder because gently caress you

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Awesome! posted:

i may or may not have died a few times in body form in various levels so i dont even know if i can get pure white in some of them with just boss kills now.
guess this wouldnt really matter anyway.

quote:

While playing online the effect of the server median is session based. The current median will be applied when you load a game. This becomes your starting point for World Tendency for this session. During the course of that particular game you can influence World Tendency events by your
actions. When you quit that game, your current World Tendency status is lost to you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Unless you play in soul form, in which case you actually can't lower world tendency; you can only raise it. This is why you see bloodstains at the top of the stairs in the Nexus: people kill themselves there after beating a boss so they won't affect world tendency or be invaded. It's also probably why the game forces you to die to the Vanguard or Dragon God, as killing Phalanx raises world tendency in every area and you can't be human until after you kill him. It's a bad, obtuse system but it is gameable if you know how it works. I'm glad they dropped both world and character tendency because it doesn't really add much while making other things kind of annoying.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i might actually just play offline now since every boss i kill im screwing myself on shifting tendency later apparently

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That doesn't help you. Tendency exists whether you're online or not, it just isn't influenced by the global tendency. Which may be a good or bad thing. If the average tendency is already white then going offline can make your world shift towards black because you aren't getting a positive boost anymore. If you don't want to negatively impact world tendency, kill yourself in the Nexus and play in soul form. Only dying in body form negatively impacts tendency.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that quote from the wiki says every time you connect you start at the server's median and lose whatever progress you make when you quit. that means if you kill a boss and quit you lose that tendency shift completely

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm just saying that playing in body form is what fucks your tendency plans. You have a limited amount of white tendency shifts but an infinite number of black ones. Playing online can help fix that though if the server tendency is high enough to allow you to get pure white with what you have left anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You have a limited amount of white tendency shifts but an infinite number of black ones. Playing online can help fix that though if the server tendency is high enough to allow you to get pure white with what you have left anyway.
but only if you do it all in one sitting because if you quit you get reset to the server median and then have no more bosses to kill

of course, it looks like killing invading phantoms also moves world tendency white but i probably have about a .01% chance of killing an invader at this point in the game's life.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think it is pretty annoying to have a feature of the game tied to kill bosses in succession. Maybe it wasn't as annoying when the game was in its prime and you could get summoned for coop easily. But I view the bosses as a finite supply of something that influences world tendency. I've seen loads of white ghosts of players running around, but I've only been summoned once and I was summoned to fight for the Old Monk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You only need to do whatever tendency event opens up in the world before you quit. That's the only reason to set the world to pure white or black and it doesn't take long.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You only need to do whatever tendency event opens up in the world before you quit. That's the only reason to set the world to pure white or black and it doesn't take long.

yea i guess that's true. it's just that in this first playthrough i probably won't kill any world's bosses back to back so it's kind of lame since my progress will just keep getting reset

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

yea i guess that's true. it's just that in this first playthrough i probably won't kill any world's bosses back to back so it's kind of lame since my progress will just keep getting reset

Just treat the whole world tendency thing like you would NPC quests in most souls games; you're gonna gently caress it up your first time so don't even worry about it.

Just play naturally and then world tendency is something you can worry about if you do an NG+ run and want to see what little bits of game are still left that you haven't seen yet.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sparkly the crow's dialogue is much better in this game. they should have just copied it over. killed flamelurker. he was pretty cool, if real easy. the drop down shortcut makes it insanely easy to get there. i noticed patches is in the nexus now and he says something about "that priest over there and his followers" being pissed at him but i havent even run into a priest yet. his scripting is all hosed up.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

sparkly the crow's dialogue is much better in this game. they should have just copied it over. killed flamelurker. he was pretty cool, if real easy. the drop down shortcut makes it insanely easy to get there. i noticed patches is in the nexus now and he says something about "that priest over there and his followers" being pissed at him but i havent even run into a priest yet. his scripting is all hosed up.

there's a priest in the nexus automatically, an apostle too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

The Nexus is kinda big, there's a couple side areas; one with a priest (and another dude IIRC) and one with a wizard. They should have been there ever since.... around when you talk to the monumental?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there were two guys over there. one taught me a few miracles before going to rescue his master. the other guy just laments being a little bitch and says patches threw his master in a pit behind the shrine or something. i assume he's in world 4 somewhere.

i assumed the priest he was referring to was the master guy who isnt there yet

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 12, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think if they had rolled World and Soul Tendency into one, the system would have been a lot more well-received. It would have been a lot easier to keep track of things and influence them, at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

there were two guys over there. one taught me a few miracles before going to rescue his master. the other guy just laments being a little bitch and says patches threw his master in a pit behind the shrine or something. i assume he's in world 4 somewhere.

i assumed the priest he was referring to was the master guy who isnt there yet

Hm, you're right. He's not supposed to say that until you rescue Urbain. Weird.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The server average part is what makes tendency a bitch to control, an offline-only system would have been preferable.

The world tendency server average is not applied every time you start up the game. It's applied only on your first visit to the Nexus in each play session, just to make a confusing system worse. So in a pinch you can quit outside the Nexus and preserve tendency the next time you start the game, potentially letting you delay going forward or backtracking for pure tendency events across play sessions as long as you don't revisit the Nexus until you're done. Some levels don't let you return to the start so this may not help everywhere.

I do like world tendency events, they're a cool way of handling extra areas. It's neat that you can see many of the tendency areas/chars/items even outside of pure world tendency. It's just the server averaging and when it's applied that's crappy.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 13, 2015

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

v1ld posted:

I do like world tendency events, they're a cool way of handling extra areas. It's neat that you can see many of the tendency areas/chars/items even outside of pure world tendency. It's just the server averaging and when it's applied that's crappy.

Exactly this. It's always bugged me that your personal progress is simply lost without any warning or way of stopping it outside of A) somehow knowing it's going to happen (the game doesn't tell you at all) and B) unplugging your network cable.

This is just poor design.

It would have been an incredible system if each person's save file managed it separately, because then it's your own actions that change your own adventure in a meaningful way.

I've always felt the released version was a result of them wanting to have holiday events that changed world tendency across the board, and they just rushed in a way to allow the server to set world tendencies within your game without having a way to somehow keep track of your original tendency (so it could be set back after the event). But that's just speculation.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Exactly this. It's always bugged me that your personal progress is simply lost without any warning or way of stopping it outside of A) somehow knowing it's going to happen (the game doesn't tell you at all) and B) unplugging your network cable.

This is just poor design.

It would have been an incredible system if each person's save file managed it separately, because then it's your own actions that change your own adventure in a meaningful way.

I've always felt the released version was a result of them wanting to have holiday events that changed world tendency across the board, and they just rushed in a way to allow the server to set world tendencies within your game without having a way to somehow keep track of your original tendency (so it could be set back after the event). But that's just speculation.

Yeah, it basically just needed to be expanded.

As is, the Online World Tendency is always skewed just under Pure White. So if you kill a boss and come back, you'll have everything Pure White unlocked in the zone, but if you ever leave and wait a bit, enough people will die that it'll reset to being just under Pure White again, meaning you need to kill another boss first. If you have no more bosses to kill and are playing Online, you'll never see those events ( see most people with Scirvir, since who wants to suicide run that rear end in a top hat right after getting Body Form. ).

On the other hand, if you are playing Offline, if you don't realize dying in Body Form will lower your Tendency, it's an easy way for you to never see the White World stuff, because you'll never get your Tendency high enough to see them.

And then if you want to see the Black World stuff, you either have to be absolutely terrible, or you have to do some suicide runs, neither of which really fits with what Black World Tendency gets you.

If they had additional ways to get both Tendency types, giving the player more control over it, it'd have been a pretty interesting system. As is you basically either game the system by suiciding your Body Form in the Nexus to bring a world to Pure White as you kill the bosses, then suicide it back down to Pure Black for the benefits that offers in Offline Mode, or just kind of ignore it/check the stuff after you do it in Online since you only need a single boss kill to see it, while never seeing the Pure Black World.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Awesome! posted:

but only if you do it all in one sitting because if you quit you get reset to the server median and then have no more bosses to kill

of course, it looks like killing invading phantoms also moves world tendency white but i probably have about a .01% chance of killing an invader at this point in the game's life.

If you want to dick around with world tendancies before you finish this playthrough or when you do a next one, just get a buddy to invade and let you kill them. Or start doing co-op and help kill bosses in the world you want changed. Killing the dragons in Boletaria also shifts toward white iirc. I like world tendancy quite a bit but pure white can be a bitch. Black is ridiculously easy to get and thankfully the one used when farming mats.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rookersh posted:

As is, the Online World Tendency is always skewed just under Pure White. So if you kill a boss and come back, you'll have everything Pure White unlocked in the zone
i think you need to kill 2 bosses. i checked after dirty colossus last night and i think i was still a little bit under pure white from looking at pictures

is dirty colossus a joke boss btw? he was even easier than the leechmonger. i dropped down and noticed a fog door right away, which is strange. hopefully the 5-3 boss makes me work for it a little.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It ranges from 1-2 bosses short of PWWT depending on the day.

Leechmonger/Dirty Collossus are both trivial bosses, yup. For what it's worth the boss of 5-3 is one of my favourites in the series, but it's not what you're probably expecting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Most of the bosses in Demon's Souls are a bit of a joke even when you don't abuse the geometry to remain utterly safe from them (for instance, Dirty Colossus can be cheesed by standing behind the torch and spamming ranged attacks because the flies he shoots will die to the fire and mostly not even reach you).

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Just beat the game and I have to agree that most of the bosses were complete pushovers, but the false king was a pretty fun challenge. Lots of tension in that fight because holy heck having to run all the way back up to him each time is kind of a pain, but I love how the boss music is a callback to the game's intro. What a loving good game. (time for NG+)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fun fact: if you're in soul form with the fog ring on and walk slowly, the False King won't notice you and he won't move. Then you can poison him to death. He's a fun fight normally but they just didn't account for some things. That's Demon's Souls boss design for you.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Was it a bug that the dragon kept roaring and shooting fire while I fought the False King? It was kind of distracting to have that going on the whole time while I'd try to concentrate, and it stopped when I actually defeated the boss...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The server median tendency thing is a good thing, since it means all you have to do to get the pure white events is to kill a single boss. Since the pure white events also tend to be in the -1 or -2 areas, it's not hard to get those done quickly. It makes getting pure black events a bit tougher, but there's like two pure black events that are actually worthwhile so that's not that big of a deal.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's all the brown poo poo that looks like maybe gross rain that's immediately around me in 5-2?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I assumed it was poo poo rain.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Wildtortilla posted:

What's all the brown poo poo that looks like maybe gross rain that's immediately around me in 5-2?
:itwaspoo:
Really.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Fun fact: if you're in soul form with the fog ring on and walk slowly, the False King won't notice you and he won't move. Then you can poison him to death. He's a fun fight normally but they just didn't account for some things. That's Demon's Souls boss design for you.

They patched out being able to stack poison and disease/plague so I'm pretty sure they knew.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The server median tendency thing is a good thing, since it means all you have to do to get the pure white events is to kill a single boss. Since the pure white events also tend to be in the -1 or -2 areas, it's not hard to get those done quickly. It makes getting pure black events a bit tougher, but there's like two pure black events that are actually worthwhile so that's not that big of a deal.

Agreed that starting at +2 is nice, but there's no need for a server tendency for this. They could've just set initial tendency to +1 or +2 statically by world, mimicking what we have today as a starting value.

Dropping the server average would just mean that your tendency no longer gets pulled towards +1/+2 from your current value when you restart and visit the nexus - taking away control from the player being the bad part of the server average. Server overrides to pure black/white on Halloween / Valentine's is cool, but that doesn't need the average either.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Read posted:

For what it's worth the boss of 5-3 is one of my favourites in the series, but it's not what you're probably expecting.
uhh yea that was weird. the dude was basically a bugbear combatwise. and then she just...says gently caress it i guess. how strange. cool music though.

i saw a few items out in the plague swamp but that poo poo was insta plague and i dont know if i even want to bother. is there anything important out there?

e: it was a few random pure stones so worthwhile. also garl respawns apparently :wth:

e2: he doesn't respawn. i guess the astraea kill got me to pure white and that was black phantom him even though he didnt look red

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 14, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah Garl has a phantom and killing it is part of a character side quest in 5-2.

Also, for more How to Break Demon's Souls: you can just shoot Astraea to death with a bow from the cliff to the right. She heals but you can outpace it with a high dex character or the Lava Bow. You don't have to fight Garl if you kill her first (his black phantom still shows up though).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the dragon god "fight" made me dislike bed of chaos even more. it's almost exactly the same mechanically but the environment and boss itself are much cooler. and instead of hitting a lame little bug once you get a few shots on the dragon's big stupid face :black101:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The good luck message someone left outside the fog gate to the boss in 1-4 is the worst part of getting back to the boss. The game won't show me Enter Fog unless I'm moving, but I can't press X to enter it while moving, if I stop moving X changes to Read Message, I can't press triangle to switch, and if you gently caress around too long the elevator goes back down.

:psyduck:

edit: if I have 20/16 Str/Dex and don't intend to increase them further, would it be better to upgrade my winged spear along the basic or quality path? I have a blessed mirdin hammer +3 and a dragon claymore +3, and I want the winged spear for straight physical damage.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the disguise yourself as a fat official thing might be my favorite thing out of either souls game so far

• Locked thread