Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Gamespot gave it a 9. Wow!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul/index.html?tag=topten;all;4

Good for From Software!

I like how they talk about the difficulty and the challenge being a good thing, but then list "Extremely Difficult" as a negative.

I don't get reviewers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I just got home from the store with mine. I'm supposed to die in the tutorial, right? I already love this game.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Lumpy posted:

So I just got home from the store with mine. I'm supposed to die in the tutorial, right? I already love this game.
Yes. If you manage to kill the tutorial boss you only get a cutscene after which you die even more violently.

Welcome to Demon's Souls.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

You do get a reward if you manage to beat the tutorial boss before your even more spectacular beatdown, though. It's only there for enormous badasses, though. 99.9% of players just die there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Gamespot gave it a 9. Wow!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul/index.html?tag=topten;all;4

Good for From Software!

I like how they talk about the difficulty and the challenge being a good thing, but then list "Extremely Difficult" as a negative.

I don't get reviewers sometimes.
Wow, looks like even if DS wasn't a big player in Japan, it has a home here in the West.

edit: that first death is before you can get any new equipment or level up in any way, so yeah, unless you are a genius tactician with nerves of steel and willing to go at it for about half an hour straight with one mistake meaning death, you are gonna die.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've decided to keep this thread going, I'll be updating the OP with USA release information. I figure it's a lot better if I kept this gigantic encyclopedia people could look back at and pick out information from, not to mention that I really don't think I'll get something better than "This is harsh. Evaulate me" for the thread subtitle.

Plus all the people from the beginning who seem to still be playing this game seem to be settled in already, which seems fine to me.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Just picked up an NA copy on a whim while I was there to preorder Brutal Legend. :toot: They didn't have a special edition copy, but after hearing about how it smells bad I'm not terribly disappointed.

I'm mostly buying it a second time to encourage them to make a sequel. Having better latency for PVP would be a close second.

And who knows. I might be able to get a friend of mine on the hook for this for some pain in the rear end to coordinate co-op.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, looks like even if DS wasn't a big player in Japan, it has a home here in the West.

Didn't DS completely sell out multiple times? As I've heard it was a huge commercial success.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DatonKallandor posted:

Didn't DS completely sell out multiple times? As I've heard it was a huge commercial success.

Yeah pretty much. The game was basically selling as soon as shipments were coming in and I'm pretty sure import sellers like YesAsia were going nuts trying to fill orders. Game sales were backlogged a good deal for those that imported it if you weren't quick to buy it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Policenaut posted:

I've decided to keep this thread going, I'll be updating the OP with USA release information. I figure it's a lot better if I kept this gigantic encyclopedia people could look back at and pick out information from, not to mention that I really don't think I'll get something better than "This is harsh. Evaulate me" for the thread subtitle.

Plus all the people from the beginning who seem to still be playing this game seem to be settled in already, which seems fine to me.

It might not be a bad idea to put a link to the first thread in the OP, too, for anybody who wants to go through the old posts from when people first started getting their import copies.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah pretty much. The game was basically selling as soon as shipments were coming in and I'm pretty sure import sellers like YesAsia were going nuts trying to fill orders. Game sales were backlogged a good deal for those that imported it if you weren't quick to buy it.
I figured it was more because it was low-volume, more so than commercial success in Japan. This just doesn't seem like their kind of game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kreeblah posted:

It might not be a bad idea to put a link to the first thread in the OP, too, for anybody who wants to go through the old posts from when people first started getting their import copies.

I originally had the link in there but it seems to be gone from where it used to be yes I am so lazy I just c/ped the text file for the new thread into the OP but thank you for pointing that out! I put it back in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

quote:

DAYTONA BEACH, FL, US 10/06/2009 8:20 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

Oh god, today is the day.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The wait for UPS to come and deliver the game is killing me. Plus all the awesome reviews thus far don't help either.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it was more because it was low-volume, more so than commercial success in Japan. This just doesn't seem like their kind of game.

Perhaps, but it was still selling out almost immediately after the second and third print-runs. For the longest time, they couldn't keep up with demand.

Despite putting down a fairly early preorder, I still had to wait a month or so for them to get my copy in stock.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

It sold almost 40K in its first week in Japan. I have no idea how good or bad that is but it debuted at #2 on the sales charts.

Also this is promising for US sales: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=8778

quote:

Atlus Inc.'s Demon's Souls for Sony Corp.'s Playstation 3 ranked in the top 10 sales at U.S. retail this week on strong demand for the title.

On Mon., the Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition SKU ranked as the No. 9 best-selling product in Amazon.com's Video Games division.

The title held a 46 percent sales increase in the same period.

This week, the Deluxe Edition w/ Art Book and Soundtrack held a discount price of $66.99, down from the $69.99 MSRP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: that first death is before you can get any new equipment or level up in any way, so yeah, unless you are a genius tactician with nerves of steel and willing to go at it for about half an hour straight with one mistake meaning death, you are gonna die.

I think that's overhyping it a little bit. You're probably going to die, but it isn't like a near-impossible win if you pay attention.

Roll under his arm when he lifts his axe, stab, roll, repeat. It's even easier if you're playing Royalty and can Soul Arrow him. It's even easier if you strip down, but I don't think most players are going to know to do that their first time. I actually managed to to beat him my first time through the tutorial.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I was just going off some video I saw of a Japanese player doing it shortly after launch, it took about half an hour. I guess methods have improved.

If you kill it then, does it not appear in 4-1?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I was just going off some video I saw of a Japanese player doing it shortly after launch, it took about half an hour. I guess methods have improved.

If you kill it then, does it not appear in 4-1?

If I remember correct, the enemy still shows up in 4-1, yeah.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's overhyping it a little bit. You're probably going to die, but it isn't like a near-impossible win if you pay attention.

Roll under his arm when he lifts his axe, stab, roll, repeat. It's even easier if you're playing Royalty and can Soul Arrow him. It's even easier if you strip down, but I don't think most players are going to know to do that their first time. I actually managed to to beat him my first time through the tutorial.

What do you get if you beat it during the tutorial?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

His soul, some Hardstone/Sharpstone, some Full Moon Grass, a pretty funny cutscene and I think that is it.

Edit: Considering the American version is out, I should probably spoiler that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2009

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

His soul, a few minor items, and FALCON PUNCH

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

You get to meet the Dragon God earlier than usual.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For those of you who have the guide: How detailed are the equipment tables? The biggest thing lacking online is detailed info on what each kind of upgrade does for each weapon.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

For those of you who have the guide: How detailed are the equipment tables? The biggest thing lacking online is detailed info on what each kind of upgrade does for each weapon.

From what I'm looking at here, they seem pretty detailed to me.

Just arrived from Amazon 5 minutes ago.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

??

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So did they leave in "This is harsh, evaluate me"?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Policenaut add this to the OP under IRC

#demongoons @ irc.synirc.net (Mibbit)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just picked up the standard edition. I thought the normal edition would come with a soundtrack or something, wasn't it supposed to? Mine came with nothing but whatever it's a game

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So what's the story about updating the Japan/Asia versions to be able to coexist with the new NA version? Is it still happening?

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Woo its here! I am prepared to die. The guide said that if you want to do a pure mage build Royal is the best way to go so Royal I will be.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So what's the story about updating the Japan/Asia versions to be able to coexist with the new NA version? Is it still happening?

I hadn't heard that. I thought Atlus has said just that they're having a new server for the NA release, and so people playing that edition can't play with people using the Japan/Asia edition.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Woo its here! I am prepared to die. The guide said that if you want to do a pure mage build Royal is the best way to go so Royal I will be.

Just fair warning: I tried to do this the first time through and it can be pretty tedious playing a pure mage until you can quickly get souls to stock up on fresh spice and old spice. It's much more worth it to add some combat skills, too, so you've got something to fall back on while waiting for your MP to recharge.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've given in and despite my reservations about the difficulty I just ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon with overnight delivery (only $10!).

Anyways, does this game support voice chat? (please say yes)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Real men start out Barbarian. Taking on the armored spider boss nearly naked and winning on the first try was so goddamn satisfying.

Vinlaen posted:

No, but it's all thematically consistent. Anyone you're playing with/against is kinda only half-there, bleeding through from another dimension. You can gesture and emote, but you can't even text-chat. And it works pretty well, actually.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Nobody should start out as the Knight or any other heavily armored class. Mobility is king in this game.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vinlaen posted:

No. There isn't a reliable way to play with people you know, so it's not much of a loss.

edit: beaten. I concur with Dominic. It'll make sense when you see how it all works.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Oh man there is something really awesome about seeing other people play the game via souls and watching what they're doing.

And its really satisfying to riposte an enemy. Like a mini fist pump.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Oh, I've seen some videos and I knew about the ghost thing, but I thought that on top of that you could actually group up with other people.

Maybe I don't understand the multiplayer as well as I thought I had, doh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You can team with other players, however teaming with a friend, while possible, is convoluted.

However, while you can team with people, there is no communication beyond emotes, though I suppose you could construct a message for them using the warning message system.

• Locked thread