Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Quinton posted:

Is it possible to get Boletaria to pure white, post-patch on a first play through?
Yes, I did 1-1 and then brought in two phantoms for 1-2. After that I spent 20 minutes slowly grinding down the dragon using soul arrow and waiting for mana to refill as a noble and that was enough. If you haven't done 1-2 before there's a very good chance you'll die on your way there or on the boss and thus put pure white tendency well out of your reach for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Talran posted:

A simple fix for worrying about your body is suiciding in another world and coming back to 1-2 so you don't have to worry about your body, just getting there, and using an Emph Eye to res. I doubt you can fail the 1-2 boss if you get two people to help ^^;
If you do go off and suicide in another world you would be starting that world off lower than normal. And if you're on your first playthrough I'd say there's a still good chance at dying at the boss him self.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 30, 2009

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I found the wanderer pretty harsh as a first class since I tried to block everything instead of avoiding or parrying, which is much better with a knight or other class that starts with a 100% shield. The wanderer starts with an 80%. Later on you'll have to learn to dodge anyway however, so you could argue it's better to get used to that.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

The Raglay posted:

So I may be shooting in the dark here, but I thought I'd ask regardless. I'm waiting until I get the sword of searching before I try for Pure Darkmoonstone again, but I do remember the last time I looked at the upgrade window for my +4 katana that the magic parameter would change from "A" at +4 to... "A" at +5. The "A" was highlighted in blue, meaning it was an actual increase, but the letter stayed the same. Is this simply a display bug and it will actually upgrade to "S", or are there actually tiers within each letter?

I ask because I'm thinking of tracking down the Phosphorescent Pole and pumping it full of colorless souls to get the magic parameter to "S". If the sword does actually upgrade to an "S" parameter, then it becomes more a matter of weapon attack speed. If the sword stays at "A", I think the pole would be more powerful for a magic user.
I'm fairly sure there are several levels within each grade. You should be able to see the attack bonus change when you're looking at the upgrade window if it's a higher level of A. (Press square while talking to Ed)

I have that exact weapon on my noble and went and got the phosphorecent pole seeing that it would upgrade all the way to S; meanwhile hoping the attack speed would be better than other pole arms, it's not. All in all I find the pole arm inferior in most aspects. Also keep in mind the base magic and physical damage on your upgraded uchigatana is actually a lot higher than that on the pole.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

The Raglay posted:

I can see the change in grade. The letter is blue, indicating an upgrade, though it says it is upgrading from "A" to "A". Yes, the magic bonus does increase, but I was confused that it wasn't jumping to "S". I'm going on memory, but I believe the pole has higher base damage than the Uchigatana would at +5. I could be wrong about that. Still, if the speed is that bad then I won't bother.
Get a Mirdan Hammer or Halberd and try it out yourself, it's exactly the same animation and speed. I don't know about Sais but I assume it's the same as well. The only positive is the range/speed they have when being used two handed but you're still losing the fast wide swing of the katana. I simply can't see my self dropping my trusty shield to use a pole arm properly in the majority of situations.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

The Raglay posted:

Offline is nice for farming, since world tendency won't revert to neutral when you're not online, but the game does feel a bit lonely when you're not online.
I've seen a few people saying world tendency resets. I'd just like to say being on my 3rd character (I haven't actually completed on any yet, but 2 of them are close) that I have never had the world tendency reset on me, only decay when I die or kill certain npcs.

I usually quit to the game main menu from the ingame menu before using the PS button to quit the game and then I turn off the system; and I keep doing it that way just in case that's why my WT doesn't randomly reset.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Petridish posted:

Have you been quitting in an archstone? The wiki says that if you quit from inside an archstone, the WT won't reset, but if you quit from the Nexus, it will. I found this to be the case for myself, so I've been quitting in archstones for awhile.
I have been quitting almost anywhere, most often in the nexus though and have not seen any WT resets at all. I have gotten all worlds to pure white on my latest two characters on normal difficulty.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

McCoy Pauley posted:

You can equip any consumable item you want in those 5 slots. Just go to the "Equipment" screen and equip any grasses you want into those slots (or spices, throwing weapons, etc.)
You can equip everything in that tab, even souls which is useful if you have 30 unknown soldiers'.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Quinton posted:

I've been using the "Quit Game" feature while at a portal stone in one of the non-nexus worlds, to avoid losing world tendency on save/reload, which works. If I "Quit Game" in the middle of a level, will it return me to exactly where I was (including enemies killed already dead, etc, etc) on reload?
Yes, just as if you had just done a phantom stint without winning.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Whorehey posted:

NG+ level requirements seem to be at LEAST +/- 15 (tried it out several times this morning with a SL 96 while I was only SL 81), but does anybody have any information on Black Phantom break ins?
I don't have any solid info, but at SL 70, still on normal I get matched up with people in NG+ fairly often - and I can confirm I have been meeting people far higher level than me very often. I've mostly tried doing 1-3. It's gotten so bad I have given up getting character tendancy to black through invading people.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Correct except for Hide and the Blueblood. Blueblood specifically adds Hide as its passive effect, and I don't think they actually stack.
Do you have any confirmation that the Blublood actually does that? There's nothing on the description about that effect. I tried testing it out versus monsters and the sword did absolutely nothing to increase the detection distance, while both the spell and the ring have noticeable effect.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tortolia posted:

Also, for the monk's headpiece, when you earn it is it on the ground after you return to your game or do you automatically get it after the kill (if you get the drop)?
Short story first, answer at the bottom.

This just happened. I am tooling around on almost new character, only soul level 26 and having done 1-2 and 2-1. Unfortunately I'm in soul form and want to revive so I can summon some help for 2-2, 4-1 and 5-1 so I pop down a blue marking in world 3. 1 minute later I am summoned, as a black phantom.

Fully convinced I don't really have a chance of winning I'm just organising equipped rings when - "Target was destroyed" - which I quickly click through including a loot notification in my haste to leave. Upon reviving I have the head piece in my inventory.

gently caress, I wasn't even going for a spell caster on this one.

Guess I should have refreshed the thread first.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Sunday Punch posted:

The problem with working out how much of a bonus Addedparam gives you is that as you upgrade a weapon the base damage goes up too. So you couldn't really separate it out. There are some that just upgrade Addedparam, leaving the base damage the same, but I think all of those need colourless demon souls to upgrade. Which you probably don't want to waste just on research.
The detailed equipment view tells you the base damage as well as the bonus as two separate numbers. The real issue is if you are testing with a weapon/upgrade path that gets a bonus from both of either str and dex or magic and faith.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I have a question regarding the end of the game.

Can you still raise stats when the maiden is standing in front of the Old One, or will talking to her trigger the end of the normal game? I ask because Allant took away one point of spirit, which I need to properly wield my Blueblood Sword, and there is still a lot I need to do regarding black world / character tendency.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Awesome Andrew posted:

So I'm on my third playthrough and I've never ran into a Primeval BP. Who/what/when/where/how are they? I'm one soul away from Keel Smasher +5!

I understand that I need pure black tendency, but that's it.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

There is one per world, they do not respawn and the drop is not guaranteed but very high. I got colourless souls from four out of five, when it didn't drop I wasn't wearing my large sword of searching - so definitely bring that. Also keep in mind that they will move your WT to neutral, so if there is anything else you want to kill at pure black make sure you do that at the same time, without returning to the Nexus.

Policenaut posted:

I've been trying to get Pure Bladestone for three days now
Are you at pure black world tendency? I haven't tried farming it myself, and I won't - but it's the only idea I have.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I know it's possible by just making him swing and evade. Just one mistake however would make him instakill me, so I ended up cheesing him with a bow. If you get him to follow you back to the last spot that had normal soldiers he'll turn his back and start walking back till he's on the bridge again - use this time to backstab / fire arrows in his back.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Now, after that if you want to kill him, poo poo if I know... I tried that setup again and as soon as I moved in to try it again he hit me in the face and I died.

Hamburger Test posted:

If you get him to follow you back to the last spot that had normal soldiers he'll turn his back and start walking back till he's on the bridge again - use this time to backstab / fire arrows in his back.

Hackan Slash posted:

I found the best way to beat Doran was with projectiles and a thief ring, since one hit and you're basically dead. Lure him out by the catapults, and either lock-on bow him or use soul light. He won't heal if he's too far from his spawn, and will instead try and walk back.

As long as you don't get greedy this is totally workable.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

On an aside, I loving loathe the high level Japanese players. The vast majority of them use the same twinky gear, and out of 14 attempted invasions to try and get my black character tendency up last night, 12 of them disconnected as soon as I cast Anti-Magic field. The other two fights were me vs. at least 2 people, both of which cast Acid Fog nonstop on me and broke all my poo poo. This is what prompted me to swap over to Anti-Magic Field.

Holy gently caress yes. Today it took me four attempts to get the monk in NG+, only succeeded the fourth time because the game couldn't find someone to stand in, and the AI version doesn't quit as soon as it sees it is losing.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

I just discovered how amazing the Mirdan Hammer is. It's rather fast, has great reach and is probably the strongest blunt object in the game other than Keel Smasher. Makes farming dragonstone so much easier, if nothing else.
I have been on the recieving end of a polearm beating on my Blueblood using all round scrub several times. So when I decided start over for a more miracle heavy character I went for the Temple Knight who start out with the Halberd, and it's absolutely incredible. I'm currently just over half way through the game and soul level mid thirties and have died exactly two times, both of which because I got overconfident. I farmed the miners in 2-1 till they finally dropped a Mirdan Hammer for me. I have it up to +6 and now I just need to do world 5 so I can make it blessed.

I completely regret the hate I had for the Phosphorescent Pole and I'm considering making a new magic heavy melee character to take full advantage of that. The thing about polearms is they have to be used in two hands, if you try using a shield with the polearm you will die; obvious I know, I just couldn't get over the fact that I'd have to put my shield on my back / remove it completely. However the reach on this thing means you can pretty comfortable run around in heavy armor 90% of the time and almost never actually need to block. The normal attack is also pretty awesome for breaking guard.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Blessed has 2 very big disadvantages: You can't use sticky white stuff/turpentine/black turpentine with it and it lights you up like a loving christmas tree in pvp. Even stacking with the adjudicator shield you don't regenerate anywhere close to fast enough to matter in most pvp fights. A crushing or even just plain +10 one with one of the consumable damage increasers will hit a LOT harder than blessed.
I plan on making a dragon if I ever want to sneak around in pvp. The whole point of this setup is that I don't really need to sneak though. Eternal Warrior's Ring and Anti Magic Field makes the most annoying players poo poo themselves, and lights me up pretty good anyway. I plan on keeping strength and dex low which renders quality/crushing useless, in general plain +10 is underrated though and it might be worth considering.

I'm worried when you say you can't use sticky white stuff etc since I also plan to get magic/light/cursed weapon down the line and I'm not sure if that would be useless too.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Even keeping them just low enough to equip everything will give you a pretty massive bonus with a crushing one. The +damage from stats function seems to be a bit front loaded, since my 30/30 str/dex character has +116 damage from stats with a +10 mirdan hammer, which is well over half the value listed on the wiki for one at max stats. The base damage will be considerably less, but don't underestimate the power of +5 crushing on a 2h weapon.
14/12 which was my starting stats are enough for my main weapon. With one more point in strength I can use the compound longbow, which will be what I am aiming for in the short run. My only use for shields would be for closing distance with archers (any 100% shield) or stats while hanging on my back; so I don't really care about upping strength or dexterity beyond that. If I stick with this character long enough I may end up dumping more points in those stats, but from my other playthroughs both of those stats seem really lackluster.

My only real worry is as I mentioned the ability to temporarily boost the weapon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Go +10 then, that gives you the best base damage. Not real sure why you wouldn't spring for the White Bow, since it has better base damage than you're gonna get out of the other bows.
If I had to raise stats all the way to 20/24 a properly upgraded compound would likely beat it anyway - quality +5 is definitely better for my 30/24 all rounder.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 22, 2009

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Armed Neutrality posted:

Quick question, I read that this game doesn't have a pause feature, nor does it pause when you open the XMB. How do you guys get around this? My lifestyle isn't really conducive to an hour or more of uninterrupted gaming. Does the game save all the time? Can I just quit and start again pretty much where I left off, or will I start back in the hub or whatever everytime I start up again?
If you quit in a level it will save your progress in that level, and you will return to the same spot. Once you become familiar with the levels they aren't really that long, most can be completed in 10-15 minutes - and you will get familiar with them when rerunning them to get to the boss.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I just got through testing which of the weapons I have access to can have temporary buffs and it just seems to be completely random. For example Meat Cleaver and Brand can be buffed but Istarelle not. Makoto can't be buffed but Gripless can. Crescent, Blessed and Dragon all cannot be buffed.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Istarelle does magic damage, so it can't have an added effect, just like a Crescent weapon or the Blueblood sword. Makoto has an added Bleed parameter to it, so it's already enchanted.

It's not random at all, look at the stats of the actual weapons. Anything that already does either magic damage or one of the 4 status effects automatically will not be able to be buffed with Turpentine or Sticky White Stuff. It's pretty straightforward.
As has been been mentioned the Meat Cleaver and Blueblood can be enchanted both of which do magic damage, and I know there were at least a few more - which I can't recall now. Gripless also has a bleed effect, so why can that be enchanted but Makoto and the Large Sword of Searching not? I had several theories going into this, but none of them held up.

Shalinor posted:

Why wouldn't you use a shield with a polearm?

King Gonorrhea posted:

Yeah, I've got no idea what he's talking about. I only use polearm weapons. I have a winged spear, a miridian hammer, and a halbred. I use all of them one handed with a sheild. I own enemies left and right.

Edit: I'm also playing a Temple Knight, though class only effects initial stat build, so he must not have the strength or dexterity necessary to weild it one-handed? I really don't know.
I was talking about the speed of one handed attacks with Mirdan Hammer / Halberd. Spears have a different attack animation and are awesome with a shield.

For the "real" polearms the extremely long one handed attack animation gets me slaughtered if I try to use them with a shield - meanwhile the two handed animation is one of the fastest attacks in the game, has an amazing reach and seems to have a very high chance of stunning enemies and it won't stun you when you hit a shield.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 23, 2009

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Oae Ui posted:

I'm upgrading an uchigatana but I'm having trouble deciding between the sharp (big dex bonus) and tearing (bleeding damage) lines. The wiki doesn't have these filled out. Does anyone have any experience with either upgrade path and which one might do more damage in the end? Also, I only see the quality and mercury lines available right now with my sword at +3. I assume I need to get it higher before sharp or tearing appears? This is the first time I've bothered with anything other than the normal upgrade path.
According to the wiki both Sharp and Tearing are available at the base level for uchigatanas, so you would have to find a new one or use a meltstone.

If anyone who can read Japanese is following this thread at the moment I'd like some help deciphering something on this Japanese site Talran linked.

I need to get more Chunks of Hardstone which the English wiki tells me only drops from crystal geckos in 1-4 and 2-2, and I have pretty much exhausted those in my current game. However if I am understanding the google translated version of that Japanese page correctly, something else should drop them too.

I am talking about :
塊:結晶トカゲ(坑2)、鱗肌工夫(焼き鏝
Mass: lizard crystal (hole 2), squamous skin device (鏝baked)

Particularly the second part. It's obviously miners, but I don't recall any of them looking particularly like potheads. Perhaps the ones with heated polearms? That type doesn't seem to show up on the enemies page.

These are the squamous skin devices listed: (Iron Fist), (bag), (Pickaxe), (Pickaxe strength), (hammer), (鏝baked), (rock throwing), (unarmed).

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Babelfish gives a much more useful translation for that line: Burning Iron. The enemy section of that wiki doesn't list what ores those guys drop and the item section seems to just have a catch-all for guys that can drop any quality of ore, so don't be too disappointed if you spend an hour hunting and have nothing but splinters to show for it. It really didn't help that the kanji used for "iron" is apparently not on either the Jouyou or Jinmei lists, which means it's essentially unused.
The last half of that made no sense to me.

This is the page where i got the idea that they should drop chunks (lump/mass), now in Babelfish. And, yea "the scaly skin device (it burns, the iron)" makes a lot more sense, thanks.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Oae Ui posted:

What I meant is that my uchigatana is at +3 normal, not Quality or anything else, and all I can see are Mercury and Quality as different upgrade paths. So long as I'm still along the normal line I should be able to see all of my other options regardless of upgrade level, right? I don't recall seeing any other options at +0 for it. Is there something I need to do to see these other options?

Most of the specialty upgrades can only be done by Ed, and only after you have given him Flame Lurker's soul.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Talran posted:

And scaled worker is just a way of identifing those miners....
To me they are now squamous/scaly skin devices. :colbert:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, the only thing Ed needs the Flamelurker soul is for the special weapons that consume boss souls.
Odd, I definitely remember not being able to make a crescent before I handed in Flame Lurker's soul.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Am I correct in assuming that he needs you to give him the soul again in NG+ before you can get back to crafting items from boss souls?
Yes.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Talran posted:

Crescent doesn't consume a boss soul
That is what I am saying.

Feenix posted:

Was I hallucinating?
That is odd. I haven't heard of NPC Black Phantoms that aren't linked to World Tendency disappearing.

Edit: There is definitely two BPs in that tunnel, not linked to WT.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I think all BPs that resemble player characters will not respawn once killed and that all BPs that do look like monsters can respawn, some require black tendency however.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Nick Biped posted:

We had only gotten a little into the stage when a Black Phantom suddenly came out of nowhere, so I guess Blue Phantoms don't get a warning.
You don't get a warning if the Black Phantom is already in the level when you get summoned. If he breaks in after you are summoned you get the usual warning, and you'll usually see the 1-2 other guys with you turn around and head to the point of entry to make sure the black phantom doesn't get past you.

dis astranagant posted:

My experience vs people with the meat cleaver is that I roll out of the way of the first one and them hit them with a hammer combo while they recover and they die.
This. The meat cleaver has amazing damage, a great secondary effect (knockdown) and huge delay. Smart players will wait for you to swing and destroy you if you give them the room to evade.

I've had some awesome fights lately. I summoned one helper at the start of 4-2 in NG+, some special case who was two handing the spiked shield. As I got the first cutscene the invaded message comes up and we both turned back to the ledge, where my living shield occupies the black phantom; I run in and stab him to death with my mirdan hammer - in the same second one more Black Phantom jumps down from above, apparently he didn't see how badly the other guy got it and he goes down in seconds. The game must have hickupped and let two black phantoms join I guess, no worries we continue and clear up to the two golden skeletons as we get another Black Phantom joining. This one manages to slip past us, probably thinking he will ambush us later he rushes to the gold skeletons and is blocked by a fog door, fighting ensues - he rolls off the ledge. Somehow my special case helper runs ahead and murders everything else in the level by beating it with his shield, barely before I can get to them.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Brackhar posted:

^^^
Remember that your world tendency resets if you quit the game in the Nexus. Next time you beat a boss check out the world tendency map before and afterwords.

pukeshoes posted:

FYI from the wiki: with the 1.02 patch, if you shift a world's tendency and quit your online game from the Nexus, then the world tendency will be reset when you log back in.
People keep saying this, and I can't get it to happen - at most I can get world tendency to shift slightly towards neutral, but it's at most half a point assuming we go by pure white being +3.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Sunday Punch posted:

The first 4 or 5 times I invaded 3-3 (trying to get the yellow hat) those mind flayers killed the other guy before I had a chance to fight them :(. Apparently you don't get that hat unless you kill them yourself.
It's a random chance, you can get it as long as you win. I have gotten it both when the other dude died to mind flayers and once when I mauled him my self. Both times I had used the blue stone in 3-1 rather than the black one in 3-3 however.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

You can't use a black stone in 3-3. That fight only actually triggers via a blue stone.

I have used a black stone in the same spot as you drop the blue message in 3-3, I can't recall if I was actually ever summoned with the black though.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Gripless takes 3% each strike.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, how in the gently caress are you supposed to kill BP Selen? This is some sort of sick joke. Let's give a BP that can kill you in 3 hits a sword that totally ignores shields AND let's make you fight her in the swamp where you can't run except for a small little island that's about the size of your meat cleaver. What the christ.

I tried sniping her... didn't work. Tried sniping till she healed, then rush her... didn't work. Tried straight up fighting her with Soul Remains like every other NPC... didn't work. :wtc:

Please someone give me more constructive advice than Sykic because I swear I'm gonna punch him in the face if he says "it's easy man, just get behind her and backstab her" one more time, because I cannot comprehend how someone would even manage that alone. With help, sure, but not alone.
I wore the thief ring because I forgot to take it off, but it helped me get on solid ground before she came after me. I had a fully upgraded Mirdan Hammer + Anti Magic Field, the only thing she could do was run - which she did, and ended up caught in the fence between the first and second sections of the swamp. The range and speed of a pole arm negated her offense, anti magic field took care of the healing.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Pole arm, you will hit her before she can hit you and you will probably have her staggered after 2 swings. If you have tons of stamina you can just keep poking her till she dies - unless you let her run off into the swamp, which naturally doesn't slow her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

pukeshoes posted:

I was thinking of playing the thief class next since I've settled into a pretty comfortable groove with my knight. Is the thief class really all that viable for stealth? Is there some special bonus that thieves get by virtue of their class? I ask because the thief's ring has been alright for keeping my knight out of trouble, but I really don't think I'd survive long without my armor and heavy weapons.
Classes mean nothing beyond starting stats and equip. Stealth versus players is about not having any visible status effects and stacking the few items / spells that make you 'harder to detect' and using the environment to your advantage. Stealth versus monsters is about the thief ring / hide and walking slowly.

• Locked thread