Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Kessel posted:

The thread title pretty much sums up the entire loving game. :saddowns:

I'm so happy that Policenaut chose that for the thread title. People need to get used to seeing those words in that order as soon as possible if they're going to play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Policenaut posted:

I think you can only do the Selen side-quest after you defeat Astraea.

Confirming this. You fight black-phantom Garl in the same place you fight the 5-3 boss, so you have to clear the 5-3 boss out first.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Evacuation is indispensable. For the price of four one-time-use Splinters of Keystone you have a miracle that gives the same effect. Knowing you can always return to the Nexus from wherever you are with all of your souls collected takes a lot of the stress out of exploring unknown areas or potentially getting lost.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Quinton posted:

Is it possible to get Boletaria to pure white, post-patch on a first play through?

I've managed to get all worlds pure white by defeating all three bosses while corporeal. In offline mode, you don't have to do this in one session, but the tricky part is not dying while in your body (at least not in the world you're trying to get pure white).

I'm about to try to get Boletarian Palace to pure white by first getting it to pure black and then killing the primeval demon, all of black phantoms I can find, and the 1-3 boss. If that doesn't do it, then I'll try to kill the 1-4 boss too, which should hopefully be enough. If that's not enough... well, I'll let you all know so you don't try it. :)

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
The PS3 is due for a price drop soon, I believe. Electronics/gaming stores usually have incentives for buying consoles at their store around price-drop time, as they know that new people will suddenly be in the market for a console and they want you to buy it from them as opposed to some other store. Best Buy in particular is good about giving away gift cards with high-profile releases and price drops.

As for the Adjudicator's shield, its situation is not unique. Colorless-soul upgrades tend to be extremely incremental—you'll get a slight boost in one aspect of the weapon/shield and that's it, unlike the major improvements found when you take a non-unique weapon/shield to the next tier up. For example, the only difference between a Dark Silver Shield and the +5 version is that the former has a Hit Resistance of 50 and the latter has a Hit Resistance of 65. Each colorless soul adds 3 to Hit Resistance, that's it.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Tortolia posted:

Where's the Primevil Demon in 3-2?

Go down to the swamp and follow the rickety wooden pier-type path. When you reach the spot where the path branches between a left turn and solid ground which goes uphill, turn left, staying on the pier.

Keep following the pier, turning left, left, and then right. Do not hop down off of the pier or descend any steps. There is only one way to go if you follow those rules, and it leads to another isolated bit of solid ground. The primeval demon is on the right-hand side of this spot, but it has a couple of fully-grown centipedes to keep it company.

Regarding how viable daggers/light swords are as primary weapons, many enemies will also be stunned momentarily if you remove a certain percentage of their overall HP with a single hit. Since you can swing lighter weapons extremely quickly, stunlocking otherwise dangerous enemies (the 3-1 guards and 1-3/2-1 ministers come to mind) is quite possible.

Squint fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 31, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
More plot beardiness ahoy!

In the opening cinematic a short list of heroes who went into the fog before the player character is given, and one of the entries is "the maiden Astraea and her knight, Garl Vinland." The central theme of the Valley of Defilement is impurity, as the valley is supposedly the repository for all the world's filth and decay.

Going off of the spell and miracle descriptions for those available with Astraea's soul, she represented purity. It can be assumed that she and Garl originally entered the valley in an attempt to purify it, but succumbed to the valley's demonic presence and instead became its new custodians (Freke mentions how humans can become demons if you talk to him enough).

Being demons the least removed from their humanity, however, they still retain some ability to appeal to human nature through persuasion and seeding doubt, though their chamber has a pile of corpses and probably the single most deadly environment in the game, the hellbaby-infested pond of plague juice, which should be enough to convince you that they're not the good people they once were.

This next part you probably shouldn't read until you've beaten the game once.

At the end, it's revealed that killing all of those demons earns you an audience with the Old One, and the maiden in black refers to you as a "new demon" while the Old One approaches. It is likely that Astraea and Garl Vinland were in a similar situation earlier on, perhaps after killing whatever demon originally resided in 5-3.

The Old One, being your usual omniscient, immortal force, is well aware of your intentions as you enter, but is confident enough in the intoxicating lure of more souls to allow you to choose for yourself. Astraea and Garl chose demonhood.

Squint fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 31, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah once you learn how to dodge his attacks he is pretty easy. Taking advantage of the brazier in the middle helps too. What does cutting his tail off do though?

Cutting off Maneater's tail gets rid of that that triple-homing Soul Arrow-like attack he does while flying, as well as the move where the tail bites his head and gives him that yellow glow which makes him more aggressive and cuts all damage in half.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Shoulder buttons correspond to your left and right hands. R1 is a quick attack, R2 is a slower, stronger attack. These can be mixed up to a limited degree to get different "combo" moves. For example, pressing R2 and then R1 with a straight sword makes your character do the strong stabbing attack followed up by a fast horizontal slash. Each class of weapon behaves differently, however, and delivers different types of damage in different ways.

With a shield equipped in the left hand, L1 holds it up to block, and L2 either performs a parry move or shield-bashes, depending on the type and size of the shield. Large shields offer better insulation against stamina loss on a successful block than medium or small shields, but they cannot be used to parry due to their size. If you have a weapon in the offhand it gets a little more complicated. some of them block in L1 and swing in L2, others have attacks for both, and still others can be used to parry (the Paring Knife even has a bonus for this in the form of a larger window in which you can "land" the parry).

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

sclark13 posted:

One thing I'm a bit curious at, is how frustrating the difficulty is in Demons Souls. Is it Ninja Gaiden hard? Kings Field was always hard and frustrating because of how slow you move and the clumsy controls. Otherwise it probably would have been a much easier game.

It's difficult, but it's a fair difficult, not a fighting-the-controls difficult or clear-this-bullshit-minigame-to-advance difficult. If you go slow and pay attention, you'll live much longer than if you treat it like a mindless hack-n-slash action RPG. You never really turn into a huge unkillable badass in this game, no matter how much you level up, so if you keep your sense of your own mortality close, it'll serve you well.

I think that's what I like about this game. You can't really cover up bad strategy or low skill with levels, because you'll still get killed. It isn't a case of "attempt this boss only after you reach level x" but more a case of "watch the boss's attacks for a while and give it a good try, then try again seriously after I die." In Demon's Souls, player experience > character experience.

Hamburger Test posted:

I have a question regarding the end of the game.

Can you still raise stats when the maiden is standing in front of the Old One, or will talking to her trigger the end of the normal game? I ask because Allant took away one point of spirit, which I need to properly wield my Blueblood Sword, and there is still a lot I need to do regarding black world / character tendency.

To elaborate on the answer, killing the 1-4 boss is the point of no return as far as buying stat points with souls. However, you can still visit any of the five worlds and do farming/tendency stuff for as long as you like. As soon as you talk to the maiden in black, however, you're in the final sequence of that playthrough.

Squint fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 9, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
There is also a very narrow safe spot. I didn't know about it until I saw Biorr standing in the middle of a set of steps without getting knocked down by the fire. I ran up to Biorr's position and, sure enough, the flames didn't touch me.

It's about halfway up the second set of steps, IIRC. Unfortunately, Biorr is the best frame of reference, so this safe spot may not be too reliable to find on your own.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
You can't wear two rings of the same kind. The game tells you as much when you try it.

To get the rune stuff, it works better if you kind of grind up against the wall next to the drop and move "diagonally" off the edge. If you step out perpendicular to the lower ledge then I could see how you'd fly off into empty space more often than not.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Feenix posted:

[edit] I see an icon of (me I presume) that has a green up Arrow. I've apparently leveled? Do I need to do anything?

The icons that appear beneath the green stamina bar are any bonuses or detriments you're receiving. If you're seeing a little armor icon with a green up arrow it means you're receiving a defense bonus. It's not necessarily a physical defense bonus, but some sort of damage mitigation you're getting, either from equipment or a spell.

vvvvvv "Checkpoints" in worlds come in the form of beating bosses and unlocking archstones. There are usually shortcuts, however, which you either open up or discover during the course of exploring the world you're in.

Squint fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 18, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

nominal posted:

So, what's the endgame like? Will I be able to level enough to not worry about completely screwing up my stats by trying to be a generalist or should I just pick a specialty and hit it hardest? Or can it be done either way?

All of my characters have turned out to be almost completely even as far as attribute point distribution goes. There's no "gently caress I just made the game impossible" build, although perhaps raising Luck too far ahead of everything else would provide a bit of a challenge to an already-challenging game.

You can specialize, but that essentially only means you'll be able to use certain weapons, equipment, or spells at a Soul Level that another character at the same Soul Level whose points are spread more evenly could not.

Sankis is right, the real "specialization" choices come in the form of deciding what to use your demon souls for.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Drop them. There's no selling in this game.

Caveat to this: some stuff you should hang onto for PS3 trophies, but it's generally unique stuff. Check the wiki later on when you get into weapon-making.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
It's also one of the weapons required for the Soldier's Trophy, but that's impossible to get on your first playthrough anyhow (due to Northern Regalia), so you can just make the Scraping Spear in New Game+.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

McCoy Pauley posted:

What's the best non-large sword I can turn into a Dragon Sword -- the Knight Sword? The larger swords (like the Bastard Sword) will not be as fast to swing, right?

Yep, the Knight Sword; it has the highest base damage of all the non-unique straight swords which can be upgraded to Dragon. You're also right about the large swords being slower—upgrading them doesn't do anything to their swing speed.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
The False King is definitely doable by yourself; Fuzz is talking about Old King Doran.

Doran doesn't have any gimmicks aside from being able to dish out and take insane amounts of damage. In my opinion, it's the most difficult stand-up fight in the game by a huge margin.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Randall posted:

Either way, how is the translation in game? Is there a lot of engrish?

The Engrish is extremely mild, and there are only a couple of phrases that are outright misleading (like the "Experience" stat that upgrades with Dexterity, or the description for the Soldier's/Hero's souls). The rest is just passing little "huh, that isn't right" moments which would only really stick out to native speakers (e.g. "YOU REGAINED LOST SOUL," "This is harsh. Evaluate me").

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

MrKnowitall posted:

Why the hell isn't it going to be released in the US? The translation is already ready for a North America Release, and certainly if it was released in the states a fuckton of people would play it. I think this is probably going to end up being the best RPG on the PS3. Wouldn't they want to roll in the mad cash?

The potential cash isn't as mad as you might think. As always, the bottom line reveals the truth. This game appeals to a rather narrow section of RPG gamers, not to mention gamers overall. Also, the cost of importation, true localization, and advertising in a market as large as North America would cut deep into likely shallow profits.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Nexus deaths are caused by two things: falling from a great height or picking a fight with an NPC and losing. As to why someone would want to attack an NPC, I'd leave that explanation for after you're further along in the game.

The soul system is use-or-lose to keep the fear of death ever present. There is no time limit at any point of the game, nor are there any Resident-Evil style perks for beating the game as quickly as possible, so take it slow and careful.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Ooh, another new DS player. Eagerly looking forward to the traditional exasperated post regarding 1-2. :)

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Thievery posted:

I was wondering if there's a second Talisman of God anywhere. My main guy gave it to the crow for souls or something, and now I have Evacuate but can't use it.

One Talisman of God is in 4-1, in the yard outside the main gate (I'm assuming it's the one you traded to the crow). The other one is in 5-1, not far into the level either. Just keep looting the pre-existing corpses in 5-1 until you find it, it won't take long.

As for Evacuate, just having it available when you leave the Nexus takes a tremendous amount of worry off your shoulders. With Evacuate, you'll always have a safety net for returning to the Nexus with your souls (and body, if you have it!) intact. Black-Phantom invasion is the exception, yes, but if Evacuate worked during that, people would bail on even more invasions then they already do.

Squint fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 9, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Seven Hats posted:

Is King Doran's gear worth the trouble in tendency shift/trying to bring him down?

I maintain that Old King Doran is the toughest straight-up fight in the game. He hits hard and takes little damage, and he can heal whenever he likes. He is a huge pain in the rear end, but killable.

His armor is decent—it's very light for the protection it gives. It's sort of the male version of Miralda's armor. The real prize, though, IMO, is the Eternal Warrior's ring you get from him, which kicks stamina regeneration into overdrive.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
The amount of souls earned per kill seems to scale slightly per your level, but even if I'm just imagining that you definitely do get a significant boost in souls for every New Game+ you start.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
You can see the death count for characters who've made it into the Pantheon, but I don't think I've ever noticed a screen where I saw my own death count.

That's probably a good thing, at least for me. It would be depressing as hell.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Fall 2009? drat, it's going to be a while before I can LP this game. :(

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Nick Biped posted:

I just used long-distance attacks for that fight. I put on my Thief Ring, stood pretty far back and used my viscous compound long bow on each one. They'd get hit, move towards me, but then would go back and stand in their original spot. I'd fire again, they'd approach and go back, etc. Takes awhile, but at least once they're gone, that's it.

"Cheese it with arrows" is a pretty reliable strategy for most "how do I kill ______________" situations. Except for Old King Doran, who remains refreshingly cheese-resistant.

Morvus, if you want to melee the sucker, backstabbing is the way to do it. Like the spear-wielding red knights, the heavy armor BP in 1-4 will sometimes do a series of two or three spear thrusts. Wait for a strong one—one where he really extends himself. Get behind him and slip a dagger into his ribcage.

Failing that, just cheese him with arrows. :)

Squint fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 22, 2009

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Destructoid posted:

The Atlus Spoils program continues with a $69.99 "Stop Importing It" edition.

Hahaha, nice.

So I'm guessing the earliest this game could be LPed now is 6 January. Marking my calendar.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Octo1 posted:

And as for the reaper at the decending staircase, just melee him so that he'd drop to his death, but make sure not to fall yourself (he's standing very close to the ledge)

I've always done this; with a stabbing motion such as the heavy attack for straight swords, it pushes him to his death every time.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Aside from getting really good at beating Maneater* and then pretty much doing it for your host, Tower of Latria is a bitch to get white tendency in.

*two-handing the Makoto and being able to fast-roll works really well if you're a meleer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Is grinding souls a valid strategy?

Stats and levels don't affect this game in quite the same way that they do in other RPGs. I recommend you think of stats more in terms of granting you access to spell/miracle/armor/weapon x rather than making boss/stage/situation y "doable." Building your skill as a player will carry you a lot farther (and faster) than grinding souls.

• Locked thread