Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Forget about a PC port, and don't expect a US release any time soon

I don't think this game is quite worth buying a PS3 for - it is really drat good, but not ~$400 good.

On the other hand, the various PS3 exclusives (Resistance, Ratchet, Uncharted, MGS, etc), are all quite good, so if you're planning on playing more than just DS, or you were already looking at a PS3 for other reasons, it'd be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't get your hopes up for some sort of Thief or MGS style stealth. This game does not have that.

You CAN sneak up on enemies and backstab them, and the various stealth enhancing items are quite powerful, but they're more useful for avoiding encounters, or closing the distance without being noticed than any sort of 'true' stealth gameplay. They're also quite powerful in pvp, as they can make you nearly invisible.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Depends on the enemy. Some are really easy, some are drat hard. The normal humanoids in Boletaria and the knights are almost comically easy, with the exception of the spear users. The skeletons aren't too bad in Storms once you learn to relax, but others are significantly tougher. I have a hard time gauging goblins and gargoyles, and gently caress gold skeletons. I don't think you can parry giant skeletons.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Raptop posted:

So basically I am esegk?

rofl, well, I suppose it depends on how many other games with this sort of mechanic you've played - I was already dmc/ng trained, so parrying was comfortable right away.

really though, you don't *have* to parry anything. I've gone through the game with a range of characters - playing as a dw only rogue forced me to learn parrying as a survival mechanic, and also taught me the value of simple avoidance. conversely, playing as a heavy armor heavy shield type - you don't need to parry poo poo, you just block it and punish the fool for hitting you.

Don't get obsessed with it - missing a parry means taking damage, blocking means taking little or none, dodging usually means taking none. It's the most rewarding defensive tool, but its also the riskiest, and it isn't needed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I thought we'd gone over the class thing enough - classes are just starting stats and equipment, nothing else. No class is going to be 'stronger' or 'weaker' at pvp than anything but very low levels, and looking for 'serious' pvp from this game is foolish at best. It adds a unique element of fear on your first playthrough when you get invaded, and its hilarious to invade later, but otherwise, it's not the focus of the game by any stretch of the imagination.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

--Dodge, roll, avoid getting hit. That's the basic key to combat -- you just can't absorb many blows, so avoid them.

It's worth mentioning that you absolutely CAN make an armored tank character. Get high endurance, high vitality, giving you high hp and stam pools, then get yourself a fat suit of armor and a bigass shield, and you can take huge amounts of punishment.

While the game is totally free about what you can use, you tend to be limited by points in your first playthrough, it isn't until much higher level where you can really become a (useful) jack of all trades. One of the joys of the game is building your character into a specific archetype - and heavy tank is just as viable as light agile evasion (and each has trouble with different encounters!).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

So is anyone NOT using a one-handed weapon and shield combination? That's all I ever see online, and every time I experiment with anything else I regret it.

I mean, other than the occasional situation that calls for a bow or something.

I went through the game using dual wield only and 2h only - it's a lot of fun. Doing the dual wield thing greatly improves your parry skill, and 2h weapons in general are pretty cool, and their slower speed changes the danger of certain enemies.

I've completed the game with those and others, so pretty much anything is viable. s+s is just the easiest way to start playing the game, everything is hard your first time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tufty posted:

Speaking of 1-3, anybody else really loving hate that level? The ninjas suck, all the knights sucks, the masses of soldiers suck, and the 3 red eyed knights right before the boss really suck.

I love it, the whole area is parry bait, and you look awesome while murdering them

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Streaming live from the beginning in a moment

http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So what's the word on the world Tendency system in the US release?

Did they change it so that going full white or black isn't a giant pain in the rear end now?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's no need to be connected to play, enjoy, or finish the game

Being connected just adds some interesting bits to the atmosphere, and potentially makes the game easier through in-game tips and coop

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I beat the game four times and have no interest in platinum. Does that help you? :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Aries posted:

Also, loving this game, holy poo poo. Though I do have to resort to cheesing most of the bosses (hiding with my bow in a corner and firing like a maniac), which isn't the most satisfying, but hell, my character isn't good enough yet!

No, you aren't good enough yet!

(no seriously, most of the bosses can be dodged/blocked/beaten down in melee if you know what's what)

As for Platinum, it's mostly just an exercise in boring farming to complete some of the weapons, which I have zero interest in. Much more fun to explore a variety of character playstyles.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the gently caress, they're seriously blocking shipping to the EU? That is so hosed

Get someone to buy it for you and mail it to you

And no, no difference in the asian version, just a few slightly clunkier translations on items, but the voices are all in perfect english

Only real difference is you'd be playing on the asian multi servers instead of us, which is only a real problem if you want to coop with someone else using the us version.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's no save anything, anywhere :P

You eventually unlock shortcuts through long levels, and you can warp to the area of any defeated boss, but otherwise, you die, you restart the level

As for the difficulty, it's of the learnable, conquerable variety, not the 'gently caress this game that was a cheap death' type

... though you're going to swear that anyway

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You never lose character progress. The only thing you lose by dying is souls on hand (and those can be retrieved as long as you don't die a second time in the same area)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SlippyFists posted:

while looking at the Demon's Souls Wiki, there's a lot of builds mentioned, but not really explained, what's a Saints build, or exorcist build for the priest class, and the sage build for the magician class?

Sounds like some nonsense someone stuck on the wiki

There aren't any 'builds'. You can develop your stats towards a particular weapon or set of spells early on, but that's about it, and only really useful once you know what's available in the game (ie, not your first playthrough unless you're cheating and looking at spoilers)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Demon's Souls supports the Players Met function so yeah, expect the occasional hate mail if you're PvPing

I am suddenly fighting an overpowering urge to get the US version of DS

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tons

And yes, you'll miss a lot of goodies

But all of us made it through just fine without it, and it leaves lots of fun stuff to find on subsequent playthroughs

If you cheat and find all that early, it makes the game easier and takes away from the feeling of discovery

Plus you're a horrible person :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Raptop posted:

Nope. It is completely anonymous. And slightly time shifted I think.

Actually it's realtime, which is rather impressive

If you spot a white ghost in the same area as you, you can wave/gesture at them, and if they're paying attention, they can do the same thing back to you - I've exchanged emotes with jp players on occasion in the asian version.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Mine is in my hands right now, and the guide mentions the Sticky White Stuff.

If they left it untouched, that is fantastic and I love Atlus

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Darknight630 posted:

What's so significant about this "Sticky White Stuff" in relation to Demon's Souls?

Guessing it's an item or something oh well.

It's an item that imbues a weapon with magic damage

More critically, any item that has a name can be left as a message on the ground

... leading, naturally, the japanese servers to have messages of 'Sticky White Stuff' in front of every female NPC rated positively 958 times

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you want to play the coward, Find and equip a Thief's Ring. It greatly reduces the range enemies will detect you, and you can easily play a pussy ranged sniper by abusing it. It's a good item in general even for melee lovers, as it keeps extra enemies from joining the party, and lets you run away more easily if things go south. Oh, and it works against Black Phantoms :D

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

What do you get if you beat it during the tutorial?

His soul, a few minor items, and FALCON PUNCH

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

For those of you who have the guide: How detailed are the equipment tables? The biggest thing lacking online is detailed info on what each kind of upgrade does for each weapon.

??

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's like... a tiny handful of minor items and maybe one or two fairly obvious routes behind debris

also rofl@powerups

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is in no way an MMO, and trying to play coop through the whole game, while possible, is very clunky

You can definitely help each other out with tough bosses, but trying to do the whole game would be an exercise in patience

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hide like a bitch, dart out to attack

Recommend enchanting your weapon with fire or magic if you can, unless you're attacking her at range

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A good secondary weapon is a firebranded weapon - a good dragon longsword or mace does high, consistent damage throughout your first playthrough, and its easy to use. They lose their luster at higher levels, because they gain no stat modifications, but they're great secondary weapons early on.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

How much does dual wielding really improve damage output? I couldn't tell the few times I tried it out.

It doesn't really, just gives you an alternative attack pattern

Now, you can offhand the parrying dagger, which works really well for riposting, and it's what I used in my offhand for my dw thief. Riposting and gut stabbing enemies never, ever gets old

edit: it's also useful for having two different damage types on hand

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That fight is one of the few I can see being worth going offline for. With one of my characters, I got invaded every single time I fought the boss, and it was consistently pvp geared players who were very experienced, and I was playing a super lovely character. That was not fun.

Eventually killing one of the meat cleaving fuckheads was quite satisfying however.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fayk posted:

The maiden in black makes upgrading via souls sound so evil, too...

Muhahaha

Souls in item form are your 'bank'. Don't use those in levels, save them in your storage at the nexus for when you need an attribute point or two, or need to forge something and you're low on souls

The blue phantom/black phantom stones are infinite use, you can coop/pvp as much as you want

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Every weapon has a 'forward + attack' move, and one of the reasons I don't like the ever-popular Crescent Falchion is that its special attack _sucks_ and can in fact, get you quite killed

Weapons that have the 'shove' move are great, as they'll stagger enemies, opening them up for buttrape

edit: weapon specials are weapon class dependant, not item specific, so all daggers/eastern swords/etc

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's some bug in the US version that's causing full white tendency (and apparently miralda gear!) to appear for some people. That'd explain the people saying they haven't encountered the dragons in 1-1 also

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's one of the best games in years. Expect it to fail miserably at retail.

Ironically, pretty much every core aspect of the game is what the King's Field series was, and it never did well. The Ancient City is still an incredibly moody, oppressive game, even with asstacular ps2 graphics and weird controls.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The only thing you lose by dying is souls, which can be recovered, and if not, easily acquired later in the game in various farming areas (which is never necessary anyway)

All items you find are yours, bosses stay dead, shortcuts opened

Enemies do reappear, and yes, you will die and have to redo some levels, probably multiple times

It's a fantastic game though, you're missing out if you skip it

Also, this isn't a diablo style arpg at all. It's Oblivion that found its balls, hosed Nethack, and had a beautiful lovechild

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

that doesn't explain how he started with miralda's gear with a new character, still sounds like a bug

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anti magic spell + plague dagger + poison dagger

be that guy, its hilarious and loving evil

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

And you can wear any of that stuff as a thief. Class doesn't matter in DS :P It's just starting stats and gear.

Now, not solely raising dex entirely at the expense of strength, that I'd agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can easily get through the game, I finished one playthrough wearing leather armor the whole time. Hell, I finished it without a shield, so don't stress over your gear, your skill matters a hell of a lot more.

• Locked thread