Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After spending 300+ hours in dark souls across the 360, PS3, and PC I'm thinking about picking up Demon's Souls. Is this a solid decision? Are the servers still up? I hope so! I can't loving wait to get the feeling Dark Souls gave me the first time playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So after putting in 100's of hours into Dark Souls, I finally picked up Demon's Souls. Is there anything wildly different in this game I should be aware of after getting so used to Dark Souls? I can't wait to jump in and get destroyed and confused and hopefully make it through to the end!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Finally playing this game for the first time. Should I be attacking or pressing X to find hidden doors?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm planning on using a +10 winged spear and a blessed claymore. I already have my spear to +3. Are there any flow chart things that explain the weapon upgrading? I remember there was a very handy chart for Dark Souls. I looked around for one for this game but didn't have much luck.

I'd like to have a rough understanding of the tendency system, if only to find some sweet looking robes in 3-1.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just used my blue stone outside a fog door in 3-1 hoping to get summoned to a boss fight to get my humanity back. Instead I got summoned as a black phantom and some old zombie king wrapped my head in his lovely yellow cloth. What the heck? And it seems I'm stuck in this room with him.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Genocyber posted:

You just got drafted to be the boss. Do your duty.

I'd love to if this idiot I invaded ever gets here.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Wooo! Just killed that dude. The PVP in this felt much more responsive than Dark Souls on PS3/PC!

This game has a surprising number of people still playing it. I'm seeing white phantoms running aorund everywhere and I only had my sign down for ~2 minutes until I was summoned.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 21, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm thinking about using a winged spear and a blessed claymore. Those are my go-to weapons that I used for my first time through both Dark games.

If I go the blessed claymore route, how much faith should I aim for? Also how do fire weapons stack up? I'd be willing to use a fire claymore too.

I'm not sure what to do with the spear. I love using it, but there are no really great upgrade paths available if I use a blessed claymore. I could just go the basic path I suppose? Any opinions?

Alternatively I ditch the faith angle and figure out something else because a quick look at miracles makes them seem pretty lame.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 22, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Miracles are back on!

I think I'll shoot for blessed Mirdans and fire Claymore. That sounds fun.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 22, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is leveling Int the only way to increase my MP pool?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm interested in MP for miracles. I was cranky that Int gives spell slots and mp and nothing for miracles, but after thinking about things it's fair because mages still need int + magic the way int + faith is required for miracles.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Flamelurker is testing my skills and patience unlike anything I've fought in a Souls game yet. I have no intent of using spells or magic weapons but I'm considering making a weapon just for this fight. When I land blows 2H a claymore I'm only hitting him for 92 damage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I made myself a Mirdin Hammer +6 for this fight and it's not ending any better for me. I got the flamelurker to about 10% of his hp once and then he ran at me non-stop and did his exploding punch. I was having lots of fun until this boss. :(

edit: in traditional souls games fashion, I took a break to cool down, farmed some souls for a vitality level and some consumables, returned to flamelurker and kicked his rear end.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 27, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I already have it but gently caress, for $5 I may get it just so I don't have to put the disc in anymore :v:

Do your saves from physical copy over to digital just fine?

I'm interested in this too. When I play this game my PS3 is so loud spinning and reading the disc.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
At what level of faith should I switch my mirdin hammer +6 to a faith powered hammer? My faith is at 19 currently.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The plan I have committed to is running with a fire claymore and blessed mirdin hammer. I have a dragon claymore +2 and a mirdin +6. I'm getting antsy for the blessed hammer! I gotta get to smiting monsters with holy power and fire!

The fire claymore proved very useful in chopping up that leechmonger! Heal all you want rear end in a top hat cause I'm still going to burn you to the ground!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
gently caress this giant poison swamp. The poison isn't bothering me with all my hp regen, but I got smashed by a black phantom and haven't been able to find my way back to that area since.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

When you first go in, always keep the right wall in view, basically follow the right wall until it takes a really sharp turn to the right, then walk across and there'll be some platforms to navigate around from which you can avoid/get into a better position to deal with the phantom. When you reach the shanty town at the end, look around for a shortcut that lets you walk along the top of that right wall back to the starting point.

Does the short cut allow me to get to an item I saw near the start but was separated from by a broken bridge?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This goddamn swamp is the most boring, frustrating, and annoying zone I've experienced yet out of Demon's and both Dark games.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Bows benefit from the 2H stat reduction thing. The wiki says only 16 strength is required to wield the Lava Bow, but is dex decreased as well?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/lava-bow

I have 14 dex, the Lava Bow's HUD icon says "Ability Shortage" but I can still shoot it and I'm hitting the skeletons in 4-1 for 80 damage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What does upgrading shields do? IIRC in Dark Souls it gave the shield more offensive power so I never bothered. Is it the same in this game?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

mandrake776 posted:

It also raises the HP regeneration rate on the Adjudicator shield.

Ooooooh. I'm using that shield. I know what I'm working toward next time I play! Thanks!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

you need colorless demon souls to upgrade it though. i checked last night when i noticed it wasn't in ed's upgrade list

Are they limited in quantity/a bitch to obtain?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
World tendency is silly. I like this game a lot but after I finish this play through I doubt I'll bother with any more, entirely due to the tendency nonsense.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think it is pretty annoying to have a feature of the game tied to kill bosses in succession. Maybe it wasn't as annoying when the game was in its prime and you could get summoned for coop easily. But I view the bosses as a finite supply of something that influences world tendency. I've seen loads of white ghosts of players running around, but I've only been summoned once and I was summoned to fight for the Old Monk.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's all the brown poo poo that looks like maybe gross rain that's immediately around me in 5-2?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The good luck message someone left outside the fog gate to the boss in 1-4 is the worst part of getting back to the boss. The game won't show me Enter Fog unless I'm moving, but I can't press X to enter it while moving, if I stop moving X changes to Read Message, I can't press triangle to switch, and if you gently caress around too long the elevator goes back down.

:psyduck:

edit: if I have 20/16 Str/Dex and don't intend to increase them further, would it be better to upgrade my winged spear along the basic or quality path? I have a blessed mirdin hammer +3 and a dragon claymore +3, and I want the winged spear for straight physical damage.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 16, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

is there no way to get melee attacks on the blue dragon? my lava bow shots were doing like 19 damage and gently caress that

I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I'm considering upgrading another bow to do physical damage because the lava now isn't doing a loving thing, and it seems arrows are the only option and I'm sick of randomly getting toasted on my way to the boss.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Reposting my question about the winged spear from the previous page:

if I have 20/16 Str/Dex and don't intend to increase them further, would it be better to upgrade my winged spear along the basic or quality path? I have a blessed mirdin hammer +3 and a dragon claymore +3, and I want the winged spear for straight physical damage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think I may be done with this game and 1-4 is entirely to blame. The run to the boss has beaten me down. I've died so many times to poo poo that never was a problem in previous runs. The second red eye knight just dropped out of the sky while I was killing the crossbowmen early on in the level. The next run the dragon toasted me on the first sprint past it at a point that I have never had a problem. Add the second dragon run to this list too because that's unpredictable too. I'm tired of getting stuck on weird geometry and getting burned by the dragon or shot in the face or back with a flame jet from those fat fucks. Just to name a few 'what the gently caress how did that happen' moments. It's just not fun anymore. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Is there anything else you can do? 1-4 is the final dungeon, so to speak. Alternatively slap that Thief's Ring on to evade everything and use the foolproof dragon tricks of 'run to the absolute closest not-death zone, book it after he burns everything' and then on the stairs 'bait on the left and then run on the right'.

That's a good idea. I do have one or two other levels to complete. I'm annoyed that I've never gotten to this point of annoyance and apathy toward seeing through the game in either of Dark games

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Kill the dragon by shooting it with 1000 arrows. Running past him sucks.

This is what I decided to do. This bastard has a lot of HP.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

sounds like someone should look into poisoning allant :v:

I've only made it to Allant three times because of the bullshit run. The dragon is dead now. I'm upgrading my Adjudicator's shield right now and then returning to finish off this jerk king.

edit: Allant went down like a chump.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished this with the good ending. It was a fun game, but I think I'm done with it - there's too much gaming of the system to be done with all the tendency bullshit for me to be bothered to see everything it has to offer. The final boss fight was a joke, but I suppose it's fitting to cap off a game of underwhelming boss fights. It's evident From Software learned several lessons from this game that they applied in Dark Souls.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much and as always, playing a Souls game for the first time is a real treat. :)

• Locked thread