Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Grab your sword and don your armor, we're taking a trip to the kingdom of Boletaria! This is Demon's Souls!

Apparently all the cool IRC dudes are on #FromGoons on irc.synirc.net

The Official Website
:siren:English Wiki made by Goons and GAFfers!:siren: If you have any questions about the game, consult the Wiki first!
Find other brave Goons here!
Come to a time when we didn't even know if this game was in English! The first thread!

What is Demon's Souls?

Demon's Souls is the latest title from famed niche game developers From Software, known for titles such as: Armored Core, Chromehounds, Tenchu, and Ninja Blade. This third-person Role Playing Game is designed to be the spiritual successor to From Software's infamous King's Field franchise, renowned for its ridiculous difficulty and steep learning curve. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Demon's Souls brings hardcore JRPG action exclusively to the PlayStation 3!

What makes it different from other RPGs available to the PS3?

Demon's Souls caters to a special audience with a product that simply can't be found in today's modern homogonized gaming market. An experience in which you simply can't get in any other title on the PlayStation 3 or any other major video game console on the market! This game can best be described as a macabre mash-up of titles such as King's Field, Monster Hunter and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Demon's Souls takes its inspiration straight from European and American developers, while giving it a distinct Japanese feel. It plays itself straight up in a gritty in a traditional European fantasy style, featuring full English voice acting and environments that vary from decrepid castles to the dank depths of Hell.

The equipment set-up is reminiscent of computer-based RPGs of the late 80s and early 90s, featuring a plethora of equipment and weaponry for you to utilize. Your opponents? Dark knights, brain-eating zombies, gigantic lizards, slimes, and everything the twisted world can throw at you! Your bosses? Humongous trolls wielding cleavers, red dragons that burn you to cinders, gigantic tarantulas which wrap you up in webbing, and the list goes on! There's nothing like a mascot enemy here, and your final boss certainly isn't a winged dude with symphonic accompanyment.

And the cherry on top? This game is completely balls-to-the-wall hard! That's right, there's no hand holding in Demon's Souls! There's no thirty minute long tutorial sequence, unskippable in-game pop-ups, button mashing battles, or Quick Time Events. If you want a game that rewards hard work and effort, Demon's Souls is the game for you!

This is a game that pulls no punches, gives little thought, and spares few words. The monsters will gang up on you, you'll fight bosses that will kill you in a single hit, you'll lose your footing and fall to your death, and be abused for your mistakes. You'll have to fight tooth and nail for every inch, fleeing from traps that come without warning, just to get that new piece of equipment or item you need. There's no safety in menus, and even other players will be out for your blood!

In short, Demon's Souls is a game with a sick, twisted sense of humor but an oddly rewarding and challenging title. It requires a certain penchant for masochism and the bravery for a true challenge in today's easy win RPG environment. Tired of games like Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, and Valkyria Chronicles? Demon's Souls is just what you need, friend!

What's this game all about

Demon's Souls has a fairly simple story, much like its older brother King's Field. It takes place in the fictional European-inspired kingdom of Boletaria, where a corrupt King summons the Devil and uses unholy powers to bring unrivaled prosperity to his lands. Only to fall victim to his own vices and traps and abuse his power to cause great destruction, causing a great fog to cover the country and summon countless demons to devour the innocent. This is where you come in! You are a lone adventurer who quests into the depths of Boletaria to put a stop to the fog and bring peace to the land, not even death itself can stop your pursuit!

You read that right! There's no childhood friend who happens to be a girl you're in love with who gets kidnapped. There's no heavy-handed racism subplot that makes you want to groan. No childish mascot characters that appear in every cutscene, or an evil church that controls the world, and no you're not a "chosen one" who was picked to save the world. You are simply a person who ventures forth into the land that no man has ever returned from alive.

How does it play?

Demon's Souls plays from a third-person perspective, and acts like the unholy love child of King's Field and Monster Hunter. Your character is one you can name and design yourself! The game offers a robust facial creation system that allows players to customize their lowly adventurer. Players can equip all sorts of armor, weapons, and accessories and utilize a varied array of magic attacks known as Spells and Miracles. All of your actions have a weight to them, and the environment must be taken into account at all times. That cool sword you got may be strong, but how will it fare in a tiny corridor?

Survival is dependant on your ability to always be aware of your surroundings and quickly adapt to change in it and the enemies that you meet. Each new beast provides a new challenge in how to properly face and destroy it in battle, and each new area is a host to remarkable deadly traps and towering bosses. Demon's Souls demands a lot from its players but the reward will undoubtedly be worth it, so keep striving!

Aside the typical Health and Magic Points system found in every other Role Playing Game, Demon's Souls utilizes a Stamina system reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls franchise. All your actions take a certain number of Stamina points to perform but your bar is always refilling! You must take your Stamina into account when adventuring, is it wiser to go for a barrage of sword swinging to defeat your foe or should you wait for the parry? Do you stand your ground and fight the gigantic spider, or flee at top speed so it doesn't swallow you whole?

It also provides a wide variety of classes for you to choose from! Demon's Souls allows players to choose a "starting class" that suits their desired playstyle. Are you the type who loves to get up in a monster's grill and rip their guts out? Be a Knight! Do you like casting magic missile? Then Magician is right up your alley! Love the sensation of driving your knife into someone's unsuspecting back? Try a Thief! There are numerous job opportunities, each with their own natural advantages and special starting equipment. Your job doesn't totally limit your playstyle though, you can later improve your statistics and branch out into other jobs! Need a magic spell but you're a claymore-wielding knight? Go level up and learn it!

The entire game is based around deep, complex dungeons that take ages to fully explore. Your only refuge from the monsters is the "Nexus" which is the hub or "town" of Demon's Souls. Here you can talk to the locals, level up, learn new magic spells, repair or buy new items and equipment, and store your unwanted junk. Don't think though you've got it all down, New Game+ provides even more to see at the Nexus!

Did I mention this game has New Game+? That's right! Demon's Souls has tapped into the desire to carry on our legacy by allowing the player to carry over their character into a new game once they beat it! Don't think thought that you'll be right into pulverizing the enemies like you were earlier though, the game's difficulty ramps up every time you beat it!

Can I play it with other people?

You bet! Demon's Souls offers a trio of special multiplayer options for you to choose from! You'll never be lonely in Boletaria, not when you've got the souls of your dead PSN friends to come with you as you venture out to kill the giant Manta Ray!

Co-Operative
Players can utilize a special item called the "Blue Eye Stone" to set a marker on the ground that acts as a gateway to a multiplayer Co-Operative game! There's no lobby or matchmaking system, the offline game is your lobby! Other players online can see your marker and invite you into their world, and soon enough you and two other adventurers will be on your way to questing!

All three players can recieve Souls for their hard work, and they can team up to take out the Boss Demons with better efficiency! As your game together ends, players can grade the host adventure on a scale from D to S and this grade carries with the Host so other players know how good or bad a player they are.

It should be noted though that players can only play with other characters that are within 10 levels of their current level. So a Level 80 cannot play with a Level 20.

Competitive
What's that you say? You don't want to play nice?! Demon's Souls has got you covered! With the use of the "Black Eye Stone," players with evil intent can literally force themselves into another player's world! Taking the role of the "Black Phantom," the player must hunt out and kill the invaded player to recieve a special Souls bonus! However, if the invading Phantom is killed then you lose all your Souls and he gets a big reward for killing you.

There is even an instance where a player can take the roll of a Boss Demon! Imagine playing your game only to find that your next Boss is actually a bloodthirsty Japanese guy! However, the "10 level" rule is in effect so you won't be steamrolling Level 1 newbies with your Level 100 awesome knight.

Educational
Huh? "Educational?" Don't worry, this isn't a codeword for "scripted tutorial!" Demon's Souls offers a special method of communicating with other players in other worlds, to help (or decieve) other players about events that may be coming up in the near future! By utilizing a wide selection of stock messages and phrases, players use a bizarre Twitter-esque system of leaving messages on the floor for others to read. These messages can be read by anyone, and can even be graded on their usefulness! Players who leave helpful messages are rewarded with a full health restore!

... Of course, you could also use it to grief other players and trick them into killing themselves! Try leaving a "Jump here for a reward!" message at the edge of a cliff and see what hapless idiot tries it!

When does it come out?! Where can I buy it?!

A long time ago, goony goons such as myself were totally brave and hardcore and had no idea if this game was even going to be in English when it first came out in Asia. So we foolishly threw $80 at sketchy Asian online retailers and it was fortunate that it turned out to BE in English! Later on, regular people learned how cool this game was and Atlus released a version in America that they did a spell check on.

You can buy Demon's Souls as a Greatest Hit in North America for $29.99 now. There is also an out-of-print Deluxe Edition that comes with a wuss strategy guide. Europeans can buy the game too! Game.co.uk informs me that the game is £34.99.

I'm a big nerd who lives off review scores!

Demon's Souls has recieved star-studded reviews since its launch in January 2009, here listed are just some of the critical acclaim that the game has recieved since its release.

The Reviews posted:

Famitsu: 9 / 7 / 7 / 6
Dengeki: 95 / 85 / 85 / 85
Eurogamer: 9 / 10
RPGFan: 84%
GameSpot: 9.0

Every review for this game has said the same things, this game is super hard but rewarding as all hell! Don't let the tales of the difficulty put you off though, stand tall and face danger head on in life-threatening combat! Even the notorious Eurogamer stood and took notice of this game, with flying colours!

I don't want to play this game online without Goonygoons!

Never fear, goon sire! Plenty of Goons have come forth in the name of Demon's Souls and ventured forth into Boletaria! You can find a full list here at the PS3 Goons Database, why not jump into that suit of armor and join us today?

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Demon's Souls Flowchart! Made by Brightman.

Yeah, this pretty much defines the beginning of your Demon's Souls experience to a tee.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 25, 2009

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I stopped following the thread as much when a bunch of games came out, and I might pick this up later but what are the impressions so far? Is melee combat in the end more complex, like some people were hinting at or is it mashing? How do the different classes play?

I think the melee combat is definitely far from button mashing. There's a lot that goes into proper timing, movement, and positioning that makes combat a lot more rewarding, there are still times when things die to mashing R1 (like the enemies in the first stage) but as you get further in you'll start having to form strategies. It's pretty sweet, having to come up with methods to fight each enemy.

All the classes seem to have their own quirks, I took to Knight and that means that I get right up in people's faces with my awesome sword and shield to bust their heads. There are other classes that really fly though, just darting around rolling and getting backstabs or nuking enemies with giant fireballs. I'm sure some of the Thieves/Nobles/other non-Knight weaklings from the old thread can follow this up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Heh, just made BP Scirvir my bitch :c00lbert:

After reading how hard he supposedly was, I decided to go All Black in 2-1 then did the whole Primeval Demon into BP Scirvir deal and took him on. With my enchanted Blueblood Sword and my +5 Adjucator's Shield I just wrecked him, no time for him to even do his Miracles.

...Of course, I'll neglect to mention that his Fireball nuked me to roughly 8 HP (out of 75% of 1001 HP) and made me panic like a little girl. But s'all good 'cuz I got my Talisman of Beasts. God drat do I want that spell now. I'd love to go online with doubled magic power and stand in corridors waiting for the Tower Shield / Meat Cleaver assholes with it. Seriously, gently caress that combination :argh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, so where is Selen Vinland supposed to be when 5-2 is fully Black?

I just killed the Primeval Demon of 5-2 and got my Colorless Demon's Soul for it, but I can't find BP Selen. I need to kill her in order to get Blind for the Soldier's Trophy (1 of 6 Uniques left to get) but I'm not finding her at this supposed "island right after the Fog Door"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Drakkarim posted:

If they appear in the same spot they do when pure white, it's just past the first fog door in 5-2. If you look to the right, you should see a candle on the island she is on as well as an item if you haven't picked it up yet.

I tried doing the pure white version where she is supposed to give you a quest involving Garl Vinland but it didn't seem to work. I talked to her, then fought Garl and Astraea but didn't get Brand or the Crest.

I think you can only do the Selen side-quest after you defeat Astraea.

Thank you though, I found out that I was like 0.5 from pure Black and died one more time to get there. I gotta say, trying to get to Selen is harder than fighting her! Every route is blocked by Black Phantom big Trolls! It's a total nightmare!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, can someone tell me where the Rune Sword is in 3-2? I can't go and kill the Black Phantom Ostrava because I'm at the very end of the game and he doesn't show up anymore because of it (that and I don't want to spend like 6 hours getting the Tendancy to Black in World 1)

The wiki says "side of the Boss' tower" but I have no clue where that is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Drakkarim posted:

I was worried he might be gone since I killed him before Astraea, but he showed up. And apparently he's one of the very few things in the Valley that can be plagued. His full heal spell only restored about 1/8th of his life while infected and he kept trying to cast it when his health was almost out.

Edit: Baby's Nail is proving to be invaluable. Selen can get infected and will spend the rest of the fight rolling away and trying to cast cure instead of attacking. Once she's been rolled into a corner she can't escape from the fight becomes trivial. Also, gently caress BP Giant Trolls. gently caress them right in the rear end.

Oh wow, and here I thought that Selen was only a complete idiot in my game. I didn't have the luxury of using Plague (Hardcore Blueblood fo' lyfe :c00lbert:) so I had to straight up just slash her to death. Only she just rolled back into a corner and I practically just stabbed her over and over in the middle of her Miracle animation.

BP Giant Trolls are utter nightmares, the only good thing about them is that they drop Stones of Ephemeral Eyes when killed (so it's actually kinda worth it to keep World 5 in Black if you're working on other areas to Black)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nuitari posted:

So what's the standard non-heavy weapon(s) people are using?

I'm halfway through NG+, and most of the time I've been using a Dragon Sword +6 or so (does about equal damage in both physical and fire). I grabbed some new swords in the last few hours (Makoto, Meat Cleaver, Sword of Searching), and am curious as to what other non-heavy armor wearing characters tend to use. Probably leaning towards Sword of Searching at this point, for the obvious perk it has.

Also what are you mostly melee characters doing with your stats once your hitting the higher lvls (100+)? I've been dividing mostly between Vitality and Endurance at this point. HP and Load, and then Stamina and resistances.

I recently reached 100 and I've been putting my Soul Levels into Vitality and Endurance mainly for the fact that I did the "All Stats 20" build and finally started diversifying as a Knight. Since I'm using the Blueblood Sword I'm also pumping Luck up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

What the hell? Has anyone else noticed that apparently some of the NPC Merchants sell different things according to World Tendancy?

Awhile back when I had my Tendancy in Valley of Defilement to Pure Black, the Filthy Woman sold Stones of Ephemeral Eyes (like Patches did) for the tune of 50k souls a pop. I didn't buy any at the time and did my usual Selen/Primeval Demon stuff then decided to save up 150k souls to buy another 3 of them to do the same to Shrine of Storms. Only to go and save up all those souls and visit her to find that at Neutral Tendancy she doesn't sell any! What the hell?!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She only has 3 total for sale.

But I didn't even buy any from her the first time, I just noticed she had them for sale but then when I went back to buy some she didn't sell them anymore.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh god damnit, getting your connection dropped somehow resets your Tendency! I was farming Chunk of Cloudstone in 4-4 when I finally got my 6th Chunk of it for my +3 Fire Shield and I got dropped, so I reloaded and came back to the Nexus with my World 4 tendancy in Neutral after having been Pure Black! Damnit!

I was all well and good though, until I saw that +5 required two Pure Cloudstones! Damnit!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

Should I be worrying about world/character tendency while going through the game? Or is it possible to go back and get tendency specific things later on?

I'd say keep an eye on it and remember a few of the tendancy-exclusive things in each World, but don't actually worry about it. Most of the tendancy things are stuff that you'd probably only want to mess around with after you've gotten very familiar and far in the game, you can definitely go back and get them later but it might be harder (due to the new difficulty of White Tendancy)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

When you upgrade the Adjudicator Shield like that, does the physical defense stat increase from 90 to 100? I'd like to start using the thing to take advantage of the HP regen, but I spend so much time blocking I'm loathe to go back to a shield that's going to let some physical damage through every time I block.

Sorry, Adjucator's Shield's improvements don't increase the Defensive capabilities of it. All they do is make it give more HP in its regen. If you have a +5 version of it with a Regenerator's Ring, you're regaining 12 HP a second

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

Hmmm. Do you find that offsets the 10% of physical damage that gets through when you block? I guess I should try it out, but I feel like I spend so much time hunkered down behind a shield, the 10% of damage is going to equal or exceed the HP regen. Eh -- one more thing to experiment with tonight.

It usually does, having +12 HP a second is a really amazing thing for certain fights. In PvP you practically have a permanent advantage because of the usual "dancing" people end up doing in fights and in most bosses your downtime equals to regeneration.

It's pretty useless in some instances, like it won't really be much help if you go to 4-4 and get swarmed by Manta Rays, but it has its uses.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Scraping Spear apparently does some extreme damage to enemy armor and weapon. In a PvP battle, I took a few hits from someone who had it and suddenly all my armor broke at once (costing me over 15k Souls to fix)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Thanks to all who replied.

The only games I'm really interested in are Demon's Souls (of course), MGS, Valkyria chronicles, and maybe uncharted.

Shalinor's list of melee weapons has sealed the deal- for the game at least. I really love it when games go out of their way to provide you with a variety of weapons to choose from. Especially Axes, I loving love axes. And Flails. ((though the latter is absent in this game, probably because they would be a bitch to program))

I don't know, I'm still not sure if it would be worth it to get a PS3 for this game, and maybe MGS4. $500 is a bit too much for one game.

What are the odds of the game going up in price in a year or so? How soon do you guys think the PS3 will drop in price? I'm debating as to whether or not I should buy a PS3 and the game right now, buy the game right now and wait for a drop in price, or just wait altogether.

I will end up with a copy of this game and a PS3, be it in 2 weeks or 2 years.

The game probably won't go up in price but it probably won't get any cheaper either. It's looking like it'll wind up like Valkyria Chronicles where it'll remain at launch price forever.

There's a lot of rumbling that Sony may announce a Price Drop for the PS3 as soon as tomorrow, they've done their traditional "THERE IS NO PRICE DROP THAT WOULD BE GOOD :argh:" damage control which they always do and it would sort of make sense at this point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

One last thing i'm curious about- If I get the asian/korean version, will the text be in English? Will there be an option for the text to be in english? I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of foreign characters to equip a poleaxe. This may or may not be a dealbreaker.

Thanks!

The Asian (and as far as I understand Korean) version features full English text support, it detects your PS3 is in English and switches the language to English just for you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dizzybone posted:

What's even more of a downer is that you didn't even have to attack her. Once you've killed her bodyguard, you can walk up and speak to her, and she says a few things to make you feel like poo poo and then kills herself. That's where I am in the game now :(

Yeah, I have to admit that fight was pretty much the only one that really made me stop and think.

I mean, Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland are both just chilling out in the Valley of Defilement with all those plague fetus things in the river of blood surrounded by worshippers (who are murdered if they fall in the river) and are pretty happy. Then you just bust in and get told off for plundering and when you finally win, she basically reminded you of what a dick you are. Until that point in the game, every single enemy boss you fought was just either a gigantic untalking monster or an insane person. Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland are perfectly normal "demons" who apparently are doing nothing wrong that you gently caress up solely for their Souls

Oh, and if you're a sword user than don't bother with those spells. Get yourself the Blueblood Sword stat! The most powerful straight sword in the game, innate hide ability and the only weapon to get an attack boost from luck. Plus it looks bitchin' with the Dark Silver Armor set :c00lbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: for anyone that remembers back pre-release, can you please tell us how the hell that one guy managed to get through the game despite never upgrading / dying constantly / sucking miserably? I can't imagine how someone like that would ever beat this game, it seems like he'd just die over and over again once he hit 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, etc.

esegk? He constantly was using up Crescent Moon herbs, like, so much that you could almost call it a manual HP Regeneration. He brunt forced it, just like how he brunt forced Yakuza 3 and White Knight Chronicles (the Yakuza 3 stream was loving hilarious. He didn't know how to use any Heat moves)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

:siren: Maintenance Alert :siren:

Demon's Souls Online is going down tomorrow at "12:00 to 14:00" for Server Maintenance. There probably won't be any game-side related repairs but this is just a heads up

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

God drat, I am just terrible at PvP unless it's the 3-3 Old Monk battle where I can cheap out victories. Does anyone have any general advice they could give? Fuzz, I'm looking at you.

I'm mainly just trying to get to Black Character Tendancy so I can get the Mephistopheles Quest Line and kill Yuria so I can get the Foe's Ring (one of 3 rings I need to get the Trophy) but any attempt I make to play PvP in a wild setting end terribly. It's either "Die from the dragon", "enemy summons 2 other phantoms", "enemy somehow can use that Firestorm spell 5 times in a row" or "Holy gently caress that North Regalia killed me in one hit." In the past 10 attempts I only won once, and that was to a Fluted Armor wearing Knight who had a Dozer Axe and rolled around aimlessly.

I'm wearing Dark Silver Helm and Armor with Gloom Greaves and Gloves. Using Blueblood Sword, Kris Knife, defending with a +5 Adjucator's Shield and casting with a Talisman of Beasts. Soul level 114 with everything above 20 (focuses on Vit, Endur, and Luck)

What should I be doing? I'm about 4 Equip points from being able to equip a Ring of Great Strength and doing Noble-esque rolls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So, uh, about Mephistopheles, is it possible to skip past the currently offered "objective?"

I only really want the Foe's Ring, which is obtained by killing Yuria, but I really don't want to do the mission she's offering to kill Saint Urbain and his followers. Is it possible to skip it somehow and go onto the next one or do I have to kill Saint Urbain (then probably Freke next right?)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tortolia posted:

If there's a way to skip down the list then I don't know how to trigger it.

Here's what I'd do to get the Foe Ring with minimal impact on your game. Leave Meph alone in the Nexus until you've completed everything but 1-4, and complete that as much as possible (kill the Blue Dragon if you're planning on doing that). Set your Miracles/Magic as you want them for the 1-4 boss and for 1-1 on the next cycle (don't really need to set anything special for 1-1 as it's simple, but if you're decent with magic might as well give yourself some sort of fire spell for easy Phalanx roasting). Do the assassinations all in a row, just kill, get reward, kill, get reward. Once Yuria's dead you'll get the Foe Ring, then Meph will attack. She's easily dispatched.

Now that you've got the Ring, just hop back into 1-4, finish the level, then you can finish the game. After you complete 1-1 on the next cycle then Freke and Urbain's apprentices will be back in the Nexus and you can change your magic/miracles around as you see fit and just proceed.

Note if you wait until you've done 1-3 to start doing Meph's assassinations then you're going to miss out on the Ostrava kill/Talisman of Beasts reward, so you'll have to go take out Black Phantom Scirvir in 2-2 to get one of those.

Thanks, I was right at the end of the game just mopping things up so I pretty much used Mephistopheles as a motivator to finally finish the game. Uh... That's some final boss.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, I've got a question about Crystal Geckos in relation to the Wiki.

It mentions that if you miss out on a Crystal Gecko, you can "load the game" and regain the 1 instance of its appearance for another try (presumably indefinitely) but I have no idea what this means. Does this mean "immediately turn off your PS3 and turn it back on" or something? I just don't want to miss out on Pure Moonlightstone again

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Raglay posted:

That's exactly what it means. It's possible to burn through all your gecko spawns and then never be able to get them back until you beat the game and start over. If you kill a gecko and it doesn't drop what you want, immediately quit out of the game and reload. It takes awhile and it sucks, but it's your best bet at getting what you want.

So, just to make sure, I hit the PS Button and Quit Game from the XMB right? Without hitting X to confirm the item pick up? I'm just trying to get this down pat before I start hunting Crystal Geckos in 3-2 again

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

tazman posted:

Doesn't the graverobber ring/subdue soul spell protect you FROM black phantoms? Not the other way around?

I think it's one of those "bizarro" translation deals, like with the dropped Soul items that say you'll become a Soul. It works both ways.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

e: I figured it out, I just suck rear end at gauging distances.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 7, 2009

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

It makes me wonder though, if you invade 5-2 can you freely move through the muck like all the enemies? Level 5 is the only one I've never had someone try and break in, which is odd because it is one of the easiest ones to die in.

5-2 is just a deathtrap for whomever decides to play in it, whether it be Black Phantom or living people.

I'm fairly sure that you move at the same pace in the purple muck as a B. Phantom that you do as you're living, and you're still subject to the Poison that it can (and will) inflict. Not to mention that the entire area is way too dark, has way too many high places to fall off and die, you get lost way too easily if you're not familiar with the surroundings, and it's simply too loving big.

Think about the space you have to cover in 5-2, you've got the little entry way and the cliffside path along with the shanty town. Then you've got the absolutely humongous swamp that takes forever to go through and has inumerable places to hide in. Imagine hunting for someone who's standing in a corner using Subdue Soul, Thief Ring, Graverobber's Ring, and a Blueblood Sword? You'd be hunting forever!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Also, for the monk's headpiece, when you earn it is it on the ground after you return to your game or do you automatically get it after the kill (if you get the drop)?

I don't know why it is, but the only time I got the Old Monk's Headpiece was after I won the battle when the opponent died en route to the top. Yeah, any time the enemy died from the BP Mind Flayers I would get it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

gently caress Maiden Astraea. Seriously, gently caress that weak little bitch.

It's not that she's a hard boss or anything, I'm pissed off at the fact that her Soul is linked to four different things! Jesus, it requires you to beat the game four times to get all of her stuff! The Blueblood Sword, Ressurection, Death Cloud, and Relief are all awarded from her Blueblood Soul. Why the gently caress couldn't some of these be linked to the Demons who have only one purpose? Like Penetrator or Tower Knight?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Yeah but Death Cloud and Relief both suck, so they don't matter. I find it more interesting that Yuria gives you Relief while Freke gives you Death Cloud. The designers are clearly confused by certain things.

VVVV- Neat, never saw that. I really need to just beat the game and get to NG+.

Well, my issue is that I'm going for Platinum and I'm sort of required to get all the rings/weapons/magics/miracles to do so. It's very amusing, I need 2 weapons, 1 ring, 1 miracle, and 7 magic spells to get all those Gold Trophies. It's just infuriating, they should have balanced Soul rewards better.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, so how can I reset my World Tendancy again? It seems I died when doing 3-1 by slipping, I haven't gone back to the Nexus yet fortunately so the change hasn't been set in stone.

I remember something like this happening when I got disconnected then re-connected to the PSN, does that work? Because I desperately need to get Tower of Latria to Pure White so I can finally free Rydell and then later to Full Black so I can kill his Black Phantom.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dear god, I hate whoever designed the drop rate for Pure Bladestone. I've been at this for two hours, sneaking up behind the BP Dual-Katana Black Skeleton in 4-2 trying to get it and the best I've ever done is a single Chunk of Bladestone. Just about every other Pure can be gotten from a Crystal Gecko, Treasure Drop, or Boss Victory but Bladestone? gently caress you, fight this skeleton for 2 hours.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

wurzle posted:

3-1 question:

I'm looking for the Jailer's key at the end of the crossbow hallway. Is it on the wall somewhere like the other keys in 3-1? I've died 4 times darting out onto the hall to check corpses because I can't see the drat thing.

I checked the map on the wiki and the dot doesn't seem to correspond to anything in game... or I might just be blind.

It's right at the very start of the pathway with the crossbow machine, just so far out enough that you can reach it without actually going into the pathway.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

Hold X and the emote menu comes up, make your choice then release the button to shrug or bow or whatever.

You can also hold X and quickly move the controller in a certain way to activate an emote, all I remember is that "Bow" is hold X and move the controller left (for duels) and that "Huzzah!" is hold X and move it right (which I do whenever I get a Trophy)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fuzz posted:

You mean tilt it to the right? I always wondered what the hell the directions were for on the emotes, no wonder so many other people can bust them out so quickly.

Well, I always just hold X and immediately move my controller to the right. Not tilt, just take the controller horizontally then move it quickly right and I end up doing "Huzzah!" or whatever. I still have no clue what commands like "Right-Forward" mean but generally you get one out for moving the controller up, down, forward, back, left, or right.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Thanks, I ended up doing this :). How do you kill the Blue Dragon in 1-4? I shot a boatload of arrows into him when I first saw him, got him down about halfway, and then he flew off to another part of the castle. I tried to shoot him over there, but I can't see his health bar when I hit him so I don't even know if he's taking damage or not. I honestly don't even know how to get past him.

You can only kill Blue Dragon at that giant stairway, what I just did was run up the stairs right to the landing at the top in between firebreaths and then begun firing those Rotten Arrows at him. If you lock on and fire away, you'll be able to start hurting him, but I was totally unable to see his health bar unless I de-locked and got so far away I could almost get toasted by his fire.

You might wanna get some Total Protection in gear along with as little weight as you can to run at max speed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

YamataNoOrochi posted:

I get fried every time I try to run up the stairs, is there any cue as to when it is safe to make it, or a specific path I am missing?

I didn't even know there was more than one specific path! I just casted Total Protection and guessed the right timing as I dashed up! From what I recall, there's a certain time gap between when the Dragon fires again and a certain range this breath. It has a sort of cone effect so you can eventually run under it, you should try to get as close as you can (remember that from your perspective, he sprays from right to left) and run just after he finishes spraying on the right.

If you're not weighed down, you should be okay. Just sprint for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Awesome Andrew posted:

So I'm on my third playthrough and I've never ran into a Primevil BP. Who/what/when/where/how are they? I'm one soul away from Keel Smasher +5!

Primeval Demons are only visible when you've gotten a stage to Pure Black Tendancy. They appear in a specific place and take a few hits to kill, they offer zero resistance and drop Colorless Demon's Souls.

The only ones with locations I recall off the top of my head are in World 2 in the first section where it's located at the bottom of the pulley-elevator in the first big building with the stone throwers, and in World 5 in the second section at the far end of a tunnel you access by turning left just before a fog door blocked by a Shaman Troll and 2 Big Trolls

• Locked thread