Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Have you tried leaving the area then going back? I know that resets them in the Nexus if you accidentally hit them or roll into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I build my character with a focus on magic. For ever two points in Magic, I put two points into something else. Usually Willpower, Vitality and Endurance. Though, I think I'm going to go on a Strength and Dexterity bender so I don't have to worry about them any more. Probably raise them to the level that is required to wield the White bow then don't worry about them any more for a while.

This works well if you plan on wielding Crescent weaponry.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy Jesus, New Game+ is tough. Farming souls in 4-1 is goddamn insanely hard without your thief ring. If you don't have it on those loving archers see you from a hundred million miles away, hit you for a hundred million damage. I'm surprised they don't brick your system if they kill you too.

You can't screw up there or else you're dead. In fact, you can't screw up in New Game+ period or else 95% of your health is gone in one hit. My advice? Stay in your original game forever. New Game+ is full of cheap bullshit. If you want to venture into New Game+, be Soul level infinity, maybe then you can survive more than two hits. Maybe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Scraping is like old Acid Fog, but in spear form. It will destroy whatever gear the target is wearing. It's really, really dickheaded to use in PVP, but then again, once you get up past level 70ish, it seems all the Japanese players become complete dickheads and use whatever bullshit gimmicks possible to win, particularly if it'll make you die an accidental death and thus lose Soul Levels.

Seriously... it was a very pronounced line in SL that, once I crossed, suddenly I had entered the realm of dickhead Japanese players, and it sucks. Has really killed a lot of the PVP jive I had going on before.

Is that with or without doing the Thief and Graverobber ring combo? I don't PvP much at all (I don't invade, but I do get invaded when in physical form) and I haven't had any problems getting the jump on people with those ring combos.

I think I should upgrade the secret dagger with the Pulpstone and use that on fool black phantoms who invade my game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is that his level of skill or did he make the video to show that it was possible to button mash your way to victory?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still stand by my idea that the Stormbringer should be upgradeable to the point where your "Heavy Attack" shoots that shockwave blast in any area in the game. That's the coolest thing you can do in the game!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

pretend to care posted:

Did anyone else find Maneater comically easy? I was at SL50 and I absolutely butt raped him with two-handing the Crescent Falcion +4 with the thief ring equipped.

Indeed he was. The only problem I had was falling to my death on that stupidly narrow walkway. I mainly blame the lovely-rear end lock-on system. You try so hard to get a lock on that you forget where you stand and you dodge out of the way only to fall off the ledge.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow-wee, past the regular hump, farming souls in 5-2 is goddamn crazy easy. With 42 Magic, Insanity Catalyst and the Kris Knife +2, poo poo dies fast. Just need to blow up one see-through dude so he won't attack me, then I bow death to... death then hit that crazy black katana skeleton with three flamethrowers.

Easiest 24k souls ever. Takes about two minutes tops. The downside is that it costs me 62k souls to upgrade a stat now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's a good way to counter the Moving Soul Arrows? I had some Black Phantom tool just spam that poo poo over and over again and I couldn't get close to him. Well, I could have but the fuckface was using Acid Cloud, so I couldn't go near him. I was having lag issues again as my Soul Lights were passing right through him. Though one hit and it took 85% of the chump's health away, but he ran away and disappeared as I was giving chase (not sure how, though).

I need to start writing these dicks' who uses acid cloud and junk names down. That way if they invade, I can just use my white stone and boot them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh, they're set to a range limit? I see.

I wouldn't have had a problem, but if it wasn't the lag, the guy was doing clean dodges of my spells, so that spell was stopping me from getting close. The guy was literally chain-casting that spell. It'd shoot off, and while I was dodging he'd cast another.

I wish there was a Protection Spell - like Total Protection - but for magic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Under the Demon's Souls section in the wiki, at the very bottom there's a Beast's Demon's Soul. How do you get that one? Is it from the bad ending?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If that happens, how will you be able to cast resurrect on them?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, the Uchigatana stinks. Has to be the slowest one-handed swords around. If you want to upgrade it with the Darkmoonstone, I highly recommend you don't. Go with the Kilij, all of its attacks are quicker (basically the same as the Falchion, but a bit stronger).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

Male characters kind of get the shaft when it comes to gender limited items, the female only ones seem to be a much better choice. The Silver Bracelet in particular.

Some of the female specific armor looks like poo poo. Stat-wise, though, it's pretty decent stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd contest the control stuff to an extent. They work, but I will stand by my opinion that the lock-on system is horrible. Nothing's more loving frustrating than to try to lock on to something only to lock on to something else way behind it or elsewhere. Or figuring out which direction the camera has to be in order to get a lock on.

It's very sporadic. In 5-1, you run up the stairs, past the trap in the first keep thing and the archer that shoots at you when you take that pathway down. If you try to lock on to that archer and there's a manta around on your screen, you will lock on to that instead. Yet, I cannot lock on to that black skeleton past the secret passage in 5-2 from the same distance and my camera is pointing right at him.

I also think the camera is a bit crap at times too. Lock on to the Flamelurker and dodging around him. Get to close to the sides and those bones and pillars will block your view half the time. I really wish they'd hollow out (you know, like in every other game) if you step in front of them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

How do you get the sword that's encased in rubble at the top of the 2-3 boss fight (Dragon God)?

Pure White world Tendency.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pure Darkmoonstone must have a drop rate of something that'd put the rates on a Korean MMO to shame. On New Game+, poo poo gets real and it's extremely tough to survive in 4-2 due to the angles you can see Death and those respawning Geth.

It's not even to get a Trophy, that's a by-product. I want a +5 Crescent Kilij.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cam gameplay 1 from gametrailers
Cam gameplay 2 from gametrailers

Points for the person who points out something new, visual-wise, in that gameplay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's something, but the new little thing is projected on the ground and this wasn't in the other versions of the game!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Entire review: This game people told me was hard turned out to be hard and I'm not willing to put time into learning how to play it. gently caress THIS GAME!

I'm not sure which is worse - that being his attitude or the people who base their purchases off of Yahtzee reviews (like many of the comments are).

Was a funny review, though. But Yahtzee never seemed to have played a game that had a dodge button in it before or has any notion of momentum or played a 8-way movement fighting game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Well, form the review it seemed clear he never leveled up and if he missed that it's likely he also missed getting the stones that let you invade and team up.
I'm almost glad he never got to the swamp, which is the part of the game that makes me have to qualify it when I say "the game isn't unfair".

Hey now, every game has some form of the water temple. It's one of those things that developers have to get surgically removed from their minds - much like wisdom teeth.

When that happens, then True Game Design starts now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, yeah, when he started talking about the passage under the bridge, I immediately thought "dogs" and a few seconds later he started cursing them.

I never had that problem. But I chose to be a Wizard, so I shot them to death with my magic. You silly barbarians and your physical combat. Pfaw!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Even though it is somewhat old and I'm rather behind the ball concerning it; the Extra Punctuation stuff goes into better detail as to why Yahtzee didn't like Demon's Souls than his Zero Punctuation review.

Personally, I can see where he is coming from because I felt the exact same way he feels (from typing that) during the first two or so levels of the game. I got pretty pissed off because I had to trek through the level again with all the monsters respawned. But I eventually got used to it and it encouraged better and more careful play on my part.

Still, I think the article simple re-enforces the idea that he only played the game for a couple of hours then quit out of frustration then wrote his review based on that.

Edit: Then again, the guy didn't like Uncharted 2 for some stupid reasons in his Extra Punctuations. So I'm pretty much convinced the guy doesn't like anything.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How are the large swords when you use them with a shield? I started playing again recently and thought about giving them a shot.

• Locked thread