Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Oh thank god, I didn't know this thread was still active. This is harsh (Evaluate me!)

In DaS, upping stats works to a point - then there is diminishing returns, is this the same in Demon's Souls? in DaS it happens around 40 points, I think. Or can I just keep dropping levels into vitality forever?

For a high strength character, are crushing weapons worth it compared to say, a +8 or 9 regular weapon?

This game is so much more unforgiving than Dark Souls, it's ridiculous. I spent a good portion of yesterday trying to beat the flamelurker. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Yes, the stat scaling is relatively the same as in Dark Souls, around 40 is when the diminishing returns kick in real hard.

Crushing and sharp weapons are the best for strength and dex builds respectively. You generally only want to upgrade a weapon regularly to get it to the point where you can take it down a more specialized upgrade path. They're not good on their own like in DaS.

Thank you very much. DeS didn't seem to pick up nearly the audience that Dark Souls did, and info seems a little sparse. Even the respective wiki feels a lot more bare bones compared to it's younger brother, and simple stuff like this even seems kind of tough to come by.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dragon Weapons are fairly strong but not as good as dex or strength specialized weapons once you hit NG+.

Flamelurker is the best boss in any videogame ever. I'm happy every time I get to fight him.

You just wait until you meet Maneater (don't look him up please, trust me on that).

Other DaS -> DeS factoids: Luck is useless don't buy it. Magic is too strong and will spoil your game. A big shield can fix a lot more than it did in DaS, but rolling is even stronger -- sacrifice your quick roll for nothing. Armor is basically just for decoration -- just wear the black leather all the time as it doesn't reduce your stamina regen (there are a few other sets that don't as well, but Black Leather is the lightest of the them, easy to get, and offers good poison resistance which is a bonus for a couple areas in the game). Crystal Lizards are very important to upgrading your weapons now instead of just an occasional bonus and they don't respawn if they get away (each lizard has one life + one life for each boss you've killed in its zone, for a usual total of four lives). Farm souls in 4-1 (skeleton circuit) and later 4-2 (kill the first reaper over and over). On your first guy just do what you can with upgrades and enjoy but for your second guy Google "Stockpile Thomas dupe" and give yourself a break from stone farming. If you find some dead people in the Nexus you better look around there very thoroughly and find out what's going on (check the mezzanine). Always wear the Thief Ring. If you're in soul form almost always wear the Cling Ring too. If blocking doesn't fix it rolling will. Bring a lovely bow -- even if you can't use it well the 1hp arrows can be used to pull jerks out of the crowd toward you. World 5 is horseshit but the ending is fantastic.

Oh wow, thanks. I've already spoiled some stuff for myself, if accidentally, but I appreciate all the help. I'll have to take a look to see how much greystone shards/chunks I have tomorrow. I did the hard stone/sharp stone upgrade path for my sword/ spear, but I'll look into fixing that. looks like I'll have to get better at rolling, as well.

As far as not looking stuff up I usually try two or three times without looking up any weaknesses on the wiki, but after that I feel no shame, because I'm an adult and I don't have seven hours to blow trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong. Although that didn't work on the last boss of Dark Souls. I suck at parrying, and alternate strats took me a long time to figure out and implement. This game also seems to necessitate a great deal more grinding, which Dark Souls largely fixed. Do you really need 14 different upgrade paths, each with their own separate upgrade materials? No, not really.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think flamelurker's the best?

As far as magic being OP, I wasn't aware that was the prevailing thought of the community. It was the only way I beat flamelurker. I would melee him down to when he got super aggressive, then he would just slam me repeatedly until my stamina was out. I found myself dying constantly when he was ~30% health because if I ever tried to get a strike in the stamina it cost me meant I couldn't block, which meant I was eating a claw then a fire blast then a claw and gently caress I have to start over AGAIN. So I finally caved and learned soul arrow. That wasn't good enough so I beat 3-1 and saved freke and learned soul ray.

I made it through the entirety of Dark Souls without touching magic, because it did seem OP to me in that game (I watched a few speed runs where it's basically the world's nakedest wizard competition), and I really like the feel of combat in Dark Souls once you get the hang of it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Dark Souls 2 - best gameplay
Dark Souls - best story
Demon's Souls - best atmosphere/world

imo

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Oh god, just dupe the materials. The resource farming in DeS is brutal. Each Crystal Lizard has a set number of 'lives'. Unlike Dark souls, if the Lizard escapes this also counts as a 'life'. In Dark souls, the Lizards can be resurrected by the Bonfire until you successfully murder them. In Demon's if the little critter gets away from you, that's it, you lost a chance to get whatever drop he had. You can try again, as the Lizards will respawn for as many bosses as you've beaten in that world, but say you just can't figure out how to get one and it gets away the fifth time, all those materials are lost to you for that play through. It's incredibly punishing.

If you really feel bad about it, do a little research and just dupe the materials that you can buy or something. Even getting those is a pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread