Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started playing Demon's Souls on my brother's PS3 after finishing both Dark Souls on PC, and everything was great until Stonefang Tunnels :mad:

That Armored Spider pissed me off so much because I kept wondering if there's a trick to the fight, got tired and ended up just bashing him on the head with my claymore.

Speaking of which, it seems like either I'm approaching the game from the wrong angle (since some mechanics are different than DkS) or my weapon just sucks because in Stonefang it takes a lot of effort to kill stuff. That one message said use piercing attacks so I did but then both Armored Spider and Flamelurker came and it took forever to kill them. I think I used someting insane like 30 moon grass on Flamelurker, but I beat him on first try :smug:

Compared to DkS it seems like more bosses have their own gimmick or require certain weapon/attack type/etc. Still can't get used to it. In Dark Souls I took the Large Club, pumped it to +15 and everything died.

Not to mention the stone farming, still reconciling with having to actually farm grey stones if I ever want to see my Crushing Claymore go past +3.

Last thing, it seems like I've seen 0 spell so far, is it because I'm doing the areas in a clockwise direction starting from the Boletarian Palace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

neetengie posted:

Oh no, if you have a certain amount of Int or Faith, you can get spells from the Nexus. Then you can unlock the better trainers from the worlds.
For bosses, Sticky White Stuff always helps.

Yeah, that makes sense, I haven't touched intelligence or faith at all, seeing as some bosses are much easier with it I might have to dabble.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Man, the ladders are killing me. I pushed the first world to Pure Black Tendency and after getting my rear end kicked by Executioner Miralda, I just shoved her down the slope next to her v:shobon:v Then I climbed the ladder. I think I might've been climbing about 30-45 seconds. Is there no way to speed it up?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Alright, so I'm about to dive in for the (almost) first time (I actually played about one or two worlds before, but that was months ago so I don't remember much) but FOR REAL now.

Can someone tell me about weapons and armor, I only played both Dark Souls but from what I remember some weapon types had more effect than others in DeS.

I tried most of the starting classes and I could probably go the standard sword & board heavy armored brawler guy, but I really liked the royalty start. I can parry semi-decently, the rapier seems really powerful and soul arrow seems crazy OP for the first world.

Are there any really good dexterity weapons later on? Or should I focus on quality build (I heard DeS is where it all started)? I think on my very first and now lost character I found/bought a claymore and it was OKAY. I also got some kind of big fuckoff hammer from the dragon head guy but not sure if that was any good since I never got to try it.

I know next to nothing about world tendency but I will go by friend's advice and just stick to the pure white for my first playthrough.

e: can you defeat the tutorial demon the first time you meet him?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go for a quality build, I think I haven't played a pure dex build before. What's bleed like in DeS? Good/bad?

If I'd chose to stick to the rapier, would it carry me through the whole game? I guess I'm looking for weapon that I wouldn't have to change in the middle of my playthrough because it ran out of steam.

I might poke my head into each of the worlds and see what I can find, when I played for a bit before I went clockwise but I've heard you can get some neat stuff from some of the other worlds early.

Is Blueblood Sword this game's Moonlight Sword?

re: Meat Cleaver, I think I got that weapon off one of the phantoms in the first world but it only unlocked after getting my world tendency down IIRC, can I get it some other way?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think I actually did choose the Temple Knight the first time I played. It was easy enough but I guess I'm just not too fond of halberds in general. I usually go for the biggest weapon I can find if the moveset doesn't suck.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
gently caress you didn't tell me 4-1 was bonewheel world before you sent me there for the sword :argh: Not to mention these guys are like bonewheels on crack.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think my impression is due to fighting them on SL1 whether I always fought them later on when I at least had a decent weapon and stats. I can imagine poking the gaps between their ribs with my rapier isn't the most efficient method how to dispose of them.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Could anyone tell me where Tales of Old plays? I probably missed it. It's such beautiful tune. Especially the bit at 0:57, gets me every time (is there a name for it, I wonder?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bbALTxXpg

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks!

I have to say that the story intro is super good (which makes the DSII intro even worse in retrospect, it was completely pointless and boring). The voice actress totally nailed the tone, and when she started enumerating names of the heroes I got chills (Sixth Saint Astrea!). Amazing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks for the tips! I switched to a decently upgraded long sword which can take them out in 3 hits, that's good enough for me. I managed to slog my way through to the end and kill the Adjudicator but then I found a secret passage and some super crazy black skeleton chopped me to pieces, seems like he had waaay more health than the other black skeletons I met so far. Since I couldn't find out how to continue I went to 2-1 and proceeeded to kill the Armored Spider, currently killing bugs.

So far I really love the tone of the game but I kinda hate the tendency, which is even worse because friend told me it supposedly constantly shifts according to other people's tendencies or something. That's pretty lovely. And the upgrade material system combined with item encumberance is making me want to scream in anger sometimes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Genocyber posted:

You're objectively wrong on this fyi

Yup! :hf:

e: but I like Dark Souls' soundtrack, too. It's different in tone but still very memorable and some of the boss themes are out of this world, guys: Ornstein & Smough, Sif the Great Grey Wolf and Gwyn, Lord of Cinder are my personal favorites. Firelink Theme is a given. DSII's Majula Theme is equally as great, the rest of the soundtrack is forgettable, though, most of them are super generic and sound kind of muddled, maybe it's because their volume is set too low?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 13, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I actually killed Flamelurker on my first try as a melee guy, but I think I used about 50 crescent moon grasses in the process :catstare: Using the sticky white stuff (eww) helped a lot.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I just did it as without a shield because I didn't want to look up where to obtain one with fire resistance, and it's relatively simple once you get the roll timings down pat. Fume Knight taught me well :f5:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Alright, yesterday I finished the last world (Valley of Defilement) and I have to say 5-2 is my least favourite of all the iterations of the poisonous swamp area archetype. From the most likeable to least likeable it's: Blighttown, Gutter and Valley of Defilement. To be precise, though, it's only the second area that I dislike because you can't see too far at all, so you're sort of wandering around. And then there's the meat cleaver black phantom that can roll while you can't and when you do you get stuck in the unable-to-roll animation and probably killed.

I'm really glad they decided to ditch the item encumbrance in the later Souls games. I will concede it made me use the stash for the first time and I actually had to think what to take with me in order to have space for armors I might find (goodbye Brushwood Armor).

Some of the boss runs where amazingly agonizing. Maneater was probably the worst because the black phantom Mindflayer is a super-dick. The regular ones are easy enough but he left little space in between casts for me to attack, I think he actually killed me more times than the boss, welp. I ended up casting Warding and wrecked him with Quality Kijil+5 with SWS.

Penetrator's twin pirouette never ceased to botch up my roll and get hit. Dirty Colossus and Leechmonger were probably the easiest bosses, Old Hero and Old Monk weren't hard at all, too. Maiden Astraea was an amazing encounter, more of those (I'm glad I was smart enough to take a bunch of Widow's Lotuses with me, I was expecting something to give me plague any minute once I found it).

The last thing I did was try to kill Old King Doran but he's a seriously buff guy, once he wielded his sword in two hands the proverbial poo poo hit the fan. I emerged victorious in the end but it was one of the most nerve-wrecking fights I had in the game.

In terms of weapons and armor, I ended up using the starting Rapier along with Kilij and Uchigatana (but mostly the first two). I crafted the Meat Cleaver but didn't like the moveset at all (tbh I didn't like any of the heavy weapon movesets, too many vertical smashes for my taste). I brought the fashion souls mindset with me to DeS so I just ended up wearing what looked best: Three-cornered Hat (seriously the best looking wizard-y hat in all the Souls games), Rogue's Clothes and Rogue's Boots and Silver Bracelet.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

neetengie posted:

Also while Valley of Defilement makes you slow as poo poo, have the Regen Ring on and your HP will drain really, really slowly.
e: Well slower than usual, the poison HP drain is already pretty slow compared to Dark Souls.

Yeah, this is the only thing that made it bearable for me. I think the regen ring is a bit too good, no wonder they mostly did away with it in the later games. Warding is way too good as well, it makes most of the bosses a complete joke.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Since we're recommending vids, I think you would enjoy someone talking at length about Demon's Souls. The guy's name is Matthewmatosis and his commentary is very insightful and intelligently put. There is no screaming, memes or poo poo like that, but I guarantee it is worth your time :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLItPEpkK7A

I even went and watched his other videos, they are all equally good. He also did one for DSII but none for DS1 as far as I know.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Mimics ain't got poo poo on folding chest skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
As someone who played the game for the first time like 3 weeks ago I'd definitely suggest looking up the crafting paths. Don't be afraid to hop from one world to a different one to see if there are any goodies that might help you when starting out. Archstones (bonfires) are only ever made available upon killing a boss so plan for that. Some enemies are much higher level (so to speak) in terms of HP and damage which doesn't really have any counterpart in Dark Souls 1/2 (except maybe the invaders) and it can catch you off-guard extremely easily. Store everything you don't critically need with Stockpile Thomas (a living item box) because apart from equipment encumbrance there's a item weight limit. This can easily bite you in the rear end when you want to loot an armor and don't have enough space because it will despawn forever if you leave the area. Some weapons are more effective than others against certain enemies so if you suddenly do pitiful amounts of damage try a weapon with different damage type (normal/blunt/slashing/piercing). Get a bow.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 4, 2014

• Locked thread