Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

So I just got back into Demon's Souls after having sort-of quit my royal I was playing, he was a mix and match magic/sword kind of guy and I was enjoying him but I figured I'd rather play the game through with a melee focused character. (Only got my other one to SL 36 anyways)
It took a bit of getting used to, but I actually really like the way the two-handed halberd attacks so I was thinking of upgrading it once I get further into the game.
Is this a bad idea? Is there a fundamentally better equivalent or close weapon to the halberd I could try out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sounds like I'm going with a halberd then, thanks for the advice.
Gonna go grab the Adjudicators Shield from 3-1 and then run through 1-2 and 2-1 for some stones to upgrade my halberd.
e: 4-1 for the shield..

Ahaha, trying to grab the Crescent Falchion +1 was a terrible idea.

Read fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 21, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Dicking around in 4-1 in my body and I get invaded, "cool" I think to myself.
Sneak up on the guy and get a backstab in, he rolls away and heals. gently caress.
We start going at it, he's almost dead and...
I roll off the cliff.
gently caress me.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fiannaiocht posted:

I've been playing through the game just arrow/soul raying all the bosses and it just doesn't feel right. Is the most legitimate way to play the game melee only? Is there a point in raising vit/end/armor if you're supposed to dodge everything? Is 120 the most common SL? What's the deal with those corpse balls?

Magic is super easymode, melee is much more rewarding and much more difficult.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

L-O-N posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to kill a black phantom to up character tendency. So joining a game as a blue phantom does nothing either unless someone invades the host.

What SL are you? I can make myself a body and try and invade you if we're close.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

L-O-N posted:

I'm level 24. If you or anyone else can invade me in 5-1 that would be great. I'm at the beginning of that level at the top of the first platform.

PSN for this character: NostalgicHeretic

I'm 29, lemme come invade you.

e: I was playing 20~ minutes ago, but now it says my PS3 firmware needs updating. I'll be on in a bit if someone else doesn't get there first.

e: Messaged you, forgot I haven't gotten a black stone on this character yet. My bad.

Read fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 23, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you use heavy weapons the girls have better light armor. If you use light weapons males have stronger armor to fill up your spare endurance. Everything else is pretty much the same, and armor doesn't matter that much anyway.

Excuse me, how I look when I'm slicing up people with my Meat Cleaver definitely matters. :colbert:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Makes a change from all the numerous universe eating Gods of other games

I'm thinking about getting back into this again soonish, I left off with world 2 and 4 complete and stuck in the maneater battle, which I kept losing on account of being a dodge character and falling off the stage a lot. Can you bring blue phantoms into boss battles?

Yup, that's actually the main purpose of summoning them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Maybe I should quit, I'm in New Game 7 and still level 120, summoning blue phantoms to watch them get raped by monsters is pretty mean.

I dunno, that sounds pretty hilarious to me.

The Meat Cleaver has an S in both DEX and STR, am I right in thinking I'd be best off pushing those two to 30-ish? At the moment my character has..

V 17
W 14
E 28
S 28
D 30
M 10
F 16
L 6

Which puts me at SL 70.

Any problems there either? I don't want to mess my character up ):, I've mostly just been doing what makes sense to me.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

AuntJemima posted:

A couple of questions; why does everyone talk about soul level 120? Is that the final level? And if you and a friend were playing and wanted to summon him to your game how would you go about that? Since so far everyone is just the same apparition running through the worlds would you just have to get lucky? I don't know much about online yet.
SL 120 is the most common PVP level, so if you're looking to invade a lot or be invaded you'll want to stop around there.

The max level is 8 * 99 (8 attributes each maxing out at level 99) making 792.

The multiplayer is divided into PVP and co-op modes.

A player can attempt to invade a world by placing down a "Black Eye Stone" (PVP mode) in the world they wish to invade, if successful they can track down the player (randomly chosen from within +/- 10 levels + 10% of their own soul level) who's world they invaded and kill them.

Alternatively a player can choose to set down a "Blue Eye Stone" (Co-op) with the same level range restrictions, but whereas the invaded player has no choice in the matter for PVP, the "host" has to choose to summon a blue phantom by interacting with the sign their blue eye stone creates in the world (wherever they placed it). Blue phantoms can play through the level with you, helping you defeat monsters and even going into the boss with you.

Both of these require that the "host" player be in body form and the player setting down the stone be in soul form.

When a player is invaded the message "<PSN ID> has invaded!!!" appears, and when interacting with a blue soul sign to summon someone their PSN ID also appears.

e: You receive the Black Eye Stone as loot from your first Black Phantom kill, player or otherwise. Blue and White Eye Stones are received following the Phalanx boss battle and a "Red Eye Stone" allowing for consensual duels between players can be obtained but the method to do so is rather spoilery.

If you want to play with your friend I suggest agreeing on a time, world and place for one of you to set down your blue eye stone. Preferably somewhere out of the way so someone else won't summon one of you.

More detail on Demon's Souls online features.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 12, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

I never turn on my PS3 except to make sure it still works (I won it at a wedding) but Dark Souls has me very interested in actually using the thing. Do you think I would be missing out if I passed up on Demon Souls before I played Dark Souls? From what I can tell, Dark Souls just looks 100% better in every area so as someone with a huge PC game backlog that has no shortage of games to play, do you think I need to play both games to really enjoy Dark Souls?

PS: I like pain.

As far as plot goes, you won't be missing out on anything as the games don't share a contiguous plot or even universe for that matter.

If you have the opportunity though, I'd recommend you at least try it out. It's a very unique game and having played it I can barely wait for Dark Souls to come out. If the idea of Dark Souls appeals to you, I'm sure Demon's Souls will be worth playing.

Read fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 12, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

So this post isn't completely redundant, I have question: I recently rolled a Faith build and I got up to 4-2, but I keep getting my rear end handed to me by the two Golden Skeletons and the flying stingrays on my way to the second Reaper. I'm running a pure melee build (with the +1 Blessed Mace) and don't have a ranged weapon, and every time I try to attack the skeletons I either get overwhelmed, guard broken and killed or the stingrays hitstun me then I get throttled. Is there a better way to do this or should I just bite the bullet, get some arrows and do a ranged strategy?

The Storm Beasts can be a real nuisance, so you're going to want a bow to deal with them. You can find a Compound Long Bow (Which you can make into a +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow, the best bow in the game) in 4-1 and it's dropped by the skeleton archers in 4-2, but if you can't wield that there's always the short bow.

As for the Golden Skeletons, provided you've dealt with the normal skeletons before them, it's best to try and isolate one of the golden skeletons to deal with at a time (get them to notice you and start chasing you, then run away, the difference in distance between the two of them should mean you can get one to forget about you while the other follows. There's an area bordered by a fence before the golden skeletons, I usually drag them up to there to deal with them.

vv: I completely forgot about that, the thief's ring should stop the stingrays from attacking you. It's worth noting that Skeletons are weak to blunt damage, so he'll probably do more damage with his Blessed Mace unless he has something capable of dealing high magic damage.

Read fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

Oh, so you wanted to do PvP? My bad then; I should've asked you to clarify. Yeah, go with Sheep-Goat's advice. You'll want to stop around SL 120, but a little higher or lower shouldn't hurt you that badly. 120 seems to be the popular stopping point and the limit on who you can interact with is +/- 10 levels from you, though I'd be happy if someone corrected me if having a slightly higher soul level does matter that much. Sorry if I ended up steering you the wrong way for a bit there.

You're actually allowed +/- 10 + 10% of your soul level, so at 120 that makes your range 98 to 144.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I didn't realize you were supposed to fight the Penetrator with Biorr ):, I almost died fighting him.
vv: Why would you not bring Biorr? Am I missing something?

Read fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 13, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Eerkik posted:

On my first play through I killed Biorr for his armor. Probably not the best idea, though.

How could you, I felt bad just watching my friend kill Yuria.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

So I just realised getting Light Weapon instead of Cursed Weapon was probably a lovely idea considering my pitiful 10 magic, anyone up for duping their Silver Demon's Soul (Penetrator) for me? I'm around SL 75.
vv: Well gently caress ):

e: Cool, so if anyone is up for doing what Sheep-Goats said that'd be awesome.

Read fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 16, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

WASDF posted:

I'm trying to finish this before Dark Souls comes out so I decided to roll a new character. I chose Knight cause I wanna go Vitality/Endurance/Strength/Dexterity character (and maybe enough to get a healing spell later). I've finished 1-1,1-2, and just now 2-1 and I know how much of a pain Flamelurker is, at least to me.

I need some good early gear. I know of the Purple Flame Shield but I forgot to get it before I killed Phalanx and I'm not sure if it sticks around when the Dragons leave or not. I'm using a Broadsword + Spear at the moment and all the rest is default gear and it's not good enough. So, any early pro-tips or knowledge of early level gear would be greatly appreciated.

Both the Purple Flame Shield and the Ring of Flame Resistance are available at the dragon's nest, all the dragons leaving does is make them easier to loot. Doomfunk already discussed magic weapons but while on the topic of magic, if you're willing to raise your magic to 10 you can pick up water veil to reduce the damage you take further.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fish-O posted:

I wish the Demon's Souls wiki had a section that classified weapons by moveset. I finally took the Dragon Bone Smasher out for a spin, only to find out its moveset is more like the greatsword than the Meat Cleaver.

The attribute that determines a weapon's moveset is the weapon type. Large sword or hammer for instance.

e: I didn't see the "wiki had" part. :downs:

Read fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 5, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Of course the first lizard I kill on my Meat Cleaver character drops a pure moonlightstone, why couldn't that have been on my mage hybrid. :suicide:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

WASDF posted:

I managed to kill him in kind of a cheese way. I just equipped Thieve's Ring and Clever Rat (I think that is what it's called) and just shot him with Arrows until he was at like 20% and finished him off. He was pissing me off a lot and I didn't want to die anymore and have to dodge the dragon over and over again.

You can kill the dragon, fyi. Shoot it full of arrows whilst below it's head at the top of the stairs. Too late now though, it poofs when you kill the False King.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

bobservo posted:

I finished it today and am very proud of myself. New Game + is too much for me though.

If you have it (I hope you do) liberal application of warding is very useful.

In regards to the blue dragon, I just finished a run through of the game with a mage hybrid (two-handing a moon crescent axe +5 and supplementing with magic) and hyper mode + soul ray made short work of the dragon.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait you got that far on level 1 and the false king is stone walling you?

Have you pretty much just gotten lucky before 1-4?

I don't know what game you played but the false king is among the most aggressive melee bosses and has ranged attacks to complement his speed.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Koops posted:

Here you go.

The only advice in there I'd disagree with is not to try to play through with melee on your first run. While the game is certainly made easier by having ranged attacks to rely on it isn't terribly more difficult without them. Personally I find it much more rewarding to use melee.

A few other things:
10 in the respective stat (magic/faith) is required to learn spells or miracles from all but one of the magic tutors in the game and both of the miracle tutors.

The game lets you play through it again and again with the same character once you've beaten it, so don't sweat it if you miss some drop or misuse an item.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

redreader posted:

Astrea counts towards Character Tendency? gently caress THAT GAME FOREVER, that's why I needed to to another playthrough. I really couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.

Pretty sure she doesn't, despite what she says Astraea has allowed a demon to take over her body and Garl is blind to this and is preventing you from killing her, the character is justified in killing them. They are shadows of their former selves.
I think what Shlapintogan meant was avoid ending the game by killing all the archdemons.

Read fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 23, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Oldstench posted:

So, I've had this game for about 8 months or so but have never beaten it - just gotten frustrated with it after dying in 2-2 and 5-1 over and over. At any rate, I dusted it off and am really getting back into it wanting to beat it before Dark Souls. I decided to just play a Soldier and melee my way through it. I also don't want to hit up any guides as I want to beat it (mostly) on my own. My question is, does it hurt me to spend some souls/sharpstone to upgrade my starting sword to +2 or +3 before I find a good sword? I really don't want to gimp myself. Is there an "ideal" weapon for a STR based Soldier?

Sharpstone and Hardstone are the most abundant stones in the game and souls come easier and easier as time goes on, if you find yourself needing the extra damage go for it. As it happens, the upgrade category for strength is the crushing line which is made with greystone. You can find such a weapon in 2-1, the Crushing Great Axe +1 above the entrance where the rocks come down from. There is also a world tendency event sword that gives a high strength bonus and is quite powerful, it is the Dragon Bone Smasher which appears in 2-3 to the left of the entrance during Pure White World Tendency. Generally speaking though, there aren't too many "best" weapons for any build. Just several highly recommended ones.

Some advice for 2-2, there is a shortcut down to the boss fight if you wish to take it as well as one that takes you about midway through the level.
For 5-1, the enemies are in fact weak to fire and so can be dealt with much more easily if your weapon deals fire damage. Such a weapon can be found in 2-2, the Dragon Longsword +1, in the lower catacombs.

e: Incidentally, showing the world tendency sword I mentioned earlier to a certain NPC in Pure White tendency will net you a very useful item for a strength build, a Pure Greystone.

Read fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 25, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

Freke teaches Demon's Souls spells which are the better ones anyway.
e: besides the spell you get from clearing 3-1 is pretty awesome, as well as access to the Once Royal Maiden for spice so you can get more mana. She also sells some grass that should be a 100% heal for the first play through, and be good enough for new games.
Also world 3 is my favorite, loving mindflayers are so annoying at first, but once you figure them out they are a joke.

On my very first run through of the game, I managed to get disoriented in 3-1 and so I hated it for the longest time. Now that I'm used to it though, I appreciate the atmosphere a lot more. It is a very well done world.

e: Now I'm kind of tempted to go play through the game again with a female strength build. I always thought Miralda looked cool with the Binded Set and the Guillotine Axe ):.

Read fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 25, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

StringOfLetters posted:

You can also get your body back by laying down a blue sign and helping someone else through a level, even one you've already finished. :) Find a boss that you're pretty good at dealing with in a high-traffic whatever-your-level-is area, walk back ten feet from his archstone to get past the fog door, and lay down some blue. Dudes will be thrilled to have your assistance, and it's basically the only way to get your soul white-ified.

Also yes the dark silver shield is a fine thing to upgrade. It's pretty much the best light shield, and it scales up pretty nicely.

If you're very strength-y, use your colorless souls on the Dragon Bone Smasher. If you're very spells-y, use them on your magic-boosting mystic kris spiral choppy thing. If you use things two-handed all the time, upgrade the adjudicator's shield and keep it on your back. I guess if you have a ton of faith, the moonlight sword gets better? Most other special items have crappy marginal upgrades.

The moonlight sword is always terrible and the rest of that advice is completely sound. All three of the top shields are worth spending the souls on. The adjudicator maxed out is very nice for completely negating poison damage with it's regen.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Level One run is the best IMO (pick a royal, play melee only, upgrade any equipment you like, but never gain a level from the Candle Maiden) but the most ridic one is the Scavenger Run. Start as a Temple Knight and never spend a soul, you have to get by on what you find on the ground. Whether grass farming is allowed or not is up to you, but remember, no upgrading because blacksmiths and the Candle Maiden require souls for that.

Don't break your Crescent Falchion too early!

Before anyone asks, yes these are both possible and yes people have done both of them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

evilalien posted:

It's 1% of your max HP per second when cast with a Catalyst that you have the stats for. A maxed out Adjudicator's Shield regens 8 HP/s so unless you have a huge pool of health, it should compensate.

With 40 Vitality you have 1325 hp so you lose 13 hp a second, and with 50 vitality you have 1500 hp so 15 hp a second. That's why it isn't worth using a talisman/catalyst you have the stats for. If you use a ToB without the stats you only lose 1 HP / sec.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Satanos posted:

That's strange, I was under the impression that the gate never closed once it was open. Assuming you did the whole world over a period of days then your World Tendency will have reset every time you turned on your PS3 (assuming you're online).

That is how it acts, might be some bug with it.
Once the gate opens it is permanently open for that playthrough.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Satanos posted:

You know the three Black Phantoms in 1-4? Are they meant to be the black phantom forms of the three Demons you fight prior to that stage? I mean they're abviously meant to at leats mirror them, what with their equipment, but are they meant to be the same heroes-turned-demons from Biorr/Ostrava's history lessons?

That's pretty much how I always interpreted it, but like a lot of the Demon's Souls lore it's pretty wide and open to interpretation.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Reive posted:

Sound like a plan then, and the BBS build sounds like it would suit my abilities very well, I think I'll go for it but since I'm a little off balanced for that particular version of the build (high str and int) what should I focus on?

Also any recommendations on what light armor I should get?

Black Leather is some pretty standard light armour that offers good poison resistance but not that great damage resistance, if you're female the Binded Set is the best armour period.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

redreader posted:

I couldn't take the wait so I started a new character, knight and going for a faith build for pvp. Sheep-goats, I summon thee to recommend me stuff! I want something overpowered to make other people cry in pvp. I am not going to restart or do soul level drains or whatever. I'm ok with being sl 130, it's still within The Range of 120.

Sounds to me like you want the standard Blessed Mirdan Hammer build since it's among the most broken in the game!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The only two three fights I ever had problems with were Old King Doran (holy gently caress that fight), the False King and the Old Monk.

I think it's pretty self evident why the Old King is hard as balls to anyone who beat him without cheesing but gently caress. Not only does he; hit hard, hit fast and attack aggressively. He also took next to no damage from my spells or Crescent Moon Axe +5 so the battle was long and there were loads of opportunities for gently caress ups.

The False King was made much more difficult for me by the fact that I was using a pretty slow weapon, and It took me 4 or 5 deaths before I decided I had to up my vitality to stand a chance.

The Old Monk is super super easy if you do it offline, but the black phantoms that were summoned for me were all (except for the last one) very good PVP build players. I think the first three used Meat Cleavers, the fourth one was a pure mage who caught me with a firestorm and the last one was a DBS build which I had no problem with.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Went back and you guys were right. The actual boss is kinda disappointing after the zomboball, though.

I can't wait for you to fight the boss of 3-2 :allears:.
You'd better post about it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Okay. 5-2 time in my NG+. Been putting this bullshit off.

You can't avoid it forever ):.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Farming Cloudstone Chunks on a NG+ is loving torture. I might try this duping thing.

Update... Hahaha what the gently caress. It turned my three chunks into 1023. Guess that should be enough.

It overflows the value for the item, which bumps it up to (2^10)-1. That's where the 1023 came from.

Also 2 shotting the dragon with Firestorm is the best way. Though smacking him with the DBS / Meat Cleaver is pretty fun.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm discovering that Demons' Souls PvP is one of the worst multiplayer experiences I've ever had, speaking as someone playing this game for the first time.

Typical PvP experience goes something like this:

Black Phantom Invades!

I turn around and look, find the phantom. We dodge around eachother for a few seconds, I take some swings, then get one-shot killed by whatever crazy-rear end weapon the other guy's got.

I can see it being fun if you've sort of grown up with the player base, but the skill-level matching is a serious failure in terms of providing a fun multiplayer experience.

Yeah, it's pretty unforgiving especially if you get caught in one of the PvP hotspot level ranges. Like you said, it's amazing if you grew up with the player base and so you're not just horribly outmatched, but otherwise I can see it just feeling unfair and frusterating.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

I picked up this game on Friday night, and eight hours (and surprisingly little progress) later I think I may be getting the hang of things. (I spent a lot of time in 1-1 playing grab rear end with the Red Eyes Knight, which really helped me get over that whole 'caring about dying' thing.)

One of the things that still befuddles me, though, is the tendency mechanic. Apparently the world is going to be switching to all black tendency for the rest of the month. I just killed the Tower Knight in the first level, and the Armor Spider in the second -- i.e. not terribly far in the game, certainly not to the point of farming drops and such. Is my experience going to change appreciably with the change in tendency, and is there anything I should know?

Also: when you're alive in this game, you get to use your full HP bar, I can summon blue phantoms, and people can come into the game and kick my rear end. In soul form, I'm quieter but have less HP. It actually seems better to be in soul form, to me. Am I missing something? There is so much going on in this game.

Arguably a poor decision on the part of the developers, the World and Character Tendency mechanics were intended to be confusing and poorly documented to encourage a community to form around helping each other understand it and work together. Many many people play through the entire game their first time around without really being aware Tendency exists.

Because you started playing the game during the Pure White World Tendency event, you were fighting enemies with reduced health and attack power while simultaneously receiving a +20% damage modifier for yourself. Less importantly at the moment, enemies also drop more healing items and fewer upgrade stones in Pure White tendency.

The change over to Black World Tendency would already make the game considerably harder but it's potentially going to be even more drastic because you've been playing on the opposite extreme.
Changes you can expect from Pure Black World Tendency: Reduced soul form HP probably in the region of 7.5%-5% decrease in max HP. A reduction in damage you deal (this is only relative to Pure White, Pure Black itself doesn't reduce your damage, you just don't have the PW bonus), an increase in damage you take, an increase in enemy health and souls.

There are also a couple of World Tendency events that are triggered by the two extremes of World Tendency: Pure White/White and Pure Black/Black. While the Pure White events are generally purely beneficial, the Pure Black ones tend to involve the appearance of very powerful Black Phantom NPCs / mobs. These sometimes have unique loot, always give considerably more souls than their normal forms (in regards to Black Phantom versions of mobs) and are much much more difficult to defeat.

Look out for glowing black/red enemies and take a great deal of care in dealing with them, because of the way Demon's Souls plays it is almost always possible to defeat a given enemy but that requires being very familiar with the game if you want to do it at a low level or with poor equipment.

In regards to your question about Soul vs Body form, generally speaking it is safer and smarter to just run through the game in Soul form. There aren't many times where you're going to need the extra HP from body form and the risk of being invaded is often not worth it. That having been said, if you're finding you're stuck at a certain point in the game you can generally find some help in the form of Blue Phantoms and that can make Body form worthwhile.

If you want some spoiler-free warnings about Black Phantoms / Pure Black World Tendency events in the game, just ask and I'll write some out in the form of: Watch out for an X near Y area in Z level, or something similar.

e: The Demon's Souls wiki is very well done and comprehensive, if you ever need some specific information nobody will fault you for using it, Demon's Souls can be a very unforgiving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

Thanks for the lengthy response -- I'll probably come back a couple of times to reference it.

I had a feeling that the white tendency was making things a bit easier. The reputation of the game preceded it, and moment to moment combat felt a little easy. Now we'll see what its like when all those bonuses go away...

:negative:

I'm considering suicide right now to get rid of my human form. I'm terrified of someone coming into my game to wreck my poo poo, and I like the idea of being quieter. I found that ring that reduces the HP lost from going to soul form anyhow, so hopefully it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Another thing I forgot to mention with regards to world tendency, it runs on a scale of +3 to -4, with Pure White/Black being on either end. Dying in body form is a -1 to that scale in whatever world you died in. At the moment this doesn't matter however, since World Tendencies are forced to what they are by the event.

If you want to dump your body without affecting world tendency, you can make a suicide jump off the upper ledges in the Nexus. Repeatedly suiciding and recovering your body with Stones of Ephemeral Eyes is a popular method of intentionally dropping World Tendency when you want to get at some juicy Pure Black tendency events.

^^: I'm broke at the moment so I have to hold off on getting Dark Souls ):, really looking forward to it when I get my hands on it :>.

• Locked thread